Question

Good signal/bars but no network connection many times daily

Show first post

77 replies

Ugghh, same problem here. Four bars. 5G. Can’t stream music. This was the same problem I had about 5 months ago only at my job. Since that’s where I am 10 hours a day I needed a solution. My solution was to cancel just my line (my family stayed with T-Mobile, 5 ppl) and try Visible which used Verizon network. It worked great!  Better service then T-Mobile. So I decided to give T-Mobile another chance. Here I am 3 days into new service with T-Mobile and same issues. Gonna return this new phone and go back to Visible/Verizon.  I really wanted this to work as I’ve loved T-Mobile and their promos/perks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

did you attempt to change it to 4G instead of 5G in case its an issue on the 5G side of things?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

is it happening to you while connected to 5G, 4G or both? have you tried switching to 4G only to see if things improve or not? could be how far you are away from whatever 5G connection youre getting..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I can't speak for the ultra, but on a S21 in many areas, I've either disabled 5g , or disabled  n71 SA/ n71 NSA due to it being either saturated on SA or ‘the weakest link in a chain’ on NSA.  eg.  1Mbps on ‘auto 5g/4g/3g/2g’, and 60 on 4g/3g/2g.   if I went the route of  disabling n71, but leaving n41 enabled, I get 400Mbps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve seen many apps show the ‘no internet connection’ banner while apps are up, and service appears fine.  Similarly, ‘if’ (when) my phone ends up as base band 12/71 or 41 on LTE, the indicator will show LTE vs. 5G.  I’ve often ended up on B41 LTE (2CA 20MHz), which actually works quite well outdoors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you're willing to test the waters…to disable n71.  menus are slightly different on each Samsung model...this is from S21

*#2263#

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Lastly…

Then just hit your home button.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you're worried,  *#2263#

#8 select all bands

Then

#9 Apply band configuration

Userlevel 2

FWIW - Here is the response I received from T-Force when asking about the issue. The funny thing is, 5G coverage in my town is honestly pretty good with UC covering a good chunk of town. I don’t think lack of coverage is to blame and I am interested to know about this special iphone 12/13 network she referenced :) Realistically, it’s probably a N71/LTE blending issue.

“It's important to have all the details you need to know about our 5G service. I'm here to help! We have a new 5G service that we're prepping called stand alone 5G for the iphone 12-13 series. This will allow your phone to operate even if there is only 5G signal in the area. We currently don't have this service available in your area quite yet. We do have a 5g tower in your area and at the moment you should definitely be able to see 5g outdoors and in most homes (depending on your location) but the LTE signal in this area is quite a bit stronger at this time so it's likely your phone will opt for LTE for the best experience till we add additional 5G spectrum. To why I suggest on you turning off the 5g from your device till we launch this software. Our 5g network is still maturing and we look forward to providing more 5G coverage as our journey continues. You can always keep an eye on our network newsroom here: https://www.t-mobile.com/our-story/network-and-innovation to stay up to date with our integration plans. Meaning you will experience some issues with lagging, call drops, messages not sending nor receiving, data issues till we launch this new software to our iphone 12-13 series. I would suggest to turn off the auto 5g connect and connect to LTE/4g as the signal is much stronger. If you want to go ahead and give this a try after restart your device please”

4g don’t work with full signal, 5g don’t work with full signal and often switches to 4g automatically and don’t work.  The coverage map shows I’m in well within 5g high capacity coverage. Also want to mention before we had 5g my 4g lte worked flawlessly.

Badge

S21 ultra here too,  in Austin Texas and the service was working fine a few days ago.  The last 2 days,  all 5G had gone to sh*t and it's si hard to do anything if I'm not on wifi.  

The Support team are all trash,  give no real answers or help.  Help

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

since 5G is tanked have you tried switching the phone to 4G/3G instead to see if you regain usable signal for now at least until the 5G side is figured out? or is it affecting that side as well?

I was originally with Sprint but have been forced onto the T-Mobile network due to the merger. I usually went with Galaxy and LG phones but then made a switch to the One+ brand but now I have the Google Pixel 7. By all accounts, one of the newer 5G models so connectivity shouldn't be an issue IF THE NETWORK IS STABLE. Therein lies the problem... its never stable, no matter where Im at, or what Im trying to do, I can be sure my phone will suddenly stop responding to all networks EXCEPT WiFi...to a point where more often than not, if Im not using my own WiFi, the phone is basically useless. Never have I had such a powerful phone be incapable of the simplest connection requirements. Just a few minutes ago, while standing still watching a video, everything just dropped and the phone itself... basically taking 5 mins to reboot and find another 5G signal....but whats infuriating is that even when everything looks good and normal, I still cannot connect...I spend more time watching loading circles than actual anything else. Maybe its the Google, 5G combination that doesn't work here in my area...IDK what the deal is. BUT whats most aggravating js is that I cannot figure out how a $1000 phone that just a hair over 8 months old, barely works much less work stably, on anything but my home WiFi. 

T-Mobile...you guys really have some 'xplaining to do because your services suck and you're tech support is basically robots reading scripts who act like resetting your network settings and rebooting fixes everything...all while expecting me to make my monthly payments on time nonetheless. 

I just want service I can rely on even if most of the time...is that to freaking hard to ask for, for $120 a month...

Just a follow up, and hopefully I don't jinx it, but I haven't had a disconnect since turning off 5G. Sucks that I can't use 5G, but it's better than all the disconnecting.

