Solved

Pixel 7 Security Update

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 will not receive  the January 2023 security update . Tried doing it manually and no luck, have heard it’s a T-Mobile issue but that's just hearsay. Heard you can just pull your sim out and put another one in and it will update haven’t tried that one yet.

icon

Best answer by JNavas 20 January 2023, 03:09

View original

102 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

If you say so. Factory reset your device and check the update. Bet you still won't get it. OTA has always been staggered. They give the OTA file for those who don't want to wait. Has always been this way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The updates come directly from Google.  If you put another carrier SIM in your device, it will update the firmware and carrier aggregation to that carrier until you return to the T-Mobile update path, which might make a coue.of updates if the version numbers are dated the same.

Not true T-Mobile can delay the update. It's listed on the Google community. It's all over YouTube and Reddit. They have no right holding back on updates. Which Google approved and the phones used are unlock phones. Purchase from Google. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 will not receive  the January 2023 security update . Tried doing it manually and no luck, have heard it’s a T-Mobile issue but that's just hearsay. Heard you can just pull your sim out and put another one in and it will update haven’t tried that one yet.

If it's a locked phone you're out of luck. If not you can still side load it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

First this is no longer just a issue of the release being in batches. It's clearly being blocked by tmobile. And don't be surprised if it's because they don't want us to have a feature. Like visual voicemail with transcription. Maybe they are telling Google to take it out. so they can make us download the tmo app. And pay for transcription?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Pixels on Fi are having issues with the update and in turn Fi uses the Tmobile network which is probably causing the issues on updates for Tmobile for the Pixel line.

Userlevel 2
Badge

First this is no longer just a issue of the release being in batches. It's clearly being blocked by tmobile. And don't be surprised if it's because they don't want us to have a feature. Like visual voicemail with transcription. Maybe they are telling Google to take it out. so they can make us download the tmo app. And pay for transcription?

Right now you can delete all the T-Mobile apps. I paid for unlocked pixel phones from Google to get away from T-Mobile delays. I have no contact so I can go anywhere and get better perks. I just might sign up for the beta program and get every update without T-Mobile interfering. 

Following the Pixel's first stable update of 2023, Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2 is rolling out today with the January security patch.4 days ago

I can confirm that it is very likely being held by T-mo. I too have a Pixel 7 Pro unlocked (not purchased through Tmobile) and cannot get the update installed, no matter how many “check for updates” I try. 

I got the same answer from Google as another user here (wait until 1/15). 

I then fished out a very old expired SIM from another carrier and as soon as I put it in, the update appeared for Jan. I put my Tmo SIM back in too quickly and that killed the update almost immediately. So I had to do it all over again and put the other SIM back in and it started again… 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Pixels on Fi are having issues with the update and in turn Fi uses the Tmobile network which is probably causing the issues on updates for Tmobile for the Pixel line.

It was never released for fi. No one on fi got it without forcing it.  Tmobile is blocking the update. 

Google can't let it go to mint, fi, metro or any device on the tmo network. Untill tmo says so. Or Google 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So much speculation blaming T-Mobile with no proof at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

As I said before if people believed it was T-Mobile they can take out the sim and factory reset their unlocked device. Connect to WiFi and the update should be there. If it isn't then it can't be carriers as the phone is unlocked and not associated with a carrier in anyway and is missing the carrier partition. None are willing to do it because it's easier to blame the carrier than it is to blame Google. Google has a lot of strong fanboys thinking they can do no wrong. 

As I said before Google has Always staggered the release of their OTAs. The ones that are unwilling to wait they offer the OTA file for people do download and install. Doesn't matter which version they are all the same unless specified by Google before the release of the update. They are marked as such but subsequently the next version gets rolled back into one afterwards. Just side load it if you want it now. It's actually safer than doing it OTA to boot. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Let's just hope it's resolved soon. We can all help by talking about it. And send in complaints to both Google and tmo. The more they know that we care. The more effort they'll put into resolving it.

Update notifications are staggered but you can pull manually with the check for updates button. "I've had every pixel" cute, I've been developing aosp roms and kernels since the HTC G1. 

Yes carriers can block updates, have some control etc but they are typically available simultaneously across Google devices. 

Oh ya I also have 3 in the house right now. Been around this block a time or two. Also, if you look through every forum, Reddit post and even articles all saying reports are only from T mobile users it's probably a carrier side thing. This is basics. 

Now that that's out of the way, the 15th has come and go. I definitely plan to contact t mobile tomorrow and ask why my phone is months behind on security updates. I do banking and other things on my phone which I'd like regular security updates for. Part of why I bought a pixel. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I factory reset my wife's pixel 6a with out a sim. It updated and is on the January release. That was 1/14. everything looks good. Lte, 5g, 5g uc. And visual voicemail are all working fine. Bluetooth works fine. I'm holding off on my pixel 7. As I just did a factory reset coming from Android 13 beta to standard release. 

I factory reset my wife's pixel 6a with out a sim. It updated and is on the January release. That was 1/14. everything looks good. Lte, 5g, 5g uc. And visual voicemail are all working fine. Bluetooth works fine. I'm holding off on my pixel 7. As I just did a factory reset coming from Android 13 beta to standard release. 

The only issues I've heard about are with a small handful of cars. 

