Question

T-Mobile Not Unlocking my Phone

• 17 December 2022
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, long story short T-Mobile is not unlocking my phone and not giving me a proper reason about it for over 2 weeks. After more than 10 calls and talked to around 20 people on the customer service side, they are not unlocking the phone.

I know that’s basically violating the law. But wanted to ask first if there is anything I can do with T-Mobile before involving lawyers.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Are you a Tmobile customer and meet the requirements in the link below? If you're a Tmobile USA customer and once you meet the requirements you will get a text letting you know that the phone is now unlocked.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

IF the was a warranty exchange it may have been a refurbished Reseller Flex phone.  That means the device isn’t in T-Mobile system to unlock.  It’s one of Apple worst policies.

No carrier will put the IMEI in their system unless someone from the right channel tells a carrier it belongs to them.  This is to reduce fraud and theft.  https://swappa.com/faq/answer/us-reseller-flex-policy

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I just ran both IMEI by Swappa and all good. T-Mobile on the other hand, is giving me a warning note on the “ghost replaced” one (the one showing up in the purchase receipt in March 2021) saying the following: “We can’t confirm that this device is unblocked. Please contact the original wireless carrier for information about the device’s status.”

“contact the original wireless carrier” lol, that’s the one I “supposedly” bought in their store based on the receipt.

It sounds like someone swapped your phone out without you knowing but I'm sure that's highly unlikely.

Try TForce

I have seen the odd s am years ago with another carrier where a person purchases a phone, returns it within the buyers remorse period, and has actually swapped out the device, making it look like it was never removed from the box.  I don't know if this is the case here but that is why I think T-Mobile should at least blacklist the device this person doesn't have and check to see if that IMEI of the missing device shows up on another account.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update, T-Force team is telling me the same thing as the more than 10 reps/supervisors, to wait almost a week for the “offline” team. Still no explanation or anything. I just have to wait for whenever they can. Not only I was sold a swapped-used phone but also I am being kept hostage with their service. Unbelievable. I called this morning again and no manager wants to talk to me and reps end up hanging up on me without returning the call. I never thought I was see this kind of things from a company this big.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been a Tmobile customer for over 7 years and I meet all the requirements. I have requested this over the phone more than 8 times over the span of the last 2 weeks.

One of the reps is telling me that somebody at the T-Mobile store probably sold me a different phone from the one scanned. Long story short nobody has an idea of what’s going on and cannot fix it. There is never a manager available to solve this. The “backend” team in charge of “hard” unlock never respond emails.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try reaching out to the T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter.  If the device wasn't the device that matches the IMEI on the box.  T-Mobile should blacklist that device IMEI and try to figure out who it was sold to and how you managed to end up with it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you do a warranty exchange?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try reaching out to the T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter.  If the device wasn't the device that matches the IMEI on the box.  T-Mobile should blacklist that device IMEI and try to figure out who it was sold to and how you managed to end up with it.  

Well just like gramps28 says. Another version told by Customer Care is that the IMEI I have right now is different from the one I “supposedly” bought in March 2021. That makes some of the Reps believe it was exchanged, but that never happened. In newer versions of iOS you can see if the phone was repaired or even if it has a none-genuine Apple part. None of that is there. This is a brand new phone I bought on a T-Mobile store. One of the Reps even sent me a copy of the receipt from March 2021 and it shows a different IMEI. But there is no record of this “other” IMEI (the one I have) got into my T-Mobile account. They also have not been able to answer me: Assuming it was Warranty Exchange, why are you not able to unlock it? T-Mobile has the lock, just unlock it.

Actually, T-Mobile jist makes the request to Apple and then it is up to Apple to compete the SIM Unlock.  I don't know what sort of information is passed on to Apple to process the SIM Unlock but the IMEI would have to be a part of that.  The IMEI, which identifies the device uniquely, needs to meet the SIM Unlock requirements.  Because the device IMEI is different than the device you purchased, you might not meet the device requirements to have it unlocked. 

