Solved

Pixel 7 Security Update

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 will not receive  the January 2023 security update . Tried doing it manually and no luck, have heard it’s a T-Mobile issue but that's just hearsay. Heard you can just pull your sim out and put another one in and it will update haven’t tried that one yet.

icon

Best answer by JNavas 20 January 2023, 03:09

View original

102 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I love that answer because a service tech told me that T-Mobile doesn’t block any updates, another fricking lie she must be to far down the food chain to be told about the hold.

Well technically they don't block it. They send a request to Google. To stop the update to phones on the network. 

and this only happens if issues are spotted. not just because they feel like it.

Badge +2

T-Mobile does not appear to be holding up the update. I have an unlocked Pixel 6a purchased from Google, not T-Mobile. I removed my T-Mobile SIM, restarted the phone on Wi-Fi, and it still would not update. Thus, it's more likely that Google has paused updates, probably because of issues that have arisen.

T-Mobile does not appear to be holding up the update. I have an unlocked Pixel 6a purchased from Google, not T-Mobile. I removed my T-Mobile SIM, restarted the phone on Wi-Fi, and it still would not update. Thus, it's more likely that Google has paused updates, probably because of issues that have arisen.

Buddy everyone is able to pull the t mobile sim card and install one from another carrier (a step you seem to have skipped) and factory reset the phone (another step you seem to have skipped) and it updates lol. This also effects all phones connected to t mobile and connected networks so the fact that your phone is purchased straight from Google means nothing. They also didn't have a pause in the betas or pull the update for any other carrier worldwide, there's also nobody on other carriers who can't get the December update. 

T mobile did hold it up. Why do people keep coming to defend T mobile. Google doesn't pull updates from a single carrier. If Google pulls it, it's pulled for everyone. If it's only happening on one carrier, it's the carrier. 

Badge +2

No, without the SIM, T-Mobile is not in the update path. The connection is directly to Google over Wi-Fi and the Internet without T-Mobile. It’s Google that’s not providing the update. That might be due to a T-Mobile request, but it’s still Google doing the updates.

No, without the SIM, T-Mobile is not in the update path. The connection is directly to Google over Wi-Fi and the Internet without T-Mobile. It’s Google that’s not providing the update. That might be due to a T-Mobile request, but it’s still Google doing the updates.

Your phone doesn't lose all network data the second you pull the SIM. 

You can't even follow basic instructions to force the update but act like an expert in here. It's not Google LMFAO for the fiftieth time Google doesn't pull updates from one carrier. 

Oh yea t mobile has also confirmed they have it held to others here in this thread

"The updates might be held at t mobile request but it's title that does the updates" 

So if t mobile makes Google block it, we still call it a Google issue? 

Nah seriously all you guys defending this sound paid. Just making up weird reasons to take the blame off t mobile when nobody is asking for that. Nobody in this thread who's actually trying to get to a fix for their problem cares to sit here listening to randoms defend t mobile and not contribute. 

So again, please, to everyone, if you are just here to try to get people not to blame t mobile for what they're doing just save it. We don't care. Nobody cares. Y'all are just disrupting this forum coming in to defend a giant corporation for no reason when nobody asked. It's weird and annoying. 

Badge +2

Yes, because Google delivers updates, it’s a Google issue.

Has it not occurred to you that there are likely issues in the update that are unique to the T-Mobile network? Because if so, then Google would need to fix the issues and reissue the update, or skip updating until a good later update.

It’s more likely that T-Mobile reported issues to Google than that T-Mobile simply told Google not to update T-Mobile Pixel devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately once your phone is registered with a sim its tied to that carrier. Google wont update your phone. You'll either have to insert a different sim or factory reset with no sim.

Userlevel 1
Badge

"The updates might be held at t mobile request but it's title that does the updates" 

Nah seriously all you guys defending this sound paid. Just making up weird reasons to take the blame off t mobile when nobody is asking for that. Nobody in this thread who's actually trying to get to a fix for their problem cares to sit here listening to randoms defend t mobile and not contribute. 

