Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

Userlevel 1

Oh I completely understand that those charges/cost of doing business is ultimately paid by the customer! Right after I commented on this subject I got a call back from a supervisor and they are taking note of all calls which he told me is about 70% of the calls they're getting are people that are considering moving to other carriers. He told me directly that they're not on board with this decision either and they think that there is a very good chance that corporate May reverse this decision. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen. However I was just told that about 10 minutes ago. I also told the supervisor that I understand that a lot of other cell phone companies don't allow the discount unless you pay with your checking account. One of the good things about T-Mobile though was that they honored the whole grandfathered in agreement. Up until now. I agree that protections with a debit card are very similar to a credit card these days. However, the benefits that you can get with a credit card such as free insurance by paying your bill you're not going to get with your debit card. Then that leaves you having to pay $18 through them or another third party. I believe that's what it all comes down to, of course that's my own opinion! Hope you have a great day! 

I will be switching to Veizon. Love T-Mobile but credit cards are a cost of doing business. The management is stupid. How many customers will they lose for makng this decision.

I guss they don’t care. Have them send you a bill then you wirte a check and send in the payment. Has management caculated the labor cost if everyone did this?

Not smart!

I have been a T-Mobile customer for over 20 years, but there is no way I would provide them with direct access to my bank account. I’m sure that’s what they are counting on in order to remove the offered discount. Instead, I will be taking my business elsewhere, thanks for all the fish. 

Userlevel 1

Hey T-Mobile Community:

I'll be honest, I just received the email today and my discount is $40 so I was a little torn with the decision.

It's fair to say that debit card transaction fees are cheaper than credit card fees. It's also fair to say that your credit card company will back you before your bank will with a breach. And given all the breaches that they've had, I wouldn't put any trust in using a debit card or bank account with T-Mobile.

On a side note, a lot of people also have to weigh the option if the credit card they're using to pay their cell phone bill is covering their phones for insurance. I personally use my business credit card that's a MasterCard that covers all my phones which saves me over $50 a month in fees compared to what I have to pay for insurance via T-Mobile.

This is definitely not T-Mobile sole reason of switching the auto discount so I think everyone is right about them being cheap or having money issues. Their reason for saving fees is sad because it doesn't give flexibility to the customer, which was the most important thing to T-Mobile when the previous CEO was at the helm. 

T-Mobile is on the roll lately (insert sarcasm) with three very unpopular policy changes.  First was the Netflix debacle which isn't really their fault but certainly affecting their customers-- although somehow I still share an account with someone not in my household and I've never received a message which is possibly because I pay for premium but who knows and who cares.  I'll cross that bridge if they ever flag me-- but it really pisses me off to no end that as T-Mobile customers we can't get the same cheaper "extra person" charge like a regular customer can simply because of the third party payment system!   Netflix needs to update that completely outdated thinking process. Then TMo brass made the apparent recent change to *only* allow their top account (Go 5G or whatever) to the cushy phone deals, effectively screwing Magenta Max customers with a plan less than a year old & forcing them to upgrade their account just to take advantage of the promos.    Take a look at every single current phone deal terms and conditions if you don't believe me.

Finally, the most egregious and most likely to get them in the hot water...is a company with an outright TERRIBLE track record of data breaches forcing their customers to a debit or bank account transaction only. That's not going to fly with a lot of people including myself-- has this company ever heard of network security and how important it is?.   I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but you should be able to change to a debit card to satisfy this stupid requirement but just pay your account off prior so it doesn't draw anything at the time.  If that doesn't work, several sites are banding together to substitute the processing fee they're trying to save with a huge mailing fee for the penny pinching company by everyone changing their account bill to a paper version.  Finally, I've heard if you are persistent enough (threaten to jump ship?) the T-force people will give you at least some sort of credit  (couple months) on your bill to allow you to keep the credit card active.  But... I have a strong feeling this ridiculous policy is going to be rescinded cause it's already been delayed like 3 months...but we'll see what happens now that i finally see the "warning" on my next bill.   I know I'm going to be very vocal when it comes to the cycle it hits me on you can bet on that.

