Badge

Netflix no longer able to stream on Gateway internet

icon

Best answer by Blava_Highlander 8 December 2022, 21:48

View original

78 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It is an odd issue and hard to nail down. I have the Nokia as I stated and it works for me here and I do have  Cloud Flare set on my MacBook Pro for DNS. Yes, no issue here for me. I don’t run an additional router or any extenders. I have been trying to see if there are some hard clues. The packet captures where the HTTPS fails authentication for two different users seemed like a good start. Still I think there are more common datapoints that are not recorded. Almost need a laundry list of variables to look for common elements to pull it all apart. I still can’t seem to ignore the two users that have the packet captures showing the issue with HTTPS. If the session authentication fails then of course the mission fails. Why, what is the trigger? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It is an odd issue and hard to nail down. I have the Nokia as I stated and it works for me here and I do have  Cloud Flare set on my MacBook Pro for DNS. Yes, no issue here for me. I don’t run an additional router or any extenders. I have been trying to see if there are some hard clues. The packet captures where the HTTPS fails authentication for two different users seemed like a good start. Still I think there are more common datapoints that are not recorded. Almost need a laundry list of variables to look for common elements to pull it all apart. I still can’t seem to ignore the two users that have the packet captures showing the issue with HTTPS. If the session authentication fails then of course the mission fails. Why, what is the trigger? 

Personally, I think it’s a caused by using TMO router’s default DNS. When I first used the TMO router as a stand alone, I had random connectivity issues (not all websites and not all devices). That all went away when I changed to Cloud Flare DNS on my Asus mesh.

Unfortunately the TMO Routers cannot change DNS servers so you can only change DNS at the device level if your device allows it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The issue or problem with the DNS resolution has to be related to the 464XLAT delivery. I have seen that issue as well. I just changed my clients to use Cloud Flare and it was a quick fix. The refresh time to the gateways or the gateway firmware just probably does not refresh properly so the entries get stale. If you reboot the gateway to fix that issue sure it forces the DNS refresh. That is just an extreme way to resolve the problem. They just need to look at the protocol stack used in the code and fix it. 

The Netflix streaming issue seems a bit different and the packet capture suggest a problem with delivery of the packets via port 443. The domain info is correct so the handling of the layer 4 information is mucked up. With the packet information it really looks like that. I have not seen the full capture information for a failed session initiation as it works here. I have the Nokia and the Arcadyan gateway does not seem to be impacted by this. Maybe it is with the Sagemcon firmware. Still not enough data to know and no way to debug it with these dumbed down gateways other than packet captures and that only points at the fault not the root cause. I often wish T-Mobile would just be a bit more transparent about the problems and be up front about the genuine effort being applied. Just a little respect would be nice. 

I no longer have the issue, Netflix is working for me now. They
have change the IP for occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net from a T-Mobile owned IP to
a Netflix owned IP 198.38.108.x. So the traffic is no longer going to the
T-Mobile data centers and instead is sent direct to the Netflix data centers.

AS2906
IRR Parent Valid
ROA Signed and Valid
198.38.108.0/24
Netflix Streaming Services Inc.

curl -v https://occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net
* Trying 198.38.108.76:443...
* Connected to occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net (198.38.108.242) port 443 (#0)

11:37:26.467868 IP 192.168.x.x.61346 > 198.38.108.242.443: Flags [S], seq 2992268027, win 65535

11:37:26.513020 IP 198.38.108.242.443 > 192.168.x.x.61346: Flags [S.], seq 1595082536, ack 2992268028, win 65535

11:37:26.515457 IP 192.168.x.x.61346 > 198.38.108.242.443: Flags [.], ack 1, win 2054

11:37:26.522641 IP 192.168.x.x.61346 > 198.38.108.242.443: Flags [P.], seq 1:337, ack 1, win 2054

I suspect that was a workaround while they figure out the root cause on the
T-Mobile hosted Netflix streaming.

When I had the issue I changed my DNS resolver to Google, CloudFlare, OpenDNS etc, but as long as occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net resolved to a T-Mobile IP here in the east coast, the issue was there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So another DNS resolution problem. More reason to set DNS to something other than the gateway IP relying upon the default they have established. The delivery of proper DNS resolution from the gateway IP has had some issues so it should not be a surprise actually. It is interesting that it was primarily only for Netflix in this case. I was using quad9 for DNS so that explains why it was working here.

I am still unable to stream from any of my apple devices ( iPad, iPhone, appleTv )… however, I can now stream from safari on my laptop.   I have also tried updating the DNS server settings to google in my router… and also directly on my appleTV.  This also did not work for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Does the laptop connect through the gateway and which gateway do you have? You state from Safari on your laptop works. What is your laptop and can you see a difference in the IP addressing of the laptop that works and the other devices? So, also you state you tried updating the DNS server settings to google on your router. Do you have a router connected to the T-Mobile gateway? 

What network does the laptop connect to? Is it also connecting via wireless or with an Ethernet cable and is that to wireless via the T-Mobile gateway direct on its wireless or via a connected router? 

