Question

Tmobile lost my trade in and is not honoring trade credit.What can I do?

• 29 September 2022
  • 16 replies

Badge

I shipped the trade in to T-Mobile, the tracking says it was delivered. I called them to ask about my trade in credit and they said they never received the phone. I provided them the tracking number and the email saying how much my trade in was approved for. They are now only offering me $80 from what was supposed to be $380. What are my options here? I’ve been a T-Mobile customer for a very long time with 6 lines and multiple new phones on payment plans.

16 replies

If the tracking shows delivered but the device was not scanned in then you would want to file a claim with USPS. T-Mobile does not use tracking #s as proof of receiving the device just that the package was received. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Devices are also not sent to T-Mobile.  They are sent to Assurant.  Trade-in value is also an estimate until the device is received and assessed by Assurant.  Almost always, trade-in devices are assessed at a much lower value when received than what the initial estimation was.  

Badge

I received an email that said it was received and the credit would be applied to my account. Only I never received the credit which is why I called in the first place. And that’s when they said they couldn’t find it and only offered me $80. I have the phones serial number in the email.

T-Mobile has a great scam going.  I have seen several similar complaints about the same thing. In fact, we learned yesterday that T-Mobile claims they don't have either of our phones.  My wife sent hers back from one city in February, confirmation of delivery received.  I sent mine from another city a few days later.  Nine months later, they tell us they were never received and that we will owe then $1,800 to get out of the contract - this is after we paid for one phone according to the promotion they moved us too.  I tried to turn my phone in at a store and was told I had to ship it.  This has to be a scam - they bait, then switch you to another plan, then do whatever they wish with trade-in phones.  We are looking take legal action and are looking for others, like you to show this is a bigger issue than just one or two customers.  You can reach out at tmobilescam@yahoo.com

Same thing just happened to me, traded in iPhone X pro for a iPhone 14 back in September and UPS indicated it was received back in September but the reps keep on saying they cannot locate the phone and hence cannot give me a credit! Since they cannot locate the phone, they are not giving me a credit back. I cannot just lose $800 for nothing. Anything we can do? 

I received an email that said it was received and the credit would be applied to my account. Only I never received the credit which is why I called in the first place. And that’s when they said they couldn’t find it and only offered me $80. I have the phones serial number in the email.

Same thing just happened to me, traded in iPhone X pro for a iPhone 14 back in September and UPS indicated it was received back in September but the reps keep on saying they cannot locate the phone and hence cannot give me a credit! Since they cannot locate the phone, they are not giving me a credit back. I cannot just lose $800 for nothing. Anything we can do? 

I’m having the same problem right now. I’m looking into law firms who specialize in class actions if anyone’s interested in combining efforts. I’m tired of t-mobile’s BS and the headache they’ve caused me. 

email: t***************@gmail.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

There appears to be some resolutions on lost or devalued phones on BBB.

https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/bellevue/profile/cell-phone-supplies/t-mobile-usa-inc-1296-27026359/complaints

This lost trade in thing seems like a common problem.  I had a similar issue with Verizon.  In their case I was put into an online maze which couldn’t be resolved.  They wouldn’t honor the trade in deal, so, I came to T mobile.

Now, I traded in a $400 value phone to T-mobile via mail a while back and they are saying that the phone hasn’t been received.  I used their own shipping label.

I think the best way to handle this is to send a letter to the BBB.  Not sure if the FCC is interested in this problem, but it can’t hurt to report it to them too.  I don’t believe the phone dissapeared before getting to Assurant for my credit. Googling it reveals that this is happening to a lot of people.

