Solved

Any one else getting "Configuration Notification" messages?

Show first post

89 replies

I started receiving these on July 9th while in New York when I believe when I tried activating a second SIM. I continued receiving the messages while in Minneapolos and Chicago through the 17th. I was in Texas from the 17th evening through the 23rd afternoon (Dallas and Houston) and didn't receive a single message. I returned to NY and have received my first configuration notification 4 hours after landing.

Another user spoke with T-Mobile support and they said these are not coming from them. I don't think these are likely coming from a legitimate source because replying to one of the messages does not get a response. A ligitimate number, for example T-Mobile's number 462, sends an auto reply when you message it.

I did notice some threads online that seemed to indicate that ting support will send these types of messages when you port a number over. The threads didn't indicate what number the messages came from,  so I couldn't determine if this was the source. Additionally, I am not now and haven't ever been a ting user. In the beginning, I was concerned that someone was trying to hijack my number...

Also no interaction with Ting here.  I've seen the same discussions about Cricket.. but again, I haven't done anything there.

There does seem to be a weird coincidence tho of TMo/OnePlus users.  So far I think we don't know of anyone who isn't?

FWIW, I moved my SIM from SIM2 to SIM1, but still getting the messages (when you have no good ideas, you try the crazy ones).

My next thing may be to move my SIM back to my previous phone and see if they stop (of course that method of debug requires the messages to continue, and since they took a break for 5 days, it'll be hard to prove the negative)

My wife suggested blocking the number so I did but I also decided to report them as spam. Haven't received a single message since and my service is working perfectly.

Userlevel 3

Thank you all for your replies! I think y'all are onto something here -- I see that one user reported the number coming from 5125. What number is everyone receiving these messages from?

I've had a similar issue since July 9th. I turned off texts reporting notifications to reduce the amount of times my phone alerted me. I'm still receiving notifications, just not getting texts anymore. The notifications are "Configuration Notification." T Mobile Tech Dept. has not been able to figure this out. I have an Alcatel Pop4Plus. I have not been traveling. The only activity on the phone before these notifications were sent was my alarm going off that morning.  See below for what I'm receiving:

Userlevel 3

Thank you, @magenta5498166​! 

@magenta5668739 - thank you for the visual -- it's incredibly helpful to me and the team that's looking into this.

If anyone else would like to share what number you're receiving these messages from, that would greatly help us get to the bottom of this error message. 😊

I also am receiving these messages on my OnePlus 2. I've received 4 just today. The numbers are:

(I'm based in NYC)

It's interesting that you are getting these today, given that the last one I got was on July 23.  (OP3T in NC) . So they aren't going to everyone at the same time.

Hi. So I have a One Plus 3T. And I've been getting HUNDREDS of these messages. Dating back to April. No matter how many I block they keep coming much like others in the thread. And if this coming from somewhere that isn't T-Mobile that's a bit scary.

Another OP3T TMobile user, in Washington DC. I have been receiving these exact same text messages since early July.

From following numbers:

Rry, not 5116. That was TMobile text for the phone call I made to customer service about these unwanted messages.

I am also getting these message on my OnePlus 3.

One thing I noticed, messages stopped coming after I switched to native SME application. It has been more than 5 hours no new SMS.

Today has been the worst in a while but this has been going on a long time. It's frankly getting ridiculous

I still haven't gotten one of these since July 23 (knock wood).  I wonder what makes them so inconsistent across users.

Since I wiped my phone in June, I've been using the native SMS app ,and have still gotten the messages ,fwiw.

Userlevel 3

Thank you to everyone who has replied back with the number they're receiving these messages from. They're coming from the following numbers:

These are not T-Mobile short codes which means we're not sending these messages to users. It primarily sounds like this is happening on the OP3 and OP3t and in that case, my recommendation is to reach out directly to OnePlus: https://www.oneplus.com/support . If you've already done so, please let us know how the conversation went.

I just contacted OnePlus after receiving your message. They said that they are not sending the messages either. They recommended I wipe the system's cache and see if the problem persists. I will report back in 2 days to let you all know if I received any more messages.

These are also showing up on a line with an Essential PH-1. These are not OnePlus only. I would guess that some company has a system inadvertently spamming a bunch of users from an old contact list (I've had this ph# for a couple years now before this started up - have also had the line on a PH-1 since November of last year - only started receiving these messages in July).

I can confirm for me:

1. It's not Ting-related (never had an interaction with them in the past)

2. It's not OnePlus related (never had an OP phone)

3. It's not WiFi Calling related

4. It's not related to the software I'm running on my phone (it survived a factory reset with absolutely no apps installed yet)

Even if T-Mobile is not responsible for these messages, they should track down and identify the company who is and request that they stop. It doesn't seem to be malicious spam - it's probably just some bug in some back-end system somewhere sending out these messages.

Wiping the cache did NOT work. I received 5 messages in the span of 15 minutes this morning.

I blacklisted those numbers using Textra as my messaging app and am no longer troubled.

I have also been receiving these texts from the same sources for months daily. I did go to my local T-Mobile to have the issue looked at but they did not see where or why the texts keep coming. I also have a OP3.

I have noticed that it is more likely for me to receive these texts when I drive through dead mobile zones. When I am drive from a dead zone into a live area, I will be bombarded with these texts.

Textra's blacklist has been the most helpful with resolving the texts, but I would like to know where these are coming from and if they are capable of entering malware into my phone.

Need to trace and/or block this spammer.