Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

At&t. Something i said i would never do. But they still give autopay discounts. And it's bundled with my home internet and much better service at our house in terms of reception. With all tmo taxes and fees and 2 installments. We're at 265.. Less then 5 months ago we were at 130. 2 things changed. 2 watch lines & 20 in total. So doesent add up in my opinion. I'm just done with tmo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can't figure installment plans into pricing since that will always vary. Also AT&T just changed their autopay discount.

My credit card offers cell phone protection, but only if I pay my monthly bill with the card. Removing the auto pay discount if paid by credit essentially removes my cell phone protection I get from my credit card. Not a fan of this at all

I canceled my service because I hate this from the “uncarrier”. Amex gives a $10/credit per month plus comes with device insurance. My option is give that up, or pay an extra $60/year. They just effectively raised our rates despite their price lock guarantee. I hope they enjoyed buying my phone a few months ago for me to leave because they couldn’t keep up their side of the bargain.  I’m now paying $15 / month for my phone, watch and insurance after discounts with Visible. I was paying $90 for one line with T-mobile. I’m so over phone companies playing games! 

Just a backdoor price hike by T-Mobile!  At least give us auto pay by CC customers some benefit - I know that the amount that the CC company charges you for using my card is a LOT LESS than the $15 extra you’re going to charge me going forward. Given all the issues with hacking of customer accounts, it will be a cold day in h--- before I give anyone access to my bank account or debit card to make auto withdrawals. At least I can challenge fraudulent charges made to my CC… if a hacker drains my bank account because T-Mobile gets hacked, I’m stuck and I would bet a lot of cash that T-Mobile’s response will be “sorry for your inconvenience”!  T-Mobile - you’re making it much easier for me to switch providers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just a backdoor price hike by T-Mobile!  At least give us auto pay by CC customers some benefit - I know that the amount that the CC company charges you for using my card is a LOT LESS than the $15 extra you’re going to charge me going forward. Given all the issues with hacking of customer accounts, it will be a cold day in h--- before I give anyone access to my bank account or debit card to make auto withdrawals. At least I can challenge fraudulent charges made to my CC… if a hacker drains my bank account because T-Mobile gets hacked, I’m stuck and I would bet a lot of cash that T-Mobile’s response will be “sorry for your inconvenience”!  T-Mobile - you’re making it much easier for me to switch providers.

Here's a good read.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/30/23852255/verizon-att-t-mobile-autopay-discount-debit-bank-credit-card

In the end, I believe there will be another class action suit against TMobile and we will be awarded all the money the bean counters supposedly saved in the name of the almighty dollar.  When they find that this sort of methodology is the root cause of customer information being compromised. At some point, T-Mobile needs to show how important personal privacy is to them.  This was not a well-thought-out initiative.  Any corporate lawyer or attorney generals that want to make a name for themselves, please protect us and sign me up.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-reaches-500m-settlement-cyberattack-suit

maybe its time to start using MINT mobile

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You're still paying T-Mobile.

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

How many other carriers pay the plans taxes when you start looking? I'll be interested.

They don't "pay the plan's taxes," they roll it into your total.  If you look at the breakdown of your bill, you're still paying the taxes.  It's just like in the UK where they have the total price listed in the shops, vs the US where tax is added at the register.

They're making this change for T-Mobile for Business as of December, too.  I'm definitely in the "I'm not giving you my bank details" camp.  Considering the increasing issues we've had with cell and data service in the past few months, this is just further motivation to find a new carrier.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

How many other carriers pay the plans taxes when you start looking? I'll be interested.

They don't "pay the plan's taxes," they roll it into your total.  If you look at the breakdown of your bill, you're still paying the taxes.  It's just like in the UK where they have the total price listed in the shops, vs the US where tax is added at the register.

I beg to differ. If I was enrolled in the essential plan which is a cheaper rate plan but doesn't include taxes that plan is more expensive after taxes and has less perks.

Maybe that's the difference between business and personal plans.  My itemized bill shows a breakdown of the line cost and taxes/fees that get rolled into each line

The highest charge to T-mobile by credit cards should be AMEX, up to 3.3%.

The rest can be half that.  $5/mo is double what Visa charges and a new profit center for T-Mobile.

The lower your bill, the higher % $5 is.

NO WAY data breached T-Mo earned my banking info.

Do your own math.  Search the commercial rate your card charges T-Mo vs $5/mo.

$2.50, call it a draw.  $5 is a profit center.  Unearned.  NOT the Un-Carrier anymore.

I just got the noticed and will be canceling my account.  They are hacked WAY too often.  Found another carrier that accepts credit cards for payment.

