Question

WIFI Calling Preferences Being Forced to Cellular Preferred

• 10 October 2020
  • 83 replies

Show first post

83 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

as of the one UI 3.0 / android 11 update, there is now a solution for this that seems to work 100% of the time via tasker without any further interaction from the user. one profile and one task and it will keep you on wifi preferred...i've had this running for over a week now and it has worked perfectly.

https://www.grecobon.com/2021/01/unlocked-galaxy-s20-wifi-calling-issues/

tldr - since the android 11 update, there's now a custom system setting that controls this that we can monitor and change via tasker. the custom setting you're looking for is wifi_calling_preferred1. create a tasker profile that will automatically set it back to wifi preferred as soon as it changes to cellular preferred. my tasker profile and action are at the link above, as well as on taskernet (link in the blog post).

Nice.  I am bookmarking your site for when the Galaxy S10+ gets the Android 11 update.  My wife will be very happy for this issue to be fixed.

a quick update: in the few weeks i’ve been using this fix, i have since seen the notification come back up again from time to time, but it seems the fix does still hold. you can just disregard the notification (or silence it if you’d rather do that), tasker will still handle making the switch for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The issue appears to be: how can you advertise a feature that clearly does not work? The old “truth in advertising” problem. I think that correcting this issue should be a technical priority for T-Mobile.

IT looks like this has been fixed.  The latest update for My S21 leaves WiFi preferred, locked in. 

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the TMO site is peer to peer with a couple employees keeping things under control in here..if you need an agents assistance you have to go through either FB or Twitter

Userlevel 1
Badge

I agree that it is likely some TMo bloat/firmware that is doing this since the VZW phone I was using didn’t have the problem.

Yes, I knew that they were likely just trying to get rid of me.  Since I’m retired I can take the time to go to Level 2/Manager support.  That is a task for this week now that I’ve done my research.

In the mean time I’m trying the Tasker hack that is supposed to automatically turn wi-fi preferred on if anything turns it off.  I don’t know yet if that is going to help, but it is worth a try. 

Samsung support said that this isn’t their problem since all wi-fi calling features are carrier specific.  I had to try.

I don’t know if there is a root for the S22 yet.  Even if there is I probably won’t do it yet since with a new model there is often a flurry of stock firmware updates for the first few months.  I’ve read that there is one coming.

@crackers8199 Just tried your fix and it worked! It’s been years since I’ve used Tasker, never thought I’d need it again but here we are :) I see the UI is still as bad as ever...