Solved

Android 12 Update for oneplus 7t Pro 5G McLaren

Show first post

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are tons of places with tutorials on how to flash devices.  XDA being the most well known.  Obviously, flashing can potentially void your warranty and unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty on devices.  These boards are not for tutorials on how to flash devices.  

Expecting T-Mobile to deliver something it has very little control over isn't going to change anything.  OPPO now controls Oxygen OS, which is a clone of Color OS.  If your device gets updated to Android 12.  Great!  But as of now, it doesn't look likely and the device is actually beyond its end of life for software updates.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You know this isn't how it works @syaoran

This device is the "Hotdogg" Variant so if you went to the forums that's where you'd find several having this exact problem. In those posts you find people trying to flash their 7T Pro 5G McClaren Edition with those ROMs and its glitchy or doesn't work. Also, if what you're saying is true, and flashing can void you warranty or even brick a device, I guess that means you're proving me rigjt? Because that means being End of Life really does increase risk of bricking, cause even if you try to fix it, you might brick it anyways. Interesting cause it feels like we don't have a "right to repair" this device because we were sold this Variant with that premise of the unlocking bootloader, for it to not matter. 

As much as you think me making a stink is bad, one good thing that could happen is 3rd party development starts on a ROM. Maybe T-mobile could even fund it. We could call it "TheDirtyDeletePatch" and have the community members who have invested in this device be employed by tmobile to make the most out of it. The users of OnePlus phones are enthustiants and would love the recognition, and to help where tmobile lacks.

Most people aren't here for posting, they just wanna update the phone dangit. The bootloader option isn't reality for 90% of people. 

What sucks though is that @syaoran I know that you know this isn't how this works because you know that T-Mobile had an update page made for the OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McClaren Edition and you knew they deleted that page.. You've been active with me on this for months. You've got every excuse for it before, but now you've given up and resigned to admitting the device is end of life. That's a change of tone! Why? The question is, why now? Do you have new information that the update isn't coming? Could it be the mounting evidence of deleted pages and posts? 

Also, why do you act like I'm the enemy when I'm actually the man of the people? You act like I'm angry posting but I'm passion posting. I love customer service and it pains me to see it go so, so badly. 

It's amazing, that we got @syaoran to admit the update isn't coming hwen before we had to go to great lengths to explain that the T-mobile tracker being deleted was a problem for the T-mobile exclusive Variant. That tracker said "development stage" so it being deleted made me think, dang, guess it didn't pass development. I realized though that's just a guess since the page didn't update to say "yeah Android 12 ain't comin" like it should have. It pains me that you denied that for so long, kept up with fake deadlines, only to agree Its End of Life but that even if that's the case, it's not a problem. 

You very literally picked up the goalposts and moved it to where it felt more comfortable for you if I "scored" but unfortunately I see right through it. I think we should have fanfare for you admitting it's not arriving.  I can't believe it. We flipped one in the jury. You agree the device will not get software update. Can't imagine why you've been telling users the contrary for months, but whatever secures the bag. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

None of you seem to know how easy it is to convert the device via the MSM Tool to the Global/NA version or even the EU, In, or China builds.

OnePlus allows bootloader unlocks officially as long as your device is permanently SIM unlocked.  You need to request the bootloader unlock token directly through OnePlus Support.  No custom ROM's needed!

All Nexus and Pixel devices allow bootloader unlocking as long as the device isn't SIM locked. 

I haven't seen any sort of censorship here.  If you break the rules, expect to be moderated!  The same rules apply to everyone that posts in the T-Mobile Community.

Can we install glober version in 5g McLaren??

Because im global version not supported 5g

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

None of you seem to know how easy it is to convert the device via the MSM Tool to the Global/NA version or even the EU, In, or China builds.

OnePlus allows bootloader unlocks officially as long as your device is permanently SIM unlocked.  You need to request the bootloader unlock token directly through OnePlus Support.  No custom ROM's needed!

All Nexus and Pixel devices allow bootloader unlocking as long as the device isn't SIM locked. 

I haven't seen any sort of censorship here.  If you break the rules, expect to be moderated!  The same rules apply to everyone that posts in the T-Mobile Community.

It is possible.  OnePlus devices, like Samsung's, are easy to flash.  The only thing you can't change in the OnePlus device though, is the bands it supports.  That means, flashing it to Global/NA, EU, In, or China will not change what bands the device can use. 

XDA has tutorials and hundreds of pages of successful posts on how to convert the device.  Whether or not.you want to even consider attempting that, is entirely up to you.  Whatever firmware you convert to will still get OTA's normally, if there are any left for that specific firmware. 