It makes me wonder if the device was originally registered to another account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes, but in order for T-Mobile to unlock it the IMEI has to be in the system.  Reflex devices carriers do not have the IMEI in the system.  This is why it’s a broken policy.  Apple has to GIVE the imei to carriers to let them know it’s “theirs” to unlock.  As long as a specific department in Apple doesn’t give the IMEI to carriers and with the way Apple processes unlocks carriers can’t unlock devices outside of their device database.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

IF the was a warranty exchange it may have been a refurbished Reseller Flex phone.  That means the device isn’t in T-Mobile system to unlock.  It’s one of Apple worst policies.

No carrier will put the IMEI in their system unless someone from the right channel tells a carrier it belongs to them.  This is to reduce fraud and theft.  https://swappa.com/faq/answer/us-reseller-flex-policy

Assuming it was warranty exchange (which was not). The lock says it’s locked by T-Mobile. I asked that question to 3 reps and supervisors, crickets, no answer. Why is it locked by T-Mobile and they are not able to unlock it. If it is a Flex phone and it locks with the first carrier it means the first carrier was T-Mobile, so T-Mobile has to unlock it. Please correct me if I did not understand your comment.

Do you have the receipt of the device.  IF you bought it from T-Mobile directly then you should have the receipt in you account history,

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Well just like gramps28 says. Another version told by Customer Care is that the IMEI I have right now is different from the one I “supposedly” bought in March 2021. That makes some of the Reps believe it was exchanged, but that never happened. In newer versions of iOS you can see if the phone was repaired or even if it has a none-genuine Apple part. None of that is there. This is a brand new phone I bought on a T-Mobile store. One of the Reps even sent me a copy of the receipt from March 2021 and it shows a different IMEI. But there is no record of this “other” IMEI (the one I have) got into my T-Mobile account. They also have not been able to answer me: Assuming it was Warranty Exchange, why are you not able to unlock it? T-Mobile has the lock, just unlock it.

Actually, T-Mobile jist makes the request to Apple and then it is up to Apple to compete the SIM Unlock.  I don't know what sort of information is passed on to Apple to process the SIM Unlock but the IMEI would have to be a part of that.  The IMEI, which identifies the device uniquely, needs to meet the SIM Unlock requirements.  Because the device IMEI is different than the device you purchased, you might not meet the device requirements to have it unlocked. 

It makes me wonder if the device was originally registered to another account.

I called Apple, Apple said that if the lock was put by T-Mobile, T-Mobile should unlock it. They have no control over carrier locks. Replying to your last question, the original IMEI shows up in the account as a “previous” phone. But I never had “that” phone. I have only had this one. One of the reps told me the switch from the one in the receipt and the one I have right now was done in October 2021. But again, no exchanges have happened.

Apple lied!  T-Mobile has no way to SIM lock a device.  T-Mobile makes the SIM lock request to Apple and Apple then can process the SIM Unlock.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

No. But that is one of many reasons some of the Reps have told me. That it looks like the original phone was exchanged for the one I have right now. Which is not the case. The phone I have was the same I bought almost 2 years ago. Also, warranty exchange would be also logged in the account right? None of that is there.

Warranty exchanges done through Apple won't show in Tmobile's system since they didn't sell it.

Have you ran your imei# through an imei check like swappa to see what the results are? You can also run it through the Tmobile byod imei check.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

T Force is a higher tier of support that you can message them on Tmobile's Facebook or Twitter page. They're good at fixing issues like this.

According to Tmobile's unlock requirements once the phone meets the requirements the phone will automatically be unlocked and a text will be sent letting you know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

One “out of box” suggestion. If you are looking to unlock so you can sell your iPhone, you can see what a trade in at TMO (trade in for upgrade) or Apple (gift card) will get you. Neither care if you phone is locked for trade in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I just ran both IMEI by Swappa and all good. T-Mobile on the other hand, is giving me a warning note on the “ghost replaced” one (the one showing up in the purchase receipt in March 2021) saying the following: “We can’t confirm that this device is unblocked. Please contact the original wireless carrier for information about the device’s status.”

