Question

Home Internet Gaming Problem

• 21 September 2022
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Userlevel 2

Just got off the phone with them, rep didn't really understand what the issue was after explaining "the internet is fine it just can't stay connected to games", and they said it's related to outages in the area to upgrade the service. So basically they have no clue, because I doubt it's been an "outage" since the beginning of December.

Can't understand why they just haven't rolled back the update lol

Userlevel 1

I just spoke to a representative who said that the gamers at T-Mobile are using a Nighthawk router and switching to a Cat6 Ethernet cable but that didn’t work for us. He said there is no fix coming for the static IP to keep it open tech is asking management to ask people in the stores if they are gamers. It sounds like the $50 home internet is not going to be a good option. So bummed. I hate Cox Cable.

Userlevel 2

"no fix coming" is kind of ridiculous, considering it was fine a month or so ago. Honestly their internet was the only thing really keeping me with the company so if they aren't gonna fix it, I'm just gonna switch. 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem, started happening within the last couple of months. For me it happens the most in Team Fortress 2, now starting in Halo Infinite (though might have always been happening there just don’t play it as much)

I haven’t noticed it happening regularly in other games. 

Using the Nokia Gray Trashcan, firmware 1.2201.00.0324

Userlevel 1

I’ve also been having the same problem since mid-December. Doesn’t matter the server or the game, I’m kicked within five minutes. I’ve tried downgrading from 5G to LTE, I’ve taken my laptop with my mobile hotspot to different locations in order to connect to a different tower with better signal, nothing helps. I even went so far as to buy a new mobile hotspot. The responses I’m getting from customer service border on gaslighting.

I was able to play games just fine for six months on Tmobile’s 5G, even with a not-so-great signal, and for five years before that on Sprint with one iffy bar of LTE. Now they’re trying to tell me that my issue is simply because of a weak signal or network congestion. It’s gratifying to see so many others with the same issue.

It’s maddening. I would really love to be able to stay with Tmobile. Until this I’ve been overwhelmingly happy with the service, it’s been a game changer in my rural area, and recommended it to many others. But if this isn’t resolved soon, if they can’t even be upfront about the existence of an issue, I might have to jump ship.   

Userlevel 2

I’ve also been having the same problem since mid-December. Doesn’t matter the server or the game, I’m kicked within five minutes. I’ve tried downgrading from 5G to LTE, I’ve taken my laptop with my mobile hotspot to different locations in order to connect to a different tower with better signal, nothing helps. I even went so far as to buy a new mobile hotspot. The responses I’m getting from customer service border on gaslighting.

I was able to play games just fine for six months on Tmobile’s 5G, even with a not-so-great signal, and for five years before that on Sprint with one iffy bar of LTE. Now they’re trying to tell me that my issue is simply because of a weak signal or network congestion. It’s gratifying to see so many others with the same issue.

It’s maddening. I would really love to be able to stay with Tmobile. Until this I’ve been overwhelmingly happy with the service, it’s been a game changer in my rural area, and recommended it to many others. But if this isn’t resolved soon, if they can’t even be upfront about the existence of an issue, I might have to jump ship.   

Absolutely agree, service was incredible the last six months, and we can't really get service where I live, but after talking with them, they have NO clue what I'm even talking about, chalking it up to an outage is really annoying.

Strongly considering just taking the loss and switching service to whatever's local instead of paying for what I can't even use. 

If they realized they made a mistake offering too much bandwidth for the price, I wouldn't care if they had different tiers and prices lmao, I just wanna not get disconnected.

Is anyone experiencing their internet cutting 9ut? This be the 3rd time I had to unplug the router

Userlevel 1

Is anyone experiencing their internet cutting 9ut? This be the 3rd time I had to unplug the router

My internet actually works fine and I have it hooked up to a quite a few things, but T-Mobile is not compatible with my MyQ garage door opener so I can’t use it and my son can’t play multiplayer games with his friends. He gets kicked out of the games. It used to be occasional until December when it became constant. We have really good service otherwise which makes it so disappointing to have to go back to Cox internet. There is not much else available in my part of Vegas.