When it comes to flashing, it requires a bit of patience and some through reading.  I have been successfully flashing devices since the days of the Sidekick 4G and Galaxy Nexus.  If you are interested in seeing what it will involve, visit XDA-Developers Oneplus 7T Pro McClaren forum.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

These are actions not covered under warranty, just so you're aware properly of the risk involved. @maan.mani  Flashing the device will also delete all your storage, and includes the risk of bricking your device, which if it happens T-mobile will not cover it. Even then, the ROM may not work as intended if not designed for your locale. Exercise caution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

These are actions not covered under warranty, just so you're aware properly of the risk involved. @maan.mani  Flashing the device will also delete all your storage, and includes the risk of bricking your device, which if it happens T-mobile will not cover it. Even then, the ROM may not work as intended if not designed for your locale. Exercise caution!

All hardware for devices pre 9 models were the same regardless of region.  So all OnePlus 7T Pro McClaren editions are the same hardware.  The difference in the region is purely software outside of the radio firmware, which isn't flashable without extreme measures.  OnePlus devices are also incredibly hard to brick.  The MSM Tool is the best solution for soft bricking recovery and returning to 100% stock from custom ROM's but is also widely used as a conversion tool.  

Ultimately, if they choose to go the flash route to the global firmware.  It is their choice and their choice alone.  The walk-throughs do have disclaimers, many successful posts, questions and answers, and just about everything anyone would need to make the best decision for @BugPlusWont​​​​​​, you are quick to judge anything you know nothing about!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

dont quote me on it but i could have sworn i spotted something yesterday that mentioned the 5G variant would get the update but not the 4G one..again dont quote me on it since i cant find where i ran across that at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It has been a while since I have looked at the updates.  From what I remember, the 5G models could flash the 4G update but would lose 5G.  The EU had a 5G version as well that was updated more than the T-Mobile version.  

Deleted

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Some devices can slow down over time.  This isn’t so much update related as it is app data and cached data that builds up over time.   The easiest way to get your device feeling snappy again is with a factory reset after backing up your photos, contacts, and anything else you wouldn’t want to lose.  

Although I don’t have a 7T Pro McClaren on my desk.  My girlfriend’s OnePlus 7 Pro, which is still on Android 11 still feels almost as snappy as the day she got it.  My 7 Pro is in the box and hasn’t been used since the beta for Android 11 FUT testing.  The lack of slowdown over time is why my girlfriend still uses the 7 Pro.  Her prior device was a Samsung S9+.  

The OnePlus 8T+ 5G I mostly use felt the snappiest on Android 11 although still feels quite fast on Android 13.  It did feel a bit sluggish on Android 12 and the issues with Android 12 had me roll it back to Android 11 until the Android 13 beta 1 was released.  My device is actually still running the Android 13 beta 1 and is almost as snappy as it was on Android 11. 

Neither of us use a lot of apps though, no social media apps at all on our devices, and yet they still perform well compared to today’s flagship devices.  Even if you don’t notice any slowdown or performance issues with your device after years of use.  A factory reset is still always recom mended after every major OS update.  

Userlevel 2

The EU had a 5G version as well that was updated more than the T-Mobile version.  

I”m a little vague on searching XDA  for “OP7T Pro Mclaren Android 12 EU.”
Is there a link to the appropriate thread?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The EU had a 5G version as well that was updated more than the T-Mobile version.  

I”m a little vague on searching XDA  for “OP7T Pro Mclaren Android 12 EU.”
Is there a link to the appropriate thread?

I don’t know if it was ever updated to Android 12 but it had more frequent updates in the first year or so of its launch.  Looking in the Guides section, the forum seems to have died back in the summer of 2020 outside of a few threads.  

This really sucks that this was almost $1,000 when it first came out and it is taking this long to get Android 12 when Android 13 is already out. Makes me regret my decision in buying this phone. I feel like I should've just gotten an unlocked Pixel or iPhone 🙄🙄🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This really sucks that this was almost $1,000 when it first came out and it is taking this long to get Android 12 when Android 13 is already out. Makes me regret my decision in buying this phone. I feel like I should've just gotten an unlocked Pixel or iPhone 🙄🙄🙄

Devices depreciate faster than cars the older they get.  It's obsolete on many ways, especially including 5G connectivity.  That said, it's still going to be way faster than an iPhone after 3+ years of updates.  Maybe consider trading your device in or selling it on Swappa and getting something newer.

Devices depreciate faster than cars the older they get.  It's obsolete on many ways, especially including 5G connectivity.  That said, it's still going to be way faster than an iPhone after 3+ years of updates.  Maybe consider trading your device in or selling it on Swappa and getting something newer.

