Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

If this was about credit card fees T-mobile would stop accepting credit cards all together. You can still use credit cards to pay your bill just not on auto pay.

It appears you are confirming that you can no longer use credit cards on autopay, discount or not.

I recently tried to update my auto-pay, and was unable to. Apparently, T-Mobile no longer takes credit cards and won’t take my new card ...

Userlevel 1

In a chat conversation today with “Jivy”:

Me: Why is my credit card no longer eligible for the autopay discount?

Jivy: To be honest with you that one of the reason why the credit card is not eligible for a Autopay discount is because when you use the debit card it will make sure that you have funds on your account and will avoid any back out payment that might cause you a draft fees.

Me: Draft fees don't apply to credit cards, only debit cards.

Jivy: We get your point. Also we want to continue to provide customer with the best value in wireless through our Autopay Discount program and the best way to keep this program is to get you to use either a bank account or debit card for autopay. I understand that you may still prefer to use your Credit card as a payment method, and I can help you work through your options. However, I strongly recommend that we switch you over to an eligible payment method so you can keep the discount. Is this something you'd like me to help you with ?

Me: The best way for ME is to use my credit card, and especially since T-Mobile has suffered not one but MULTIPLE data breeches, two just this year! Tell me again why I should entrust my bank account information to T-Mobile?

Jivy: I totally understand you on that. And as part of T-Mobile my apology for this kind of inconvenience. Our systems and policies prevented the most sensitive types of customer information from being accessed, and as a result, customer accounts and finances should not be put at risk by this event. If you prefer, you can still use your credit card to pay your bill, however it won't be eligible for the AutoPay discount.

So basically, a fancy-worded “go f*** yourself” from T-Mobile.

Userlevel 1

Very unhappy with this change as will, Tmobile should not be considering this! I'll have to look at another moblie provider as will. HATE THIS CHANGE!!!

Userlevel 3

In a chat conversation today with “Jivy”:

Me: Why is my credit card no longer eligible for the autopay discount?

Jivy: To be honest with you that one of the reason why the credit card is not eligible for a Autopay discount is because when you use the debit card it will make sure that you have funds on your account and will avoid any back out payment that might cause you a draft fees.

Me: Draft fees don't apply to credit cards, only debit cards.

Jivy: We get your point. Also we want to continue to provide customer with the best value in wireless through our Autopay Discount program and the best way to keep this program is to get you to use either a bank account or debit card for autopay. I understand that you may still prefer to use your Credit card as a payment method, and I can help you work through your options. However, I strongly recommend that we switch you over to an eligible payment method so you can keep the discount. Is this something you'd like me to help you with ?

Me: The best way for ME is to use my credit card, and especially since T-Mobile has suffered not one but MULTIPLE data breeches, two just this year! Tell me again why I should entrust my bank account information to T-Mobile?

Jivy: I totally understand you on that. And as part of T-Mobile my apology for this kind of inconvenience. Our systems and policies prevented the most sensitive types of customer information from being accessed, and as a result, customer accounts and finances should not be put at risk by this event. If you prefer, you can still use your credit card to pay your bill, however it won't be eligible for the AutoPay discount.

So basically, a fancy-worded “go f*** yourself” from T-Mobile.

This chat with “Jivy” is great example of how TMO “experts” -- particularly the ones offshore -- have ZERO understanding of the security implications of this change.  They offer silly scripted apologies but will never promise any restitution if something bad happens.                                   

The key point is that if your funds are mistakenly or fraudulently withdrawn from your bank account using a debit card or account number, the funds may remain unavailable for days or weeks.  I just read about a couple who had their entire bank account drained while on vacation.  They eventually got their money back but the vacation was ruined. Before going along with TMO’s latest “autopay condition,” ask your bank about your protections if TMO has (another?) data hack.

T-mobile has started “annoying” me since the coverage area quality got worse maybe a year ago, yet I was too busy to bother changing carriers.  Now that they’ve wrecked their auto-pay business with removing credit cards… I’m not going to give them my real bank account info for them to take out as much as they want.  Temporarily I’m using those cheap savings accounts and pushing $ into that… But that in itself is upsetting due to the fact that they are dictating how everyone pays for the service to get a discount.  Ever heard the expression “the customer is always right?  They don’t think so.   I’m shopping for a new carrier.  I’ve been with T-mobile since 2013.  It was a decent 10 years but they got too big (and greedy) and seemingly don’t care about their customers anymore.

Userlevel 3

If this was about credit card fees T-mobile would stop accepting credit cards all together. You can still use credit cards to pay your bill just not on auto pay.

