Question

Turn off WiFi on T-Mobile Home Gateway

Show first post

56 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Make sure you are turning off the right one.

Userlevel 2

I’m curious whether other people can replicate this, but it’s true that if you disable the “Enable SSID” setting, the SSID will not be visible on the list of available WiFi networks, but at least on my unit the WiFi signal and the ability to connect to the gateway by WiFi is still there, even after rebooting the gateway with the new settings. I was able to login by manually adding the gateway SSID and password when connecting a device to WiFi.  I’d be curious to know if others see the same thing, and if so, whether anyone knows if there’s a way to truly shut off the gateway’s WiFi.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Logging into the gateway and disabling “Enable SSID” and “Enable Broadcast” does not turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, it simply hides the SSID.  If you key in the SSID and password on a device, it can still connect to the T-Mobile gateway’s WiFi.  If it’s not possible to turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, that’s a bit of an oversight on T-Mobile’s part, I hope that’s fixed in future firmware.  On the plus side, the gateway has a pretty good WiFi system, if you want to use it.

Not sure at least on the unit that I have you can. I have a Wifi scanner and believe me they are off there is nothing RF coming from the can.

Also clearly says disabled see the screenshot.

Userlevel 2

Logging into the gateway and disabling “Enable SSID” and “Enable Broadcast” does not turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, it simply hides the SSID.  If you key in the SSID and password on a device, it can still connect to the T-Mobile gateway’s WiFi.  If it’s not possible to turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, that’s a bit of an oversight on T-Mobile’s part, I hope that’s fixed in future firmware.  On the plus side, the gateway has a pretty good WiFi system, if you want to use it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I connected my Apple AirPort Extreme to the T-Mobile gateway with a long ethernet (in the wall) cable, and that works perfectly. I did NOT turn off the WiFi on the gateway. I connected the AirPort to the gateway with an ethernet cable. Then I reset the AirPort. When it came back up it automatically did the setup to extend. Make sure you name the AirPort network the same name and use the same password as the gateway. No loss of speed, and now I have strong connections throughout my long house. When I’m near the gateway, that is the connection. When I’m near the AirPort, then that is the connection.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

From this discussion...
Home Internet- turn off WiFi? | T-Mobile Community

1. Login to your router at 192.168.12.1
  2. Go to wireless networks
  3. For 2.4 and 5 ghz go through each SSID and disable the SSID. (Enable SSD setting to Off.)  

You could disable Broadcast for each SSID as well.

Note that if you do this, you might need to have a computer connected directly to the Gateway with an ethernet cable in order to access the admin page to make setting changes if connecting via your router fails to get you to the admin page.   Or you have issues with your router getting a connection.