Question

Home Internet - force firmware update?

• 9 January 2021
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

We received the new 5G modem for Home Internet and are on the older firmware version 1.2003.03.0143. 

Is there anyway to trigger the update?

I've heard the new update can greatly speed up the modem but don't know if that's true.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Contact tech support.  They should be able to push a firmware update to it for you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yesterday, I received and installed the new 5G gateway, 5G21-12W-A.

Where can I find the latest firmware version?

Would like to know if you were able to get tech support to push through an update. I called today and they told me that there is no update yet. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We received the new 5G modem for Home Internet and are on the older firmware version 1.2003.03.0143. 

I've heard the new update can greatly speed up the modem but don't know if that's true.

What do you think the latest firmware version is?

Current 5G modems being shipped with firmware version 1.2003.03.0168 .

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That’s noteworthy.

Can you take some screenshots of the web interface so we can compare and see what if anything has been updated?

I am still on 0143 myself.  A member, Stefan Knight, of the TMobile Home Internet FB group just received his 5G modem and posted his firmware version.  Here’s a link to the group in case you’re not familiar with them.  You may have to join to view the threads.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360887451937077

Factory reset the modem that should push the new update to it.

I got the new 6g modem today an it won't work because firmware needs updating i click update while I'm in the modem settings an it ask me for file to update it with . So mine will not work an call center is a joke 2hr waits never call back . It's a joke 

I'm afraid not just received my 3days ago

I just received mine today: 

I just received mine today: 

Was the firmware forced on the modem or did you download it somewhere? 
If 0168 is the latest I already have it. But would like to know for reference how they are doing things.

Still waiting for the next firmware update above .0168 so that it will resolve the issue with using VOIP services.  Customer Support has no release date 

Badge

Still waiting for the next firmware update above .0168 so that it will resolve the issue with using VOIP services.  Customer Support has no release date 

I have been told they would have it by Wednesday, April 27, 2021, but the information I have received from Customer Service has not proved to be reliable.  I bought the Line-Link for VOIP and it took me several phone calls before someone told me it would not connect to 5 G.

I have been unable to get into the settings on my Gateway - how do you know what firmware you have?

Well today isn't over yet, so there is still hope for the upgrade.  As for accessing your gateway, from a PC or MAC go to. 192.168.12.1.  You should see the overview page.  On the very right side is Software Version.  The current version is 1.2003.03.0168.  So we want to see a higher number  for the new version that gets released.   Otherwise you can use the Home Internet App on your phone and at the bottom (android version) click on MORE and then click on GATEWAY INFORMATION.  The FIRMWARE VERSION is the first thing listed. 

Badge

Thank you for the info - I see that now.  I have been trying to look at the system part of the gateway and it asks for a log-on.  I use “admin” and the password on the bottom of the gateway, but it won’t let me log in and doesn’t give an option for help.  

Should I be able to log into that?

Maybe you changed the password at some point?  You can do a reset by pressing the button on the back of the unit but then you would have to do any setup you have done previously again. Doing the login gives you the ability to change the ssid name and passwords , etc . 

Badge

Thanks for the info - very helpful.

I have been told they would have it by Wednesday, April 27, 2021, but the information I have received from Customer Service has not proved to be reliable.  I bought the Line-Link for VOIP and it took me several phone calls before someone told me it would not connect to 5 G.

I have been unable to get into the settings on my Gateway - how do you know what firmware you have?

I spoke to Customer Service a couple days ago, regarding the new upgraded gateway I finally received after 2+ months. It does connect to more wi-fi devices, however it does not work with voip phone service. Through a multitude of CSR calls regarding this gateway, I was not informed that it would not work with my voip service until after it was connected and found it would not send or receive calls. This is my business number so this is a huge problem. A lengthy conversation, resetting the router, did not help. I was told no voip service would work without a firmware update. Engineers are working on it, no projected timeline. Would have been nice to have been informed of this deficiency before connecting the new and sending back my old gateway. I may have to switch from T-mobil internet service and find another provider in order to have voip service for my business line.

I spoke to Customer Service a couple days ago, regarding the new upgraded gateway I finally received after 2+ months. It does connect to more wi-fi devices, however it does not work with voip phone service. Through a multitude of CSR calls regarding this gateway, I was not informed that it would not work with my voip service until after it was connected and found it would not send or receive calls. This is my business number so this is a huge problem. A lengthy conversation, resetting the router, did not help. I was told no voip service would work without a firmware update. Engineers are working on it, no projected timeline. Would have been nice to have been informed of this deficiency before connecting the new and sending back my old gateway. I may have to switch from T-mobile internet service and find another provider in order to have voip service for my business line. BTW, I have the version.0168.

Badge

Reboot or Factory Reset may work. Mine updated over night and now there is packet loss. I have no 5G so B66 is the only band I’m connected to but never have experienced packet loss till this update.

Badge

Reboot or Factory Reset may work. Mine updated over night and now there is packet loss. I have no 5G so B66 is the only band I’m connected to but never have experienced packet loss till this update.

@rangerrick337 : In your browser go to 192.168.12.1 to login to the modem/router. See if the System|Upgrade button will take you from 1.2003.03.0143 to 1.2003.03.0168

We’ve had ours since late Feb. It’s on 1.2003.03.0168, but I can’t remember if I did the manual update or if it happened after a reboot.

@wildchld : What utility are you using that shows jitter and packet loss?

Badge

@rangerrick337 : In your browser go to 192.168.12.1 to login to the modem/router. See if the System|Upgrade button will take you from 1.2003.03.0143 to 1.2003.03.0168

We’ve had ours since late Feb. It’s on 1.2003.03.0168, but I can’t remember if I did the manual update or if it happened after a reboot.

@wildchld : What utility are you using that shows jitter and packet loss?

I started getting the packet loss when I got .0178 never was on .0168.

That’s a Speedtest from inside my Asus router…

Badge

@wildchld Hmmm - interesting. When I got the T-Mobile/Nokia device I was told by TM tech that the LAN/WAN ports were not active. Are you using ethernet or WiFi between your devices and your ASUS router? (We’re still using our reliable ASUS RT-N66U to connect to our ATT DSL modem because Hulu Live TV through Roku sees the TM Home Internet as a forbidden mobile hotspot.) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@wildchld Hmmm - interesting. When I got the T-Mobile/Nokia device I was told by TM tech that the LAN/WAN ports were not active. Are you using ethernet or WiFi between your devices and your ASUS router? (We’re still using our reliable ASUS RT-N66U to connect to our ATT DSL modem because Hulu Live TV through Roku sees the TM Home Internet as a forbidden mobile hotspot.) 

I received my High Speed Gateway ten days ago.   It has firmware version 1.2003.03.0178.

The LAN ports are active.   I have an Orbi Router connected to one port in Access Point mode, and an 8 port switch connected to the other.