Question

Suddenly slow home internet.

• 5 November 2021
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've had the home internet for a few weeks now and it's been great. Getting speeds of 100 megabytes or more with a fair signal. But tonight the signal is poor and I barely get 10 megabytes a second. What gives?

63 replies

Every Morning I get 60 to 90 Mbps, most of the day we wouldn’t notice any issue with the internet. However, every evening and night we struggle to stream one show at a time on one device. Restarting the gateway, moving the box around doesn’t matter. The speed goes down to 1 to 3 mbps so you can surf the web slowly and that’s it. That’s unacceptable. It’s too low to do anything. It’s so bad i’m considering going back to Brightspeed’s 10 Mbps plan. That’s how bad this is. 

I had two unbelievable experiences recently. Traveled to Dublin, Ireland for a week, and got free internet everywhere in excess of 50-100 Mbps. Then,,,, traveled to India for 2 weeks. Their mobile companies offer 2 GB of data every day for >100 Mbps for an entire month for an astonishing $5/month. I didn’t need a home internet connection as I could go anywhere and watch Netflix and Amazon prime at ultrafast speeds almost free. 

And then I returned home… I’m getting 0.2 Mbps with Tmobile for $50 a month. And, this is after I got fed up with Suddenlink (now Optimum), who were charging me upwards of 120$ per month to remove data-caps for a paltry 40 Mbps. If we got some of those Indian companies here, almost everybody would be getting almost free internet at faster speeds.

Well I sign up the for the home business internet with t-mobile over a year  ago. I had a Nokia router and it work fine. I had download way over a 100 and upload was 50 or better. Never had an issues. Then here came June 19 2023. My internet suddenly start acting stupid. I was barely getting over 50 down and up 10.  This is way unacceptable not worth 50 dollars a month. I been through 3 routers new one coming soon to see if it fixes the issue. File and fcc complaint and fuss I have a 60 dollar credit on my bill. If I wanted to pay for horrible service like this for 50 dollars. I call frontier and have worse speed like this  my advice to everyone in here that is having the same issue as me. I advise everyone to file an fcc complaint. Then maybe they will fix stuff 

Thought I would chime in as well.

Signed up a year and a half ago. Excellent speeds for my rural location (no cable/DSL). Was getting mostly around 35-40 Mbps download and at times it would hit 100 Mbps. Stayed on 5g. After the latest tower maintenance in early April, my Nokia router would no longer connect to 5g. Called support. Ended up exchanging for an Arcadia router. It first connected to 5g then stayed on 4g. After two separate support sessions with tickets sent to technical support, no change. I am now stuck on 4g 99% of the time with speeds between 6 Mbps and 18 Mbps. My Arcadia sits in a fan base to keep it cool and external antenna leads are hooked up. Thankfully, I did not cancel my DIRECTV to cut costs as originally planned. The speeds I get are barely adequate for streaming with one TV let alone another. A friend of mine got T-mobile home internet based on my recommendation in January. He is on the same tower. His router no longer connects to 5g either. I guess T-Mobile just got too carried away and oversold this service. Another reason may be that over the past year, more people have upgraded their cell phones to ones that now have 5g. Since phone service takes priority, this may be a contributing factor to why home internet service is so slow. Still not happy with T-mobile as I am paying for 5g service that I am no longer getting. 

Badge

The real question is why the router cannot be smart enough to constantly look for the strongest signal.  In the T-Mobile Internet app, tap “MORE” then tap “Advanced cellular metrics”.  You’ll see the following screens.  On the “5G” screen you’ll see either N71 or or N41.  If the router is connected on N41 you’ll be getting fast speeds and lesser speeds on N71.   I don’t know now to tell if it’s switching between 4G LTE and 5G.  Which still begs the question why can’t the router be smart enough to constantly search for the best connection possible.  If course internet traffic makes some difference as well as signal strength.   Maybe a heavy rainstorm soaks all the trees between you and the cell tour. 

When I first reboot, I often see N41 and when I do I get 200-400 mbps.   It usually quickly switches to N71 and speed drops to 40-70 mbps.  It’s somewhat maddening, but I live by myself and 40-70 works for me for anything I want to do.

The real question is why the router cannot be smart enough to constantly look for the strongest signal.  In the T-Mobile Internet app, tap “MORE” then tap “Advanced cellular metrics”.  You’ll see the following screens.  On the “5G” screen you’ll see either N71 or or N41.  If the router is connected on N41 you’ll be getting fast speeds and lesser speeds on N71.   I don’t know now to tell if it’s switching between 4G LTE and 5G.  Which still begs the question why can’t the router be smart enough to constantly search for the best connection possible.  If course internet traffic makes some difference as well as signal strength.   Maybe a heavy rainstorm soaks all the trees between you and the cell tour. 

