Question

Suddenly slow home internet.

• 5 November 2021
  • 63 replies

Show first post

63 replies

Userlevel 1

When I first subscribed to the home internet service in April the speeds were pretty good, 65-70 Mb download and upload speeds. By July I was lucky to get 40-45 Mb. I cut the cable a number of years ago and decided this summer to invest in a 4K TV, AV receiver and the 4K apple TV. The last few days have seen my internet slow to less than 5 Mb/s. I’m thoroughly disgusted with T-mobile’s service. When interacting with them they repeat the same BS in order to repair the speed yet nothing improves. I’ve considered going back to my DSL service and buying a dual WAN router to combine two separate ISP’s. This is 2021. Is it too much to ask for a consistent 40 Mb? JFC, we can go to Mars.

What’s disgusting is that there other countries that have faster speeds. This is ridiculous and embarassing to us as a country that in the year 2022 our internet speeds are so low. I think the average speed in the US is 26 mbps but even that speed is unpredictable for most of us no matter who is the isp. On tmobile, I’m only getting 1 mbps. It keeps me on the 4g. I am looking for another service. I work from home and I need reliable and consistent internet. This is worse than dsl.

Userlevel 1

as some have said, it’s an easy fix but….how often should we have to “fix” it? My wife and family are tired of having to go thru all of this. My blazing speed today, after numerous reboots and refreshes….

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

I started out getting speeds at or over 100 Mbps.  Today I am getting speeds at less than 4 Mbps and that is the fastest it has been all day.  Absolutely horrible...near useless for my needs.

To their credit my issue is now fixed and I am back over 100 Mbps.

Badge

Same here, Lake Norman NC. Something is going on, it’s not just my home internet but my phone as well, I’m about a ¼ mile from a 5G tower and can visually see it with the gateway by the window in direct path of the tower. 

Had excellent 150-200 down 50-90 up for months straight. Last two days have completely tanked with no real answer from support. 

I started out getting speeds at or over 100 Mbps.  Today I am getting speeds at less than 4 Mbps and that is the fastest it has been all day.  Absolutely horrible...near useless for my needs.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've had TMobile internet for 3 weeks. Consistently get less than 1mbps download between 4pm and midnight. Right now at 7pm, download speed is 0.12 mbps. This service is not worth $50 a month. Spectrum cable just lowered their internet to $49.95 and I'll be switching before the next billing cycle. This 5g internet is all hype and no substance

When I first subscribed to the home internet service in April the speeds were pretty good, 65-70 Mb download and upload speeds. By July I was lucky to get 40-45 Mb. I cut the cable a number of years ago and decided this summer to invest in a 4K TV, AV receiver and the 4K apple TV. The last few days have seen my internet slow to less than 5 Mb/s. I’m thoroughly disgusted with T-mobile’s service. When interacting with them they repeat the same BS in order to repair the speed yet nothing improves. I’ve considered going back to my DSL service and buying a dual WAN router to combine two separate ISP’s. This is 2021. Is it too much to ask for a consistent 40 Mb? JFC, we can go to Mars.

its about prioritization. after you are ‘satisfied’ with your first month, you now get to enjoy bottom of the barrel priority on the tower which results in this clear throttle and packet slowdown.  Call in to fix? they can’t tell you how they fix it, they just manually assign your priority to capture you saying on a recorded line, oh wow its working again. then back to this.  If you can get a broadband option in your area, it's worth the extra cost for the reliability. Otherwise get the mobile hotspot, then at least you can have priority access to the tower even if it means having a data cap.

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I first subscribed to the home internet service in April the speeds were pretty good, 65-70 Mb download and upload speeds. By July I was lucky to get 40-45 Mb. I cut the cable a number of years ago and decided this summer to invest in a 4K TV, AV receiver and the 4K apple TV. The last few days have seen my internet slow to less than 5 Mb/s. I’m thoroughly disgusted with T-mobile’s service. When interacting with them they repeat the same BS in order to repair the speed yet nothing improves. I’ve considered going back to my DSL service and buying a dual WAN router to combine two separate ISP’s. This is 2021. Is it too much to ask for a consistent 40 Mb? JFC, we can go to Mars.

Userlevel 1

Easy fix??? How often are we expected to "fix"? Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I don't want to but if it does not became more reliable it's back to overpriced cable for me

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You might also be dealing with an overheating modem.

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has been a common issue for many of us.  It is easy to fix.  Turn off your gateway. ( push that little button in the back of the unit.)  If you can unplug it from the wall too.  Give it 2-5 minutes and restart.  it will be back to what you expect.  It the early morning while the house is sleeping and I get up and use the T-Mobile app on my phone, go to on the bottom “more” and hit reset gateway.  This will reset your internet and clean out your components.  This 5G phenomenon is so new and T-Mobile is rushing to get their network to be its best, it is all growing pains.

Maybe going slightly faster but not back to normal. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This has been a common issue for many of us.  It is easy to fix.  Turn off your gateway. ( push that little button in the back of the unit.)  If you can unplug it from the wall too.  Give it 2-5 minutes and restart.  it will be back to what you expect.  It the early morning while the house is sleeping and I get up and use the T-Mobile app on my phone, go to on the bottom “more” and hit reset gateway.  This will reset your internet and clean out your components.  This 5G phenomenon is so new and T-Mobile is rushing to get their network to be its best, it is all growing pains.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You mean 100 Megabits or 100 megabytes? 12Megabytes = 100 Megabits. Download speeds from the browser are most often given in terms of bytes/sec but ISPs provide speed in bits/sec because it looks better :)

If you are getting 100 MegaBYTES/sec that would be 800 Megabits/sec. That’s kick butt!! Almost as fast as Google Fiber’s 1Ggiabit/sec service.

You’ll get the best link speed if your device is as high as possible and away from solid metal surfaces by a few feet (i.e., don’t put this on top or right next to a metal filing cabinet).