T-Mobile Bait and Switch scam on December 2021 "Free" upgrade to IPhone13 + airpods

• 22 February 2022
  • 52 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

My Family has been scammed by T-Mobile!  1st mistake: In early November we switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.   2nd: Mistake:  Fell for the so called “Free” IPhone 13 upgrade scam!   

I traded in/sent them my perfect condition i-phone 12 pro max for a i-phone 13 pro max and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months

I traded in/sent them my wife’s perfect condition i-phone 12 pro for a i-phone 13 pro  and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months 

I’m now being charged  $36.67 - 15.50 credit for each phone. So being charged $21.17 for each phone per month.    

If you do the math they gave me $465 each for my phones.

The promotion was $1000 credit on any I-phone 12!  They lied!

My local store employees verbally guaranteed we would get the full $1000 because that was the promotion!

I’m still fighting to get the full credits.   Next step is filing a complaint with Better Business and taking legal action filing a class action lawsuit. 

If you’ve experienced something similar with this promotion they ran in Dec. 2021 I would love to here your comments.

52 replies

I was hit with almost the exact same thing. Mine was trade in my iPhone 11 and get $800 in credits on an iPhone 13, 13pro or 13 ProMax. When I sent my iPhone 11 in I was given a 250.00 credit that they put toward my phone bill, not the new iPhone 13 ProMax and now get a monthly installment credit of $19.17 for 30 months which is $575 not $800.00 Plus they offered free AirPods by charging me $130.00 and then told me that I would get a $130 visa card. The problem is that I was never told I had to go on line and fill out a requdest with a Promo code to get the $130. I just kept waiting for the visa card to arrive and when it didn’t in three months I called and was told there was nothing they can do because the promo was over and I didn’t submit my request in time.  I cant wait to switch over to AT&T 

Userlevel 1

I’ve gotten scammed for the 2nd time now - shame on me!!!  The first time was in November of 2020 when we were told the new phone we were upgrading to was on a free promotion.  We continued to be billed and kept being told after 2 billing cycles, you will see credits each month.  NEVER HAPPENED!!!!  Trying to reach anyone who will help in impossible.  Nothing but a run around.  Then, in December 2021, we also fell for the FREE IPHONE 13.  Both of my daughters traded in their perfectly good phones (one of which we actually paid $150 to fix the screen so we could trade in).  I am now being charged for one of the phones and I continue to be told this was a buy one get one deal.  Why in the HELL would I do a BOGO deal when they had a free promotion for the phone!!??!!  I am now going through the same hassle as before.  They have you sign so many papers and sit in their building for so long (we were there a total of more than 6 hours over two days!) that you don’t know what is going on.  Despite the repeated assurances that “both phones are completely free - I promise” we are once again paying for what was supposed to be a free phone.  I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY HELP FROM TMOBILE TO CONTACT ME AND FIX THIS.

Oh my God, I’m glad we’re not the only one taken by this shell game. We went in and were offered three iphone 13, two of which would be credited with $26, monthly credits, and one partially credited that would end up being a $9.40 payment. And now we are stuck with “the promotion was a buy one, get one free” explanation whenever I call. I did talk to someone last week who went through the motions of fixing it, with no real change: me phone credited, one payment for the phone, and one partial. 

Userlevel 1

Sorry to see we are not alone.  We have been T-Mobile customers since 2018.  We wanted to reduce our bill and switched over from AT&T.  Service has been okay, at times spotty and frequently slow downloading. 

In April 2020 we upgraded one of the i-phone 8s for the 11 with a promotion they were running.  They never applied the credits.  We had to jump through hoops and after several months they made good and we were satisfied with the outcome.

But now...here we are again!

We upgraded to Magenta Max to qualify for the free I-phone 13 pro promotion in November 2021, expecting an improvement in service.  Totally scammed.  The rep I spoke with yesterday apologized for the rep that originally processed the order saying she was sorry they didn’t fully explain the promotion and there was nothing that could be done since they complied with the promotion.  I was assured many times over  by the original rep processing the order that the phone would be free and the charges billed would be credited each month.  As it turned out, we only received partial credits.  I would never have committed to 30 additional months plus “upgrade” to Magenta Max since we are still experiencing dropped calls and areas with spotty service.  VERY disappointed with T-Mobile!!  I will be seeking legal advice in hopes to resolve this matter.  