Original "uncarrier" CEO John Legere would never let any of this slide that's for sure... it's a travesty what's happened since he's left.

In case you wonder just how bad their security has been (IE pathetic!), here's a scary reminder!

Best of luck to everyone.

I am so disappointed with T-Mobile, and I fully understand that there is a cost to doing  business, but don’t tell to switch the way I do my AutoPay or lose a $40 per month credit. I have been paying with my American Express for years. There are a number of reasons, and I am not giving T-Mobile direct access to take money from my Checking Account or even supply my Debit Card…nope, not happening T-Mobile. I will take my 9 devices and move on, or back to AT&T. I am curious to see how many others will say adios to T-Mobile??

This sounds like a threat to me??

T-Mobile: ACTION NEEDED by 08/15/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving your $40.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account. To keep your discount, please visit t-mo.co/AutoPay23 to update your payment method by 08/15/2023.

T-Mobile is on the roll lately (insert sarcasm) with three very unpopular policy changes.  First was the Netflix debacle which isn't really their fault but certainly affecting their customers-- although somehow I still share an account with someone not in my household and I've never received a message which is possibly because I pay for premium but who knows and who cares.  I'll cross that bridge if they ever flag me-- but it really pisses me off to no end that as T-Mobile customers we can't get the same cheaper "extra person" charge like a regular customer can simply because of the third party payment system!   Netflix needs to update that completely outdated thinking process. Then TMo brass made the apparent recent change to *only* allow their top account (Go 5G or whatever) to the cushy phone deals, effectively screwing Magenta Max customers with a plan less than a year old & forcing them to upgrade their account just to take advantage of the promos.    Take a look at every single current phone deal terms and conditions if you don't believe me.

Finally, the most egregious and most likely to get them in the hot water...is a company with an outright TERRIBLE track record of data breaches forcing their customers to a debit or bank account transaction only. That's not going to fly with a lot of people including myself-- has this company ever heard of network security and how important it is?.   I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but you should be able to change to a debit card to satisfy this stupid requirement but just pay your account off prior so it doesn't draw anything at the time.  If that doesn't work, several sites are banding together to substitute the processing fee they're trying to save with a huge mailing fee for the penny pinching company by everyone changing their account bill to a paper version.  Finally, I've heard if you are persistent enough (threaten to jump ship?) the T-force people will give you at least some sort of credit  (couple months) on your bill to allow you to keep the credit card active.  But... I have a strong feeling this ridiculous policy is going to be rescinded cause it's already been delayed like 3 months...but we'll see what happens now that i finally see the "warning" on my next bill.   I know I'm going to be very vocal when it comes to the cycle it hits me on you can bet on that.

Original "uncarrier" CEO John Legere would never let any of this slide that's for sure... it's a travesty what's happened since he's left.

In case you wonder just how bad their security has been (IE pathetic!), here's a scary reminder!

Best of luck to everyone.

This is spot on! T-Mobile you should really re think your screwed up policies!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

They all get hacked and it's usually around the same time.

https://firewalltimes.com/verizon-data-breaches/

https://firewalltimes.com/att-data-breaches/

https://firewalltimes.com/t-mobile-data-breaches/

I was happy since I changed to T-Mobile...  Until Now.   It’s just common sense to NOT use your debit card for automated payments to prevent security issues AND a credit card gives me flexibility since my balance can vary a bit each month.   I never thought about leaving till this change.  Does anyone know if Mint requires a debit card or bank account?   

In the meantime, here’s a hint I use.   I opened a secondary checking account when I was in my 20’s.   I only use it to pay bills through the bank’s online payment service or automated bill payments where I didn’t have much choice.  I do not have a debit card linked to it (yeah, the banker looked at me funny until I explained what I was doing) so there’s no risk of a stolen debit card emptying the account.  Each pay period, I move the money I need over for bills to it.  Other than a minimum I keep in there to prevent any fees, that’s it. 