So again, please, to everyone, if you are just here to try to get people not to blame t mobile for what they're doing just save it. We don't care. Nobody cares. Y'all are just disrupting this forum coming in to defend a giant corporation for no reason when nobody asked. It's weird and annoying. 

I agree but this is a tmo forum. So we should only expect some defending of tmo. I have been with tmo since 2003. Back when bring your own phone was something you had to ask about in the store. Just to get special pricing. Tmo is the better of the 3 by far.

But I’m 100 percent sure this block is at tmo request. And tmo requested it as the december update was going out. That's why some are stuck on november. So it couldn't be because of the supposed bluetooth bug. That didn't pop up until the January update. If this was a issue with network interference or e911 incompatibility. We would see bug issues on the android developer site. It would be a work in process to get it fixed. Its quite on the android developers forum. Just unrelated bug discussions in progres for february update

So that only leaves something behind the scenes. Something tmo and google are hashing it out. Its got to be something that the two cant agree on. I highly suspect something feature related. I keep saying I think tmo wants something removed or blocked?

We're just going to have to wait it out. Once we do get a update. I’m pretty sure it will be a specific android build for tmo. We can pick it apart then and look for whats different.

I agree but this is a tmo forum. So we should only expect some defending of tmo. I have been with tmo since 2003. Back when bring your own phone was something you had to ask about in the store. Just to get special pricing. Tmo is the better of the 3 by far.

But I’m 100 percent sure this block is at tmo request. And tmo requested it as the december update was going out. That's why some are stuck on november. So it couldn't be because of the supposed bluetooth bug. That didn't pop up until the January update. If this was a issue with network interference or e911 incompatibility. We would see bug issues on the android developer site. It would be a work in process to get it fixed. Its quite on the android developers forum. Just unrelated bug discussions in progres for february update

So that only leaves something behind the scenes. Something tmo and google are hashing it out. Its got to be something that the two cant agree on. I highly suspect something feature related. I keep saying I think tmo wants something removed or blocked?

We're just going to have to wait it out. Once we do get a update. I’m pretty sure it will be a specific android build for tmo. We can pick it apart then and look for whats different.

For what it's worth the beta is solid, and largely takes tmo out of the update process for real. I'm very happy I updated and have a fully featured build because I share the same suspicion

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For what it's worth the beta is solid, and largely takes tmo out of the update process for real. I'm very happy I updated and have a fully featured build because I share the same suspicion

I usually don't do the developers program till the 14 beta rolls out. Your security updates will be sporadic and updates won't be on the 5th from previous experience. Also if you decide to roll back the update your phone will reset to factory settings.

I usually enroll in June when it's a little more stable. Good luck and let us know how the beta is.

Badge +2

1. It’s more likely the time necessary to modify and fully test code, which is significant,
  2. It won’t be a specific T-Mo build for factory unlocked phones (like mine).
  3. It’s more likely a functional issue specific to the T-Mo network than something T-Mo wants removed or blocked.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Plus the silence speaks volumes. If Tmobile was protecting us or its network. You would think there would be a official response.”Hey our Tmo engineers found a issue with E911. Expect a slight delay while we work with google” Or “We noticed that your not getting your updates. Were working with google to get to the bottom of this” Something, anything its just silence.

Badge +2

Plus the silence speaks volumes. If Tmobile was protecting us or its network. You would think there would be a official response.”Hey our Tmo engineers found a issue with E911. Expect a slight delay while we work with google” Or “We noticed that your not getting your updates. Were working with google to get to the bottom of this” Something, anything its just silence.

• Not commenting on reworking a security update is normal. This is no big deal.
  • Disclosure is only necessary when there is a widespread problem, which isn’t the case here.

One consistent theme is, no one has definitive, accurate knowledge. There is a lot of speculation and opinions, and of course, I have my own. I do not think T-Mobile and Google would inhibit an update simply for giggles and grins. What would be the benefit? Yes, you can get around it, and a beta build seems to work, but why would you? Could it be a security issue, a problem with T-Mobile's new 1900 MHz rollout; again no one knows. People seem to be so demanding. Of course, I myself like updates, but I actually appreciate an update held if there is a issue with it. My Pixel 7 Pro is operating just fine. If I would fault Google or T-Mobile, I think a generic statement should have been released. But I am not going to lose sleep over it. It will be known in good time. There is no reason not to be kind to everyone. As I mentioned in the beginning, it is all speculation. Relax and have a great day! 

