Question

Unable to connect Chamberlain garage door opener via 5g internet

Userlevel 3
Badge

Working through multi vendor solution to enable MyQ app to successfully connect to Tmobile home internet.  After long trouble shooting with Tmobile and Chamberlain, determined port 8883 is closed and the myq server connection requires an open 8883 port.  Neither vendor is being responsive with a solution.  

59 replies

I purchased a new Netgear extender as recommended by T mobile and I assumed it was at factory settings but using the Netgear app, it would not connect to the netgear online set up.   I sent it back to Amazon.   I have a Nighthawk extender but it connects to the Nighthawk router which did not connect to the Gateway .   I was told by T mobile that they were not compatible, so put them back on the shelf. Which extender connected successfully?   Thanks

Userlevel 1

Mine is old NetGear N300 Model EX2700. I got it at least 5 year ago.

I do not think you need to buy a new extender. Your nighthawk extender should work. Your extender always tries to connect to the “Known” network it has connected to. You need to reset it to factory default setting. At that time, you will be able to pick Gateway network. You need to download a manual to follow the initial setup procedure after resetting to factory default. Trust me, t-mobile support would not know your extender better than you do. Incompatibility is an easy excuse to get you off the phone.

Your netgear should work also. But your extender might only work for 2.4 GHZ network as mine does. So you will need to separate 2.4 GHZ network out from default t-mobile gateway’s hybrated network to create two networks for your t-mobile gateway. One for 2.4 GHZ, one for 5GHZ. At my home, 5GHZ is always much faster than 2.4 GHZ network. I have speed around 300 MBPS. So all my laptop/phone use 5GHZ network. But I leave this 2.4 GHZ for all the devices such as thermostat, smart devices. So far all works fine now.

Userlevel 2

I’m guessing T-Mobile has no interest in resolving this issue. Love everything else about it but this issue is forcing me to consider an alternative. So disappointed!

Userlevel 3
Badge

It has been a while since I last posted on this conversation.  Something really strange is going on either with Tmobile home internet or chamberlain or both parties.  MyQ mysterioulsy started working back in early April with no action on my part.  Then on April 29th, MyQ stopped working.   It has been that way since.  I reviewed by MyQ history and you can see breaks in garage door logging, usually for less than a week.  Like other posters on this thread, I really wish TMobile would address this lack of support.   

What I find even more distressing is not one TMobile support team member has even commented on this issue.  Argh!

There is actually a confirmed solution for this as I had exact same issue everyone else is complaining about.

You can't connect directly to the TMO router. It just won't work. 

I resolved this issue with a WiFi extender but you have to make sure it runs separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks. Mine was $50 on Amazon. Model shown at this link. 2022 WiFi Range Extender Signal Booster up to 5000sq.ft and 35 Devices, Internet Booster for Home, Wireless Internet Repeater and Signal Amplifier,4 Antennas 360° Full Coverage https://a.co/d/eBZMKlh . Then when you go through the process to add the chamberlain opener don't connect directly you the TMO router but instead connect to the 2.4ghz network created by the extender. Boom. First attempt to connect worked. 

I had the same issue. I found a great fix using the TP-Link RE200 AC750 wifi extender. Following the set up video from their website it has a way to configure for both 2.4g and 5g. I only set up for the 2.4 and skipped the 5g. Then I set my myQ garage door opener to that new established network and it works! I’m not tech savvy and found this as an easy and affordable fix. 

I had the TMHI Nokia Gateway and no issues with MyQ. Installed an TMHI Arcadian Gateway seven days ago and my MyQ devices no longer work. Tried talking to Chamberlain support but it was pretty useless (“T-Mobile is 5G, we require 2.4GHz”).

Looks like a WiFi Extender is the preferred solution, will go this route and hope one of the two vendors solve this issue in the near future.

Has anyone used the wifi extender solution for MyQ with the Arcadian Gateway? Had no trouble with  Asus and TPLink routers in bridge mode but with the Arcardian Gateway can’t get either to provide an internet connection.

Use an external router. Configure your router to use the SSID of your T-Mobile gateway. Delete the SSIDs from your T-Mobile gateway. Establish a new SSID in your T-Mobile gateway. Your IT equipments should automatically connect to the new router. MyQ garage you setup as instructed by the MyQ app and it will only detect the 2.4ghz connection. My setup is an ac3600 nighthawk $25 from eBay. 1000x better than the T-Mobile. 

I am not able to set up a wifi extender properly with either the Nokia or the Arcadian.

It sets up like one expects.  However, devices on the ‘extender’s wifi network’ can connect to its wifi, but cannot connect through to the public internet.  A phone, for example, will say ‘connected’ but ‘no Internet’.

No idea why y’all were able to connect  but I am not able to.

Netgear AC750 EX6100 extender.  Using only 2.4 GHz.

Just a follow-up to my previous post..

It looks like the Garage door opener can make a connection (to the outside world) via a WIRED connection on the T-Mobile gateway but not via the Wi-Fi put out by that gateway.

I say this because I can (ethernet) wire an access point to the T-M gateway, use a different SSID for the access point - and the opener connects fine through this access point.

(NOTE:  I used a NetGear Range Extender/Access Point configured as an access point).

Not a good long term solution, IMO - requires yet another device and a complicated set up.  T-Mobile needs to fix this issue with its gateway-WiFi.  Other service providers do not have this issue.  I may move to Verizon home internet soon.