Scammed 3 times by three different TMobile reps in the Philippines. All of my calls were recorded by Tmobile so there should be absolutely NO refuting the content of the conversations and the promises made by the reps.

4/21/2022 I spoke to “Rodica”, sales rep at the Philippine call center to get info on switching my mother’s ATT cell plan to TMobile. She promised the following:

FREE iPhone 13 ProMax 128gb phone if we switched to Tmobile and took the 55+ Magenta Max Plan for $65/mo on autopay. Sounded great so we signed up for this promotion with her.

Later that afternoon, we received email receipt for installment payments for $1199/mo!!

4/21/2022 3:25pm ET I called Tmobile and got the Philippine call center again and spoke with “Jason”. He apologized but said that there was no such promotion...PERIOD. I told him that this was a classic “bait and switch” and told him to cancel this account and “DO NOT ship the new phone.” Jason told be “too late, the phone has already been shipped and I’m sorry sir about any confusion on our end but there is no such promotion that Rodica told you about. I will email you the UPS tracking number information.” He never emailed anything. He told me “our email server is not working. I’m sorry sir.”

4/22/2022 at 11:15am ET. I called “order support” and got the Philippine call center again and spoke with “Niel” Employee # 555500. He told me the following: “when you turn in your old iphone 6, you WILL receive a $400 credit for that phone. He was adamant that this was the truth and he promised to email me written confirmation of this. He never did. Niel also promised that the $400 credit would appear on the next billing statement. I believed him. Stupid me.

4/25/2022 We received the new iphone 13 promax and I successfully activated it with the Tmobile SIM card.

4/26/2022 I called Tmobile from the next iphone 13 promax using 611 and got the Tmobile call center in Birmingham, Alabama and spoke to “Sugar”.  She apologized and informed me that there was NO $400 credit to be applied. She did however tell me that there would be a $200 credit (divided over 24 months and applied on a monthly basis).  She said in the future that in order to speak with USA Tmobile support, I should call 611 from the iphone.

From what I’ve read above, this is classic bait and switch done by Tmobile call center in the Philippines. I don’t know what to do going forward other than filling out the Tmobile complaint form.

If I had this all to do over again, I would have taken Mom’s phone to the AT&T store in person and wheeled and dealed there. I will NEVER in the future do business over the phone with Philippine call centers.

TMOBILE….PLEASE read this complaint string by so many customers who have been duped by the Philippine call centers! This is all simply WRONG and you really are responsible for making all of us whole because we’ve been hurt financially by your representatives in the Philippines.

Let’s go!!

Same thing happened to me. The promotion in December 2021 was iPhone 13 on us with trade in and free AirPods.  I traded in 3 iPhone 11s and and iPhone 8.  I am being charged for 2 phones was told that the promotion in December 2021 was buy one get one free.  That there’s nothing they can do.  They cannot find any promotion in December for free iPhones with trade in.  They apologized that the person I spoke with didn’t properly explain the promotion.  They were running commercials starting around Thanksgiving 2021 for free iPhones and now they can't find the promotion.  Totally ridiculous.  I only switched to TMobile because of the free phones.

Userlevel 2

My Family has been scammed by T-Mobile!  1st mistake: In early November we switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.   2nd: Mistake:  Fell for the so called “Free” IPhone 13 upgrade scam!   

I traded in/sent them my perfect condition i-phone 12 pro max for a i-phone 13 pro max and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months

I traded in/sent them my wife’s perfect condition i-phone 12 pro for a i-phone 13 pro  and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months 

I’m now being charged  $36.67 - 15.50 credit for each phone. So being charged $21.17 for each phone per month.    

If you do the math they gave me $465 each for my phones.

The promotion was $1000 credit on any I-phone 12!  They lied!

My local store employees verbally guaranteed we would get the full $1000 because that was the promotion!

I’m still fighting to get the full credits.   Next step is filing a complaint with Better Business and taking legal action filing a class action lawsuit. 

