Question

HP Printer Wireless Set up Issue

Show first post

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No, 2.4 and 5 GHZ are combined since that was the default. I could try doing this but think one of the people that was having same issue as me replied that they already tried splitting them up into separate SSIDs and it didn’t work for them.  But I will give that a try today. 

Thanks!

Just splitting the SSID is just one part. You have to make sure your PC that is being used to setup the printer is on the same 2.4 GHz SSID.

Badge

No, 2.4 and 5 GHZ are combined since that was the default. I could try doing this but think one of the people that was having same issue as me replied that they already tried splitting them up into separate SSIDs and it didn’t work for them.  But I will give that a try today. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thanks all for replying on this. When I did the initial networking configuration setup way back when I first got the printer, I just followed the instructions on the HP CD to set up the wireless and don’t recall ever specifying a static IP vs DHCP.  Assume it would be defaulted to use DHCP. But over the last couple of days, I re-installed the printer set up from that same CD along with trying to set up the Wireless connectivity and don’t see any static IP vs DHCP configuration selection.  It just fails on that last step after selecting my SSID and password. So since I am not very networking savy, can you guys tell me how I could find out if my printer is using a static IP vs using DHCP? Assume this is something I should be able to see from my computer as long as it is connected to the printer using the USB since that is the only way to connect currently? On my printer, there aren’t many Wireless options to look at from the console.

Thanks again for your replies!

Do you have your 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz on separate SSID? I am assuming your HP Printer only works on 2.4. Try again with different SSID for 2.4 Ghz and make sure both PC and printer are on the same 2.4 GHz SSID.

Badge

Thanks all for replying on this. When I did the initial networking configuration setup way back when I first got the printer, I just followed the instructions on the HP CD to set up the wireless and don’t recall ever specifying a static IP vs DHCP.  Assume it would be defaulted to use DHCP. But over the last couple of days, I re-installed the printer set up from that same CD along with trying to set up the Wireless connectivity and don’t see any static IP vs DHCP configuration selection.  It just fails on that last step after selecting my SSID and password. So since I am not very networking savy, can you guys tell me how I could find out if my printer is using a static IP vs using DHCP? Assume this is something I should be able to see from my computer as long as it is connected to the printer using the USB since that is the only way to connect currently? On my printer, there aren’t many Wireless options to look at from the console.

Thanks again for your replies!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with Cali Cat the message is probably just not exactly what is going on. The printer is pretty old but it was working on your prior network device. It could be you hard set the IP address on the printer previously so be sure to check the actual IP address the printer is trying to use. If it has a static IP address change the IP address to DHCP so it obtains an IP address from the T-Mobile gateway. It could be the printer logic with the IP address on an incorrect network subnet will report that error though it is not the proper message to report. I could see from the user setup info that it will need WPA so it is too old for WPA2 or WPA3 authentication. It would also probably only work with 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz frequencies so just make sure the 2.4 GHz also has WPA for authentication. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi iTinkeralot,

So the only thing that changed in my setup is that I now have the 5g home internet wifi device instead of using internet through cable company.  So my wireless printer has been working this whole time from when I originally set it up so it is not like any ports would have been blocked or firewall rules would be causing issues since then the wireless printing would have never worked to begin with, correct?

My OS is Windows 10 and I did disable my Windows Defender Firewall security temporarily and tried configuring wireless printing again and get the same error that has to do with MAC address filtering and disabling that on my router. When I have the printer plugged into USB, it is showing as IDLE, and when I unplug it from USB, it shows as OFFLINE. At least I can print when I am connected to USB for now.  It may be that the printer is pretty old?  I am planning on getting another printer in the near future anyway so hoping that a newer one I won’t have this issue.

Any other suggestions on the MAC address filtering and how I can possibly disable that temporarily?

Thanks!

There is no way of your printer to know whether it is being filtered or not so the error message is just a guess or generic message. If your printer is setup for a static IP that was working on your previous WIFI network, then it will not connect on your TMO WIFI since it defaults to a subnet that is most likely different than what you had before. If this is the case, I would contact HP and ask how to set your IP back to auto.

When your printer is connected to your PC via USB, it is no longer a networked device so that is why it works the way it does.

Badge

Hi iTinkeralot,

So the only thing that changed in my setup is that I now have the 5g home internet wifi device instead of using internet through cable company.  So my wireless printer has been working this whole time from when I originally set it up so it is not like any ports would have been blocked or firewall rules would be causing issues since then the wireless printing would have never worked to begin with, correct?

My OS is Windows 10 and I did disable my Windows Defender Firewall security temporarily and tried configuring wireless printing again and get the same error that has to do with MAC address filtering and disabling that on my router. When I have the printer plugged into USB, it is showing as IDLE, and when I unplug it from USB, it shows as OFFLINE. At least I can print when I am connected to USB for now.  It may be that the printer is pretty old?  I am planning on getting another printer in the near future anyway so hoping that a newer one I won’t have this issue.

Any other suggestions on the MAC address filtering and how I can possibly disable that temporarily?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I would check your HP Printer to see if it is set to a static IP address. If that is the case, you cannot connect with a new wifi router that is defaulted to a different subnet. Check the HP help to see how the setting can be viewed and changed back to auto.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi unclejoe00, I am not sure what OS you are running but I would check the firewall settings. It may be a firewall setting. I found the information below from a quick search on the printer. If you can disable the firewall as a test that is the first test I would make. If you remove it from the USB and have the printer showing it is connected to the WIFI LAN confirm what the printer IP address is and see if you can ping the printer. If you can then I would go to the firewall settings on the client right off and confirm those.

“The following ports are also used by your HP product and might need to be opened on your firewall configuration. Incoming ports (UDP) are destination ports on the computer while outgoing ports (TCP) are destination ports on the HP product.”

Per HP Information: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516369.pdf

• Incoming (UDP) ports: 137, 138, 161, 427
• Outgoing (TCP) ports: 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

The ports are used for the following functions:

Printing
• UDP ports: 427, 137, 161
• TCP port: 9100

Photo card upload
• UDP ports: 137, 138, 427
• TCP port: 139

Scanning
• UDP port: 427
• TCP ports: 9220, 9500

Product status
UDP port: 161

Faxing
• UDP port: 427
• TCP port: 9220

Product installation
UDP port: 427

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I have my Brother Printer is connected through wifi. However, I cannot airprint from any of my Apple devices. Only PC and Surface can do arprint.

The following thread suggests gateway reboot / reset:

But what worked for me, was turning on IPv6 in the Brother configuration.

Unable to print - Apple AirPrint on a mobile device , step #8

AirPrint wouldn't work until I enabled IPv6 on my printer

I have my Brother Printer is connected through wifi. However, I cannot airprint from any of my Apple devices. Only PC and Surface can do arprint.

Badge

Having exact same issue with HP OfficeJet Pro 6830.  Complains about mac address filtering.  After seeing some other posts I tried splitting into 2.4G and 5G networks but that did not help at all.  So I set it back to combined network.  Any help would be appreciated.  Everything else seems to work great.