Question

tmobile home internet speed issues

• 17 March 2021
  • 55 replies

Show first post

55 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

5 bar connection, and I’m lucky if the speed test will even go through.  For one day i got 100+ mbs down.  Now I can’t use it at all for work, it’s between 0.5mbs to 6mbs, and webpages wont even load.  My 5g phone on the other hand gets 75+ all day every day.  Thanks for the “fast and reliable” 5g internet… At least I got a 14 day trial to realize their advertisements are a scam.  Of course the box is free, they want me to pay $50 a month for no internet.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It literally took my 5G internet a full minute to post that message.

I am out in Phoenix, Az. I’ve had these speeds since I started my service.

I’m in Laveen, AZ.  My ISP is a random ISP, Phoenix Internet, and we get about 5 mbps down and not even 1 up.  I saw this gateway ad on Tmobile and reached out to a Tmobile sales rep and was told I’d get no less than 180 down and 34 up.  I plugged in the gateway and got 160 up the first day, since then I'm only getting no more than 2 mbps up.  I’m really losing faith in this gateway and was told by a TMO rep that I have a 14 day buyers remorse.  Probably not going to keep this.

I live within 3 miles of 3 different towers and still can’t get above 10mb consistently, my current signal stats are primary rssi: -62 rsrq: -10 rsrp: -92 and sinr 19.1 on b66 and the secondary signal is rsrq -11 rsrp: -94 sinr 24.1 on n41 speed test results 88 ping 12 jitter 9.73mb down and 28.4 up 2nd speed test 38 ping 11 jitter 2.6 down 27.7 up. why are the download speeds so bad. I have the grey trashcan gateway

Seriously guys, I don’t know what many of you are complaining about.  We live in a semi-rural area and the best we get first thing in the morning is about 15-20 mbps down and usually less than 1 mbps up.   When we first got this about 4 months ago, we could stream live sports with no buffering, no issues whatsoever.  It freaking rocked!!!!  However, that was short-lived as now it just crawls.  I have rebooted, unplugged, cleared messages, done the technical support stuff, and its still slow.  We have ZERO secondary signal.  When I first got this, I was so hopeful because of my dislike of ATT but it is worse.  The only benefit of the T-Mobile is there is no data cap like with the AT&T version (150gb).  However, the T-Mobile speed makes it unusable except for general browsing only and that’s about it.  For comparison purposes, we have ATT version as well, and we get 35-40 mbps down and 20-25mbps up.  I know its not great but thats the non-satellite options we have in our area. 

Just want to add to the list that I’m experiencing similar problems. Averaging less than 3 Mbs down loads in speed tests. Ticket open with engineering and results promised by 5-Feb-2022. I’ll report back if they are able to pinpoint anything, but don’t hold your breath. This has been progressively deteriorating over the past 18 months or more.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would probably give the service a month and remember this it is a new Internet service and It is a mobile home Internet Service so I wouldn’t judge this as a poor service because I hardly think that it is. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve had the service for just shy of 3 months. It has dropped connection 31 times in that timeframe. I only know this because my doorbell camera gives me a disconnection notice. Have called multiple times. Never get a solution, just excuses. I can’t stand spectrum but this is just getting outrageous. Honestly I might explore other options soon for internet AND cell service because of how unreliable this is. I am in Youngstown Ohio...and if you know anything about Youngstown, it’s important to have cameras running around here. Can’t do that when my connection is dropping multiple times a week. FIX what I’m paying money for, otherwise I’m gone. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I would probably give the service a month and remember this it is a new Internet service and It is a mobile home Internet Service so I wouldn’t judge this as a poor service because I hardly think that it is. 

I have to totally disagree. Nothing here is "new" at all. 5G has been out for a few years now and using wireless cell service for home internet has been around long before that. And TM has been doing this for quite some time now. The only thing going on here is that TM over promised without having the network, knowledge or the capabilities to actually back up those promises.

Has the service marginally gotten better over the past couple months? Depending on where you live that might actually be a yes. For many that could also be a resounding no. But regardless of if things have improved we shouldn't have to wait months for things that were promised on day one.

