Solved

2.4 ghz not showing

• 5 September 2023
  • 14 replies

Badge

I've had Tmobile Internet for about 7 months now. I did not have this problem until yesterday. I moved my router to a new location to see if I could connect to devices in the basement - didn't work, so I moved the router back to its original spot. 

However, once I made the move my 2.4 network is no longer showing as an option to connect. Not on my android or any device. I have a 5 and 2.4 set up with different SSID Names. I need to have my phone connect to the 2.4 so I can reinstall my Wyze Cams that came disconnected after moving my router.

I've seemingly tried everything - restarting phone, restarting router, resetting networks, power on, power off, even called Tmobile and was told they have to call me back Friday!! 

Any help would be appreciated 

icon

Best answer by sss444 5 September 2023, 12:57

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Have you tried using a “WiFi Analyzer” to see if the router is actually broadcasting a 2.4 Ghz signal? Maybe that will give you a clue.  But it may be that the 2.4 Ghz radio in your router has gone south.

Badge
  1. Check router settings to ensure both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks are active.
  2. Ensure the 2.4 GHz network SSID is visible (not hidden).
  3. Confirm your device supports the 2.4 GHz network.
  4. Try forgetting and reconnecting to the 2.4 GHz network on your devices.
  5. If all else fails, contact your internet service provider for assistance.
Badge
  1. Check router settings to ensure both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks are active.
  2. Ensure the 2.4 GHz network SSID is visible (not hidden).
  3. Confirm your device supports the 2.4 GHz network.
  4. Try forgetting and reconnecting to the 2.4 GHz network on your devices.
  5. If all else fails, contact your internet service provider for assistance.
  6. https://www.creativesolutionservices.com/web-development.php

Thursday night / Friday morning T-Mobile did some kind of firmware push to my 5g home router and it knocked out everything 2.4 gig on my network. Office equipment and VOiP devices are all not working because they require 2.4g. T-Mobile, please correct what was broke. I hate the cable company. But, it looks like it’s back to them after the next day or two if nothing improves.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Just add a second network, configured to 2.4 GHz only.  Try WPA2/WPA3. If your devices can’t connect to this, reduce the security to WPA/WPA2. 

Already did all of that. The TMobile router will no longer advertise anything 2.4G. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Have you unplugged the gateway for 30 seconds?  The next step would be to reset the gateway and re-configure your networks.  And finally, to call support.  🫰

I was able to remove Thursday night’s fw push and the router resumed normal operations. Called ATT to have them provide internet. I cannot afford any service interruption again. That would end my career. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having this same issue.   2.4 does not work.

I have created a new 2.4 network and no device can see it, period 

How did you uninstall the firmware updates?

Me too, same time, so must be a firmware issue.

How do you rollback a firmware update?

Badge

Similar story here.

A recent update (5G Gateway G4AR-1, now firmware v 1.00.09) broke 2.4Gz networks on my router.

They are no longer advertised, no matter what I do (rebooting, etc.).

No device can see it any longer.

Does anyone from T-Mobile look at these forums?

Me too, same time, so must be a firmware issue.

How do you rollback a firmware update?

FWIW:A day later and a 2.4 ghz signal is still not being advertised (after reboot, etc).  I could not find a direct solution, I didn’t have the time to phone in (and shouldn’t have to), but I did have a spare router. So I set up the spare router as an access point, for wifi only (Obviously, I shouldn’t have to do this (but judging from other posts on this forum over the years, this issue keep re-occuring with different firmware updates))..

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It seems that the April 2024 firmware update disabled the 2.4 GHz band.  I was not aware of this when I made my earlier posts in this thread.

This forum member resolved the problem with a gateway reset:

5G Gateway G4AR-1, firmware v1.00.09 - 2.4Ghz networks no longer working | T-Mobile Community

Userlevel 2
Badge

I contacted TMobile and did a factory reset of the modem and re-installed everything.  So far, so good.

But I do not understand it, and I do not understand if this will happen again.  it was a complete pain the bottom to do this

Also, one other thing when it came back up after re-set everything was trying to set to WPA3 for security.  A lot of devices can’t work with WPA3, so set it to WPA2 and it works fine.