When I first reboot, I often see N41 and when I do I get 200-400 mbps.   It usually quickly switches to N71 and speed drops to 40-70 mbps.  It’s somewhat maddening, but I live by myself and 40-70 works for me for anything I want to do.

Add me to the list.  Got Tmobile back in September of last year.  After set up, was shocked to see 300-500 mbps down and 50-60 up.  I live in an area that is rural and basically no options other than hotspots.  The system and service have been perfect until about a month ago when I noticed my speeds were much lower - in the 20-35mpbs down range.  Rebooted the system and that did seem to increase speeds, but nowhere near the numbers I was getting early on.  Went into the advanced cellular metrics and noticed that I was constantly being dropped to the n71 band.  I can literately see the 5g tower from my upstairs window where I have the device.  When I reboot, it goes back to the n41, but usually within an hour or so, drops back to n71.  This is definitely caused on Tmobile’s end as the signal strength and metrics when on the n41 band are excellent.  Really disappointed as this is the first really decent internet service we have been able to have at our residence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’d recommend checking stats and signal.  I do get a ‘daily’ 5G n41+ B2 → 5G n71 + B66 (~+400/20Mbps to ~170/50Mbps).  CQI is similar on both.  

Try to rotate your device and see if it helps any (tower ~45-60degrees clockwise from LCD display on Arcadyan device for me).

I’m more under the suspicion that since this is ‘home internet’, it is of lower priority than mobile, and will typically take a slower connection.

I've had the home internet for a few weeks now and it's been great. Getting speeds of 100 megabytes or more with a fair signal. But tonight the signal is poor and I barely get 10 megabytes a second. What gives?

Read 

Read all of these comments here. Some good info. There is a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo that affects the signal strength and thus download and upload throughput and speed.

Here is my 2 cents. In the app there a place on the bottom on the menu “More” . Under More is Advanced Celular metrics … basically the Gateway telling the app all the techninals of the tower and gateway communication.  Focus on RSSI and RSRQ … for me RSRQ was a problem. These numbers are logrythmic which means they are not linear … which means that -103 is a TON different than say -99 like factors of 10. I moved the gateway 6 whole inches and the bars went from 3 to 4 on the front of the router. Is you caan get 4 bars you are off to the races. Less than 4 means spoty and slow. 

Bottom Line. My speedtests went from 30-40 Download to over 400 download and Im talking moving the device 8 whole inches. 

So look at the app and move the device around and wait. It takes a minute to settle in. You may have to find another location in the house. If you can get 4 bars or even 5 you will be golden. 3 bars or less you will be fair to poor in signal and speed. 

Hope this helps.

@mastrodamus, I had 4 and 5 bars and was still getting under 1Mbps.  The strangest thing is that after 8PM, I was getting amazing speeds, over 200Mbs, but during the day it would basically drop.  I have a Google Nest Mesh system and that didn’t help anything.  The thing that did it for me, I’m a HUGE college football fan.  Last Saturday, I couldn’t even download web pages, or even stream SiriusXM, let alone watch on Sling tv.  Luckily, I’m within the 14 day trial period and I’m sending it back.  Luckily, I didn’t cancel Xfinity, I’ve never had an issue with them.  Granted, T-Mobile is half the price, having to restart, reboot and factory reset and not having anything speed it up, that’s when I gave up.  This is not worth the hassle.

The following suggestion from the thread worked for me. I have had T-Mo Home internet for about a year. Last few days my typical 100 to 225 Mbps slowed to 5 Mbps.  I tried rebooting and power cycling. When I would power cycle I only waited 5 to 10 seconds. It DOES seem to matter that you need to wait several minutes. I am back to 115 Mbps.

If you don’t like my suggestion, don’t bother tying to shame me. 

Best of luck.

Badge

Curious how many have left TMO -- I just did. One year of good service. Last three (3) months AWFUL - no internet between 5 and 10 pm.

Add me to the list of dissatisfied home internet custumers. I'm surprised to find the exact same agent response as many here. My tower is getting worked on by engineering and should be fixed in a week. I told her funny how my phone gets 100mbps using the same tower. All of the sudden she says she has refreshed my connection and it goes from 10mbps to 50 mbps. She says that in about a week ot should go back to normal after repairs to the tower. I will be monitoring my speeds and if they keep getting this slow its going to be goodbye from me.

Yes, add me to the list also.  At 4pm on a Friday, I went from about 350mb to 2mb.  I called support and she said there is a tower issue.  Why is there a tower issue?  Towers should have redundant fiber and battery backups.  I have had home internet for about 4 months and this has happened 3 times now.  I suspect techs are working on the tower and would prefer to do that work during the day.  If T-Mobile is going to sell home internet, then they should not be messing with towers during the work day.