Not sure why some of you are getting those speeds, I think the lowest I go most of the time is around 150ish but I avg 450+. Try this though. Connect to the router using the web-based GUI at http://192.168.12.1/.  Check to see what you are getting for the secondary signal cause that is the 5G one. If you aren’t receiving any signal there or it's super low then most likely you are only hitting 4G towers which are nowhere near as fast. 

Thanks, I checked and i Don't have a secondary signal. I live in a Rural area so I understand if i get atleast 35-50mbps, but im barely getting 7-11mbps. Do you know how to get a secondary connection signal or is that just something thats supposed to happen on its own?

I’m in Phoenix, right next to a 5G tower, but on opposite side, in a concrete and steel hotel.

I’m getting 50Mbps pretty consistently, which is better than hotel WiFi.

Trying to bump up speeds.

- Does screenshot below with only Primary Signal mean I’m not getting full 5G?

- Where do I look to find the bands, mentioned below, being used (B12 vs N41, etc)?

I looked around the Web GUI,and iOS app, but didn't see it.  

- Is there another network utility app I need to use?

Also - Is there a way to bring down Pings?  - I’m getting 300 mS times.

I tried setting DNS on my devices to 1.1.1.1, Cloudfare, but it seems like that needs to be done on gateway.

- Any way to set custom besides external router?

- Any other low hanging fruit?

When my speed drops to under 100mbps, it’s always accompanied by a loss of secondary signal, the 5G channel. For some reason the device often prefers a slow LTE connection and will not switch back to 5G. 

I just got it to change back by rebooting it, but this does not always work. I’m now running 160down /60 up, which I’m ok with, but I prefer 450/120, which I have seen many times.

Maybe I am getting 5G?

I echo the sentiments of many on this thread who advocate class action.  My experience was that, behiing in 10/2021, I was consistently getting 300mbs down and 40mbs up UNTIL three weeks ago when it suddenly dropped to <40 down and <1 up.  Even worse, the ping is mostly >100ms and often exceeds 400ms, rendering many websites and all streaming services stuttery at best and often unuseable, even when the speedtest says 30mbs.  My signal shows 4 bars on both primary and secondary.  Power cycling everything has no discernable effect.  I called several times to say WTH, and am being told of 'service maintenance' events every time I call.  I now think they are lying.  To summarize, like many on this thread, i initially received good service (first couple of months) which then changed to crappy ALMOST unuseable service.  In the meantime, I'm crafting a complaint to the FCC and going back to Comcast (which I hate/despise/loath).  GLTA

Not sure why some of you are getting those speeds, I think the lowest I go most of the time is around 150ish but I avg 450+. Try this though. Connect to the router using the web-based GUI at http://192.168.12.1/.  Check to see what you are getting for the secondary signal cause that is the 5G one. If you aren’t receiving any signal there or it's super low then most likely you are only hitting 4G towers which are nowhere near as fast. 

Thanks, I checked and i Don't have a secondary signal. I live in a Rural area so I understand if i get atleast 35-50mbps, but im barely getting 7-11mbps. Do you know how to get a secondary connection signal or is that just something thats supposed to happen on its own?

This is good info.. I checked mine, and not connected to secondary signal.. i have slow to no internet.. I was wondering why I have good signal ftom the first two weeks of service, then its been 3-days with this.. very frustrating scenario… not sure if i will continue this BS.. my wife and kids are getting mad at me now…

i am getting 1-3mbps pretty much all the time but 10-15mbps upload? its basically unusable at this point as some pages wont even load.

Same in the Country in Washington State...basically unusable most of the time.

I just read on Reddit that the unit will often switch to the strongest channel, irrespective of whether it is LTE or 5G. This may be what mine is doing. The LTE channel on the tower is much stronger than the 5G channel (RSP of -68dBm vs -89dBm). The problem is, I get only ~ 10up/3 down mbps on LTE. This may OK for random browsing and email but not so good for group Zoom calls.

I think they need to change the way the unit chooses which channel to use.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

yes same here , was exited to have it but inconsistent speed, so you go back to the evil company Comcast , mind asking what you pay per month , because they are legit thieves 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Where are you located at?  I have had this issue since 3/12/21 Friday.  I am in OHIO sylvania

Agreed! I signed up for service a couple weeks ago. The first two Grey Nokia cylinder routers were defective. I just got my 3rd one setup at least there's a connection now.