If you’ve experienced something similar with this promotion they ran in Dec. 2021 I would love to here your comments.

It seems there are a lot of people being scammed by T-mobile. I’ve been lied to also! 
I was told that the promotion stated the value of the iPhone you send in for upgrades was posted but it never showed up anywhere. We should all file a class action against them! I’ll be posting in BBB also. 

Userlevel 2

Same thing happened to me. The promotion in December 2021 was iPhone 13 on us with trade in and free AirPods.  I traded in 3 iPhone 11s and and iPhone 8.  I am being charged for 2 phones was told that the promotion in December 2021 was buy one get one free.  That there’s nothing they can do.  They cannot find any promotion in December for free iPhones with trade in.  They apologized that the person I spoke with didn’t properly explain the promotion.  They were running commercials starting around Thanksgiving 2021 for free iPhones and now they can't find the promotion.  Totally ridiculous.  I only switched to TMobile because of the free phones.

Yes this happened to a lot of people. I was also scammed by T-mobile! I have pictures of the promotions as proof but they still said it was not  ON US but there was an amount attached to the model of the iPhone being returned. Which is not true. They hid the information to the public so we would send in our phones to find out later they we were not going to get iPhone on them but only get a portion credit from the iPhone we sent in, this is BAIT AND SWITCH! 

Userlevel 2

Scammed 3 times by three different TMobile reps in the Philippines. All of my calls were recorded by Tmobile so there should be absolutely NO refuting the content of the conversations and the promises made by the reps.

4/21/2022 I spoke to “Rodica”, sales rep at the Philippine call center to get info on switching my mother’s ATT cell plan to TMobile. She promised the following:

FREE iPhone 13 ProMax 128gb phone if we switched to Tmobile and took the 55+ Magenta Max Plan for $65/mo on autopay. Sounded great so we signed up for this promotion with her.

Later that afternoon, we received email receipt for installment payments for $1199/mo!!

4/21/2022 3:25pm ET I called Tmobile and got the Philippine call center again and spoke with “Jason”. He apologized but said that there was no such promotion...PERIOD. I told him that this was a classic “bait and switch” and told him to cancel this account and “DO NOT ship the new phone.” Jason told be “too late, the phone has already been shipped and I’m sorry sir about any confusion on our end but there is no such promotion that Rodica told you about. I will email you the UPS tracking number information.” He never emailed anything. He told me “our email server is not working. I’m sorry sir.”

4/22/2022 at 11:15am ET. I called “order support” and got the Philippine call center again and spoke with “Niel” Employee # 555500. He told me the following: “when you turn in your old iphone 6, you WILL receive a $400 credit for that phone. He was adamant that this was the truth and he promised to email me written confirmation of this. He never did. Niel also promised that the $400 credit would appear on the next billing statement. I believed him. Stupid me.

4/25/2022 We received the new iphone 13 promax and I successfully activated it with the Tmobile SIM card.

4/26/2022 I called Tmobile from the next iphone 13 promax using 611 and got the Tmobile call center in Birmingham, Alabama and spoke to “Sugar”.  She apologized and informed me that there was NO $400 credit to be applied. She did however tell me that there would be a $200 credit (divided over 24 months and applied on a monthly basis).  She said in the future that in order to speak with USA Tmobile support, I should call 611 from the iphone.

From what I’ve read above, this is classic bait and switch done by Tmobile call center in the Philippines. I don’t know what to do going forward other than filling out the Tmobile complaint form.

If I had this all to do over again, I would have taken Mom’s phone to the AT&T store in person and wheeled and dealed there. I will NEVER in the future do business over the phone with Philippine call centers.

TMOBILE….PLEASE read this complaint string by so many customers who have been duped by the Philippine call centers! This is all simply WRONG and you really are responsible for making all of us whole because we’ve been hurt financially by your representatives in the Philippines.

Let’s go!!

It’s also happening in the United States and I would not be surprised if it is happening world wide! I was scammed also by the bait and switch! 

Userlevel 2

They used the promotion as a bait and switch. I was scammed also! But I have pictures of the promotion.

