Question

Netflix downgrade

• 4 January 2024
  • 57 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Netflix,

“You currently have Netflix ON US included in your plan. Netflix recently updated their subscription tiers, you’ll now receive Netflix Standard with ads, providing more features and benefits to you. This benefit will continue to be ON US ($0). There is nothing you need to do. This change will take effect between January 25 and February 1.”

How is changing my subscription from “no ads” to “includes ads” “providing more features and benefits to you”?

57 replies

Userlevel 1

I agree! Definitely a downgrade with the ads. Hopefully we can pay the difference to get no ads. 

Userlevel 2

No super happy with the downgrade. Free (no ad) Netflix was one of the biggest draws to T-Mobile. Might look for different carrier.

Userlevel 3

I can see a customer law suit, we should be Grand fathered in to keep the tier with no ad,s.

Userlevel 3

They call this an update, but really a downgrade and a big one.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I can see a customer law suit, we should be Grand fathered in to keep the tier with no ad,s.

bring it up with Netflix then..this isnt a decision on TMOs part..carriers dont get to make the rules for other companies

Userlevel 2

fireguy_6364

"bring it up with Netflix then..this isnt a decision on TMOs part..carriers dont get to make the rules for other companies"

You couldn't be more wrong on this, T-Mobile can keep giving it customers what they promised them when they signed up. They'll just have to eat the cost or make a new deal with Netflix. The benefit equates to $15.49 of value for the current one, now it's going to equate to $6.99, how is that not a Downgrade? I to, will be looking at other carriers and plans.

Userlevel 3

I just tried to call support and the automated message said it's a 30 minute wait.  Maybe they are getting calls from angry customers LOL 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

fireguy_6364

"bring it up with Netflix then..this isnt a decision on TMOs part..carriers dont get to make the rules for other companies"

You couldn't be more wrong on this, T-Mobile can keep giving it customers what they promised them when they signed up. They'll just have to eat the cost or make a new deal with Netflix. The benefit equates to $15.49 of value for the current one, now it's going to equate to $6.99, how is that not a Downgrade? I to, will be looking at other carriers and plans.

Did you ever read the fine print that terms can change and promo can end at any time!

This is unfortunate but I would probably do the same if I was T-Mobile. It will increase profit margins and force people to pay more to get back into  the higher tier they were in with Netflix. Although I am not happy about it, it's actually good teamwork between the companies. Personally, I may downgrade my plan and even consider other carriers. In the end I will probably have to choose to either ditch Netflix completely in the very unlikely instance that it reduces plan cost or pay the difference to avoid ads. However, I doubt that T-Mobile will allow the option of my plan without the Netflix with ads for a reduced cost. Let's not pretend that anything is really free. There would be no agreement between T-Mobile and Netflix if it wasn't mutually beneficial and you pay for it even if it isn't shown as a line item.

I think it is best to let the dust settle, do some price comparison and then decide how bad I really want to consume some of what Netflix has been sending my way.

Userlevel 1

It looks like they are downgrading Netflix to pay for giving us Hulu with ads. Plus the streaming services actually make more money off the with ads subscriptions.  T-mobile is pushing offering Hulu as a great new benefit while it cost them nothing due to the netflix downgrade & both streaming services get all these customers on the more profitable “ with ads” subscription services.  Yet again the consumer loses out. 

Userlevel 3

The day the ads begin I will cancel Netflix.  Next, I will be changing to another carrier with better rates.  T-mobile’s perks are now weak and not worth the higher rates for them. 

Userlevel 1

I think this is total bull*** if you ask me. When I signed up for netflix on us it payed the whole thing. Over the years netflix has weaseled their way out of paying it and making us pay the difference, now they are lowering it to ads, and even if they did make up the difference to the new price hike of 16 bucks tmobile will probably cheap out and pay 7-8 dollars farrrr from entire price as they were supposed to do when I first signed up for this. This is Tmobiles fault for not honoring what they were supposed to in the first place. They stole me away from sprint because it was horrible just to say sprint was going to buy them out 3 months later, then they bought sprint and said we were going to share towers for better coverage as far as I know here it hasn’t happen because coverage sucks. I’m probably going to switch also because not even the cellspot is horrible now always texting me saying it’s at another location and if 911 were to happen it couldn’t find me, nothing has changed thought it keeps doing it and I have to constantly call and tell them to reset it again for the 10000 time to my current address. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You can switch to Verizon and PAY them $10 a month for Netfix With Ads and Max With Ads.

I think T-Mobile is still offering the better deal.  Remember Netflix has dropped the plan that T-Mobile was giving you.  T-Mobile had to make a change.  I think it is reasonable.

Badge

Netflix with ADs is a downgrade - I don’t care how many screens you give but shows me ads and it’s time to look else where!

