Question

Can't receive text messages from most sources, including T-Mobile verification

• 3 October 2021
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Wondering if anyone else is newly having this issue. I found this thread that started two years ago but still had replies within the last four months and there doesn’t appear to be a solution. 

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with tech support earlier and though we tried a ton of resets on my phone, as well as her manually changing what tower my phone is connecting to, I still cannot receive text messages from most accounts, including T-Mobile verification codes. Tech support had to text the other phone on our account so I could verify it was me. 

Many things require two-factor authentication these days, so I can’t just go forward not receiving texts. Tech support said they would monitor my account for 48 hours, but wouldn’t be able to tell if I was being sent messages that ultimately weren’t getting delivered, so I’m not sure what the monitoring is going to do. I’m searching for any type of solution at this point. I feel like someone ought to be able to hit the master reset on my phone number and start from scratch. I can’t imagine how a phone number could essentially be corrupted into not being able to receive texts anymore.

I’m having issues with SMS, MMS, and Short Code. Only two people I know have gotten their texts through to me out of ten. Please help!

36 replies

I had same issue, just with T-Mobile when upgrading phone.  Did chat with service rep and they had no answer. I cleared cache, checked for blocked number, turned airplane icon on then off.  Nothing worked.  I just happened to have my "Phone Link" app up on laptop, and boom there were all the codes I had requested under messages.  No idea why my messaging app on phone didn't get them.  So I was finally able to upgrade without going to store it calling.  

Badge

Hi there, I’m writing just to say my situation was very similar to “blaine_the_train”. I wrote about my experience here, but your recounting is more detailed. Some spots I missed in my recounting, but also happened during my process:

I asked why everyone keeps asking that and how a tower being updated/out of service has anything to do with a mobile phone line. He explained that depending on when the actual tower was taken offline and the status of what my phone was connected to, the networking components can get stuck thinking it only wants to connect to that particular tower. Resetting the location on the network *should* clear it out which he did.

So this was also my experience. An engineer told me the tower closest to my home was under repair of some kind. In the course of my interaction with T-Mobile, my physical SIM was swapped at least twice for a new one, and we also tried activating an eSIM. During the first two swaps, it was at a location away from my home and when more than a couple network resets had been performed.

When I spoke to an engineer some time later—and he was also very nice—I asked specifically if it was possible in a VPN sort of way that my phone may still be connecting to the single tower that had broken down, even when I was traveling around the city or outside of it. In that moment, I had offered to walk somewhere else than my home location to see if my phone would connect to another tower, and if texting would be restored. He said no, it probably wouldn’t make a difference and that I had essentially tried that already by texting elsewhere in the city.

To try to fix, we finally traded in the iPhone for a new one - but even without restoring from back-up the same problem continued. We had stumped both the troubleshooting team members. We then tried switching our plan to Magenta to basically reset the entire phone number - no luck.

I basically declined steps like this because they seemed fraudulent, scammy, and a waste of time. I convinced myself that switching to Magenta was T Mobile’s way of trying to get me off their “One” plan, which was more unlimited in its contract language than Magenta. I declined all attempts to replace my phone or factory wipe it because nothing happened to its software at any point leading up to the malfunction that would have led to a user-side glitch. Once we put a new SIM into a different device and had the same issues with texting, it seemed abundantly clear this was not a problem with my phone.

I’ll add at this point that since writing this, I’ve already jumped to Verizon. And the texting issue immediately resolved. No software changes or factory resets were made to my phone. My phone is an S22 Ultra.

Overall, while being a frustrating situation - this particular employee (and the store staff) were superb customer service and made a frustrating situation more tolerable and I was satisfied the issue was fixed and how to make noise in the future if it happened again. 

I did not wait for my issue to “magically fix itself.” I also thought the engineers—I spoke to two, and the second one was especially nice—went out of their way for a good customer service experience, and didn’t speak to me basically in a dumbed-down sort of way. However, I did not have “superb customer service” from anyone, including the nice engineers. Because kindness is basically all they offered. Several times my calls routed to India. No one had any solutions that worked. The first engineer resolved the ticket even though he acknowledged the problem was ongoing when he hung up. The second engineer just apologized a clean dozen times and did everything possible. And I’m grateful for that, but honestly, how defunct is a service where you basically wipe out everything from the phone number, do all the network resets, put the SIM in a new device, and there is STILL a problem, and the engineer’s reaction is, “I just don’t know what’s happening”?

Not to belabor this, but I actually asked for free months of service if they insisted I switch to Magenta. He said no but that they really wanted to give such things to longtime customers like me. (I was with T-Mobile 8 years.) He said those meetings are on the table but have yet to be implemented. I told him good luck with that. And honestly, this would have changed a lot for me. I’ve never experienced nearly an issue as I did this past week with T Mobile. But in years past, I feel like customer service had a lot more leeway to offer comps or help make right the situation in another way.