SOLVED - If you use a repeater and then connect to that WiFi, the MyQ will connect.

Finally it works.  I got TP-Link RE200 AC750 wifi extender on Amazon ($27). I setup only the 2.4g network on the extender, and after I set it up, went into the extender app and turned OFF the 5g network (as it had set itself up, even though I said skip during set up).  Still the garage door would not connect using the MyQ app on my phone.  So, I got out my ipad and downloaded the MyQ app (and yes, there are some differences between the phone and ipad versions).  Set my ipad to the 2.4 extender network.  I deleted the existing garage door opener in the MyQ app and started from scratch, adding it back in as a new opener.  Tada! it worked.  Hope this helps someone else. 

I did get an extender - set up as a wireless access point - to work.  But in the end, all of these are just KLUDGES.   The T-Mobile Home Internet simply does not work as normal ISPs do.   I suspect this is simply because they are probably paranoid about how much bandwidth will get consumed. But there are other ways this gets limited in any case - which should be sufficient.  Poor design.  I strongly recommend using your own home router (connected to the THI gateway) to overcome a host of issues related to this T-Mobile design.

At some point I am going to try out Verizon mobile internet and see if it has similar issues.  I am not expecting that it does.

Badge

Working through multi vendor solution to enable MyQ app to successfully connect to Tmobile home internet.  After long trouble shooting with Tmobile and Chamberlain, determined port 8883 is closed and the myq server connection requires an open 8883 port.  Neither vendor is being responsive with a solution.  

For all those who are we’re having or are having connecting there my queue hub or garage door opener by chamberlain all you need to do is buy a cheap 2.4 G router that has ethernet input connected to the 5G gateway and it’ll work fine that’s what I did

Update***** I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO CONNECT!! No one ever called me back as promised by t mobile or Aladdin Genie…however I decided to try to connect my T Mobile device to my old router I used w the previous cable Internet provider (netgear brand). It took a couple tries but it finally connected under the router. Hopefully it continues to work. I hope this helps you fellow strugglers lol 

Stupid question. Using the old router, how are you able to do that without paying for internet for that router? No, I'm not that technically advanced. Lol

IMO, the change has to come from Chamberlain to have the MyQ server listen to open ports.  They will claim they use this port for security purposes.  Hardwired connections like ATT might be secure enough to have the port open, not so much with 5G internet using the cellular network.  I doubt T-Mobile will open the port (8883).  

The more complaints Chamberlain gets, the more likely they might take action.  Open a ticket with them.  I pointed out to the Chamberlain support tech that this issue will only grow in frequency and just marking it as a known issue wont make it go away.  

Where do I make a ticket? I just switched to T-Mobile internet from ATT bc they raised my

bill $11/month for the same shitty service have everything hooked up except my myq wifi garage door opener bc no matter what I do it won’t connect. 

Userlevel 1

So, How did you solve the issue? or not?  I have the same issue.

Userlevel 1

First, on T mobile internet app have the option to select 2.4 or 5G.

but I follow some places instructions 

So, I used Netgear EX2700 (Working only 2.4G, and setup with IPAD and everything go smooth. 

For whom says that T-mobile  need to find solution, I said: 2.4G its history, 

MYQ stay behind! and one day they will found themselves out of the market because new companies comes already with solution

I FOUND A FIX FOR THE CHAMBERLAIN

Hi all.  I recently installed the T-Mobile 5G internet and ran into the same issue.  I discovered a work around for this issue.  I bought a ORBI91 router from Walmart.  I plugged it into the back of the T-Mobile device and was able to create another network.  The Chamberlain recognized the new ORBI network and is now working with MyQ.  I still have my TMobile network as well.  Maybe other routers will work as well.  I am not for sure.  The Orbi was the 1st one I bought.  As an additional bonus, when I have guests over and the want to join my network, I am going to give them the Orbi network and keep them off my personal network.  

Hey give it a shot.  Maybe it will work for you as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just switched from ATT to T-Mobile Home Internet last week and had the same problem with reconnecting MyQ app. Luckily I came across this forum and still kept my very old OnNetworks wifi router purchased at least 15 years ago when I had Comcast internet service. Plugged in to the T-Mobile gateway and reconnect MyQ app in no time. I just wonder once that I reconnected MyQ app, do I need to have the old OnNetworks wifi router continued to plug in into T-Mobile gateway? 

I

This setup works. I had the same problem connect myq to t-mobile 5g home internet gateway for almost a year. I talked to chamberlain tech support many times and they were able to guide me to mess up the opener. I had to return the opener to Costco. Bought another one from Costco and decided to use it without the myq and camera.

I had a small wifi extender at home, setup as home gateway extender. IT WORKS!!!

I don't think T-mobile will change their protocols so I strongly suggest chamberlain publish this technique so other myq owners having the same problem can resolve their problems and enjoy myq.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i think for most of you you need the 2.4ghz connection and not the 5ghz.. mass majority of things out there need the 2.4 in order to work (irobot, door chime, ring camera etc etc). so if the router doesnt use the 2.4 or you have the security set up to i think it was WAP3 it no longer uses 2.4 and only 5 and if available 6ghz..which the above listed devices need 2.4.

My partner was able to fix this issue by connecting a router 2.4 ghz to the gateway box. 

Like larrya I got a TP-Link RE200 AC750 wifi extender (about $27 on amazon).  It set up quickly and my Liftmaster MyQ opener worked immediately upon being connected to the extender.  Thanks, all and especially larrya.