I cannot access my job's VPN from home

• 8 January 2021
  • 54 replies

Show first post

54 replies

Following - similar boat here, GlobalProtect VPN does not want to play nice with the T-Mobile home internet apparently. :( 

Odd I haven't had any issues with globalprotect VPN I'm having issues with Citrix workspace that we use to access a virtual application 

Sorry for the delay.  Basically it is an IPv4 vs v6 issue and my IT says they are not going to re-provision the network to work with TMobile's IPv6 network. Here is what Tmob sent me in an email:

"There are no known issues with VPNs and how they interact with the T-Mobile network to provide internet service. There may be an underlying factor (that can only be addressed by the owner of that VPN client) where there is a need to have ipv4 and ipv6 double stacked into the setup configuration to avoid any service issues. Please have the customer reach out to their VPN client support to check if this is indeed the configuration being used and to also further troubleshoot the VPN issue.   

Failed outbound VPN connection is caused by a known carrier grade NAT issue relating to T-Mobile’s implementation a fully IPv6 network and the implementation of 464XLAT, NAT64, and DNS64 for accessing IPv4 resources. The customer’s VPN or VPN server they are connecting to is not properly configured to work with an IPv6 network. This is a third party issue that T-Mobile cannot help with."

That is a bold faced lie- if it was a third party issue with the VPN then why does everything work perfectly on my Verizon hotspot and it worked on my CenturyLink WiFi but suddenly I switch to T-Mobile and I can't access Citrix workspace VPN it just keeps disconnecting 

@IXO how do i go about changing the Protcols?  I’m not in our IT department. Is that something i can do on my own?

The firmware update Tmobile did had fixed the issue when i was using my work laptop, but I still have issues when trying to sign in from my personal laptop.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

However, I can connect to my home OpenVPN server using an OpenVPN client app on my phone. It just took some fiddling with the settings. I suggest you get with your IT folks and have them diagnose the connection IRT.

How were you able to get OpenVPN working to your home server?
That’s all i want to do is to be able to connect to my home network from my phone but with double NAT and no port forwarding, I assumed that was not possible.
Are you using a separate service like “remote.it” or similar to reach your home network?
Can you elaborate on how you are reaching your home server from outside your home?
Thanks for your help!

Would be interested as well.  Still on the older white boxes, but need to be able to remote in and can't because port-forwarding and even DMZ is broken. Tried running OVPN on my Asus to put my whole network on a VPN in an effort to do something about it, but no luck.  Was an automated script from my provider for the OVPN config, perhaps there is something I need to edit in?

I run Big-IP Edge Client with TMobile 5G Gateway.  I just started using TMobile 5G, I switched from AT&T FiberOptics because of the difference in price $30 TMobile 5G and $80 AT&T FiberOptics.  Now, I realize that I cannot connect to VPN to connect to work.  I have made a terrible mistake.  Anyone know how to get an IP address assigned from the gateway?

For those keeping score at home, although I didn’t do much testing (wife’s employer’s VPN), it also doesn’t work with GlobalProtect VPN.  I had hoped to switch from Spectrum, but I don’t have VPN issues with Cisco AnyConnect or GlobalProtect on Spectrum.  Unfortunately it’s looking like the switch is on hold for now.

I run Big-IP Edge Client with TMobile 5G Gateway.  I just started using TMobile 5G, I switched from AT&T FiberOptics because of the difference in price $30 TMobile 5G and $80 AT&T FiberOptics.  Now, I realize that I cannot connect to VPN to connect to work.  I have made a terrible mistake.  Anyone know how to get an IP address assigned from the gateway?

I had the same problem and installed an Eero Mesh Network (and no, I don’t work for Eero or T-Mo). I got the Pro 6E version so cannot vouch for anything else. But I installed it, and it just worked. Nothing fancy, now changing the MTU, no bridge, just out of the box.

It also expanded coverage to all corners of my house.

Good luck.

Badge

I’m on the latest firmware and had no issues with AnyConnect. I had issues with OpenVPN and Tunnelblick (3 different servers). I could ping everything and dig but browsers simply don’t work.

Based on the previous comment yesterday on the client side (Tunnelblick) I’ve changed MTU down to 1380 (you need to set “mssfix 1420” in the client’s config) and “magically” the problem was gone.

