Your Experience With Home Internet So Far

• 19 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Following is my experience so far.  I am curious what yours has been?

I've been in I.T. for a few decades, and for the past 13 years I've had the T-Mobile phone service across multiple states and think it is great.  I've never had a billing issue with this company, unlike others.  And that is saying a lot.  As for the home internet offering, I recently tried it and here are my findings.

Good points...
• Replacing AT&T copper U-Verse I gained about 9x the out-bound bandwidth while losing about 1/3rd the download.
• Latency was slightly higher but still really good / good enough that if I were playing 3d shooters I wouldn’t complain much.  Dropped packets were better vs AT&T.
• The cost was only $30/mo., which cuts AT&T by more than half.

Bad points...
• WiFi fails about once per week while wired connections continue to work fine.  You can get around this by placing a cheap WiFi router behind the gateway.  The only obstacle is the gateway won't allow you to disable all WiFi.  Extra signals aside, it will still work.  Alternatively, you can power cycle the device to correct this problem.
• WiFi issues aside, you can expect a one minute outage across both wired and wireless devices roughly eleven times per week.  The times will vary, and many won’t interfere with your work day.

The second support rep I spoke with told me a VPN client can cause this.  So I disconnected my three VPN clients for a week and recorded subsequently observed events.  The issue persisted at about the same rate.  I doubt any complaint will reach the desk of anyone who might make a difference.  But I wish you luck.

Final Opinion...
It's actually not a bad offering based on 2023 standards.  I think it still beats AT&T overall.  And I’m pleased with it.

I hope this helps others make their decisions.  Have a great day!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

https://community.t-mobile.com/plans-and-services-36

ask in there.