The suggestion to change the DNS on a client was to see if it would help but was only based upon the possibility that it might if the DNS from the 192.168.12.1 gateway address was not working. I have seen a recent period when DNS here was failing and I changed my MacBook DNS to quad9s and it resolved the issue for me. I still have my MacBook Pro with 9.9.9.9 for DNS and Netflix and Amazon Prime both work for me. I have the Nokia gateway so I also have not seen any postings to know if the issue has some bearing on any specific gateway. From the Reddit conversation is sounded more like the engineers were working on some solution but it was not clear what. I wish T-Mobile would actually post some reference to issues like this which impacted many users. If I see more on this I will let you know.

I know that this thread is a couple of months old now, but I just started having this problem. I can no longer successfully load Netflix on any of my Smart TVs or STBs (various Fire devices). I get error tvq-st-106 when I try. I can load the app on my iPhone and PC, and I can stream content. But, no thumbnails appear.

This just started happening on 2/9/2023. I have spent considerable time with both Netflix and T-Mobile support, but have not made any progress toward resolving the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try? Is anyone else seeing this issue again?

Thanks!

I have the same Netflix issue that also started on 2/9. I have a smart TV with a firestick and another TV with just a firestick. 

This is getting to be so frustrating that I'm considering getting rid of the gateway! Why can't they fix this, since there's enough people having the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I gave the questions some thought and have a couple for you both to consider if you have not done so already.

Do you use the gateway with a third party router on your network or just the T-Mobile gateway? 

Do you have dual stack enabled on the streaming devices you are attempting to use?

The reason I ask is that Netflix is among the largest domains using IPv6 for streaming content delivery and IPv6 does provide some benefits over IPv4 for content delivery. Using dual stack IPv4/IPv6 on the devices would probably be best. With IPv6 on the clients it would also circumvent the 464XLAT overhead due to not requiring the CLAT / PLAT translation between IPv4 & IPv6. I suggest to check the clients and make sure they do run dual stack. If there are any software/firmware updates available for the TV or Firestick also apply updates.

I use Netflix on multiple types of clients here including a Firestick and have not experienced issues but I also do not use an additional router on my network. I have kept it simple and direct. If you do run an additional router with your clients on a network other than the T-Mobile gateway segment it would be worth running the same client(s) on the T-Mobile gateway network to confirm operation as such. 

Just a couple of thoughts as the problem might still be upstream and not a local network issue. If you have not investigated the DNS servers your clients are directed to then I would also suggest to experiment with the target DNS servers for the clients. When I have experienced some internet related communication issues here my alteration of the DNS source away from the gateway did help so I tend to still avoid allowing the 192.168.12.1 gateway to be used for DNS resolution.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I am having the same problem starting on Feb 9th. I cannot stream Netflix on any of my Roku TVs, Samsung Smart TV. Every other streaming service works fine. I have spent several hours with Netflix and T-Mobile, with no resolution. Even one call for over 90 minutes with both Netflix and T-Mobile on the same call. Netflix is taking the position that this is not their problem and would not even let me talk with their technical support team. 

I saw the response from iTinkeralot, but I am not sure what to do based on his response.

It seems my only solution would be to cancel T-Mobile Internet, Netflix, or both. Netflix reps are condescending, claiming it is not their problem and I cannot talk with their technical supporting team.

I use a Google wifi router.

Are you saying that we don't need a router if we use the Gateway?  

Appreciate your time!!

I have an ASUS RT-AC86U router. All my devices connect to this router, either through WIFI or Ethernet. Then I just plug the router into the T-Mobile gateway. I use this configuration because it is easy if I switch provider. Just plug the router into the provider’s gateway.

I switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile internet in early December, and everything was working fine until 2/9. The Netflix stopped working on all my TV. What could have happened?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So, the logic behind connecting the clients with the delivery issue direct to the gateway is very simple. IF the delivery is via IPV6, which it is quite possible that is the case then you would have to make sure that traffic is forwarded across YOUR router or mesh gateway interface via IPv6 or it simply will not pass. If you connect the TV or Firestick or whatever it is to either an interface on the network direct from the T-Mobile gateway you remove the additional variable which is your router. When you use the additional router solution you establish a double NAT scenario and may not be routing IPv6. 

If you have left the wireless on the T-Mobile gateway enabled join the TV or Firestick etc… to the wireless network established by the cellular gateway. It does handle IPv4 and IPv6 traffic. I can clearly see this with my Nokia gateway and the statistics reflect multicast traffic TX/RX. I run clients dual stack with IPv4 and IPv6 with no issue. If you want to know your external IPv4/IPv6 address go to whatismyipaddress.com and check it out. If you have a client on your local network and want to know if it can communicate out across your router issue an IPv6 ping to the external IPv6 address from the client or issue an IPv6 ping to one of the major DNS hosts on the internet. If your client cannot communicate out via IPv6 from your local router network do the same test via connected to the network established via the T-Mobile gateway. 

You have nothing to lose by testing the TV or whatever client on the T-Mobile gateway network. It might just work and reveal there is a communication problem across your router.

iTinkerlot, I appreciate you help. 