So I have Tmobile with an E-sim and it would not update.  So I plugged an ATT sim in from my work phone and disabled the Tmobile e-sim and did a manual update and it worked.

I feel it would be prudent for T-Mobile to release a statement as all the speculation is bad for the T-Mobile brand and Google's for that matter. I rely on my phone, so I hesitate to side load unless I understand the issue. I can wait, but this is not the customer service I expect.

Regards to all 

Userlevel 2
Badge

1. It’s more likely the time necessary to modify and fully test code, which is significant,
  2. It won’t be a specific T-Mo build for factory unlocked phones (like mine).
  3. It’s more likely a functional issue specific to the T-Mo network than something T-Mo wants removed or blocked.

The problem is there are countless of T-Mobile pixel 6 and 7 owners who haven't received the November update. Who's holding that back? If you opt into the QPR2 beta you'll receive the January 5th update including the spatial sound for Pixel Pro buds. If you're an AT&T customer you already have the entire January 5th update. You always have been able to opt out of a Beta except this one if you're carrier is TMobile. You should all check out Reddit and YouTube to find out who's stopping the update. 

So, I get that things happen and sometimes there is a delay. However, I don't get the lack of communication from T-Mobile and\or Google. Someone, somewhere knows something. And without communication, how will we know if it's just an issue with our phones? What if it turns out that some flag got set on our phones that tells Google's servers that our phones are up to date? We would have waisted a month waiting for them to fix something that isn't broken and they aren't working on...and we just needed to manual side-load the update to reset the flag. Within communication, there's no way to be sure we should wait or we should side load it. Very frustrating, IMO!

Could be a security issue. There was a major T Mobile data breach around 25 November 2022 (https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/20/23563825/tmobile-data-breach-api-customer-accounts-hacker-security). It probably took them a while to discover the breach, thus accounting for pulling the December update midstream.

They could be busy fixing the security infrastructure on their hardware and/or making sure the phone security updates don’t propagate/expose the flaw. 

No wonder they’re so close-mouthed...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Could be a security issue. There was a major T Mobile data breach around 25 November 2022 (https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/20/23563825/tmobile-data-breach-api-customer-accounts-hacker-security). It probably took them a while to discover the breach, thus accounting for pulling the December update midstream.

They could be busy fixing the security infrastructure on their hardware and/or making sure the phone security updates don’t propagate/expose the flaw. 

No wonder they’re so close-mouthed...

It has nothing to do with the security breach but more to due to Bluetooth connectivity. It's also occurring on the Google Fi network.

Doesn’t Google Fi also use T Mobile’s network, among others? Were there Bluetooth issues with the December update causing it to be pulled? I have that update installed and have  had no problems with either headphone or automobile Bluetooth connectivity….

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Doesn’t Google Fi also use T Mobile’s network, among others? Were there Bluetooth issues with the December update causing it to be pulled? I have that update installed and have  had no problems with either headphone or automobile Bluetooth connectivity….

Yes it does but if the data breach was causing the delay of the Pixel update don't you think every phone on the Tmobile network would have their updates delayed as well.

Yes it does but if the data breach was causing the delay of the Pixel update don't you think every phone on

Yes it does but if the data breach was causing the delay of the Pixel update don't you think every phone on the Tmobile network would have their updates delayed as well.

Very good point. At this late date in January let’s hope the February 2023 update will materialize for Pixel phones (although if it’s a single update it may be huge and complex)...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have a Pixel 6 with the December update I bought my wife a Pixel 7 in November that stuck on the November update. That phone replaced a Pixel 5a5g that's also stuck on the November update and it was purchased through Google while the other 2 were bought through Tmobile.

If you don't mind bugs enroll in the Google developer program, the updates are there but beware if you decide you don't like it and you roll back the OS it will wipe your phone.