I might side load if it doesn't come in the next couple days. Resets are enough of a pain and I'm on esim so I doubt a reset would do anything. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Update notifications are staggered but you can pull manually with the check for updates button. "I've had every pixel" cute, I've been developing aosp roms and kernels since the HTC G1. 

Yes carriers can block updates, have some control etc but they are typically available simultaneously across Google devices. 

Oh ya I also have 3 in the house right now. Been around this block a time or two. Also, if you look through every forum, Reddit post and even articles all saying reports are only from T mobile users it's probably a carrier side thing. This is basics. 

Now that that's out of the way, the 15th has come and go. I definitely plan to contact t mobile tomorrow and ask why my phone is months behind on security updates. I do banking and other things on my phone which I'd like regular security updates for. Part of why I bought a pixel. 

As I said before there’s a reason why you have the OTA file.  That’s is what Google meant by day one if you don’t want to wait you can install the OTA on your own.  There’s no different whether if you get it from “T-Mobile”, Google, or Jesus himself it’s all the same file.  If you actually do rom development I don’t see someone waiting for an update they deemed important.   

I can tell you it’s Google’s own code that is causing problem if you looked at it.  IF you actually notices since 4.0 Google head office AND lead developers have never blamed carriers for delays.  You only here it from people AND Google customer service reps who have no workings in other departments.  Of course you don’t have to believe me.  It’s how Google doesn’t want all the traffic on their servers vs Apple willing to take all traffic regardless of bricked devices that can and do happen.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My two cents. T-Mobile has no right to hold back security updates on unlocked phones not even purchased from T-Mobile. I opted into the beta program and I have the January 5th update. Fingerprint sensor works much better and no Bluetooth issues at all. I can use Bluetooth on any of my devices and it works as it always did on my Hyundai sonata using Android Auto. I pay T-Mobile only for data. They don't own my phone's. They did the same thing with OnePlus if any of you remember. I certainly remember security updates once every 2 months. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

My two cents. T-Mobile has no right to hold back security updates on unlocked phones not even purchased from T-Mobile. I opted into the beta program and I have the January 5th update. Fingerprint sensor works much better and no Bluetooth issues at all. I can use Bluetooth on any of my devices and it works as it always did on my Hyundai sonata using Android Auto. I pay T-Mobile only for data. They don't own my phone's. They did the same thing with OnePlus if any of you remember. I certainly remember security updates once every 2 months. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

That's a flat lie from them. 

Literally only one carrier and it's connected carriers are having this issue. I can't find one singular t mobile phone that has updated to the January update without outside assistance across here, Reddit and xda. Literally every other carrier anyone who goes to check it's there. 

As I said before there’s a reason why you have the OTA file.  That’s is what Google meant by day one if you don’t want to wait you can install the OTA on your own.  There’s no different whether if you get it from “T-Mobile”, Google, or Jesus himself it’s all the same file.  If you actually do rom development I don’t see someone waiting for an update they deemed important.   

I can tell you it’s Google’s own code that is causing problem if you looked at it.  IF you actually notices since 4.0 Google head office AND lead developers have never blamed carriers for delays.  You only here it from people AND Google customer service reps who have no workings in other departments.  Of course you don’t have to believe me.  It’s how Google doesn’t want all the traffic on their servers vs Apple willing to take all traffic regardless of bricked devices that can and do happen.

Ok but then why is it only effecting t mobile devices? And why are some still on the November update? Only t mobile? Literally every reputable Android News site is reporting on this. You work for t mobile or something? Lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Literally only one carrier and it's connected carriers are having this issue. I can't find one singular t mobile phone that has updated to the January update without outside assistance across here, Reddit and xda. Literally every other carrier anyone who goes to check it's there. 

it was also literally mentioned above that it was reported that Google Fi devices were having issues after the update and they run on TMOs network. gonna go out on a limb and say if the Google Fi devices are having issues then so is whatever update variant they have for TMO devices..if this is the case then theres your delay.

it was also literally mentioned above that it was reported that Google Fi devices were having issues after the update and they run on TMOs network. gonna go out on a limb and say if the Google Fi devices are having issues then so is whatever update variant they have for TMO devices..if this is the case then theres your delay.

If it was the image from Google having issues they'd pull it and we couldn't side load. 

Why are you all so desperate to take the blame off t mobile? 

Google it. Every Android focused news sources has been reporting it as a t mobile issue for days. Some t mobile phones aren't even updating past November. Stop trying to protect t mobile and hold them accountable

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If it was the image from Google having issues they'd pull it and we couldn't side load. 

Google it. Every Android focused news sources has been reporting it as a t mobile issue for days. Some t mobile phones aren't even updating past November. Stop trying to protect t mobile and hold them accountable

I don't see any proof offered.that clearly shows that T-Mobile is to blame.  Why are you so insistent on blaming T-Mobile when others have pointed out that it also affects Google Fi?

I don't see any proof offered.that clearly shows that T-Mobile is to blame.  Why are you so insistent on blaming T-Mobile when others have pointed out that it also affects Google Fi?

Google Fi is t mobile LMAO

And I'm just being factual. If the issue is isolated to t moving devices, yes it's a t mobile issue. 

As I've said, there's a reason every single Android media source is reporting it as such. You can track every platform and at this point nearly all other devices have auto updated, and t mobile (and it's smaller carriers) users still have nothing. 

Also again, some users are also still stuck on November. T mobile clearly has an issue with updates and it'd help all of us to at least be real about that