Question

Unable to connect Chamberlain garage door opener via 5g internet

Userlevel 3
Badge

Working through multi vendor solution to enable MyQ app to successfully connect to Tmobile home internet.  After long trouble shooting with Tmobile and Chamberlain, determined port 8883 is closed and the myq server connection requires an open 8883 port.  Neither vendor is being responsive with a solution.  

59 replies

Was having the same problem .bought a cheap wifi extender off Amazon for 13 bucks. The wifi extender not only extends the wifi single but creats it's own wifi name and is able to connect to the myq

Badge

After many hours of trying all options, talking with the (useless) T-Mobile tech support, and reading T-Mobile forums, seems that not only is there an issue , between what Chamberlain needs and what T-Mobile accommodates this is a moving target and depends on router version and MyQ version. Different people have different solutions. I could not get MyQ to work through either of two standalone WiFi routers that were physically connected to the T-Mobile router to connect, that is unless I had the standalone WiFi router network open - no passcode.  Ironically, MyQ works fine through my T-Moblie 5G phone hotspot. So I’m done fooling with this, left the standalone WiFi network open and had the standalone router MAC filter and only accept the MAC addresses of my garage door, phone WiFi, and laptop WiFi & ethernet ports.  Note that MyQ is not the only device that does not connect via the out-of-the-box T-Mobile gateway plus the gateway is the worst router, as far as features available, I’ve come across since setting up my first WiFi network in 2001.

GET THIS $#!% FIXED TMOBILE.  I have been in “offline” status with MyQ app for my garage door opener for 260 days, per the app.  Numerous times I tried to reconnect my garage door opener via MyQ app to my T-Mobile wifi over the past 9 months or so.  Finally today, I called MyQ thinking it was user error following the app instructions.  After confirming that I was following the instructions correctly, the rep asked me what did I use for internet service.  As soon as I told him TMobile, he said that is the problem.  There is a known issue with TMobile and the settings that come with their home internet units.  Sure enough… I googled Myq and Tmobile and voila!  Here is more than 1 year of complaints on this topic.  RIDICULOUS.  I had TMobile when I originally bought the Chamberlain garage door opener and the professional installer was able to get the MyQ app to work and it did flawlessly until TMobile upgraded cell towers to 5G and sent me a new tower.  Since that time, I have not been able to use MyQ app.  GET. THIS. FIXED. TMOBILE.  This is almost 2024 and this should NOT be an issue. 

While I am grinching… consumers pay entirely too much per month for any cell tower to be down.  Too many people rely on cell phones and related services for any tower to be down or providing low signal.  It is not only dangerous (i.e. elderly relying on wifi to support their health devices should the fall and need to call 911; wifi supported security cameras, MyQ Apps to see who is coming and going at your home...etc.) it is irresponsible.    Someone should be camped out at those towers 24/7/365.  

T-Mobile:  You are making things way too complicated for new users.  I found that if I just carry my T-Mobile box into the room where I am trying to connect a device to the T-Mobile service, plug it into the same electrical circuit that my device is plugged into I can set up anything I want to.  I have successfully set up two ROKU devices, MyQ smart garage door opener, my Ring Doorbell Pro and a Ring Spotlight camera on my back patio.  The T-Mobile box likes to be in a window for the best signal and when I was in the garage doing my MYQ smart garage door, I just left garage door open and I got the best signal of anywhere in the house.  Everything connects right up, as long as you follow the exact steps set forth for each individual device and they all prompt you through very easily.  If a female 75 years old can do this, I would think anyone could!

I found a quick easy solution for this. I have an old netgear N300 extender when I used with Comcast router to provide full house coverage. Now with t-mobile home internet router I do not need that extender anymore for coverage. I setup this extender again to create a 2.4 GHZ network for my MyQ to connect to. It worked like a charm.This 30 dollars extender will do the trick. 

