T-Mobile Bait and Switch scam on December 2021 "Free" upgrade to IPhone13 + airpods

• 22 February 2022
  • 52 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

My Family has been scammed by T-Mobile!  1st mistake: In early November we switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.   2nd: Mistake:  Fell for the so called “Free” IPhone 13 upgrade scam!   

I traded in/sent them my perfect condition i-phone 12 pro max for a i-phone 13 pro max and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months

I traded in/sent them my wife’s perfect condition i-phone 12 pro for a i-phone 13 pro  and was told I would received $1000  in installment credits over 30 months 

I’m now being charged  $36.67 - 15.50 credit for each phone. So being charged $21.17 for each phone per month.    

If you do the math they gave me $465 each for my phones.

The promotion was $1000 credit on any I-phone 12!  They lied!

My local store employees verbally guaranteed we would get the full $1000 because that was the promotion!

I’m still fighting to get the full credits.   Next step is filing a complaint with Better Business and taking legal action filing a class action lawsuit. 

If you’ve experienced something similar with this promotion they ran in Dec. 2021 I would love to here your comments.

52 replies

The same thing has happened to me and it’s been a battle for 6 months trying to resolve it. What’s better is after my last call a couple of days ago, rather than getting further, they removed more features from my plan by removing our Netflix account that was supposed to be included for the length of our business account. I have printed every single invoice to go over every detail to try and see what happened and it seems pretty clear. When we went into the store, we had 2 working phones, we went to port the numbers over to T-mobile and use our current devices.

The rep said they had a promo going on that if we did what we planned, we qualified for 2 free S23’s. We were also opening a third line for our business line and qualified for the $730 off the iPhone 14 models so we went with the 14 Plus. We were offered 3 months of Apple TV for free and a free Netflix account.

Then while waiting 3 hours to get everything going, the sales rep didn’t port our numbers, he opened 2 numbers on the S23’s. When we alerted this mistake to him, he went back and “fixed” everything and got our numbers onto the S23’s. He told us for our inconvenience he would work with our B2B rep and get us a $200 credit on our bill which hey great but either way that wasn’t our main focus and either way didn’t matter to us. We went with the ‘Ultimate’ unlimited plan so all in all our bill should have been about $150 a month.

When we got the first bill, it was $192. So we called our sales rep and removed the insurance and were told that the $30 extra a month was the “taxes” which seemed un believable but fine. Second bill same thing, called about the $200 ‘credit’ offered in store, kind of got that applied but however they did it on the invoice it only deducted about $86 but like I said that wasn’t a major factor so we took what we could get to get closer to our expected monthly bill while we resolved the underlying issue.

For 6 months we have been going back and forth with our B2B sales rep until about 3 months ago he just stopped replying. His name is Shawn Fitzgerald. He will not answer calls, return calls, or reply to emails. So now I have resulted in calling customer support. 

2 days ago I called and spoke with Louise and she was nice, but kept telling me that the promo wasn’t available when I got my phones but it was because you can clearly see on the invoice that it was applied to my two lines, just not the two random numbers and devices that appear on my first invoice. Yes there are 2 random numbers on my first invoice and account that don’t belong to me and I don’t have devices connected to those number. For whatever reason though, I am paying for those two devices because the next invoice instead of just dropping those 2 lines from my account and the monthly payment along with them, they transferred the payments for those lines over to the 2 devices that were supposed to be on the ‘P7 Lines On Us’ promo. Louise told me she was having the case escalated and someone would get back to me in 24-48 hours and that for now she was going to apply whatever she could to get my bill down to the $150 per month we expected to pay. While this seemed odd I said fine I’ll wait and talk to the escalation team more in a day or so.

2 days came and went, and in the mean time I got a text saying my Netflix had been canceled! So now not only am I paying for these phones but by bringing it up I’m being strongarmed by them removing features for some reason and what am I to think, if I keep calling am I going to start losing service or now with the new Terms of Service being implemented on the first of the year am I going to be fined for something they randomly claim violates their ToS? 

Regardless, I called again today and spoke with Ron. He seemed like he understood more what I was dealing with but also tried to say that the promo wasn’t available at that time but I pointed out on the invoice where it was and he put me on hold to look into it. Now I have looked over everything and see more that on my line, not only do I have the “P7 Line On Us” promo, somehow I ALSO have a “P19 Samsung Activate” promo that gives me 50% the device, it almost looks like I have 2 devices on 1 phone number where 1 is free and the other I am paying 50% for!?! So I am supposed to wait another 72-hours to hear back from someone when Ron escalated it, I have worked for phone sales, I have worked for over the phone customer service and this is absurd. This situation raises serious ethical concerns and, at worst, suggests gross misconduct. 

If you go into a store, record the interaction because apparently, they won’t take your word for it, they wont take the invoices word for it, and they won’t honor what you signed when activating the phone. I would like to return the phones, it is still within the 6 months so the sales rep can still receive a charge back on his commission, so there is completely this option available. I would have never gotten these phones when I had perfectly working devices to begin with and this bait-and-switch is unforgettable. If I could return part ways with my business number and start service elsewhere I would do it in a heart beat.

Same thing happened to us on a upgrade, after being with TMobile 22 years. Sent in two perfectly good phones (we simply needed more RAM) and was promised $650 credit, but it never came through, even after repeated calls. Rep on phone to set up the deal was in Jamaica. The rep who pretended she was going to fix it was in Philippines. Local store said they could not do the deal as they were franchise, not corporate, etc. Will never trust TM again, or do anything via phone with them, will never use them to upgrade a phone, now that I know they are mere predators. I hate the company escapes criminal liability as all those who pull off these deals need to go to jail pronto. Kinda need a godfather to have a nice little talk with the CEO. Where is the FBI and where are state’s Attorney Generals>