Userlevel 1

This particular thread/forum isn’t about general disconnects - which do happen - but rather very specific issues of being dropped while playing games or other applications. Unfortunately this last Friday and today I’ve noticed it’s started making my work laptop lose connection to my softphone service (Cisco Jabber) which previously had no issues - this is while connecting through a VPN that seems to not have any issues, but I’m also noticing my PC saying it doesn’t have a connection briefly at the same time (Even though I am hardwired in directly to the gateway)

Also, Vermintide 2 I can now safely add to the list of affected games. 

Overall the service is stable, speeds good, videos no problem, etc. It’s just the very specific dropping of certain connection types which *didn’t happen before* - I even did a deep factory reset of my Gateway yesterday and I’m not sure it did anything. 

Userlevel 1

This particular thread/forum isn’t about general disconnects - which do happen - but rather very specific issues of being dropped while playing games or other applications. Unfortunately this last Friday and today I’ve noticed it’s started making my work laptop lose connection to my softphone service (Cisco Jabber) which previously had no issues - this is while connecting through a VPN that seems to not have any issues, but I’m also noticing my PC saying it doesn’t have a connection briefly at the same time (Even though I am hardwired in directly to the gateway)

Overall the service is stable, speeds good, videos no problem, etc. It’s just the very specific dropping of certain connection types which *didn’t happen before* - I even did a deep factory reset of my Gateway yesterday and I’m not sure it did anything. 

Same for me, today my work VPN keeps dropping and yet speeds stay fine.  I’ve had to reboot 3 times, after a reboot the VPN stays stable for 40 minutes to an hour then starts flaking out.  Like you said, this is new behavior that started mid december for me.

Userlevel 1

Interesting. I work from home through a VPN and am getting booted several times a day. I didn’t consider it being on my end and another component to the gaming and MyQ issues. I kept asking my coworkers to restart my computer. Sigh.

Userlevel 1

Same for me, today my work VPN keeps dropping and yet speeds stay fine.  I’ve had to reboot 3 times, after a reboot the VPN stays stable for 40 minutes to an hour then starts flaking out.  Like you said, this is new behavior that started mid december for me.

Interesting. I work from home through a VPN and am getting booted several times a day. I didn’t consider it being on my end and another component to the gaming and MyQ issues. I kept asking my coworkers to restart my computer. Sigh.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one - the most annoying part about this problem is it’s wildly inconsistent - I’m an IT guy and I can troubleshoot and deep dive into these things, but because I can’t really do anything with what is probably the cause (my trash can) all I can do is maybe apply some workarounds. I connected my Nighthawk R5700v2 that I had before I switched over to TMHI last year december and after putting it into bridge mode and connecting my devices to the router, my work laptop issues stopped - however I’m not sure if it affected my gaming stuff, as I did time out once playing TF2 within 1-2 minutes, but then ran another session and went 20-30 without a problem.

Is it caused by a certain tower/connection type? Congestion? I just can’t tell. Rebooting the gateway would sometimes have no effect. Games work for a bit then fail, which means it’s not just “it doesn’t work”, it does until something specific happens then I time out. It’s not just old games either that might have poorly designed/outdated protocol network settings. 

I’ve seen lots of old posts that say “TMHI is not for gaming” and yes, there might be a bit more latency, but that’s worth $30 or whatever the difference was for me and using Xfinity, and I don’t use consoles which were mostly the main culprit; since I started just over a year ago, I didn’t have any *disconnects* and things just failing until the last 2-1.5 months. This is new and frustrating - and along with this I think my area has gotten MORE 5G ultra coverage around me too.

Userlevel 1

Also another note - I’ve never checked this before but on your PC if you have the Xbox companion console app, you can go to settings > Network and it will display your NAT settings - for me it’s strict. 

