Question

how to improve signal and speed on home internet¿

• 3 December 2021
  • 34 replies

Badge

I'm only getting about 25 to 45 Mbps down and similar up. I keep seeing people get in the 200s down! How can I get those kind of speeds? I'm not very far from a tower and I've tried the Nokia Gateway all over the house!

34 replies

Depends on if you are happy with what you have. I installed an external antenna made a world of difference very happy.

Which external antenna did you go with and where did you place it?

I would like to know how to boost the speed and signal as well.  we had storms in March and we are being told that they have no intention of bringing the service back to its previous functionality.  we have service (crappy and unreliable, but we can use it) so they quote that we used the service so it is the expectation that our quality remains crappy but this should be what we expect.   I don’t currently have another provider in my area-- although the moment we do we’ll be switching our entire account (because if you know there is an issue and choose not to fix it…. well. )  but until then I need to have a more reliable signal and preferable better speeds. 

I have no issue purchasing an antennea or whatever I have to do-- If that is the only option-- what kind of antennea?  Brand? Recommendations?  

I get over 500, all the time… Tower is 2 blocks from my house with a clear shot out the window

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you have the Arcadyan Gateway and the more recent firmware update you will not have any advanced metric information via the web browser interface. You will have to use the mobile application to have more information and be able to manage the Arcadyan gateway. 

The Nokia gateway web UI is much better and allows cellular metric information and admin capability. 

So, getting the cellular metrics depends upon the gateway you have. 

Badge

I'm only getting about 25 to 45 Mbps down and similar up. I keep seeing people get in the 200s down! How can I get those kind of speeds? I'm not very far from a tower and I've tried the Nokia Gateway all over the house!

It does not matter how far you are from the tower what matters is signal quality.

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

Hi! I am having the same issue, poor speeds and a tower is in sight. 

I read what you wrote, go to 192.168.12.1 modems page IP address but I have no left click ability and cannot expand anything on the root page of 192.168.12.1.

when I go to that IP it gets redirected to: //192.168.12.1/home and all I see is Home, Connection status section where it shows Devices --- Wifi gateway ----- Internet

then below that two boxes, left box shows Connection Quality which says Very good, and right box that says, Gateway and then below it firmware, UI version, serial number, etc.

How do I open the page where it shows RSRP, SNR, RSRQ and so forth?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

any help here?

Are you connect to N41 on your secondary signal? if not try a different spot for your  gateway..

any help here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Sorry, I am not finding any of these screenshots on either that app or the webpage (192.168.12.1). I have searched both places and do not find any mention of primary networks or any signal readings like what is being shown in many of the previous responses. 

On the T-Mobile Home Internet app, go to “More”, “Advanced cellular metrics”.

Sorry, I am not finding any of these screenshots on either that app or the webpage (192.168.12.1). I have searched both places and do not find any mention of primary networks or any signal readings like what is being shown in many of the previous responses. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Just got my home 5g 2 days ago and have poor speeds. I am trying to follow the advice in this thread, but when I go to 192.168.12.1, I do not find any options (or mention) of the primary or secondary signal. I have “home”, “networks”, and “support” buttons on the side. Any ideas?

The Arcadyan web GUI is very limited.  You probably need to use the T-Mobile Home Internet app to see the info.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You need to move your gateway,  you are on band n71,  you need to be on band n41.

Just got my home 5g 2 days ago and have poor speeds. I am trying to follow the advice in this thread, but when I go to 192.168.12.1, I do not find any options (or mention) of the primary or secondary signal. I have “home”, “networks”, and “support” buttons on the side. Any ideas?

Hi All,

You’ll have to forgive me, I’m reading this forum and not understanding a ton, but hoping someone’s still watching it. We’ve been having horrific service for the last few days, 3.65mbps down and 0.73 up, and i’m currently sitting next to the gateway. The signal on the can has never been higher than 2 bars, no matter where i go in the house. It resides on in in the SW corner of the house. These are the stats I currently have, no secondary connection whatsoever. Can anyone offer assistance? The LAST thing i want is to return to comcast, but I work from home and we stream everything; can’t have speeds like this. 

