Solved

Home internet modem keeps powering down and restarting

• 31 October 2022
  • 61 replies

Show first post

61 replies

On these cell metrics. With my

Nokia gateway before sagecomm my sinr was 4 or blank. 

I’ve had mine less than two weeks and keeps shutting off and powering up. 

I am using T-Mobile home internet from almost an year. From past week I am seeing frequent restart of Router causing interruptions in my work. Called CC and visited near by T-Mobile store and change the router. New router worked fine for couple of hours and then re-started again and this is continuing whole day for every couple of minutes. I need to visit the store again to see if they can fix the issue. Lot of inconvenience due to frequent disconnects.

Thanks for this thread, I have only had the Sagemcom for less than a week and it suddenly started rebooting itself every 15-30 minutes based on the alerts I was getting off the firewall.  (Just note, I am still running dual WAN between Cable and T-Mobile Home Internet. So that’s why I can still email myself alerts off the firewall.)

I decided to give it a whirl and switch out the stock power adapter to my Anker USB-C (up to 100 watts) adapter I use with my laptops. The stock one says it is 15 watts.  The cycle of rebooting for me stopped.  After a few hours, I switched it over to a leftover Chromebook USB-C wall adapter that is good for 45 watts.  No hiccups or issues after a few more hours that I’ve seen thus far.  

I’ll edit / post an update if anything else comes up, but the recommended solution definitely was worth a try for me. 

This worked for me.  I had another Samsung 45w charger laying around, and used it for the Sage, and it has fixed the reboot issues it was doing!  I am assuming the adapter is not giving enough power for the amount of bandwidth we are demanding on the units.  I’ve seen this before with a portable mifi and this fixed it too.  

Separating modem and my wifi did not help. Returning unit before test drive up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have not seen a conversations with that behavior. It sounds like the gateway has a problem or the power adapter for the gateway is failing. If you have only had it a few weeks I would ask to have a replacement. If there is a T-Mobile store close by that also supports the gateways I would contact them and see if they can do a swap out for you. 

I have had my home Internet maybe 3 weeks. Was good was fine. Now it's a freaking nightmare.

I cannot even listen to a song online because it will reboot itself before the song can finish.

So what is that every 3 minutes or so.

I plan on immediately returning it but it started the night before Easter. No where to go no one to call.

This is worse Internet experience of my life and I had dial up. Thanks T-Mumble 

And they are trying to charge me more for some reason.

Bye losers.

Having the same issue here… just started service a little over a week ago and our tower has power cycled numerous times. At first I thought maybe it was doing updates ( odd to do that without any warning or in the middle of the day/evening, but….. )   Anyway…. I’m glad to see that it isn’t just me.  I will be calling or stopping by a store. 

Same problems here.  I had mine for months with no problem, fast, no rebooting.  Then a couple of months ago it started rebooting once sometimes twice a day.  Called and got a replacement NOK silver cylinder tower.  It wasn’t too long that the second unit started rebooting.  Then on a day where it rebooted 5 times while I was WFH, the rep said they were working on my tower and that it was a one day maintenance.  Several days later after more rebooting, I called back and the rep said that the maintenance was scheduled for 2 months and would end the next Friday.  Don’t know why one rep said one day and the other said 2 months.  But they also sent me a new power adapter to try.  So I limp along til that Friday, and it was still rebooting.  Got the new plug and installed and after the maintenance is supposedly done, its still rebooting when I look at it wrong.  Yesterday though I worked all day and didn’t notice any rebooting.  I start watching HBO Max and 3 times in 20 minutes it rebooted.  Switched to Netflix and watched an entire movie with no issue.  I only have 2 bars signal strength because I’m 2 miles from the closest tower.  But I have no other option except to pay thousands of dollars to get the cable company to extend to my home.

Badge

The other problem with t-mobile is if you have Hulu Live.  T-Mobile doesn’t work with it because it uses dynamic IP addresses, you need a static IP for it to work. T-Mobile Hulu Live uses your location by IP address and when T-Mobile changes it with these reboots you lose the Live feature.  Done with T-Mobile internet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Azzlyn2006 - I am just speculating but try reseating the SIM card. The SIM card holds significant information about the account and services. If the SIM is not making contact in the unit this could cause issues with the tower connection. If it is shutting down and then powering back up maybe it is a faulty gateway or power adapter. Before you do more or it goes down check notifications on the LED display. The Nokia receives notifications via the LED only, which is not ideal, but if the Arcadyan or Sagemcon are similar in this respect or not I do not know. If there are any notifications with error codes that would be something engineering should be able to work with. I do not believe the SIM connection would have any relationship to the unit rebooting. If there is a T-Mobile store that supports the gateways talk to them and see if you can get a replacement. I do not believe that is a tower issue. If a firmware upgrade was pushed to the gateway it might reboot to install it but now if it has an issue with the firmware or an upgrade went sideways that could possibly lead to it being in a bad state rebooting. Either way there is probably little you can do with it.