Yeah this worked like a charm for me too and an added benefit was I was able to hook up my home surveillance system which is nowhere near the T-Mobile router and it requires a lan cable so i  have my surveillance system and garage opener both running through the extender

I bought a Wi-Fi extender and connected it to my Wi-Fi then connected the garage door to the extender and it worked my garage door is back online. 

I spent about 45 minutes using chamberlain live chat.  After resetting to factory settings, I was able to get the garage door to open and close from the app again. You have to reset both WiFi and garage door opener for it to work.

I am also unable to connect my parents Genie/Aladdin Garage door to their T-mobile router.

I wonder if this is the same issue….

I have tried numerous ways with no sucesss.  I have changed the WEP protocol on the Router (the options are pretty limited) and I have tried to manually configure the garage door ahead of time.

How can I tell if the problem is a closed port…

Does T mobile router have a way assign an ip address to device?  

I am hoping that T-mobile will enable more features on their router to help get around issues like this.  There is not way that Genie connect will keep up with changes in protocols or even bug fixes

David

I have 2 MyQ openers on separate buildings. Both of them easily set up initially and worked perfectly. About a year ago they both went offline for a couple weeks.  I resolved it by doing a factory reset and restoring the SSID and password. The same thing happened again 2 weeks ago. Devices went offlline and I did the factory reset tonight. Once the SSID and password were restored both devices immediately were back online. I realize that this is a temporary fix, but thought it might be helpful to know that it wasn't always this way. I expect that the change happened during a software update and I'll be back offline when the next update is pushed out. Looks like I'll be adopting the solution recommended here. Thx for sharing.

Like larrya I got a TP-Link RE200 AC750 wifi extender (about $27 on amazon).  It set up quickly and my Liftmaster MyQ opener worked immediately upon being connected to the extender.  Thanks, all and especially larrya.

My partner was able to fix this issue by connecting a router 2.4 ghz to the gateway box. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i think for most of you you need the 2.4ghz connection and not the 5ghz.. mass majority of things out there need the 2.4 in order to work (irobot, door chime, ring camera etc etc). so if the router doesnt use the 2.4 or you have the security set up to i think it was WAP3 it no longer uses 2.4 and only 5 and if available 6ghz..which the above listed devices need 2.4.

I

This setup works. I had the same problem connect myq to t-mobile 5g home internet gateway for almost a year. I talked to chamberlain tech support many times and they were able to guide me to mess up the opener. I had to return the opener to Costco. Bought another one from Costco and decided to use it without the myq and camera.

I had a small wifi extender at home, setup as home gateway extender. IT WORKS!!!

I don't think T-mobile will change their protocols so I strongly suggest chamberlain publish this technique so other myq owners having the same problem can resolve their problems and enjoy myq.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just switched from ATT to T-Mobile Home Internet last week and had the same problem with reconnecting MyQ app. Luckily I came across this forum and still kept my very old OnNetworks wifi router purchased at least 15 years ago when I had Comcast internet service. Plugged in to the T-Mobile gateway and reconnect MyQ app in no time. I just wonder once that I reconnected MyQ app, do I need to have the old OnNetworks wifi router continued to plug in into T-Mobile gateway? 

I FOUND A FIX FOR THE CHAMBERLAIN

Hi all.  I recently installed the T-Mobile 5G internet and ran into the same issue.  I discovered a work around for this issue.  I bought a ORBI91 router from Walmart.  I plugged it into the back of the T-Mobile device and was able to create another network.  The Chamberlain recognized the new ORBI network and is now working with MyQ.  I still have my TMobile network as well.  Maybe other routers will work as well.  I am not for sure.  The Orbi was the 1st one I bought.  As an additional bonus, when I have guests over and the want to join my network, I am going to give them the Orbi network and keep them off my personal network.  

Hey give it a shot.  Maybe it will work for you as well.

Userlevel 1

First, on T mobile internet app have the option to select 2.4 or 5G.

but I follow some places instructions 

So, I used Netgear EX2700 (Working only 2.4G, and setup with IPAD and everything go smooth. 