I’m dealing with the exact same thing. Most of the replies you have received are incorrect. T-Mobile does use the tracking numbers to verify the phones. I had mine appraised and boxed at the t-mobile store. They told me to make sure that I had it sent from the USPS desk and not to drop it in a mailbox as this could happen. It did of course happen to me as well. I just spent hours on the phone with t-mobile and sent them proof of the shipping dates and tracking numbers. They verified everything and apologized. I told them I just wanted my S21 back and a refund for what they overcharged me (they withdrew me from the promotional program because they didnt think they had my phone) . When I called them (after being charged $50 over my bill two months back to back) they used the info I provided and found my phone. They verified it was in there warehouse but basically told me I was screwed. They said they cannot return my phone and that they will only refund $50 as a courtesy and manually escalate the issue. My promo said that the phone must be mailed no later than the 17th in order to arrive by the 30th. I mailed it on the 13th and provided a tracking number and they still refuse to honor our deal. I am literally taking the $50 refund and want my old phone returned in some form and am done with T-Mobile. I have been a customer for YEARS and have been on auto-pay but never have I dealt with MORE BS than this company. 1.7 stars and now I know why. It’s all scams and vague rip-off schemes. I provided actual proof to the customer service supervisor and she apologized and acknowledged I was right and had met the promo regulations but there was nothing they could do. That they deal with this all the time and they are limited to what they can do. $50 refund and that’s it. I cannot do business with a company that does not honor there word but holds us to ours. No way and I encourage anyone who reads this to do better for themselves as well.  

Badge

I’m dealing with the same thing.  I traded in my iphone12 and was supposed to receive a monthly promo credit.  They have received my phone but say I purchased my new phone on a ‘give back’ plan.  I’ve called called Sprint multiple times since March and each time the rep tells me the credit will start appearing ‘next month’.  T-Mobile is investigating now…. not holding my breath.  If they do not honor the trade in credit, I will open a complaint with the MN Attorney General.  

I am dealing with the same thing. My iphone 11 Max Pro was supposed to get an $800 for trade in. They said they can not locate the phone even though I have tracking number saying it was delivered, etc. I have had so many issues since I made the switch from Verizon on May 31, 2023 and have spent hours and hours on the phone trying to straighten so many issues. I seriously thought someone was playing a joke. I can not even explain how much time I have spent and I am so angry beyond belief. I was with Verizon for many many years and no issues - I should have stayed with Verizon, but I was trying to save a few bucks. I am getting completely screwed and do not know what to do. Is this happening to others? I am so angry that they are doing this and getting away with it. It is so unethical. Has anyone gotten a lawyer? This is so wrong.

Badge

I filed a complaint with the MN attorney General's office.  They reached out to T-MOBILE.   A nice representative from the CEOs office reached out to me and we worked it out.  She was able to provide me with my credit.  Good luck!

Thank you - I will try to file a complaint with the MO Attorney General’s Office. I will never go back with T-Mobile after everything they have put me through - it is completely insane how they are screwing people over!

Once t-mobile makes a mistake on your trade-in, they do everything they can to avoid making it right. Even if you have everything in writing, they will give you a credit and say it’s fixed moving forward, but that’s just BS. I was asked by a rep if I wanted to trade in my Pixel 5 for a Pixel 6 after making an unrelated call to them. They sent me an email transcript of the conversation with the details of the trade-in and my question confirming the details. The phone was supposed to be free after rebate and at first they only gave me half credit on my bill, so I called in every month for a few months to get the correct credit, each time the rep saying it was fixed ongoing (wrong!). After 9 month I go zero automatic credits and now I’m calling every 2-3 months to get my credits. What a pain to spend an hour or two on the phone or online. At least the 24 months will be up in April of 2024 as well as my 5 line contract. I HATE T-MOBILE!

I am the recent victim of this scam. I traded in iPhone 12 mini and 13 mini for a promotion iPhone 15 on us. While I got credit for iPhone 12 mini TMobile kept saying they have not received 13 mini. I shipped both the devices in the same pack. Its funny they received one of my device and not the other one. 

Currently dealing with the trade in promotion ending after they say they assessed my phone and there could be damage. I’ve heard in conversation with customer service rep was find my iPhone not off and was there damage to the phone. They are still looking into the notes and will Cb. I told them the screen protector is cracked not the phone. I have a right to say if I want to proceed with the trade if I am not happy with the trade in amount. Clearly you can see this is a screen protector. Waiting on a Cb.