T-Mobile just lost another customer.

But they still accept credit cards, and are cheaper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

But they still accept credit cards, and are cheaper.

And you don't get the perks you do with Tmobile and you don't get the domestic roaming you get with Tmobile. Also your phones data is not a priority in the busiest parts of the day.

I REALLY LOVED TMOBILE….for about 4 years.  When my BF and I got our double lines and $10 discount, we were very happy. (We are seniors on the original Magenta Plan. ) Not only that BUT “back” when we signed up, we got 20gb fast hotspot each month for each phone,  Well 2 years later, we noticed WHEN we had to use our HS it slowed down after an hour or so - called TMOBILE and they said we NEVER had 20g fast hotspot on our Magenta acount - and there was no proof of course, even though we KNEW we had it. (I EVEN found the original ad floating around the internet; took a pic on my phone and showed it to them - they still denied our lan ever had that fast of GB - but a few weeks later, you couldn’t find that ad anywhere on the net)   Come to find out later that TM upped the next  Magenta account after ours (For a $20 increase)  greedy and the worst is they wouldn’t admit it.   Anyway NOW this, they can keep my $10 and play with it all night long - i will NOT add a bank account or debit card - thats just asking for another breach.  Unfortunately ALL the phone companies are like this, or I would switch in a minute...

Well they are removing my auto pay with credit card starting November 20, 2023. I will not give my debit or checking account info. They have been hacked multiple times. 
 Credit cards have zero liability versus your banking info. Someone fraudulently charges your credit card it gets removed. Someone charges your debit card you can kiss your money away the bank will not give it back.

Also possibility is that this had nothing to do with fees from credit companies it’s an INFORMAL way of INCREASING YOUR SERVICE CHARGES but claiming that they are being charged unreasonable fees from credit companies. Guess what T-Mobile there is a charge for debit transactions/ACH usually it the same rate. 
Suggestion maybe re-negotiate your fees. Switch processing companies.

Your plan to require people to provide debit/account info is to LOSE BUSINESS. You will have a lower profits or be running your business NEGATIVE.

Time to look for another carrier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Well they are removing my auto pay with credit card starting November 20, 2023. I will not give my debit or checking account info. They have been hacked multiple times. 
 Credit cards have zero liability versus your banking info. Someone fraudulently charges your credit card it gets removed. Someone charges your debit card you can kiss your money away the bank will not give it back.

Also possibility is that this had nothing to do with fees from credit companies it’s an INFORMAL way of INCREASING YOUR SERVICE CHARGES but claiming that they are being charged unreasonable fees from credit companies. Guess what T-Mobile there is a charge for debit transactions/ACH usually it the same rate. 
Suggestion maybe re-negotiate your fees. Switch processing companies.

Your plan to require people to provide debit/account info is to LOSE BUSINESS. You will have a lower profits or be running your business NEGATIVE.

Time to look for another carrier. 

I just checked my account and Tmobile isn't removing my credit card for payment.

They will not be giving you the autopay discount. I believe $5 per phone line. When I called 611 she made it sound like their new platform is not accepting credit cards. 

Hey T-Mobile, if you’re were planning on costing me ten more dollars per month, that’s ok. In the meantime, I’ve turned off Auto-Pay and Paperless Billing. Bless your heart! I pray to the lord to have another three million customers just do the same I did; only three million more customers, please lord.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone  :)

T-Mobile is either playing dumb or it is not an act!

OK Tmobile you want to play lets play. Im going back to paper bill, You will have to pay for stamp,envelops and pay someone to send it. This nothing but greed . They went to auto pay to save money on stamp,envelops and pay someone to send it. But now they have amnesia. I hope everyone will do what I am doing and hit them in the only thing they understand THE POCKET BOOK. You really think im going to give you my checking info. The bank of Nigeria is safer than you. Lets see how many times you have been hacked I cant count on both hands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

OK Tmobile you want to play lets play. Im going back to paper bill, You will have to pay for stamp,envelops and pay someone to send it. This nothing but greed . They went to auto pay to save money on stamp,envelops and pay someone to send it. But now they have amnesia. I hope everyone will do what I am doing and hit them in the only thing they understand THE POCKET BOOK. You really think im going to give you my checking info. The bank of Nigeria is safer than you. Lets see how many times you have been hacked I cant count on both hands.

Aren't you going to have to buy stamps and hope the USPS delivers it on time? Even the postal service suggests not paying bills through them.

NO, I will pay it through my bank checking account. Pretty much no one pays a bill with a  check by mail. I'll pay through bank like all my bills