So I did two things. I connected one TV directly to the T-Mobile gateway via wifi. I confirmed that is was connected to the T-Mobile gateway. It has an IP address of 192.168.12.x. Unfortunately the issue is still there and I cannot connect to Netflix.

I also  use whatismyipaddress.com to check my ip address, and I get this:

My IP Address is:

IPv4: ? 172.59.xxx.xxx (I replaced the actual ipv4 address with xxx.xxx)

IPv6: ? Not detected

Your private information is exposed!

My IP Information:

ISP: T-Mobile USA Inc.

City: Bellevue

Region: Washington

Does this mean I don’t have an ipv6 address?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If the site does not report both the IPv4 and IPv6 addressing it would suggest there is no IPv6 address but I have seen the site report one or the other or both at times. Usually it does report both IPv4 and IPv6 addressing. Keep in mind the external IPv4 address you see on that site reflects the external address on the other side of the T-Mobile IPv6 network. T-Mobile runs their network on IPv6 and uses what is referred to as carrier grade NAT (CGNAT) or what is also 464XLAT. It is a translation from IPv4 to IPv6 and then IPv6 back to IPv4. The IPv4 addresses can change/rotate. If you use the site and repeat the test for your external address 5-6 times over a minute or two you may see the IPv4 address changes due to the routing of the traffic and how it is handled. Today my external IPv4 address is not changing is it does when traffic levels are higher. I have seen it change between 5-6 addresses over a period of time.  Previously the traffic was being routed out of Atlanta and now I am seeing the routing seems to be out of Nashville instead. It seems to be the ever evolving T-Mobile internet solution.

You need to look at the configuration of the networking for the client. See if it has both IPv4 and IPv6 and have both set to obtain their addressing automatic via DHCP. It could be IPv6 is not enabled or the client does not support IPv6 but most clients support dual stack these days so it might just be disabled.

If you have not pointed your client to another DNS server like Google or Cloudflare you might try that vs allowing the gateway to delivery the DNS. 

NOTE: The message, “Your private information is exposed!” reflects that you are not using a VPN to hide your actual IP addressing information. Lots of companies would like to have you subscribe to their VPN service. :-) For more sensitive information it is a good practice but gets expensive.

Problem is, I dont see a way to change DNS on Samsung Smart TV or on a Roku TV or Roku box.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

On the Samsung Smart TV:

https://www.techsolutions.support.com/how-to/how-to-change-dns-settings-on-a-samsung-smart-tv-10823

Thanks iTinkeralot. What do you suggest setting the DNS to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

CloudFlare:

1.1 DNS addresses:

• For IPv4: 1.1. 1.1 and 1.0. 0.1.
  • For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

“Cloudflare offers a public DNS resolver that anyone can use by setting their device's DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. These are the IPv4 addresses. The IPv6 addresses for this service are 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001.”

Thanks for all of your help and input on this iTinkeralot! I have my T-Mobile Gateway connected to an Asus ZenWifi mesh system (3 nodes). All of my devices are connected to the Asus mesh wifi network.

That said, I had already tried connecting my devices directly to the gateway and that did not help.  The behavior is the same whether I’m connected directly to the T-Mobile gateway or I am connected to one of my mesh nodes. 

I also tried multiple different DNS providers, including Cloudflare, Google, Quad9 and some others (both connecting directly to the T-Mobile Gateway and via the mesh network). Again, there was no change in behavior regardless of what DNS provider I was using. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hum… it sounds like the issue is upstream possibly but not a DNS resolution issue. Given both of you refer to 2/9/2023 as the same date that the behavior started that does seem as if there was some upstream network change responsible for the behavior OR was there possibly a gateway firmware update maybe? I would think T-Mobile might possibly be able to provide some information on that. Well, one would hope so but it is hard to say. 

Given both of you saw the behavior surface on the same date it might be good to see if T-Mobile would provide a different model of the gateway or another to test with. Just thinking. Was firmware revision ever investigated by the T-Mobile support engineers?

I disconnected my Google wifi router from the Gateway and my Netflix issues have been resolved. Everything is working perfectly on my smart TV and 2 firesticks. 

I stopped at a store today and confirmed that the wifi router that was previously used with my modem with Spectrum isn't necessary with the Gateway.

I needed a little assistance from customer support to get the internet connection set up again, but it's all good now!

Bluesky, which Gateway do you have?

I have a KVD21 gateway and I cannot find any way to resolve this issue. I have spent so many hours trying every combination at home with no luck. I just connected the gateway, with nothing else connected to it, but the TV through wifi, but that still does not work. I have been on the phone for many hours with T-Mobile and Netflix, but they are pointing fingers at each other.

I have 2 options at this point. Go back to Spectrum and the increase of $50 per month or say goodbye to Netflix (for which T-Mobile is paying most of the cost). So frustrating.

I have the same gateway as you do. I worked with Tech Support Andy from California. He was super helpful.

The store clerk had told me if things didn't work right when I disconnected my Wi-Fi router that I should just exchange gateways and start over with a new one.

I know how frustrating it is. If I were you I'd start over with a new one. Good luck!!