“contact the original wireless carrier” lol, that’s the one I “supposedly” bought in their store based on the receipt.

It sounds like someone swapped your phone out without you knowing but I'm sure that's highly unlikely.

Try TForce

Badge

TForce and HeavenM just got back to me confirming my phone was unlocked yesterday but it still shows as locked in Settings. I will be performing the steps they provided for a reset and using a different carrier SIM card and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

I have been getting the same as you. 
Tmobile lies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

TForce and HeavenM just got back to me confirming my phone was unlocked yesterday but it still shows as locked in Settings. I will be performing the steps they provided for a reset and using a different carrier SIM card and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Tmobile lies

and yet kasave hasnt returned back to tell everyone how much they lied to him from 3 months ago...so either they gave up or their issue was resolved.

Userlevel 1
Badge

One “out of box” suggestion. If you are looking to unlock so you can sell your iPhone, you can see what a trade in at TMO (trade in for upgrade) or Apple (gift card) will get you. Neither care if you phone is locked for trade in.

Not looking to upgrade.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Try TForce

Highly unlikely, I do not know a person in my entire circle of family, friends or neighbors that would be capable of grab my phone, change the SIM, change the case, remove the “old” phone from my apple id account and add the apple id to the new one. They would even have to know my passwords. I’m the tech guy in the pack.

Tried TForce, not replying, they’ve asked me to authenticate like 4 times already and nobody reaches out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Try TForce

I have seen the odd s am years ago with another carrier where a person purchases a phone, returns it within the buyers remorse period, and has actually swapped out the device, making it look like it was never removed from the box.  I don't know if this is the case here but that is why I think T-Mobile should at least blacklist the device this person doesn't have and check to see if that IMEI of the missing device shows up on another account.  

This is what I think happened. I have the box right here and it has that old IMEI different from the one I have in my phone. T-Mobile store put a used phone a new box and sold it to me. How wonderful is that.

T Force is a higher tier of support that you can message them on Tmobile's Facebook or Twitter page. They're good at fixing issues like this.

According to Tmobile's unlock requirements once the phone meets the requirements the phone will automatically be unlocked and a text will be sent letting you know.

Will the device unlock app  and the Settings/Connection/More Connection settings/Network Unlock disappear?

I bought my Samsung S9+  from Sprint, it has been paid off since before Sprint  and Tmobile merged.  They sent me a new sim (I don’t think I kept the Sprint SIM) I’m now thinking of switching and  I know I’m eligible for unlock,  but the Device unlock app gives me a connection server error and  the Network unlock option isn’t even under connection settings. I spent 45 min on the phone Sunday with customer support AND a Tech expert named Gilbert.. Gilbert couldn’t figure out the issue but said he’d get back to me. He did get back to me yesterday, but all he could do was suggest I try wiping the cache partition. I did this after doing a backup. NO help (the instructions they have on their page for wiping an Samsung  are NOT correct)..I  found out how to do it via youtube.  Gilbert is supposed to call back again today. If he suggests a factory reset, I’m going to be p*ssed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Tmobile lies

Hey @Cybercrime Unlocking devices has historically been a pain in the neck so many changes have been made to try and make the process easier. I would love to help in any way that I can, but we don’t have access to account details. I need a bit more information about your situation specifically, so we can work together to figure something out. 

1. What is the make and model of the phone you are trying to unlock?
  2. Where and when did you purchase the phone?
  3. Did you have it active on your account for even one day or did you buy it to use on another person’s account?
  4. What steps have you taken specifically to unlock your phone? Did you go to the unlock app, settings on the phone, called to make the request?

The answers to these questions will help us fully understand where you are in your unlock journey and what next steps are needed. 

Thanks for sharing 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

results?

Userlevel 1
Badge

No. But that is one of many reasons some of the Reps have told me. That it looks like the original phone was exchanged for the one I have right now. Which is not the case. The phone I have was the same I bought almost 2 years ago. Also, warranty exchange would be also logged in the account right? None of that is there.