Userlevel 1

I have the trashcan connected to an OPNSense Firewall and everything else on my network is behind the firewall.  I have tried connecting my PC directly to the trashcan and regardless of how I connect, I have issues with random dropping in games.  I’ve been on TMHI since it rolled out and it’s been solid, so I’m curious what changed in the last month or so and why they haven’t identified it.

Userlevel 2

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one - the most annoying part about this problem is it’s wildly inconsistent - I’m an IT guy and I can troubleshoot and deep dive into these things, but because I can’t really do anything with what is probably the cause (my trash can) all I can do is maybe apply some workarounds. I connected my Nighthawk R5700v2 that I had before I switched over to TMHI last year december and after putting it into bridge mode and connecting my devices to the router, my work laptop issues stopped - however I’m not sure if it affected my gaming stuff, as I did time out once playing TF2 within 1-2 minutes, but then ran another session and went 20-30 without a problem.

Is it caused by a certain tower/connection type? Congestion? I just can’t tell. Rebooting the gateway would sometimes have no effect. Games work for a bit then fail, which means it’s not just “it doesn’t work”, it does until something specific happens then I time out. It’s not just old games either that might have poorly designed/outdated protocol network settings. 

I’ve seen lots of old posts that say “TMHI is not for gaming” and yes, there might be a bit more latency, but that’s worth $30 or whatever the difference was for me and using Xfinity, and I don’t use consoles which were mostly the main culprit; since I started just over a year ago, I didn’t have any *disconnects* and things just failing until the last 2-1.5 months. This is new and frustrating - and along with this I think my area has gotten MORE 5G ultra coverage around me too.

Yeah, and it's not like the internet itself is disconnecting, either. Everything else is working perfectly fine. It's like they're specifically filtering the traffic used by certain ports. 

Did they just underestimate how many users they would have with an unlimited data plan? If they came right out and said it, I would pay more, I just want to be able to use what I'm paying for.

Userlevel 1

The rep told me the reason it’s happening is these games require a static IP address and T-Mobile does not allow that for security and it will not be changing. But again, prior to December we didn’t have many issues.

Userlevel 1

Yeah, and it's not like the internet itself is disconnecting, either. Everything else is working perfectly fine. It's like they're specifically filtering the traffic used by certain ports. 

Did they just underestimate how many users they would have with an unlimited data plan? If they came right out and said it, I would pay more, I just want to be able to use what I'm paying for.

It doesn’t seem like congestion to me. Gaming, relatively wise, takes up very little bandwidth, (unless you count downloading CoD Warzone as “gaming” but hey I don’t do that lol). They’d want to look at streaming services to cut down bandwidth...I’d hope they would know this. 

Userlevel 1

The rep told me the reason it’s happening is these games require a static IP address and T-Mobile does not allow that for security and it will not be changing. But again, prior to December we didn’t have many issues.

lol what a joke...

Userlevel 2

It doesn’t seem like congestion to me. Gaming, relatively wise, takes up very little bandwidth, (unless you count downloading CoD Warzone as “gaming” but hey I don’t do that lol). They’d want to look at streaming services to cut down bandwidth...I’d hope they would know this. 

Yeah, when it comes to downloading games it works amazing, just any kind of game needing a connection like CSGO it drops within minutes. Had a decent few hours without any issues earlier today, but Quake Champions couldn't hold for longer than a minute.

Userlevel 1

Just now - joined a Halo Infinite public game - disconnected almost immediately. Waited two minutes, joined again, then had no issues. Game after that, disconnected immediately.  It just doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s because something on the backend is changing IP at certain points and certain games don’t like it? 

​​​​I talked with a T-mobile rep and they are aware of this issue but are still trying I troubleshooting. Related to a firmware update they pushed out to the routers. Much of the problem he thinks is traceable to how the Dynamic IP behaves that various gaming consoles and websites don't like. The tech agreed that much of the problem might be solved if T-Mobile gave consumers Static IP options (available only to Businesses right now). Fingers crossed that they'll get a fix out soon because everything else with T-mobile internet has been great for us!

