Question

When will T-Mobile convert their RCS platform to the Jibe Platform (Google) for RCS?

• 24 October 2023
  • 37 replies

Badge

I’ve noticed that Samsung S21-S23 are on T-Mobile’s servers for RCS messaging (AKA Google Messages). But there is an update from T-Mobile’s twitter account posted on 9/21/23 that they will be migrating to Jibe. Any idea or ETA that these devices will migrate. 

37 replies

Badge +1

Might not even be a T-Mobile or Google issue. Happens to Samsung messaging app, Googles, Messaging app. It doesn't matter of location or which servers.  

https://www.sammobile.com/news/rcs-messages-not-working-properly-for-some-galaxy-phone-users/

No technology works 100% of the time, sure. But there is a real issue affecting a ton of T-mobile Samsung phones for the unstable T-mobile RCS with Google Messages that doesn’t affect Samsung Messages. It doesn’t take much research to see how widespread this issue is. 

It’s disappointing that it’s been months since Fall 2023 that T-mobile said they were switching and yet so many phones are still using the T-mobile RCS on the 2024.03.08 version of Google Messages.

Google could do the switch right now if they wanted to. There is no agreement for carriers to use Googles app for x years. It's literally a flag only Google can change. 

All messages apps are affected for some reason. This includes Google Messages. There are regions that only use Jibe and they have this problem listed below. 

"Others also contributed their observations that the people whose chats they find constantly switching between RCS and conventional SMS have Samsung devices. It's unclear what may be causing this, as there's little guidance on the matter from Google or Samsung."

There is a widespread issue with the Google Messages app using the T-mobile RCS on many Samsung devices. People with Google Messages using Jibe instead of T-Mobile RCS report no issues on their Samsung device. T-Mobile said months ago they are switching to Jibe for Google Messages app, but so far many people report that still hasn’t happened. My Locked T-mobile S22 with the March firmware and March Google Messages is still using T-Mobile RCS. So this thread is trying to ask T-mobile why the switch hasn’t happened yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It's the world my guy not just us we are talking about. Google Messages forum if you can find the threads. The old design makes problems easily identifiable. Doesn't matter what server you connect to people who use Samsung devices in the past few months have seen drops to their RCS. It's more noticeable if they are in group chats. S24 uses Jibe and I have been dropped quite a few times randomly from my family chat. Thought it was a Google messages bug and reported with logs on Google forums and went down the rabbit hole. The the article was written you see because of a select few in those threads told them about it. It is poorly written I do admit. 

For example:

Badge +1

It's the world my guy not just us we are talking about. Google Messages forum if you can find the threads. The old design makes problems easily identifiable. Doesn't matter what server you connect to people who use Samsung devices in the past few months have seen drops to their RCS. It's more noticeable if they are in group chats. S24 uses Jibe and I have been dropped quite a few times randomly from my family chat. Thought it was a Google messages bug and reported with logs on Google forums and went down the rabbit hole. The the article was written you see because of a select few in those threads told them about it. It is poorly written I do admit. 

For example:

And you are sure that everyone in your group RCS chat is using Jibe RCS? Or at least everyone using T-mobile in your group RCS chat is using Jibe and not T-mobile RCS? I don’t have any issues on my other Samsung phones when using Jibe RCS for Google Messages as long as everyone in the chat is not using T-mobile RCS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

In the thread if I can find it again it's mostly Samsung devices. It didn't matter the server used. All were using Google messages. Didn't matter where in the world you are. Google made their forums so bad it's hard to keep track let alone find useful information. Google, and Samsung have not responded to inquiries about it for weeks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My group, it's a mixture of both. Group chats if a person drops from it means they dropped out of RCS. You have to add them back every time too. In single chats, if they drop there is no notification unless one sends something and you still haven't reconnected. I have Jibe and I've dropped from our family group about 3 times in the past week. I listed my kids and ex-wife their devices earlier with what device and server. Others like in-laws, grandparents, and such are from other countries. I know they use Jibe with Samsung, or Pixel devices(I bought them for presents over the past 3 years or they live in Korea and only buy Samsung).

Badge +1

In the thread if I can find it again it's mostly Samsung devices. It didn't matter the server used. All were using Google messages. Didn't matter where in the world you are. Google made their forums so bad it's hard to keep track let alone find useful information. Google, and Samsung have not responded to inquiries about it for weeks. 

