Solved

gmail to phone.#tmomail.net is not working

Badge

emails from GMAIL to the SMS gateway, <phone.#>.@tmomail.net are NOT received as texts.

emails from OUTLOOK to the SMS gateway, <phone.#>.@tmomail.net ARE received as texts.

google has a gmail application “email to text” whereby one can gmail <phone.#>@sendemailtotext.com and receive text.  That is, google has their own email-SMS gateway.  When using this app, I DO receive the email as a text.

It appears that google is restricting emails to the tmobile email-SMS gateway, @tmomail.net, to force customers to use googles app “email to text”.  Did I mention that google charges for the service?

Is there anyone who can shed any light on this?  Is there anyone who can email <phone.#>.@tmomail.net and receive a text?

Thanks

frito

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 15 September 2023, 21:13

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 1

Try logging into Gmail and setting up the forwarding allow list. Its under gmail settings “forwarding and POP/IMAP” gmail will send a verification code to the recipient to allow forwarding. Just a thought since its a static address that maybe gmail will tag the outgoing email/sms differently.

Any updates?  New to this thread but have had this issue for around a month.  Can’t get anything to my phone via tmomail.  Thread should NOT be marked as solved.

Badge

It was working for a while now it isn’t.  I get what is shown below.

Maybe it is time to create a database where users can add a line every time a message doesn’t get through.

Anybody have an idea how to do this quickly?

If it needs a URL I’ll by one.

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.comReceived-From-MTA: dns; redacted@gmail.comArrival-Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT)X-Original-Message-ID: <653b2358.0d0a0220.59145.0ef9@mx.google.com>Final-Recipient: rfc822; redacted@tmomail.netAction: failedStatus: 4.1.0Remote-MTA: dns; tmo-west.mx.a.cloudfilter.net. (35.85.199.61, the server for the domain tmomail.net.)Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 4.1.0 <redacted@gmail.com> server temporarily unavailable AUP#MXRTLast-Attempt-Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:57:20 -0700 (PDT)

I use a generic gmail account for all my online activity.  This includes sending email to text for responding to craigslist advertisements that include a text phone number, but no email.  The ones going to verizon and at&t go through while the T-Mobile ones do not.  This morning I got the following response to an email to tmobile text:

Delivery incomplete

There was a temporary problem delivering your message to XXXXXXXXXX@tmomail.net. Gmail will retry for 47 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

That was accompanied by a details.txt file containing the following:

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; genericemail@gmail.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 08:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
X-Original-Message-ID: <028001da0e6b$6ba891f0$42f9b5d0$@gmail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; XXXXXXXXXX@tmomail.net
Action: delayed
Remote-MTA: dns; tmo-west.mx.a.cloudfilter.net. (44.225.109.57, the server for
 the domain tmomail.net.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 4.1.0 <genericemail@gmail.com> server temporarily unavailable AUP#MXRT
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 09:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
Will-Retry-Until: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 07:35:49 -0800 (PST)

I also use it for alerts from smart devices in my home.  They don’t get through anymore either and some of them not getting through would be catastrophic..

I sure would like this issue fixed soon.

I had the same problem in the last week or so. Today Nov 6 2023 9am PST it came back. I have received 2 days old messages. I tested with new messages and they arrive in seconds.

Great

The vast majority of messages, are a miss.

As of yesterday (14 September 2023), such messages were not being delivered to the phones (multiple) and the senders (not specifically via Gmail) are not receiving a bounce/reject message, so it appears the messages are winding up in a black hole somewhere.

@HeavenM I understand spam filters are necessary, but when legitimate messages aren’t getting through, this is a problem

This is beyond ridiculous now.

Not being able to get a message through can be extremely frustrating. The spam filters should not be blocking everything. Are you sending these messages from your personal email address or from an automated email service? Does the email that you are sending from include words like admin, info, alert, test, contactus, or sales? (This is not a complete list of words in the email address that are filtered but gives you an idea.) The tmomail.net message route is not designed for ANY business messages, so if you are sending a message for a business purpose, you should either send from your business email to another email address or use a message aggregation service to send those. If you are sending a personal message (like “hey I left my phone at home. Can you make sure to feed the dogs?”), then those messages should not be blocked and we can dig deeper into what happened there (Unless that message is sent from a work email that is something like alert@company.com, because those are filtered out). 

I know this is extra frustrating because this email to text service has allowed these types of messages for a long time. T-Mobile is making large strides against spammers and scammers and that means cracking down on the avenues that we know those bad apples are using to take advantage of our customers. T-Mobile is leading the pack when it comes to these changes, but we are not the only ones. The other carriers are also making their filters stronger. That is why it is important to start finding the right way to send those business messages, so you don't have to worry about being flagged as spam. 

This article explains what is happening, and even says “The e-mail to text gateway is a legacy system that may eventually be decommissioned in the future.”

It also says “There are a range of independent reputable companies offering messaging services on the sanctioned path that may suit your needs. We recommend you reach out to Kaleyra, Infobip, Sinch, Vibes Media, Twilio, or Cisco directly.

What it doesn’t say is that, as far as I can tell, each one of these services sends messages via a (programmatic) API or a web interface.  There is no email-to-text interface available (you cannot just send your message to somewhere other than tmomail.net)

So, if your messages are generated by your home security, or other, system then the developers of those systems need to add capabilities to utilize the “paths” that T Mobile accepts.

It will not be simple to switch.  If you are relying upon T Mobile to deliver SMS/MMS texts to your phone you should probably be looking elsewhere, or convince your system’s developers to add additional SMS/MMS delivery methods.

Use the $5 app, pushover, to send notifications to your phone.  Search ipcamtalk.com for instructions on how to use it.

Why should I have to use a 3rd party app to do something that should be supported in the first place?  Tmobile should step up to the plate and fix this.  End of story, end of debate, end of conversation.