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my T-Mobile home internet. While this is probably true, I have also tried playing off my cellphone hotspot and I experience the exact same random disconnects. 350 down and 30 up isn’t worth a $1 if it’s gonna disconnect every minute. Several friends and I going back to cable internet because of this one issue. It’s a complete deal breaker.

Everyone I know that is having this issue have the older grey cylinder modems. I’m guessing this is happening with all models, but just to confirm does anyone have one of the newer model towers, and are you also experiencing these issues? 

I am also having this issue but I have one of the newer black cube kvd21 boxes. Wish they would roll back that last update soon because this is a deal breaker for me and my kids.

Userlevel 1

​​​​I talked with a T-mobile rep and they are aware of this issue but are still trying I troubleshooting. Related to a firmware update they pushed out to the routers. Much of the problem he thinks is traceable to how the Dynamic IP behaves that various gaming consoles and websites don't like. The tech agreed that much of the problem might be solved if T-Mobile gave consumers Static IP options (available only to Businesses right now). Fingers crossed that they'll get a fix out soon because everything else with T-mobile internet has been great for us!

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my T-Mobile home internet. While this is probably true, I have also tried playing off my cellphone hotspot and I experience the exact same random disconnects. 350 down and 30 up isn’t worth a $1 if it’s gonna disconnect every minute. Several friends and I going back to cable internet because of this one issue. It’s a complete deal breaker.

Everyone I know that is having this issue have the older grey cylinder modems. I’m guessing this is happening with all models, but just to confirm does anyone have one of the newer model towers, and are you also experiencing these issues? 

I am also having this issue but I have one of the newer black cube kvd21 boxes. Wish they would roll back that last update soon because this is a deal breaker for me and my kids.

If they are working on it that’s good news. I’ve seen posts around the internet that people had problems like this for a few weeks then it stopped, maybe it’s related to work they are doing. If it was firmware related, I got the latest for the 5G21 back in September, and unless it was just slowly getting worse over the weeks, what I am experiencing now is nothing like back then.

Does anyone with a Gray can recall getting issues back in September when the latest firmware dropped?

Badge

What T-Mobile told me, the only work around thus far is to use a VPN to solve the online gaming.  Not sure if this will fix the Nat Type.  Anyone use a different service?  I am able to return mine.

I’m having the same issue on Oculus Quest. I’m able to play online games for about 60 seconds then it kicks me out. Also tried connecting through a router that is connected to the TMobile modem and still didn’t work. 

Went over to a friends house to try just to verify it wasn’t my headset and it works fine. 

Very frustrating, I’ll probably have to drop T-Mobile. Good price but not worth it if I can’t use it. 

Same here.  Friend fired up AT&T hotspot and now Quest works fine.  It’s false advertising that it supports gaming. Neither PS4 nor Quest work over TMHI unless conditions are perfect.  Sick and tired of losing matches and money because of TMHI

I recently started test driving T-Mobile home internet at my house, and it's worked great for everything except games, where I'm having a weird issue with some of them. When I try to play Apex Legends on PC, the game will connect and play really smooth for anywhere from 1-3 minutes, and then all communication will be lost, which will take 20 seconds for the game to kick me out to the main menu. If I go back into the game from the main menu, it'll work fine untill the 1-3 minutes elapses.

During all of this my PC never loses connection, and this issue occurs over wifi and ethernet. This issue probably does not lie with the game as this issue does not occur with other ISPs, and it did not coincide with an update.

A similar issue is happening with Splatoon 3 on the Nintendo Switch, where the game will play superb for 30 seconds to 2 minutes before dropping the connection. 

Is this a known issue with the service or gateway, is there anyway I can debug my connection, and does anyone know anyway that could possibly remedy the situation? I'd love to keep the home internet, but one of the main things I use the internet for is games, meaning this service wouldn't work for me.

Same with me I keep going all over YouTube trying to figure out if it is my problem on my Xbox trying to figure it out and I realize that it’s was my Wi-Fi router from whenever I switch from xinfinity to T-Mobile 5g router and been really annoying and it literally would be amazing if T-Mobile could fix this cuz I’m kinda stuck with them for now