Solved

"LG IMS keeps stopping"

Show first post

96 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

I wrote to LG and they sent me the attached PDF instructions. I've performed it on both phones and it works until the phone is powered off. I'll contact them again.

Userlevel 3

I wrote to LG and they sent me the attached PDF instructions. I've performed it on both phones and it works until the phone is powered off. I'll contact them again.

THE BEST SOLUTION many have found (and easiest, which was posted by a tech on Monday night) and which allows WIFI to be turned on and RESTARTING the phone  (without the debilitating popup returning) is the following:

• Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > 3 dots > Restore Default Settings.

THE BEST SOLUTION many have found (and easiest, which was posted by a tech on Monday night) and which allows WIFI to be turned on and RESTARTING the phone  (without the debilitating popup returning) is the following:

• Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > 3 dots > Restore Default Settings.

I just tried this and it did not work. :( 

Userlevel 3

This PDF from T-mobile is WRONG and misleading! You must CLEAR DATA not just clear the cache. The instructs are not clear on that. ALSO, airplane mode turns the WIFI off but it will come back on once out of AIRPLANE mode so simply turn WIFI off and keep off until matter is resolved or repeat the process.

The following resolves it all:

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

Did not work for me.

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

Thank you thank you...seems to have stopped!!

Sadly it didn't work for me 😔

After trying sever fixes  the above fixed my old XM 212 Aristo plus with replaceable battery... Thanks Gypsyd8 ....although had to go back & forth  on force stop clear data/catches before force stop held...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, it was t-mobile all along as per this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/t-mobile-issues-fix-for-ims-error-that-renders-many-lg-phones-useless

Even LGs 5G phones were affected.

Such a mess…..

Userlevel 3

I just tried this and it did not work. :( 

To be clear, the PDF  solution in the link is iffy because it is poorly written. Carefully do the following after rebooting your phone:

Solution #1

If that does not do it, make sure WIFI is off and stays off, reboot phone carefully, make sure WIFI is off and do Solution #2 and repeat Solution #1 again.

Solution #2

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

GO BACK AND REPEAT SOLUTION #1

Userlevel 3

its both. TMO sent out a side update to all devices (Samsung, LG, etc)..the only OEM that ended up with an issue were mainly older LG devices..their test server never popped up any errors..only after the update was pushed...so on the TMO side all showed good to go… main reason why TMO and LG are working on it..for the older devices it was something not causing any issues but was an actual issue..for TMO their test system never detected the problem.

the side update was to improve network connections.

Here’s the updated instructions for the permanent fix from 5/27/22 if anyone still experiences the issue or wants to make sure they have the latest update:

T-Mobile's support team on Twitter told customers that it was aware of the issue and that it would release a fix soon. The problem has apparently been caused by a network-side system update rolled out by T-Mobile. The carrier discovered the bug only after the update was already deployed.

While the issue has now been fixed, it highlights the risk of continuing to use a smartphone that no longer receives support from the manufacturer.

UPDATE

T-Mobile has officially acknowledged the recent IMS bug that occurred on many LG phones after it pushed a network settings update.

Below are the steps to apply the fix:

1. From your list of apps, tap the "Settings" gear.
  2. Either select "System" or choose the "General" tab.
  3. Choose Update Center > App Updates.
  4. Select "Download for LG IMS Improved" and wait for the update to complete.
  5. Press and hold the power key, then choose to restart your device.

THIS IS FALSE. NO SUCH STEP EXIST ON MANY OR ALL AFFECTED LG PHONES:

“Select "Download for LG IMS Improved" and wait for the update to complete.”

---and T-Mobile has not officially done anything. Call your Attorney General.

Userlevel 3

Solution #1

If that does not do it, make sure WIFI is off and stays off, reboot phone carefully, make sure WIFI is off and do Solution #2 and repeat Solution #1 again.

Solution #2

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

GO BACK AND REPEAT SOLUTION #1

Userlevel 3

The following instruct in your T-Mobile pdf link does not work on most LG phones because it is not listed as an option.

• Select Download for ‘LG IMS Improved’ and wait for the update to complete.

Yet another false solution.

I woke up to this message on my LG 6 phone: “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped.”

I have tried everything, shy of a Factory Reset.  So frustrating!  Not sure what to do, if there’s anything I can do.  

Has anyone taken their phone with this issue to a T-Mobile Store to have it checked?  If so, what did they say about it?

T-mobile customer service said to wait for a system update. T-mobile store's only solution is to sell you a new phone. All t-mobile stores know how to do are swap sim cards and sell phones. No other knowledge what so ever.

I did two main steps. Turn on airplane mode. Then do

1. Go to settings – apps & notifications – app info
  2. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
  3. Select Show System
  4. Click com.lge.ims.rcsprovider
  5. Choose storage
  6. Clear cache, data and force stop

That  didnt help me at all. But I immediately did the next step and it worked.

1. Go to the hidden menu by dialing 277634#*#.
  2. Find and tap on “IP Version.”
  3. Change the setting from “IPV6V4” to “IPV4V6.”