For whom says that T-mobile  need to find solution, I said: 2.4G its history, 

MYQ stay behind! and one day they will found themselves out of the market because new companies comes already with solution

Userlevel 1

Working through multi vendor solution to enable MyQ app to successfully connect to Tmobile home internet.  After long trouble shooting with Tmobile and Chamberlain, determined port 8883 is closed and the myq server connection requires an open 8883 port.  Neither vendor is being responsive with a solution.  

So, How did you solve the issue? or not?  I have the same issue.

IMO, the change has to come from Chamberlain to have the MyQ server listen to open ports.  They will claim they use this port for security purposes.  Hardwired connections like ATT might be secure enough to have the port open, not so much with 5G internet using the cellular network.  I doubt T-Mobile will open the port (8883).  

The more complaints Chamberlain gets, the more likely they might take action.  Open a ticket with them.  I pointed out to the Chamberlain support tech that this issue will only grow in frequency and just marking it as a known issue wont make it go away.  

Where do I make a ticket? I just switched to T-Mobile internet from ATT bc they raised my

bill $11/month for the same shitty service have everything hooked up except my myq wifi garage door opener bc no matter what I do it won’t connect. 

Update***** I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO CONNECT!! No one ever called me back as promised by t mobile or Aladdin Genie…however I decided to try to connect my T Mobile device to my old router I used w the previous cable Internet provider (netgear brand). It took a couple tries but it finally connected under the router. Hopefully it continues to work. I hope this helps you fellow strugglers lol 

Stupid question. Using the old router, how are you able to do that without paying for internet for that router? No, I'm not that technically advanced. Lol

Badge

For all those who are we’re having or are having connecting there my queue hub or garage door opener by chamberlain all you need to do is buy a cheap 2.4 G router that has ethernet input connected to the 5G gateway and it’ll work fine that’s what I did

I did get an extender - set up as a wireless access point - to work.  But in the end, all of these are just KLUDGES.   The T-Mobile Home Internet simply does not work as normal ISPs do.   I suspect this is simply because they are probably paranoid about how much bandwidth will get consumed. But there are other ways this gets limited in any case - which should be sufficient.  Poor design.  I strongly recommend using your own home router (connected to the THI gateway) to overcome a host of issues related to this T-Mobile design.

At some point I am going to try out Verizon mobile internet and see if it has similar issues.  I am not expecting that it does.

Finally it works.  I got TP-Link RE200 AC750 wifi extender on Amazon ($27). I setup only the 2.4g network on the extender, and after I set it up, went into the extender app and turned OFF the 5g network (as it had set itself up, even though I said skip during set up).  Still the garage door would not connect using the MyQ app on my phone.  So, I got out my ipad and downloaded the MyQ app (and yes, there are some differences between the phone and ipad versions).  Set my ipad to the 2.4 extender network.  I deleted the existing garage door opener in the MyQ app and started from scratch, adding it back in as a new opener.  Tada! it worked.  Hope this helps someone else. 

SOLVED - If you use a repeater and then connect to that WiFi, the MyQ will connect.

Just a follow-up to my previous post..

It looks like the Garage door opener can make a connection (to the outside world) via a WIRED connection on the T-Mobile gateway but not via the Wi-Fi put out by that gateway.

I say this because I can (ethernet) wire an access point to the T-M gateway, use a different SSID for the access point - and the opener connects fine through this access point.

(NOTE:  I used a NetGear Range Extender/Access Point configured as an access point).

Not a good long term solution, IMO - requires yet another device and a complicated set up.  T-Mobile needs to fix this issue with its gateway-WiFi.  Other service providers do not have this issue.  I may move to Verizon home internet soon.

I am not able to set up a wifi extender properly with either the Nokia or the Arcadian.

It sets up like one expects.  However, devices on the ‘extender’s wifi network’ can connect to its wifi, but cannot connect through to the public internet.  A phone, for example, will say ‘connected’ but ‘no Internet’.

No idea why y’all were able to connect  but I am not able to.

Netgear AC750 EX6100 extender.  Using only 2.4 GHz.