I get all that but the point is we're supposed to get 3 years major OS updates. Part of the reason i bought this phone brand new. I'm not asking to extend the update policy, just what was agreed upon when i bought this phone. Plus i really like this phone other than the bugs it has. Still fast, big screen and live the pop up camera

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I get all that but the point is we're supposed to get 3 years major OS updates. Part of the reason i bought this phone brand new. I'm not asking to extend the update policy, just what was agreed upon when i bought this phone

The device is ready beyond the 3 year window for updates.

I get all that but the point is we're supposed to get 3 years major OS updates. Part of the reason i bought this phone brand new. I'm not asking to extend the update policy, just what was agreed upon when i bought this phone

Yeah but this phone should've been upgraded to Android 12 within the 3 years of updates. Sad that T-Mobile would leave a flagship phone with all these bugs and no fix. 

You do sound like a T-Mobile employee, thay must be giving you a discount or something 🤣🤣

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yeah but this phone should've been upgraded to Android 12 within the 3 years of updates. Sad that T-Mobile would leave a flagship phone with all these bugs and no fix. 

You do sound like a T-Mobile employee, thay must be giving you a discount or something 🤣🤣

Hehehehe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

should have received it but with all the issues they have been running into with 12 compared to the other manufacturers. could still happen but the only ones that’ll be able to answer that one is OP and like any other manufacturer they’ll point fingers at the carrier and vise versa..heck they didnt start kicking out the Beta for 12 to the India variants until around November...and India usually gets the updates well before the states here..Europe period gets them well before us and looking at their site even that was all over the place.

actually just took a look over at their forums. look at this one and the date..cant push to much blame onto a carrier when theyre just starting to release in January...look at the variants its  being sent out to and the areas..theyre just now starting to get it. especially the Global variants...just now starting to get it..and those will get it well before U.S carrier variants.

looks like it’ll include the December security patch as well..

https://community.oneplus.com/circle/1034256502153805826

7/7T forum

one thread i found talking about it..actually just scroll through the above link for the 7/7T  and look at the posts and dates of those threads..not overly promising lol.

https://community.oneplus.com/thread/1237881390193180674

should have received it but with all the issues they have been running into with 12 compared to the other manufacturers. could still happen but the only ones that’ll be able to answer that one is OP and like any other manufacturer they’ll point fingers at the carrier and vise versa..heck they didnt start kicking out the Beta for 12 to the India variants until around November...and India usually gets the updates well before the states here..Europe period gets them well before us and looking at their site even that was all over the place.

actually just took a look over at their forums. look at this one and the date..cant push to much blame onto a carrier when theyre just starting to release in January...look at the variants its  being sent out to and the areas..theyre just now starting to get it. especially the Global variants...just now starting to get it..and those will get it well before U.S carrier variants.

looks like it’ll include the December security patch as well..

https://community.oneplus.com/circle/1034256502153805826

7/7T forum

one thread i found talking about it..actually just scroll through the above link for the 7/7T  and look at the posts and dates of those threads..not overly promising lol.

https://community.oneplus.com/thread/1237881390193180674

Thanks for the info.

I really like the phone and software on the phone and i think if i didn't have the multi touch issues and phone call issue on WiFi i would be ok with not getting Android 12 but those bugs are just annoying and just looks bad in T-Mobile and OnePlus for giving their flagship customers this experience. I mean this phone has 12gb of RAM. It would literal e-waste if they don't update it lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Now the wait for everyone who complained they didn’t get the Android 12 update that now has it now.  It’s time for them to now complain how bad Android 12 is and wanting to rollback to Android 11.  :P

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

u

Thanks for the info.

I really like the phone and software on the phone and i think if i didn't have the multi touch issues and phone call issue on WiFi i would be ok with not getting Android 12 but those bugs are just annoying and just looks bad in T-Mobile and OnePlus for giving their flagship customers this experience. I mean this phone has 12gb of RAM. It would literal e-waste if they don't update it lol

no worries..a lot of people tend to forget checking the actual manufacturers forums..one of the main posters over there is one of the software engineers..if HEs posting info in there about 12 still being in Beta or about to kick out another Beta its safe to say its been a struggle to get a stable variant out and not being held up by any carriers..especially when said Betas are for countries that always get updates before us and have nothing to do with the U.S carrier variants..if they cant get theirs stable safe to say ours isnt anywhere close lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now what is expected date to release update???

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Now what is expected date to release update???

There is no expected date.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any idea??

Any expected month??