Userlevel 2

Sorry to see we are not alone.  We have been T-Mobile customers since 2018.  We wanted to reduce our bill and switched over from AT&T.  Service has been okay, at times spotty and frequently slow downloading. 

In April 2020 we upgraded one of the i-phone 8s for the 11 with a promotion they were running.  They never applied the credits.  We had to jump through hoops and after several months they made good and we were satisfied with the outcome.

But now...here we are again!

We upgraded to Magenta Max to qualify for the free I-phone 13 pro promotion in November 2021, expecting an improvement in service.  Totally scammed.  The rep I spoke with yesterday apologized for the rep that originally processed the order saying she was sorry they didn’t fully explain the promotion and there was nothing that could be done since they complied with the promotion.  I was assured many times over  by the original rep processing the order that the phone would be free and the charges billed would be credited each month.  As it turned out, we only received partial credits.  I would never have committed to 30 additional months plus “upgrade” to Magenta Max since we are still experiencing dropped calls and areas with spotty service.  VERY disappointed with T-Mobile!!  I will be seeking legal advice in hopes to resolve this matter.  

We need to all get in on legal advise, as a lot of people have been scammed, I’m one of them! 

I got scammed too! I called multiple times, went to different stores and can't get any help. I'm not giving up yet. We had 2 new iPhone 12s and was told if we hand them in we get 2 free new iPhone 13s. So that's a no brainer. Wrong. They took the phones, gave us a total of $510 of credit and gave us a buy one iPhone 13 get one free. So we have to pay 500 dollars now for the other phone. The deal was 2 free phones not one. Why else would we give them full paid for brand new phones?

Next I signed up for t mobile hone internet. They say hey u want a watch for free. I say sure. Wrong again. I was given a choice between the 44mm and the 40mm so I choose the bigger one cause I'm a bigger man. Well it turns out I have to pay $4 a month for it cause the bigger one isn't free and I have to carry the line of $10 a month. If I cancel I have to pay for the watch outright. These guys are some great taking advantage of us. 

We too have been a victim of the bait and switch.  It all started in Nov. 2021 when Sprint was pushing us to upgrade a phone that was still 3G.  We ended up migrating our lines to T-Mobile after 17 years with Sprint.  We traded 2 iPhone XR’s and an iPhone7.  We paid the taxes and another $200 to make up for the iPhone7 being of lesser trade in value.  6 months later we are still trying to resolve the bill.  They keep telling us that the promo we were given wasn't available - even though the in-store mgr confirmed it.  They actually owe us a credit, but have suspended our business lines twice because of billing errors on their end.   Long story short - let’s start a class action lawsuit.  I started one before against Gateway computers (successfully) and am ready to do it again.  These companies act with impunity and need to realize that as customers we have options - one of them to hit them in the pocket book.  I truly think they make it so difficult that people eventually give up.  If anyone is interested in joining a class action, post something on here and I will create a site for us connect.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

For promotional trade ins (meaning higher trade in than fair market value), here is how the math works:

• As long as you get the quote for your phone model with accurate condition, you should get the full amount. For example, if the promotion tells you the trade in device qualifies for $1000 for your selected new device, then that is what you will get.
  • Once you accept, your phone will get assessed “fair market value” as decided by TMO 3rd party trade in service Assurant. For example, let’s say FMV says your phone is worth $500 even though you qualified for $1000 trade in.
  • The $500 FMV will be spread over 24 months statement credit. In this example the monthly credit will be 20.83. Your last credit will be a little more to true up rounding.
  • Since the $500 in monthly credit does not cover your $1000 trade in promotion, TMO will issue you a one time $500 bill credit up front on your next bill.
  • The monthly credit and the one time up from credit will equal $1000.

Now for what you get charged for your new phone is a little confusing:

• Let’s say you buy a $1000 new phone and that makes the trade in basically “free”. However, you still have to pay sales tax, shipping, and activation. You get charged this up front and cannot use credits to pay for it, This does not show up on your bill since you have to pay when you order your new phone.
  • Now what you basically have is a zero down, zero interest loan over 24 months so you will be charged $41.67 per month with the last payment a little less to true up rounding to total $1000.