Classic Bait and Switch X 2. As a loyal Verizon customer for 10+ years, I signed up for the G05G Plus55 Plan in Aug 2023 only after being hounded by my spouse for months prior because of the free wifi perks on American and Delta with a qualifying T-Mobile #. Netflix (no ads) was the game changer that finally made me agree to switch from Verizon. Since switching, Delta announced that free wifi will be available on all flights by the end of 2024 with only a SkyMiles account. Nearly all of Delta’s domestic fleet is retrofitted and their international fleet is in progress. American has similar plans for their fleet. Netflix (w/ads) is a definite downgrade regardless of multiple screens and 1080P. There is no way in h*** that neither me or my spouse will stay focused on a movie with ads that eat up an extra 30+ minutes of ad-time, either with Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services. Does T-Mobile think our time is overvalued? Apparently so. As consumers we have no empathy toward who subsidizes who, i.e. Netflix vs T-Mobile or their advertisers; our concern is honoring the original deal, and not having to pay an “upgrade” fee. Guess we were just hooked and reeled in. Now after just 5 months, need to start searching the carrier landscape for a better deal. Are you listening, Mike ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Classic Bait and Switch X 2. As a loyal Verizon customer for 10+ years, I signed up for the G05G Plus55 Plan in Aug 2023 only after being hounded by my spouse for months prior because of the free wifi perks on American and Delta with a qualifying T-Mobile #. Netflix (no ads) was the game changer that finally made me agree to switch from Verizon. Since switching, Delta announced that free wifi will be available on all flights by the end of 2024 with only a SkyMiles account. Nearly all of Delta’s domestic fleet is retrofitted and their international fleet is in progress. American has similar plans for their fleet. Netflix (w/ads) is a definite downgrade regardless of multiple screens and 1080P. There is no way in h*** that neither me or my spouse will stay focused on a movie with ads that eat up an extra 30+ minutes of ad-time, either with Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services. Does T-Mobile think our time is overvalued? Apparently so. As consumers we have no empathy toward who subsidizes who, i.e. Netflix vs T-Mobile or their advertisers; our concern is honoring the original deal, and not having to pay an “upgrade” fee. Guess we were just hooked and reeled in. Now after just 5 months, need to start searching the carrier landscape for a better deal. Are you listening, Mike ?

If people would read the fine print the first thing it states is that offer may change. You may not like it but it is what it is.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv-streaming/netflix-on-us

Hey gramps28: This is clearly a business ethics issue. The Netflix OnUs offer was stated to us in it’s entirety on signup. It is blatantly obvious that your reality check of “...it is what it is” with a link to the contract terms is nothing more than an affirmation of your loyalty toward T-Mobile. Aside from that, and you being a helpful Community member, are you suggesting we just grin and bear it? We are newbies with T-Mobile however you are the expert with decades-long experience. What would you suggest we do to mitigate our specific situation, legal or otherwise, and what do you think T-Mobile should do to keep our loyalty?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hey gramps28: This is clearly a business ethics issue. The Netflix OnUs offer was stated to us in it’s entirety on signup. It is blatantly obvious that your reality check of “...it is what it is” with a link to the contract terms is nothing more than an affirmation of your loyalty toward T-Mobile. Aside from that, and you being a helpful Community member, are you suggesting we just grin and bear it? We are newbies with T-Mobile however you are the expert with decades-long experience. What would you suggest we do to mitigate our specific situation, legal or otherwise, and what do you think T-Mobile should do to keep our loyalty?

youre absolutely correct...so..how would you like everyone to handle this? shall we all bounce and teach TMO a lesson when it comes to taking things away from us? which carrier should i jump to that doesnt end up having any changes to the things they offer? im sure none of the others ever end any of those promos ….or change them..so which one should we be looking at?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The problem is no one ever reads the Tmobile promos terms and conditions or the even Tmobile’s terms and conditions for use of their network. In the terms Tmobile, nor any other carrier, guarantees service and can change plans when they want except for the carrier lock plans.

When they came out with Netflix on US I needed to change from my One plan to Magenta and pay $20 more a month. I just kept paying directly to Netflix at the time $7. It didn't make sense to change.

Userlevel 1

I agree! Definitely a downgrade with the ads. Hopefully we can pay the difference to get no ads. 

I inquired and it would be another 9.50 per month without ads. I hadnt even had Tmobile for a year yet. 

I'm sorry but if people realized it's actually costing you more do you have T-Mobile on us for Netflix or even Paramount then they wouldn't use those benefits. Because I was grandfathered in under a plan that they no longer have anymore and it was cheaper for me to pay out of pocket for Paramount and Netflix and tell my kids wanted smart watches so then I had to upgrade my plan to the magenta which almost doubled my phone bill so now I'm paying almost $400 a month instead of $150 because of the change in the plans and the additional lines for the smart watches. But also with that we get unlimited data which is the best benefit that is if it would actually work all the time. And also every time I went into upgrade my phones they totally screwed up my account so bad it took me months to get it fixed so when I do decide to upgrade phones again I will be switching from T-Mobile and I've been with them for 13 years. I thought the whole thing would be coming 5G was things worth just get better and possibly a little cheaper but it's only gotten worse and more expensive. 

According to the Netflix website if you currently have basic you are grandfathered in until you cancel or change your account so why wouldn’t we be grandfathered in the same way with Tmobile.  If we currently have the basic plan we should be grandfathered in according the Netflix.

Userlevel 3

I called in for the third time about this change and asked for a Supervisor to discuss it.  I finally got through to a Supervisor, who looked up my account and she said that as I am on the Magenta Max 55+ with 3 lines, my Netflix service is grandfathered in and will not be changed to the one with ads.  I asked her to confirm and she put me on hold, came back a couple minutes later and confirmed no change to my Netflix.  As this is different from what I was told the last 2 times I called, I supposed I will see what happens over the next day or two when the change is taking place.  

Userlevel 3

I called in for the third time about this change and asked for a Supervisor to discuss it.  I finally got through to a Supervisor, who looked up my account and she said that as I am on the Magenta Max 55+ with 3 lines, my Netflix service is grandfathered in and will not be changed to the one with ads.  I asked her to confirm and she put me on hold, came back a couple minutes later and confirmed no change to my Netflix.  As this is different from what I was told the last 2 times I called, I supposed I will see what happens over the next day or two when the change is taking place.  

I just checked and my Netflix account has not change.  I will check back later, but that last support agent may have been right that my account is grandfathered in.  I am hopeful.