Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

I am in the same boat. Just opened account with T-Mobile 4 month ago, my choices were Mint or T-Mobile. I discussed credit card explicitly while enrolling... why?  

• With credit card I have insurance from Amex.
  • I never use debit card or checking account because of security.  
  • if somebody states that they would like to remove fees for credit card use… fees are not 12% they are just 2.3%

Is it even legal to violate terms of agreement during sign up?

Short answer is yes.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

did not find anything where 12% = 2.3% am I reading that right?

Just called T-Mobile customer service, and the rep gave me a rather odd explanation that they are cancelling autopay with credit cards primarily because they have too many customers whose payments fail due to the customers credit card being over their limit or issues with 3rd party payment processors.

I have no idea if what she said is actually true or not, but that’s the explanation she gave.

That is not MY problem. I have a bank and a credit card that work every time for 9 years.

Like others, I thought the text from T-Mobile about the changes to autopay and requesting my checking/debit info was a phishing scam.

I don’t want to put my checking account info on a 3rd party web site, and my debit card is permanently locked unless I walk into my bank and have to swipe it, which probably happens once a year at most. I got hit with debit card fraud twice several years ago, thousands drained from my bank account, both times it took over a week to get the money back from the bank and was very distressing. After that, I stopped using my debit card entirely and locked it permanently.

On top of that T-Mobile and every other major corporation including the credit reporting agencies are INCAPABLE of keeping customer data secure. They’ve all been hacked, despite billions of dollars of IT infrastructure and experience, so...no...there’s no way I’m putting my bank info on their web site...and if my bill is going up $20 because of this, then I’m bailing on T-Mobile after 9 years. This is absolute nonsense.

If corporations would accept crypto payments, I could “autopay” my bill from MetaMask with USDC and the cost would be less than a penny on networks like Polygon or Arbitrum or Cronos. But banks and corporations want all these fees, so they continue to resist superior technology.

This is a money grab. T-Mobile has lost its way.

Not at all happy with this. Switched to Tmobile from Verizon 5 months ago understanding that if I give them a credit card number I get 10.00 off every month and my cost will never go up. That final price and credit card discount deal is what swayed me to switch providers. Now they change the game after locking me into a contract for 2 years and now tell me that in order to retain my quoted price I have to give them my unprotected bank account information or pay more which they told me would never happen!!! So now I either have to pay off the phones they told me I would get for free to switch to them OR give them direct access to my bank account info to a company that doesn’t care enough to even protect protect my personal info OR give into price increase that I was promised would never happen as long as I didn’t change my current plan….  BAD BUSINESS!

TMOB US earned 11.218B (B like in BILLION) in the last year. That’s a 117.32% increase over the previous year (Source: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TMUS/t-mobile-us/operating-income)

They can afford the credit card service charges. 

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

Just because it was announced months agao doesn’t mean it’s right. Pathetic that they are doing this. 😥

I’m furious… will be saying BYE T-MOBILE after 20!years 

After 13 years I am switching to Consumer Cellular. Its half the cost, same plan provsions as T-Mobilr and uses Tom and ATT cell.towers. They allow CC for auto pay discouny. TMO has forgotten who brought them to tje game.

This is beyond bull puckey. 

When I switched over to you all you screwed up my order, my military discounts, and even sent phones to the wrong place. Then you didn’t send out SIM cards and I had to have new ones sent - which you only sent 1 when I needed 3 sent out. 

Then when I did the autopay I agreed because I use one credit card for all my bills and make one payment at the end of the month. You are now altering an agreement that was made (you all are worse than the Empire on altering deals) and saying if I don’t use a debit card instead you are going to take away the discount. This is a direct violation to your Visa Credit Agreement. You must treat all card transactions the same as cash. 