Userlevel 1

@gramps28 why the constant defense of TM?  They don’t “all” get hacked.  No wireless carrier has been hacked the way TM has.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I was happy since I changed to T-Mobile...  Until Now.   It’s just common sense to NOT use your debit card for automated payments to prevent security issues AND a credit card gives me flexibility since my balance can vary a bit each month.   I never thought about leaving till this change.  Does anyone know if Mint requires a debit card or bank account?   

In the meantime, here’s a hint I use.   I opened a secondary checking account when I was in my 20’s.   I only use it to pay bills through the bank’s online payment service or automated bill payments where I didn’t have much choice.  I do not have a debit card linked to it (yeah, the banker looked at me funny until I explained what I was doing) so there’s no risk of a stolen debit card emptying the account.  Each pay period, I move the money I need over for bills to it.  Other than a minimum I keep in there to prevent any fees, that’s it. 

Tmobile is in the process of buying Mint mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@gramps28 why the constant defense of TM?  They don’t “all” get hacked.  No wireless carrier has been hacked the way TM has.

Just stating facts. They all do get hacked. And some of those hacks for all three were employees hacking other employees emails to get access to unlock codes to sell.

cant just toss TMO under the bus when it comes to the hacking without pointing out that ATT and V also got hacked..

Right, but give me the choice to pay using a method that doesn’t jeopardize all my personal money. 🫤

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Either approach poses risks but I’ve found the debit card to be less risky in my case. In the case of auto paying by giving out your bank account info and the bank routing number you might notice that’s all the information required to pay via ACH anywhere online - if the info is released into the wild it becomes just as much a security issue. In fact those advocating paying by check are exposing their bank account and routing information in one of the most insecure ways - right at the bottom of the check in plain sight of any bad actor.

In my case, the debit card for the bank is issued by Visa and carries the same fraud protection as any credit card does. At the same time there are a host of card controls that I have control over not to mention real time alerts. With a simple phone call or online I can shut that card down immediately and stop any fraudulent debit before it hits at the close of business.  At the same time you want to turn overdraft protection off and yes I keep only a minimum balance in that secondary account at any time. In my case the debit card is ust common sense due to the extended card controls I can utilize vs automatic payments from the bank account itself. Outside of alerts, the bank account itself has no extended controls.

The approach works but only if you actively monitor alerts that you might receive. Which is better for you depends on your bank account  and debit card terms. Even with a credit card promptly disputing fraudulent charges is necessary these days. Everybody’s circumstances will differ. The question is what are you going to do to minimize damages when the stuff inevitably hits the fan regardless of whether it’s TMO or someone else.

Credit card rewards and benefits are a different issue, but my homeowners insurance provides electronic device protection far beyond just cellphones.

Not defending TMO , just offering some alternative approaches.

This is so stupid, who in the hell provides their bank account number to company that got hacked and we had to change our credit card numbers, not changing my bank account number for their stupid security system. 

I guess when the new iPhone comes out in a few months, will just change carrier and get a new phone somewhere else. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

cant just toss TMO under the bus when it comes to the hacking without pointing out that ATT and V also got hacked..

Right, but give me the choice to pay using a method that doesn’t jeopardize all my personal money. 🫤

fireguy_6364 has 4528 comments out here schilling for T-Mobile every convoluted way possible.
I'm spinning T-Mobile off right now, down to one phone on plan and they say my bill will be $105 per month plus tax. Maybe not updated since last phone dropped but I'm glad to leave. This is a clear money grab (potential billions) and their lack of their security concerns of customer bank information with all their (recent hacks 37Million+ accounts). I’ll let the Germans keep their Service. There a better American company plans to choose from.