Find IMS Setting then IP Version and change it.

Same here...even tried the hidden menu in which you use the dial pad to access. The dialer would close itself after i would MAYBE get the first 3 numbers pressed…..I’m worried.

Userlevel 2

Same here...even tried the hidden menu in which you use the dial pad to access. The dialer would close itself after i would MAYBE get the first 3 numbers pressed…..I’m worried.

yep, found that hidden menu as well --- never knew that existed ;) 

Userlevel 2

I woke up to this message on my LG 6 phone: “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped.”

I have tried everything, shy of a Factory Reset.  So frustrating!  Not sure what to do, if there’s anything I can do.  

Has anyone taken their phone with this issue to a T-Mobile Store to have it checked?  If so, what did they say about it?

on another thread in here - i saw that several took into a store with no success

Curious...is this just a problem with T-Mobile?

Userlevel 1

Both of our LG phones started getting the “LG IMS Keeps Stopping” popup every three seconds starting yesterday.  I followed the instructions on a half-dozen YouTube videos exactly, and NONE of them had any effect.  Then I checked a half-dozen forums and followed all their advice (except a factory reset) and NONE of them had any effect.

Unfortunately, it appears that some folks on YouTube are exploiting this problem by posting “fixes” that they have not tested or confirmed, because all they want is the views and the clicks.  They know that desperate users will watch the video to the end, even though it does not work.

Evidently T-Mobile changed something on Sunday that makes the LG IMS system app “stutter” (but not stop) every three seconds.  That is apparent because the phone can still send/receive voice calls and text messages, and “clearing the cache” and “force stopping” only works for a few seconds before the app resets and attempts to function again -- triggering that endless popup message every three seconds!

LG has stopped making phones, but supposedly promised support for a couple more years.  T-Mobile and LG have been mum on the problem so far, even though it evidently affects just about every LG phone on T-Mobile -- that could be hundreds of thousands.

It is frustrating that the forums and YouTube are full of false fixes, and the minor news coverage so far says “a small number” are affected (which is not true).

I did the fix and I can at lest use all the functions (Call, text and web) Im using the LG stylo 4. 

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Thank you thank you...seems to have stopped!!

DO NOT start resetting phones, folks. This problem just hit my LQ Q7+ out of the blue. Assume a T-Mobile problem which they should fix w/o user intervention, or w minimal intervention. I stand to be proven wrong, but I'm betting w others who think TM messed something up.

This started on one family member’s V30 yesterday and another today.

This affects more than one LG model.

Obviously T-mobile has changed something in the network.

See this thread here:

I have tried safe-mode, Disabling mobile data. Etc, etc. including all suggested on the internet and above thread with no success.

I would advise against making any changes until an official response is issued from someone with sufficient knowledge to understand what network-wide changes were made and explain how to correct the problem or how T-mobile intends to correct the problem.

I worked this issue for more than 8 hours today!

I've had this problem all day (8hrs). Went to a physical Tmobile. They spent 30mins working on the issue and found no solutions. Hopefully Tmobile sees everyone having the same problem and issues a fix.

Don’t count on a solution from T-Mobile as they are now owned by ATT, my past experiences with them are dismal. This has worked for me as posted by another customer…..

Badge +1

its both. TMO sent out a side update to all devices (Samsung, LG, etc)..the only OEM that ended up with an issue were mainly older LG devices..their test server never popped up any errors..only after the update was pushed...so on the TMO side all showed good to go… main reason why TMO and LG are working on it..for the older devices it was something not causing any issues but was an actual issue..for TMO their test system never detected the problem.

the side update was to improve network connections.

Here’s the updated instructions for the permanent fix from 5/27/22 if anyone still experiences the issue or wants to make sure they have the latest update:

T-Mobile's support team on Twitter told customers that it was aware of the issue and that it would release a fix soon. The problem has apparently been caused by a network-side system update rolled out by T-Mobile. The carrier discovered the bug only after the update was already deployed.

While the issue has now been fixed, it highlights the risk of continuing to use a smartphone that no longer receives support from the manufacturer.

UPDATE

T-Mobile has officially acknowledged the recent IMS bug that occurred on many LG phones after it pushed a network settings update.

Below are the steps to apply the fix:

1. From your list of apps, tap the "Settings" gear.
  2. Either select "System" or choose the "General" tab.
  3. Choose Update Center > App Updates.
  4. Select "Download for LG IMS Improved" and wait for the update to complete.
  5. Press and hold the power key, then choose to restart your device.

Tmobile says its an LG issue and to call them l  833-378-0003.  Problem is,, I can’t make a phone call.

UPDATE from Tmobile:  Oh my! I can't imagine what you're feeling right especially that you don't have a spare phone right now to use just to have this issue and I know how essential our service and phone can be, but one's thing for sure is that LG is now working double time to fix this issue as this only temporary and this would definitely get fixed in no time. This may not be T-Mobile's issue but we're to help and assure that they are working on the clock now for you. Sounds good?

My K40 has the issue but my wife’s K20 does not.  She is running Android 9.   May be a problem with Android 10