Same problem with Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G. Switching to LTE does not always help. Use phone for business, and losing data service is costing me money! Have contacted T-Mobile support multiple times since December of 2021, and they do nothing. They seem to be reading from a book when they give you their response, and I don't think they really have anyone out there in the field who checks on whether the service actually works. Very close to changing carriers, as I cannot continue to lose money.

Badge

I find it happens in the vicinity of Ave U in Gravesend, Brooklyn. No one can hear me. It goes out. Unfortunately, it happens in my house and I can’t live this way since it is my only telephone. Anyone in that vicinity?

Yeah I'm done. Took my 6 lines to Verizon. Oh well, I tried T-Mobile. You broke my heart lol.

Had the exact same issue on a iPhone pro max 13. It turns out somehow the data package was turned off for the line. I still got a data connection for a few mins here and there when I restarted the phone or toggled airplane mode but it quickly disconnected. It took t mobile a while too figure it out and then turn data back on. Phone works perfectly normal now.

I am having the same issue in SD.  All members of my family have an iPhone 12 and all of us show 4 bars on the 5G network but we constantly are loosing connections with Apple Music, Maps, Podcasts, texting, to name just a few.  I have been sent new SIM cards from T-Mobile that were suppose to fix the issue and it did nothing.  I have tried switching to LTE but we have the same issue with LTE.  I am not even getting 1.0 Mbps upload speeds.  I wanted to love T-Mobile because the monthly charges were so much lower but I am going to be forced to switch back to Verizon because our phones are not even usable with T-Mobile.  Unfortunately,  all phones are locked until we pay out our obligation, which makes no sense since two of the phones were suppose to be free.   If T-Mobile cannot fulfil their obligation to provide service why am I obligated to payout my contract?  Frustrate in SD where the map shows 5G Ultra in the urban area I live in, but extremely slow speeds.

It looks like most of the folks having this issue (phone and/or home internet) are describing when the cell towers are overloaded with more connections then it can manage. The symptoms are:

• Strong signal but low or no data
  • Strong signal but dropped calls
  • Restarting your device gives you a brief moment when data works again only to lose it. This is caused by your restart putting your device back to top of the data queue momentarily.

I experience this a lot in both dense cities and remote areas. A good example is a vacation spot. Go during the week and no problems. Go during the weekends and your same phone from the same spot gets little to no data even though the signal strengths is the same as the week.

Unfortunately, the “fix” is for TMO to upgrade such towers and they are. However, they can only upgrade so many on a given day and nobody can tell you when your area will be upgraded. TMO want’s to add more capacity so they can bring in more customers. I’m sure the TMO exec is accurately aware that continued overloading will drive customers to other carriers.

First explanation I have received that makes some sense to me.  They grew too fast. 

Honestly it does sound like a device glitch on the iPhone side. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and running on the 5G in my area,  ever fall from 4 bars and still I get CB glitches. I have the T-Mobile 5G home internet and when I  run the wifi through my iPhone, Voila, internet is Super fast. 

I’m having the same issue with my S21 Ultra. I can be sitting in my living room and have 5G w/full bars and it will not allow me to use any apps or internet through chrome. States, Offline. Place it in Airplane mode and back off and it works again. What gives? OP were you able to figure out the issue?

this is what I have to do almost daily multiple times a day. My bars go out , internet stops working as well. I have the iPhone X which is 4glte only. Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet ?

I’m having the same issue with my S21 Ultra. I can be sitting in my living room and have 5G w/full bars and it will not allow me to use any apps or internet through chrome. States, Offline. Place it in Airplane mode and back off and it works again. What gives? OP were you able to figure out the issue?

this is what I have to do almost daily multiple times a day. My bars go out , internet stops working as well. Sometimes airplane mode will make it work again. But other times I have to restart my phone multiple times. This is ridiculous and annoying. I have the iPhone X which is 4glte only. Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet ?

Experiencing the same. Never had a problem at all with tmo for 5 years. Ive used the 5g home Internet box for about a year or so, and speeds often exceed 300mbps. I came home from work on 08/19/23 to find that the the wifi quit working for the first time ever. Went to Google it, and my phone's data didn't work either. It's now the 22nd, and it hasn't improved. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. The wifi box works for 10 minutes after a reset. The phones on my plan work for 10 mins after switching airplane mode on and off. The data loads perfect if you're on a phone call. The data works fine everywhere but my house. Got all the generic responses from cust support. The people in store couldn't help. Phone bill is paid. Came to this thread looking for answers, only found that out that I need to disable the 5g service that I pay out the *** for. 

*Sigh*

Still no fix? My service is always going on and out no matter where I am. Internet and bars will just disappear. Cycling airplane mode on/off sometimes works , other times I’ll have to restart my iPhone X multiple times. This phone doesn’t have 5G and I still have this issue so I don’t think it’s just 5G related. I think it’s something with T-Mobile. What I’ve been hearing lately is that these software updates we receive have bugs in them ti purposely cause issues so you upgrade to a new phone. I’ve used this from many ppl. I’m just really tired of dealing with this. This was happening wiht my previous iPhone as well , ordered a replacement iPhone X that still has the same issues. 

Hey guys! Good news! Tmobile upgrade my plan to Go5! Ain't that very facinating!

I wake up 5am daily, i listen to the Holy Mass with.my phone s22 android. Every early morning, there is very bad signal in my place, there is nothing else it shows blinking  LTE instead of 5G.  Although I still love Tmobile.