On your first bill, you will see the following:

• One time credit of $500.
  • Monthly equipment installment charge of $41.67
  • Monthly trade in credit of $20.83

On your 2 of 24 bill and onward thru 24 of 24 you will see:

• Monthly equipment installment charge of $41.67
  • Monthly trade in credit of $20.83

If those on this thread did not get the up front credit and the monthly credits fall short of the full credit promised, then there is definitely a problem and you might want to escalate directly on TMO twitter help thread.

Hopefully this information is useful. I’ve traded in promotions many times and it always calculates out to the exact amount as promised. I have to admit though a couple months after trade in I do occasionally go “WTF why am I being billed for this phone?”. I just forget that I got the offsetting credit up front in one lump sum.

Badge

This same thing has happened to me, and I’m really pissed off about it. They did not do at all what they said they would do. This switch is costing me a freaking fortune. I regret it already and it’s only been a few days. My bill is over $100 per month more than I was told it would be, and now I have to pay off the phones from AT&T. It’s a bait and switch and T Mobile deserves to be called out for this deceiving business practice. I hate starting off so mad at them.

Same here I paid the amount owed less the credit so the phone would be paid off , yet they are still trying to charge me after disqualifying me as a change of plan (thety  changed without my knowledge) scammers lets sue them.  If any one wants to join me im in So California email me at Bondocean69@gmail.com.  They also screwed me around on a free line, which I will add, so lets see how a judge will do with this lie...T Mobile is a Bull sh_T company…..

Same thing here.  Traded 3 phones.  2 were Sprint Leases (apparently I was to receive credit for them).  One was owned outright.  They gave me credit for the 2 Sprint Leases, but they deleted my promotion on the non leased phone after 2 billing periods claiming the phone was not traded in.  Then they acknowledged it was lost but told me they need to investigate it before re-enrolling me?  Why am I accountable when they lost the phone?

When I received my 3 new iphones via mail, I called and asked for instructions on returning my handsets for the promotion.  They said - “it’s simple - just take it down to a local Tmobile Store”.  I figured that is great.  Frankly - I suspect they use this as a way to claim a customer never turned in a device.  That’s awful and unethical.  Maybe their store associate pocketed it.  Who knows.  That is on them for having a poor system for accountability.  I suppose I should only handle things through services that are traceable like Fedex from now on.

If anyone finds a lawyer willing to take on this unethical behavior, I’m happy to enjoin a class action suit if there is a benefit.

i too became part of this. i clearly remember seeing that if i switch i would get 24 months credit of 50dollars for getting the s22 ultra i know because it made sense since it would 0 out the 50dollar equipment fee making the phone essentially free. first thing i notice it wasnt mention anywhere in the contract however i did read that we (ALL OF US WAIVE OUR RIGHTS TO SUE THEM AS A CLASS ACTION) so thats that. patetic that now that they merge with sprint they would go this low in their promise no wonder they added on their website page FULL TRANSPERANCY and ITS OUR PROMISE yeah things to make you lower your guard. i called and called they always tell me the same thing oh we never had that promotion it must have been with some other carrier B&&%$ please i know what i saw and the only reason i went for it its because of the credit that would zero it out so i got two phones now im on the hook for $2200 plus the initial fees and taxes. been customer since 2014 and they didnt care they are much bigger now with that union it seems they dont care anymore they are too big to fail. well i guess collections it is. i have a better fighting chance against collection agencies since i did not have a contract with them. “””awe thank you mr collector for paying that debt i really apreciate you for doing that.   its been a very difficult year. however  you and i dont have any contract that says i need to pay you. 

I have been a victim of similar scam from Sprint/T-Mobile. I returned my kid’s XS in excellent condition to Sprint who got acquired by T-Mobile during this season, and yet to receive billing credit. Every time I talk to someone they acknowledge and promise credits, but no real results.