Section 1. HONORING CARDS

Merchant shall honor, in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and in accordance with all MasterCard and Visa rules and regulations in existence at the time of the transaction, without discrimination, all MasterCard and Visa credit cards (“Cards”) when properly presented as payment by Merchant’s customers (“Cardholders”) in connection with bona fide legal transactions. If Merchant does not transact business with the general public (e.g., a private club), Merchant shall be deemed to have complied with this nondiscrimination rule if it honors all valid Cards of Cardholders who have purchasing privileges or Memberships with Merchant. Merchant shall not through an increase in price or otherwise, impose a surcharge on a Cardholder who elects to use a Card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means. Merchant may offer discounts for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check, or other means not involving the use of a Card, provided that the discount is offered to all prospective buyers. Merchant shall not establish minimum or maximum transaction amounts.

I have brought this up with both Visa and MC directly and they are investigating it for a violation of their merchant agreement. 

You all did this to save a buck but you will lose a lot more money when your charge card privileges' get completely revoked. Have fun going broke. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately autopay is not a surcharge.

Well I guess I will have to suffer the extra $10 I was being discounted. It sounds unsafe with the data breaches to use debit card/bank routing info. I read in this thread you have more protections against breaches with using a credit card. And with where I live, just outside of city limits, AT&T and Verizon signals are BAD, and AT&T’s customer service is horrendous. At least my tree foliage signal with T-Mobile it is usable, even if really slow, and it’s good when the tree foliage is gone. This is just a bunch of BS.

I am going to happily pay more money to switch to Verizon in the beginning of the year. T-Mobile’s service in my area is awful to say the least. Also, when I am traveling abroad, their generous 56kbs international data isn’t worth the hassle. I just buy a local sim card. I use Verizon for my work phone, and the 5G coverage everywhere I travel to for work has been a refreshing experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am going to happily pay more money to switch to Verizon in the beginning of the year. T-Mobile’s service in my area is awful to say the least. Also, when I am traveling abroad, their generous 56kbs international data isn’t worth the hassle. I just buy a local sim card. I use Verizon for my work phone, and the 5G coverage everywhere I travel to for work has been a refreshing experience. 

you dont get any discount from Verizon for auto paying with a CC card with them either unless you use their own Verizon CC card..other than that you must use your bank info..

Userlevel 1

This was the straw that breaks the camel's back. I've been patient with the service issues, data breaches, long wait times etc experienced over the past years. The quality of service has deteriorated drastically over the past few years of my extended tenure with T-Mobile. However, I draw the line at being dictated to on how to make my payments. There's a cost to doing business if there's a fee related to acceptance of credit cards. I do not want anyone especially a company with known data breaches to have access to my funds. 

Their decision was to inconvenience customers. Well, my decision is to leave and take my 5 lines with me.

I was with T-mobile for over 10 years. Since they decided to charge me $10 per month to use a credit card for auto pay I moved my business to Verizon. I know Verizon does the same thing but their service is better and the autopay discount was the only reason I had stuck with T-mobile all these years. I just don't see the logic in driving away customers. I get that banks charge for credit card transactions but I'm guessing it is only a 1.5% fee. If Tmobile had said they want to pass on a 1.5% fee to me to use my credit card (which would be $2.40 /month in my case) I would have been more likely to have stayed.

Userlevel 1

I was with TMobile for almost 20 years and the autopay discount was the only reason for sticking around over the past few. There's no longer a valid reason to be here.

I just got the same message today, I only have 2 phones.  Sorry for your burden.  

I’m torn.  I pay my bill with the 3rd credit card, the orange one, I don’t remember what it’s called, I don’t carry it with me.  Only use it for the cash back.  NOBODY has my bank account info except the mortgage people.  I don’t like to use a debit card since it’s coming right out of my account and if that number becomes breached (thanks t-mo), then that’s a drain on my account.  Is all that worth $10?  Not really sure.

I feel the same way. I use credit card as well because I am protected. I never, ever use a debit card for anything other than cash withdrawals at my bank. This one ticks me off because they are paying less than 1.5% charge. a little more than $1. So now they can send me a paper bill and I will still use my credit card.online to pay. The risk to me is not worth $10 as my debit card is tied to both my checking and savings accounts. I don’t trust T-mobile to adequately protect my billing information as they have had multiple breeches.

