Official T-Mobile Connect Prepaid Discussion

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

To take advantage of this offer, please check out our Sign up for T-Mobile Connect Prepaid service page. Still have a question? Need clarification or want to give feedback? Drop us a message and we'll help you. For specific account help, please Contact Care.

41 replies

I have a question. I'm a Magenta customer (postpaid, with three lines), interested in the T-Mobile Connect plan. Since this plan does not allow the international roaming data pass add-on, and I travel outside the USA at least once a year, is it possible to change to a different plan that allows an international roaming data pass before I travel, and then switch back to the T-Mobile Connect plan once I return? Thanks.

As the novel coronavirus pandemic forces businesses to shutter, T-Mobile claims Connect is ideal for Americans who are struggling financially. “Right now, having a reliable, low-cost connection is absolutely crucial for Americans, and with many facing financial strain

Do the new Connect plans allow Wi-Fi Calling? VoLTE? I assume "tethering" is the same as "mobile hotspot" as it is called in other plans?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Great questions @mjc775 .

Yes, Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE will work just like other plans. Tethering is using your phones data by connecting a USB cable. Mobile Hotspot has the same effect of using another devices data, just wirelessly.

Thanks for the reply. One more question - will this plan work with the 5G network (assuming I had a 5G capable phone), or is it 4G only?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yes, @mjc775  that's correct. You'll need a 5G capable and be in a 5G area to take advantage of the speeds.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@skghosh3  that's a good question. Generally, we don't recommend folks change between plans. We want to right fit you for a plan that'll work for you so you don't have to switch. Plus, if for some reason the plan is no longer available, we can't guarantee you'll be able to switch back and forth like you're describing.

Will it be possible to use this plan on eSIM?

I Would like to get the Connect Plan with an eSim also?  Please explain how to so this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Once again, T-Mobile’s marketing rolls out a new plan without training for Support.

Example: I called yesterday to switch two lines on my postpaid family plan to the new prepaid Connect plan. Obviously, both lines already have T-Mobile service and T-Mobile SIMs. “No problem,” I was told. I spent the evening talking to the respective family members. This morning, when I called to make the change I was told, “No, the lines need a special Prepaid SIM and we cannot convert the lines without different SIMs.” Right, when almost every T-Mobile store in the USA is closed, I have to find an open one and get two new SIMs.

DISAPPOINTING!! 😠

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The new Connect prepaid plan is NOT supported by T-Mobile's eSIM app. 😢

Again, disappointing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

On the one hand, it's great that T-Mobile introduced the Connect prepaid plan when so many people are struggling financially due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On the other hand, the actual implementation is disappointing in multiple ways:

1. eSIM activation, which supports social distancing and shelter-on-place is UNAVAILABLE through an app
  2. T-Mobile customer support cannot perform an eSIM activation for Connect
  3. The only option for eSIM is to activate a more expensive prepaid plan, then switch to Connect -- without a prorated credit

All the above at a time when AT&T's Cricket came out with a similar $15/month plan and Verizon's Visible has a $25/month unlimited plan. It's great that T-Mobile innovated with the Connect plan, but too bad the implementation made getting it so difficult.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@magenta10612646  and @magenta10612646 . I checked and I don't see eSIM is an option for folks opting for this plan.

@magenta2738723 I agree this plan has the benefits for folks you really need a plan like this. You have brought up some interesting thoughts about how we can improve. I've reported this internal. I can't guarantee the process will change for getting this plan setup, but I've mentioned to our internal folks as feedback for us.

You would lose your tenure. It's a new account. Me: Wait, so by changing from a post paid to a pre-paid subscriber.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey @thomas1 . That's correct. Changing from any postpaid to prepaid plan will cause the tenure to be lost on the postpaid account. We only suggest changing to this Connect Prepaid plan if you're comfortable with all the terms that go along with the change.

I'm confused by this in the fine print. "If balance is insufficient to renew all lines on your account for 120 days, all lines will be suspended for 30 days." Do I need $15 balance to renew, or $60? Does it renew for 30 days at a time, or 120 days? Not sure I've ever seen a mutli-month renewal before.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That part means you'll need to keep the necessary balance in order to avoid the suspension. Basically, we encourage you to keep enough of a balance since the prepaid service last for 30 days.

tmo_mike_c wrote:

we encourage you to keep enough of a balance since the prepaid service last for 30 days.

Thanks for the reply.

Why the reference to 120 days then, as in "renew all lines on your account for 120 days"? Shouldn't it say "30 days", not "120 days"?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Your account will flip to a Not paid status if they aren't renewed after the 30 days. You'll have to pay for the features and plans in order to get out of that status and use the service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

T-Mobile is here to give folks help with staying connected. This plan is a benefit for those who need a very specific type of low cost plan. You can read more about the benefits on our NEW T-MOBILE CONNECT PLAN blog. If it's something you'd like to opt into, you can Sign up for T-Mobile Connect Prepaid service | T-Mobile Support .

Is the $15 monthly fee is forever, or just for several months? and how much should I pay include the taxes and other charge each month?

Hi  I have a T-Mobile pre paid account. My account is active and paid for in full. For the last 3 days my phone has not been able to get service. The phone says either not registered or cannot connect to network. I have tried contacting help online but they say I must call in for help. Unfortunately I do not have a phone that works. Can you help me? I have a Galaxy S8.  I have tried a turning the phone on and off, resetting network settings and removing the SIM card. None which have helped. I would like to avoid going into a store if possible. Given our health emergency.

I know this post is old, but, you should be able to use your own hotspot as a WiFi on S10 plus and older. I'm not sure about anything after the 10 version. Thought it might be helpful to others to go ahead and post bout it. I used it once on my S10 Plus a few years back when I had issues and there was no WiFi nearby.

Is it possible to change to a different plan that allows an international roaming data pass before I travel, and then switch back to the T-Mobile Connect plan once I return? Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@magenta9392259 that's a great question. We have two options: $15/month and $25/month. The main price won't change, but taxes and other fees may change.

@sunnywilson we don't encourage changing between plans like what you're describing for a couple reasons. If the plan you're on currently was a limited time offer, we can't guarantee you'll be able to get that back. Another reason is any balance and tenure tied to that account can't be transferred to the new account.

We have a What you need to know section on our Sign up for T-Mobile Connect Prepaid service | T-Mobile Support page that'll cover some other info worth reading.

Thanks for your response. Would you please tell me how much I need to pay include $15 and all taxes & fee? And right now all T-Mobile agency are closed, how can I get the start kit?