Userlevel 1

Initially I was on a tower with b41 and no 5G.  Tower was a Sprint tower that has now been turned off. 
50 down and 30 up.  That was In September.  It was much more reliable than the current.  
cellmapper only shows 2 n41 towers in the whole Chattannoga area.  One downtown an the other east, northeast. All the n71 are along the interstates. 

Userlevel 1

This is the last 24 hours:

b66 and n41

Waveform panel antenna

Userlevel 1

This is last 7 days:

Chattanooga, TN

Userlevel 1

I think I am experiencing tower congestion. Works great during the night but terrible during the day.  
if you know what a Raspberry Pi is there is software on GitHub called internet-pi.  It acquires statistics on any internet connection.  Mine is plugged into a Ethernet jack on the gateway. 

Badge

You have nothing to lose but to try.  I sent my “can” back, a few days later  my brother got one around the corner and he got great numbers.  I re-ordered it.  Meanwhile I watched every video on the net and I called T-Mobile and was transferred to a T-Mobile engineer,  he told me the “can” doesn’t like being in a window or direct sunlight, keep it away.  My kitchen has 2 windows and putting it higher was the game changer.  If you have a tall piece of furniture in your living room or dining room give it a try.  It just may be perfect or close.

Yea it sitting on a shelf about 6ft high! I'm going to have to try something! It's frustrating and I know I'm just jealous but seeing those with 200 down man it gets to me!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You have nothing to lose but to try.  I sent my “can” back, a few days later  my brother got one around the corner and he got great numbers.  I re-ordered it.  Meanwhile I watched every video on the net and I called T-Mobile and was transferred to a T-Mobile engineer,  he told me the “can” doesn’t like being in a window or direct sunlight, keep it away.  My kitchen has 2 windows and putting it higher was the game changer.  If you have a tall piece of furniture in your living room or dining room give it a try.  It just may be perfect or close.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can likes being up on the ceiling, as it would typically have less to block it  from a line of site to a tower.    The higher the frequency, the less well that it does going through material, hence why mmWave loses signal from literally .. anything in between.  

It’ll be interesting to try one of these.  I used the older 4G LTE Home internet and had ~140Mbps when they first came out.  Since then, the sites bumped up LTE, and during the day, on my phone, I can get 160Mbps, and over 230Mbps at night.  5G n41 is reachable a couple blocks away from a site ~1 mile away, and will aggregate to ~450Mbps.

My signal is considered ‘weak’ by above standards, but low use:

B66 (AWS) LTE

RSRP= -108dBm

RSRQ= -12

SINR=13.4

MIMO Configured: 4

Carrier Agg: AWS 20x20, PCS 15x15, LTE 700: 5x5

Fortunately, the site has a low range, mostly residential, so .. its mostly ‘unused’ in my sector.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I was in the same boat until I placed the “can” in the kitchen on top of the upper cupboard.  My can jumped to over 350 down & ~11-16 up.  I used an extension cord after it worked out I drilled through the back of the cupboard from top to bottom 3 holes ran the plug wire from the top down where it met an outlet.  Then I added a new plug fastened with screws for ~$2.00.  All set. 

I don’t know why but the “can” likes being up by the ceiling.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

May want to focus more on the "quality" indexes.  Can have a "good" quality connection at 105 RSRP, provided the other indexes are strong.

The more usable headroom within the wave form, the better the CQI value can calculate, which impacts the symbol rate it will try to run.

I can get the same throughput at 90 as I can at 96, provided the noise and other metrics stay strong.

Badge

Depends on if you are happy with what you have. I installed an external antenna made a world of difference very happy.

I was hoping there was a way other than that but that looks like what I'm going to have to do

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Badge

Yea those are about the best numbers as far as cellular strength I can get in my house. I've tried just about every nook and cranny