Solved

MyQ (Chamberlain) garage door and Gateway 5G router not compatible

• 12 January 2023
  • 31 replies

Badge

Is there a work-around to make the two devices compatible?

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 13 January 2023, 15:09

View original

31 replies

My Gateway was working fine until I started getting poor signal In certain rooms in my home. Tmobile advised I needed a warranty exchange.  I exchanged my Gateway for an updated one and now home security isn't working. A Tecnician from my home security company came to troubleshoot and he said Tmobile internet does not work with Vivint.  He said nobody has Tmobile internet.  I can't open and close my garage door or check my home security cameras on my smart phone or the panel.  Any advise for this non-tech savvy person?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@fitisit2012  If I understand correctly, your home security system was working with the first gateway.  So the technician should not have said “nobody has T-Mobile internet” or that Vivint doesn’t work with T-Mobile internet.  Do you remember if the first gateway had more than one Wi-Fi network? They come with one, but more can be added.  Many people have added a second network to handle garage door openers, printers, older computers, etc.  Your first gateway might have had that, and now your Vivint system can’t find it because it doesn’t exist (yet) on the replacement gateway.  Please read the instructions for creating a second network in my post which is the last one on Page 1.  Do you remember if you or someone else did that before?  Do you know the SSID (network name) and password that the system was using?  If you can remember, make a new network on the new gateway with the same SSID and password as before.  If you can’t remember, you should go through these steps -- but you will also need to connect the security system to the new network.  You may have to have the technician return.  You might need to show him the T-Mobile Internet (or T Life) app on your phone.  Avoid changing any settings for the first network which I am assuming is working for other devices in your home.

Now I am so confused. Tmobile should send a tech to do all this before I cancel the Tmobile internet service.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I’m sorry.  Unfortunately, I have never heard of a T-Mobile tech going to a home.  You might ask a tech-savvy neighbor or friend to help.

Just tell me, did it work before, with the first T-Mobile Home Internet gateway? 

No  it didn't work with the first or 2nd router and Vivint is telling me Tmobile internet doesn't work with Vivint home security.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think you could get it going with the second network with different security settings than the first network.  I understand that is more than you want to tackle by yourself.  Please ask a tech-savvy friend to help you; follow the instructions in my post on page 1 of this thread (the last post on page 1).  That is Step 1.  Then, Step 2 will be getting the home security and/or garage door opener connected.  I can’t help with that.

The alternative is to try another internet provider.  

Good luck.