Be wary of giving out debit card info. It is a direct link to your checking account. If Tmobile gets hacked, your entire checking account can be wiped out. When Home Depot was hacked years ago, our contractor had paid for his supplies with his debit card. The BIG bank that the card was thru would not reimburse him and kept directing him back to Home Depot. HD would then direct him back to the bank. It was 10K worth of his money gone. Even tho the financial institution is supposed to be responsible for any fraud on both your CC and your Debit Card, you will feel much more pain if it’s on your Debit. This will mean that you won’t have any money in your checking account to pay your other bills. Then you will have to fight the bank to get the money recovered. Also will have to deal with all the other things that may have come back with no payment since there was no money in your checking account.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just stating facts. They all do get hacked. And some of those hacks for all three were employees hacking other employees emails to get access to unlock codes to sell.

Ridiculous and illogical argument by another cheerleader and possible T-Mobile commenter with 6,651 replies out here. So your argument, It happens to all of them so there is nothing wrong with T-Mobile forcing users to give up their banking information or jacking your rates by 10% per phone, four times Credit Card fees. Sure, that's how you define integrity on their part, right? IMO everyone should bail on the T-Mobile German owned service. Find an American carrier. T-Mobile clearly don’t give a crap about Americans banking security and think them dumb enough to submit to this ultimatum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Ridiculous and illogical argument by another cheerleader and possible T-Mobile commenter with 6,651 replies out here. So your argument, It happens to all of them so there is nothing wrong with T-Mobile forcing users to give up their banking information or jacking your rates by 10% per phone, four times Credit Card fees. Sure, that's how you define integrity on their part, right? IMO everyone should bail on the T-Mobile German owned service. Find an American carrier. T-Mobile clearly don’t give a crap about Americans banking security and think them dumb enough to submit to this ultimatum.

Call me what you want but I started a thread about this 4 months ago.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/auto-pay-with-credit-cards-ends-49144

And when I make a post that people don't like they automatically think I work for Tmobile.

Plus it not a ridiculous argument do some research.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/man-hacked-t-mobile-employees-to-unlock-cell-phones-rake-in-25-million

https://www.foxla.com/news/fox-11-tracks-down-verizon-employee-accused-of-taking-bribes-from-sim-swap-hackers

Userlevel 2
Badge

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/auto-pay-with-credit-cards-ends-49144

And when I make a post that people don't like they automatically think I work for Tmobile.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/man-hacked-t-mobile-employees-to-unlock-cell-phones-rake-in-25-million

https://www.foxla.com/news/fox-11-tracks-down-verizon-employee-accused-of-taking-bribes-from-sim-swap-hackers

Clearly it’s a waste trying to discuss logic with you. Logic of Gramps28, Since other carriers have also been hacked, T-Mobile should further jeopardize the customers banking security by eliminating Credit Card protections and require their banking information now be available during all future hacks. It’s not only illogical and ridiculous, it’s hilarious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Clearly it’s a waste trying to discuss logic with you. Logic of Gramps28, Since other carriers have also been hacked, T-Mobile should further jeopardize the customers banking security by eliminating Credit Card protections and require their banking information now be available during all future hacks. It’s not only illogical and ridiculous, it’s hilarious.

If you read my original post about the change to autopay it's basically what I said four months ago..

I did some research into Verizon but saw that they require bank information for autopay discount unless you used a Verizon credit card. Plans were quite a bit more.

I'm not an advocate of ever using your debit card on the internet and I can't believe people do use it.

If this was about credit card fees T-mobile would stop accepting credit cards all together. You can still use credit cards to pay your bill just not on auto pay. This is T-mobile realizing that a lot of users don’t buy T-mobile’s phone insurance because they use their credit card’s phone protection perk. T-mobile sees this as a way for them to push more people to the T-mobile Protection 360 plan at $7/mo.

This is a case of profits over customer. A company can choose whether or not to implement a policy to squeeze more revenue by penalizing the customer. They don’t have to but chose to. Shady and greedy l but not illegal. I’ll be looking into taking my business elsewhere. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mint allows you to pay with a credit card. They are also being acquired by T-Mobile so who knows the future. They have the cheapest plans that are prepaid at the moment but Visible(by Verizon) has a good plan with better overall 4G coverage. Another player out there is US Mobile which uses both Verizon and T-Mobile towers. Good luck.

Credit card companies charge a fee for using your card but they sure as hell don’t charge $20.