Question

T-Mobile's international travel plans vs eSims

• 17 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

eSims have gained in popularity. Our T-mobile plan includes free data while traveling in Europe (we’re U.S. based) but 25 cents a minute for phone calls is expensive. Does T-Mobile have some other International plan for phone calls and how does that compare to our getting a local eSim carrier?

3 replies

Badge

Actually, T-mobile’s international data pass seems competitive with other eSims. They said it’s $50 for 30 days. An eSim data & phone account from a reputable European-based firm was $54 for 20 days. Thirty days is more than I need but I’d get to use my same phone number. Am I missing something? I assume the data speeds are the same with each plan because they rely on the same local networks, yes?

I will be traveling to Canada from the US on a cruise this week. We will not be purchasing the on board internet service. Do I need an international plan for the Canada ports we will be visiting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I will be traveling to Canada from the US on a cruise this week. We will not be purchasing the on board internet service. Do I need an international plan for the Canada ports we will be visiting?

Using cellular on a cruise ship will cost $6+ a minute and $1+ per text message.  Cruise ships use their own micro towers that connect to satellites to provide service.  You do not want to use your device in cellular mode on or within a couple of miles of a cruise ship!