Yes, Samsung devices. That article you linked is worthless. It has no real information. It does not mention anything about that RCS server is in use. Yet there are a ton of forums and communities, including this one, where there is a lot of confirmation of issues with Google Messages having RCS issues on Samsung devices when the RCS server is T-Mobile instead of Jibe.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Actually US forums...  If you go to other forums including Google own forums There are examples outside of just T-Mobile. You have a case of confirmation bias due to the limited date given to you. 

Fun fact it's an interloping issue which T-Mobile and Google are in charge of. People blame T-Mobile for it.

How do we know this is an issue?

T-Mobile to T-Mobile no issues using RCS to each other Perceived using Samsung Messages.

Jibe to Jibe no issues. (Perceived though, Google own forums alone shows it's not all roses).

To and from each other there are issues. 

There are issues with any RCS withing Samsung Devices. Some people notice this from time to time with Pixel devices. 

There are a lot of testing done in various places not just T-Mobile on other carrier forums. It's one of the reasons carriers are dropping their own servers for Jibe because they all have interloping issues and they got blamed for it alone. For all we know carriers interloping are good, but Google is what is actually causing the issues. 

When I am in front of a computer and I will track that rabbit hole and share links. You will need a translator because they will be in Korean, Mandarin, and French. 

Badge +1

Actually US forums...  If you go to other forums including Google own forums There are examples outside of just T-Mobile. You have a case of confirmation bias due to the limited date given to you. 

Fun fact it's an interloping issue which T-Mobile and Google are in charge of. People blame T-Mobile for it.

T-Mobile to T-Mobile no issues using RCS to each other Perceived using Samsung Messages.

Jibe to Jibe no issues. (Perceived though, Google own forums alone shows it's not all roses).

There are issues with any RCS withing Samsung Devices. Some people notice this from time to time with Pixel devices. 

There are a lot of testing done in various places not just T-Mobile on other carrier forums. It's one of the reasons carriers are dropping their own servers for Jibe because they all have interloping issues and they got blamed for it alone. For all we know carriers interloping are good, but Google is what is actually causing the issues. 

When I am in front of a computer and I will track that rabbit hole and share links. You will need a translator because they will be in Korean, Mandarin, and French. 

My phone is US, and YES, the confirmations I am talking about is for Locked USA T-Mobile Samsung phones using Google Messages that are still using T-Mobile RCS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have seen threads on the AT&T boards and various Canadian carrier forums as well. 

There is one thing that I don't think some realize is, that when a person shuts off their device or has no data or WiFi for whatever reason.  The RCS message will not send to them because they are offline.  That is just how the system works regardless of who the RCS provider is.  If you send it as an SMS or MMS, it will still send and the person will receive it unless their device is powered off or has no cell coverage or WiFi Calling at all until they reconnect to the network.  It makes me wonder if this us what a lot of people are misinterpreting as an issue.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My phone is US, and YES, the confirmations I am talking about is for Locked USA T-Mobile Samsung phones using Google Messages that are still using T-Mobile RCS.

I am pointing out we blame Carriers when they could have done everything right on their end and it's actually Google that goofed. Carriers said OK we spending all this time and resources, and Google isn't helping us. Let's use theirs and be done with it. 

Google was quick to hand it off to Carriers. It's their MO.  Hmm I wonder if it was here that I posted about Jibe is a placeholder and when it gets popular enough they'll push it to Carriers and drop Jibe. Since Carriers were slow to adopt RCS they opened the flood gates and their App. Then Carriers started to interlope and there were problems and Carriers were blamed. Now Google can't drop Jibe because if they did Android wouldn't have an iMessage competitor. That's why they are also pushing their App as default for Android going forward. 

Badge +1

It’s been an issue far too long for Google Messages with RCS by T-Mobile on Samsung devices. T-mobile needs to either fix their RCS servers OR give us Google Messages with RCS by Jibe.

My S20FE is now on Jibe servers, but my spouses A53 still says RCS provided b T-Mobile.

Why?

I'm still on T-Mobile instead of being moved to Jibe. I'm not sure why this is so hard for them to just fix everyone.