Merchant Fees are tax deductible because they are a cost of doing business. Individuals aren’t able to take that tax deduction, but businesses are.

So, this is a sign that T-Mobile shifted gears from the quality of service and product they used to be, into a blowing their load to get more customers their infrastructure couldn’t support yet, they are now losing customers and revenue, and now passing down their failure of oversight down to us, much like trickle down economics in general. 

Not only will they continue to take the tax deduction off the back end for those who continue to use their credit card on autopay, they then profit and pocket the fee they incur on those customers and either cover the failure in one way, or reinvest the money for themselves to capitalize even further on your money.

Userlevel 1

This is ludicrous!  Who in T-Mobile came up with this add-on.  Would anyone in their right mind provide their debit card or their bank routing number?  With all the hacks that have occurred can T-Mobile guarantee that it will not happen again?  With one swipe I could lose everything in my bank account.  I am sure there are some folks in T-Mobile that still have common sense and not subject their customers to a complete wipe-out of their bank accounts?  This is just another sort of hidden amount added on to the bill without saying it is an increase! All it shows is that they care only about their bottom line rather than their customers’ security!  So what it amounts to is paying the discount amount in order to maintain the security of my bank account(s).  Thanks alot T-Mobile!

Userlevel 1

Yeah screw this. I have 4 lines and with younger users, the free phone insurance through my credit card was a God send. I've been a customer for 21 years but Verizon is offering a special right now that stacks with my military discount and makes my bill $25 cheaper than T-Mobile. Really hate switching after all this time, but they made their decision.

Been with T Mobile since 2006 and this now foreign owned company has went downhill fast accelerating its speed to mediocrity and poor customer service after the Sprint merger.  As many have said this is a money thing pure and simple, increase profits and ignore customer outcry and dissatisfaction. 

Yah sure you betcha I am going to link my bank account to a company that has been hacked multiple times…..NOT!  We got our ID stolen after T-Mobile was hacked in 2019 and it was a nightmare.  

So if you want to make a point have them send you a bill via USPS monthly and pay the bill with a check - I know its not ideal for most of us that like the convenience of auto pay and /or electronic bill paying BUT if all or even half of T Mobile customers would do it even for two months it would cost them millions to send receive and process the payments!

We are starting next month please consider doing the same...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You know that once Tmobile processes your check your bank account number will most likely  be stored on Tmobile's servers.

I'd rather stay paying with a credit card.

I just got the message too.  It’s stupid.  Especially since I use Apple Pay which gives me the additional 3% cashback on top of the $20 discount

And the credit card I pay with has phone insurance covering theft and accidental damage. As long as I pay the bill with it...

Tmobile best rethink this decision. 

I'm in the same boat as you but my Tmobile plan pays my taxes. I don't think many other carriers do that.

Well, google fi has a plan that will work for me for $80+taxes of $8-$16 per month. That’s a far cry from the $160 it will now cost on T-mobile. 

If Im going to get charged for using a cc Im just going to drop autopay and let them issue me a paper bil every month. Tmobile is cheap. How they can expect me to supply a direct line to my bank acct is absurd.

Badge

5$ fee to walk in the store and do any business with them now as well.After 21 years I am gone,they will be lucky to receive my final payment by mail with multiple money orders from third world countries.Have fun trying to cash those T-Mobile hear they charge some outrageous fees!

There is no benefit to the consumer to use a debit card or a bank account and better yet adds risk at the expense of the consumer.  For auto-pay, Tmobile should find a better way to recoup those pennies on the dollar from CC transaction fees if thats indeed the reason behind this and not FEDNOW. How about TMobile negotiate with the major card issuers for this. This would make a lot more sense then passing the burden off to your customer base to force someone to use Bank information or a Debit card. With all the latest T-mobile growth, this is the BIGGEST MISSTEP and not the mention the easiest way to lose a long term Military customer (13+yrs with Tmobile)

Badge

From gas stations to restaurants I have been given discounts for walking in and paying cash,those business' want your business,T-Mobile does not want your business.