Additionally, I don’t think they have enough qualified experts to manage this issue, which is why this complaint zipped to so many lower-level agents who had little ability to address it. So while I’m happy the engineers at least brought more expert eyes to the situation, it sure seems like they should have been on it before 5+ days transpired.

I was running the same issue and testing my phone I found this to solve it. You have to verify Settings - Network & Internet, then be sure your Private DNS is Off. Using private DNS provider hostname can block SMS in both directions, that is an option some people use to stop spam and incoming call machine. I hope it could be work for the community.

This worked for us. My son wasn’t receiving any texts from iPhones on his Android phone. Could send to them but not receive. Turning off Private DNS was the solution.

SOLVED: Verification codes come through as what’s called “short code”. This is an add on feature that must be manually added/turned on by each customer by calling customer service to turn this feature on for their line. Most cell phone providers already have this feature turned on but in an effort to reduce spam being sent to your phone number, T-Mobile has it turned off automatically. So the customer must call in and specifically ask for “short code” to be turned on. 

If this is the problem, then why is it that most people posting here (including me) have the problem “solved” (temporarily, of course) simply by rebooting the phone?

Badge

Single Phone Number of Multiple Phone Line account not receiving Text Messages

iPhone 11 not receiving short text messages from T-Mobile to a single phone number "XYZ"
Several lines on the T-Mobile account - iPhone 11, iPhone 10 and iPhone 7. All other phone numbers have no issues to date.

The phone number is not on the government no-caller list.

Desire is Not to Port this Phone number to a different carrier.

Issue is not device related. Issue is not SIM card related.

To verify not a phone or SIM card issue with a really solid T-Mobile representative; performed the following:
 Performed factory resets on all phones.
Swapped SIM cards between phones. When other SIM cards (associated with other numbers) were in each phone; short messages appeared with no problem. This was tested with both Wi-Fi on and Wi-Fi off. 
Software is up to date on all phones. 

The issue appears to be associated with a single phone number "XYZ"

Bought a new SIM card. Activated that SIM card with the single phone number "XYZ".
Tested the new SIM card in all three iPhones. The card recognizes network. The card allows phone calls. 

Short messages are STILL not being received. 

T-Mobile states that they have "pending" status on all short messages  including those from T-Mobile on their backend server for the specific phone number. The T-Mobile error message states 'Device' issues.  T-Mobile is stating that the device is for some reason not receiving the messages.  

T-Mobile representative acknowledged by all the actions taken with swapping SIMs, re-setting phones, activating a new SIM that this is NOT a device issue.  This in spite of the error message on their backend server. 

Again, this is associated with a single phone number.

T-Mobile representative suggested half-heartedly that I "port" my number to another carrier.  Said their hands were tied and that yes, the engineering ticket has been updated and they must wait for engineers to respond. Each call extends response time for fixing to another 3 day

Honestly at a total loss here. 
I've tried all the suggestions in T-Mobile feeds and Apple feeds, and performed numerous test cases both with T-Mobile representative and without. All documented with the representative for the engineers. 

Again, this is associated with a single phone number.

Anything else to try?

Badge

you can try these alternates and fixes till issue gets fixed from T-Mobile side.

I am having the same issue in March 2023 (near Atlanta, GA).  Everything was working fine until yesterday morning and from about midday yesterday, I can send texts, but I cannot receive texts.  I have been on the phone with T-Mobile doing all sorts of resets and software updates...all to no avail.  They have given me a ticket for the problem.  I will update once this is solved--assuming that it is solved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am having the same issue in March 2023 (near Atlanta, GA).  Everything was working fine until yesterday morning and from about midday yesterday, I can send texts, but I cannot receive texts.  I have been on the phone with T-Mobile doing all sorts of resets and software updates...all to no avail.  They have given me a ticket for the problem.  I will update once this is solved--assuming that it is solved.

are there any other peeps around you that also have TMO? if they have no issues but you do then its either account issues or phone issues..if theyre seeing the same thing then its pointing right at a network issue.

Two lines in my account could not receive SMS from websites, the other 2 could. After an hour on the phone with tech support, and continual denials that those 2 lines had shortcode blocks, they finally discovered they did have shortcode blocks. He said they had to go in via some backdoor to discover the secret/hidden shortcode blocks and remove them, that’s why they were denying they existed at first. Anyway now SMS works on all 4 lines.

I can't receive any text messages.  This is wield. It's actually bad. 

what is short codes? 

also RCS chats sent over WiFi & WiFi calling numbers do  ot show up on bill ...whg?