Before I set up the tmobile router  on the tmobile home internet app I connected to the wifi with my phone and I got 25mbps download speed which I would be fine with

After I setup the router thru the app, all of a sudden I get maybe 1 to 4 mbps download if I'm lucky.

This is with me already going to every area of the residence finding the 'best' signal 2 bars on router. These checks were all done this afternoon after 1pm to 3pm est.  

I read someone say they think it may be in beta. I think they should mention that otherwise if people think this is the final product they are putting out, alot of customers will disconnect service. I tried Starlink before too but at least they tell you in its Beta.

I tried powering off the router and reseating the sim card a couple times now I get "no usim" . I got that with the last router, good thing I told them better include another sim card in case the original goes bad.  I'll give them a month before giving up and settling for slow Verizon dsl service here but at least the connection is solid 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 1
Badge

Both my primary & secondary signals are 4 bars. My speeds are still anywhere from <1 to <10 Mb/s excepr for brief moments of 15-25 Mb/s. Terrible service full of broken promises and lies. Back on 6/17 is when my problems began and I was ‘assured that engineering was addressing the problem’ & that the “modernization would soon be done”. More than two months later, that has been complete bulsh!t.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For the past few days I have been seeing poor performance. I noticed the Primary Signal was bouncing between B2, B66 and B41.  Rarely the secondary connects to B71. Somewhere here in the Community or on Facebook I saw a post where someone moved the gateway to the basement where the cellular signals were not as strong. In his case he seemed to lock on the 5G signal and stay there. I did this yesterday afternoon and for the first time in 5 days it appears to have stayed locked on 5G (B41).

The point is that it may be necessary to move the unit around to find NOT THE STRONGEST signal, but the best signal. In my case the 4G Band 2 often was very slow. With the unit in the basement, it has stayed on B41 for more than a few hours. Time will tell.

I just read on Reddit that the unit will often switch to the strongest channel, irrespective of whether it is LTE or 5G. This may be what mine is doing. The LTE channel on the tower is much stronger than the 5G channel (RSP of -68dBm vs -89dBm). The problem is, I get only ~ 10up/3 down mbps on LTE. This may OK for random browsing and email but not so good for group Zoom calls.

I think they need to change the way the unit chooses which channel to use.

I'm speaking on the rural area that I live in. I spoke with a technician from Tmobile and their excuse is, a lot of people signed up for Tmobile internet in the rural areas which is causing congestion with the tower's signal. I also tried rebooting my cylinder tmobile router to get the secondary signal but it didn't work so I pulled the sim card out of its slot and put it back in then rebooted the router and it worked. Both Primary and Secondary signal came on. That actually gave me 5-7mbps more than my original speed which brings me up to around 17mbps. 

When I first got this back in May of 2021 My speeds were at 200Mbps and I told all my friends and bragged about how fast this went.  Then near the end of the year they did some “Changes” and now my fastest speed is about 20Mbps and that is on a good day.  Man this thing is sooooooo slow.

They had me reset my gateway and then send me a new one and still the slowest. I think they must have either saturated my area or redirected the antennna on the tower as it doesn’t get hardly any speed even with 3 bars.

I had the same issue. I ordered the service after being guaranteed I was surrounded by towers that were going to give me amazing service. When I called the first time in June I was told 2 bars on the gateway was so great and was talked into waiting for the massive improvement coming in July. If 2 bars is great, why are there 6 bars on the gateway? Well July came and I called again, I was told my gateway was bad, they were sending me the “brand new” gateway that would fix everything. When it came, it was used and all the wires/booklets were missing. After sitting on the phone for 4 hours, I finally cancelled the service. That was over a week ago and I’m currently on hold AGAIN to find out where the return labels are because I refuse to pay for these “high speed” gateways. I paid for 3 months of non existent internet. I understand people in cities are having excellent connections, but us folks out in the rural areas are clearly looking for a solution to not having options and T-Mobile fell flat.