Badge

I’m on the latest firmware and had no issues with AnyConnect. I had issues with OpenVPN and Tunnelblick (3 different servers). I could ping everything and dig but browsers simply don’t work.

Based on the previous comment yesterday on the client side (Tunnelblick) I’ve changed MTU down to 1380 (you need to set “mssfix 1420” in the client’s config) and “magically” the problem was gone.

Next day 2 VPNs failed to connect :( Only one out of 3 did work.

Following - similar boat here, GlobalProtect VPN does not want to play nice with the T-Mobile home internet apparently. :( 

Same thing here!!! 😡

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mine was just the MTU issue, was able to resolve it by lowering the number. If this blog can be helpful for anyone to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:
https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

Is this a confirmed fix for the GlobalConnect issue?

It connects just fine but the sites I need to access do not load.

Funny, sometimes I don’t feel like running an Ethernet cord through my home, and sometimes it has worked on Wi-Fi (work sites) and other times it refuses to load - and as soon as I plug in this stupid cord  - it works just fine…

This is quite cumbersome, it’s 2021 like “VPN” Ethernet just WORK jeez all these “so called security” protocols - data bases and data still getting hacked and sold - I don’t mind the “VPN” but we are in a wireless world - I almost feel like it isn’t a T-Mobile “issue” as much as its a silly “security” or some odd setting - also if the issue is with the MTU being the lowest on the T-Mo Nokia router then why don’t T-Mobile do a firmware update and just use the MAX size - what is the delay - I just dont understand - I wonder if my IT team will eve given admin access to try this - it really sucks because I don’t want to have to use Comcast - but yea the irony of not being able to use T-Mobile “home” internet and you…….

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have no issues with Pulse Secure.

Userlevel 1

Mine was just the MTU issue, was able to resolve it by lowering the number. If this blog can be helpful for anyone to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:
https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

Is this a confirmed fix for the GlobalConnect issue?

It connects just fine but the sites I need to access do not load.

Funny, sometimes I don’t feel like running an Ethernet cord through my home, and sometimes it has worked on Wi-Fi (work sites) and other times it refuses to load - and as soon as I plug in this stupid cord  - it works just fine…

This is quite cumbersome, it’s 2021 like “VPN” Ethernet just WORK jeez all these “so called security” protocols - data bases and data still getting hacked and sold - I don’t mind the “VPN” but we are in a wireless world - I almost feel like it isn’t a T-Mobile “issue” as much as its a silly “security” or some odd setting - also if the issue is with the MTU being the lowest on the T-Mo Nokia router then why don’t T-Mobile do a firmware update and just use the MAX size - what is the delay - I just dont understand - I wonder if my IT team will eve given admin access to try this - it really sucks because I don’t want to have to use Comcast - but yea the irony of not being able to use T-Mobile “home” internet and you…….

Yes its a confirmed fix. I have been using it without issue over a month now. I don’t know when T-Mobile will fix this issue in their gateway, but meanwhile lowering MTU on VPN interface is non-harmful in every way, so your IT team shouldn’t have any concern setting this one up for you. Since you don’t have admin access, make sure to ask them to set the sh script (as explained in the blog) to run on every restart as the VPN interface resets itself everytime on restarts.

Any luck with a good solution for this? I  have NOK 5G21 GATEWAY GRY KIT. My company uses Cisco Anyconnect to VPN through company laptop. And VMware Horizon Client to remote in from personal laptop. My company blames T-mobile, and t-mobile blames my company. It works perfectly fine from my friend’s internet (internet from other company), but I have issue when trying from t-mobile wireless internet. At this point I don’t see any option other than switching company for internet. 

Badge

I have a similar but different problem. Like you, i also have a company provided laptop and a vpn client. but my problem is dns resolution fails while on the vpn. luckily i hadn’t shut off my cricket data plan yet so i’m just able to route traffic from my work machine to the cricket modem only, rather than letting the bonding router handle failover/load balancing like it does for all other traffic. i also had difficulty staying connected on ps5 to online games, so i routed that traffic through the cricket modem as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

IPv4 address availability is a big issue, which is why the world is going to v6 addressing. At one time, T-Mobile offered an unlimited data add-on called “VPN Total Internet” which provided a real IPv4 address, albeit firewalled. This hasn’t been available for some time.  All T-Mobile IPv4 connections are heavily NATed and firewalled. 