We too have been a victim of the bait and switch.  It all started in Nov. 2021 when Sprint was pushing us to upgrade a phone that was still 3G.  We ended up migrating our lines to T-Mobile after 17 years with Sprint.  We traded 2 iPhone XR’s and an iPhone7.  We paid the taxes and another $200 to make up for the iPhone7 being of lesser trade in value.  6 months later we are still trying to resolve the bill.  They keep telling us that the promo we were given wasn't available - even though the in-store mgr confirmed it.  They actually owe us a credit, but have suspended our business lines twice because of billing errors on their end.   Long story short - let’s start a class action lawsuit.  I started one before against Gateway computers (successfully) and am ready to do it again.  These companies act with impunity and need to realize that as customers we have options - one of them to hit them in the pocket book.  I truly think they make it so difficult that people eventually give up.  If anyone is interested in joining a class action, post something on here and I will create a site for us connect.

Same EXACT SAME THING HERE IN PHILLY!  Traded in phone, had to pay around 200, For taxes line set up etc. Then they’re telling me I have a $10-$20 phone payment each month? I did not finance anything it was “free on us” there was nothing free if I have Apple support for a year why am I paying another $18 for  

Apple support also. 

You actually can make a complaint there are several, if you go to ACP. You were able to directly make a complaint through the FCC and broadband service. There are several hundred thousand right now just for this year for tmobile. They have placed me on the wrong billing amount 4 months  separate occasions. Also I was never able to get my Apple TV subscription yes I’m complaining about that too. But worst of all is my service is such shit. Drop calls never ever had so many spam calls in my life as with this service. People telling me that they’re going to fix my phone issues, just let on to re-explain what the problem is after they finally read the months of weekly notes, I did not get the right phone on the promotion, because they were a  ordered” but the phone that I got was still a free promotion. It was not I’m paying monthly for the same exact phone I gave them. Disgusted is a very simple word, they are typical trash cell carrier of America. Boost mobile has better qualifications in these dudes

We were also lied to! My husband was told he had to get a phone (free 5g phone ) for the service to work…funny thing is his phone stays in 4G.. we just noticed on our bill we are being charged for the “free” phone!!! we was with boost.. kept getting messages from T-Mobile saying we had to switch or we would loose service!  We used to pay 85$ a month through boost.. we now pay 100$ through T-Mobile!! The service is horrible!! We get the lost call crap all the time! Hard to get phone to dial out!  For the people saying read the small print.. I shouldn’t have to .. when I have T-Mobile representative tell me it’s a free phone …there shouldn’t be any fine print crap! My husband aunt was also lied to.. she’s going through the same as us! About ready to just cut ties and take the loss and go with someone else! 

They also lied to me. I'm paying 3 phones right now. They told me  to buy one and get 2 phones free. Any advice on how to resolve this huge  issue? 

Report the bait and switch issue to the Attorney General in the state of the store that you bought your your phone in. If you made your purchase online, then report them to the Attorney General of the state that you live in. Keep any documentation that provides support of the bait and switch. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do not trade in your phone like I did. Mine was in mint condition they approved me for $800 value but now they are charging me full price for a new one? WTF, they also threw in a google watch and said it was free but then added a line for it so Im paying $29 for the line and charged me full price for the watch? WTF so my first bill was over $400, and now Im paying $200 that's $100 more than I paid with CC. They have the stores scaming people left and right and lying to customers to get commission. Do not switch to T mobile

September 2022 Another 800.00 credit deception. I also switched from ATT to T-Mobile as a result of being told by 2 different salesman in the store that I would receive a payment per month that would offset the cost of the new phone with an equal credit to the payment resulting in no cost for the new phone. So I got the number required with a deadline to transfer my old number to T-Mobile and the first sales rep told me that they would pay off the balance of the 250.00 on my phone and come in on Friday and she would in addition get me a credit for the 250.00 in the form of a gift card. I ask her 3 times if she was sure that was correct and that I would pay off the balance on my old phone to make sure. No we will pay the balance. After seeing that the balance was not paid off with only one day before my deadline to lose my old phone number I went in to the store and was told again about the 800.00 credit and we don’t pay of balances on phone contracts and as a result the only alternative in the time remaining was to trade in the old phone buy the new one with no cost after offsetting payments. To make a long story short after sitting in the store for more than an hour I walked out with a new phone after trading in my old phone in perfect condition with a 10.00 dollar payment for 24 months over the cost of the offsetting payments.