However, I can connect to my home OpenVPN server using an OpenVPN client app on my phone. It just took some fiddling with the settings. I suggest you get with your IT folks and have them diagnose the connection IRT.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks everyone!  I have not heard back from TMobile.  I am going to reach out to my IT dept and relay the info about the IPv4.  I actually recall them mentioning it a while back when I transitioned to home.  I let you know how it all works out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update.  Turns out the event log says I am getting an 809 error.  IT asked me to relay this to TMobile when they respond. Still hopeful. 

Badge

Update.  Turns out the event log says I am getting an 809 error.  IT asked me to relay this to TMobile when they respond. Still hopeful. 

Worst case is with the BS that T-mobile is doing with their gateway and internal networking… You could always ask your IT department to provision you on a WVD through Azure (if you have it) or they could setup you up with RDS web browser access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m not sure if “809 error” will help with diagnosing the issue. Error numbers are assigned by the programmer who wrote the application. You’d need to be very familiar with VPN server software your company is using to be able to decode the meaning of that number. As it is, we don’t even know which of a half-dozen popular VPN protocols is being employed. The IT guy needs to provide a description of the problem (e.g. “IP Port #5534 is blocked”).

Right now, the regular participants in the forum are just learning about Home Internet issues. As usual with T-Mobile, the official company line is “No worries, man. Everything is working fine” There are no online manuals available that would help us figure out what’s going on.

In the end, the best solution may be to revert to cable or DSL.

P.S. The company who wrote the VPN server software should have also provided diagnostic software and procedures that can tell exactly why it’s not working. In words, not codes.

We are having the same issue. My wife is having problems working from home when connected through the 5G router. All pages load fine when connected through the CenturyLink router, but do not load when connected through the 5G router. Will have to cancel T-Mobile internet. Disappointing since it is much faster than our DSL. But if certain web pages won't load....

After spending the better part of two days trying to get my VPN working (using the built in Microsoft VPN software) it looks like there is no solution.

I was on Twitter DMs with T-Mo support, and after telling them what I did (MTU, Dropping IPV6, rebooting numerous times) they replied thusly:

It seems like you truly have done the steps we recommend and if multiple VPNs are not working we may not be able to get them to agree with the service. I know the VPN is crucial, I have to use one for work and I know tons of people use VPN for that. We may not always go the route of suggesting to cancel service or have that talk that the home internet service is not for you but at the end of the day our number one goal is to make sure our services do the job, and if they do not, I don't want to take your money for something like that.

I admire them for being willing to tell me this, and to lose me as a customer. It is refreshing to see this, as sad as I am to not have a solution

I am still trying to find a way to keep using them (I seldom use VPN, my wife needs it more frequently than I do, and we are looking for another solution)

So this is probably an overly simple solutions and beyond the issues that you are all having but just for us common folks out there - I just got the Inseego hotspot and tried to connect to office VPN through FortiClient.  It didn’t work so I ended up here.

Anyway, on my computer, I right clicked the internet icon on my task bar, selected Properties on the Mifi device which brought up Settings.  From there, I changed Network profile from Public to Private.  It’s working now - fingers crossed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So this is probably an overly simple solutions and beyond the issues that you are all having but just for us common folks out there - I just got the Inseego hotspot and tried to connect to office VPN through FortiClient.  It didn’t work so I ended up here.

Anyway, on my computer, I right clicked the internet icon on my task bar, selected Properties on the Mifi device which brought up Settings.  From there, I changed Network profile from Public to Private.  It’s working now - fingers crossed.

Yes - I shared this comment (somewhere lol) changing it from Public to Private allows TMHI to connect to the VPN over Wi-Fi - on SW version .168 - hopefully whatever comes after .178 is better - .178 breaks VPN access for me public,private Wi-Fi or Ethernet -

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I guess I will find out as I just ordered the service but seems backordered till mid Sept.

Odd is I have PIA VPN on my phone and that works always no issue I wonder why the gateway on the same network would be so different.