It appears you are confirming that you can no longer use credit cards on autopay, discount or not.

I recently tried to update my auto-pay, and was unable to. Apparently, T-Mobile no longer takes credit cards and won’t take my new card ...

Just look at it as a poorly disguised price increase on your plan that wasn’t supposed to change.  If TMO just wanted to compensate for credit card fees, they could have simply let customers keep their autopay discounts and pay a small credit card convenience fee of 2 or 3 dollars.  Lots of companies and state agencies do this.  The “use your debit card or checking account number” ploy is inexcusable and full of risks.

Userlevel 3

T-mobile has started “annoying” me since the coverage area quality got worse maybe a year ago, yet I was too busy to bother changing carriers.  Now that they’ve wrecked their auto-pay business with removing credit cards… I’m not going to give them my real bank account info for them to take out as much as they want.  Temporarily I’m using those cheap savings accounts and pushing $ into that… But that in itself is upsetting due to the fact that they are dictating how everyone pays for the service to get a discount.  Ever heard the expression “the customer is always right?  They don’t think so.   I’m shopping for a new carrier.  I’ve been with T-mobile since 2013.  It was a decent 10 years but they got too big (and greedy) and seemingly don’t care about their customers anymore.

Be careful.  Any time your bank account -- even a cheap savings account used just for autopay -- is overdrawn, you may be charged a fee by your bank and your credit rating may be affected.

I started with Sprint in 2003; stayed after the buyout with TMobile. So a loyal customer for 20 years and I think I’m done as soon as my phone contract is finished in 6 months. I have been having connectivity problems in my home since October 2022 (tower upgrade problems) and TMobile said those would be corrected in 4th quarter of ‘23-yes you read that right 15 months. I researched all the other major phone carriers and ALL of them are having similar problems in my area with upgrading to 5G, so I stayed. I am also frustrated that every time I have called customer service I get a foreign country (Philippines) and not only can I not understand the agent very well but they cannot understand me because they are unable to answer basic questions. All I hear is “I’m sorry you are having this issue” repeated numerous times. I have told them I do not want an apology, please stop apologizing and fix the problem. Unfortunately, they are unable to fix the problem and I have to go to the TMobile store and waste a lot of time there. Now, I don’t bother to call customer service-just head over to the strip mall store and wait in line. This is a game changer! I will not give this company access to my debit or bank account. Too many security breaches, it’s not worth the $10 discount to put my bank account at risk.

2 data breaches in 2023 and 7 total since 2018. T-Moible thinks I’d even consider giving them my banking information? Not a chance. Time to switch carriers. 

Userlevel 1

T-Mobile needs to reconsider their auto pay change from credit card to bank account, especially with the security breach they have been subject to.  Also I will loose my phones insurance coverage provided by the credit card company.  

Been with T Mobile for over 7 years,  this payment change needs to be reversed.😡

Badge

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

Right…  So, the credit card company charge (which is at MOST 3% although for a large company like TMobile it would more than likely be closer to 2%) on a line which costs around $25, would be $.75.  So, they will be removing a $10 benefit because they are out $.75.  Suuuuure, it’s the Credit card companies fault, surely not TMobile.

Userlevel 3

I texted 611 last night and politely explained that I did not want to entrust sensitive bank account data to TMo and, if they could not figure out a way for me to keep my autopay discount (I have had 5 lines for 12 years) I am preparing to port my numbers to ATT.   I really thought they would send me directions on how to leave TMo.  But I was wrong.   They proposed an acceptable alternative to me. I’m not going to explain it here because it was a bit complicated.  I think TMo management may be hearing the outcry from customers.   Others may wish to contact 611 by text.  Don’t call them.  You will need to start with a short clear statement of your concern to get past the bot agent and be queued to a real person.   It will take several minutes.   Hope this helps.  

I have the same issue. I don’t know how T-Mobile has the audacity to expect customers to use their bank account or debit card instead of a credit card in order to keep their AutoPay discount! Their systems have been hacked TWICE in recent years! Are they going to give back customers all of the money in their account if their systems get hacked again and this time empties out the customer’s bank accounts?

If their excuse is the fees that banks charge for credit cards, here’s a news flash...It’s a cost of doing business! Perhaps T-Mobile should negotiate a better rate with the banks for credit card transactions rather than discontinue the AutoPay Discount for their loyal customers!

Time to look for another carrier. My previous carrier has been bombarding me with promotions to come back.

T-Mobile has had data breaches in the past.   Giving them your bank account or debit card for payments is a horrible idea.   On the next data breach, hackers will have direct access to your bank accounts.

This is a big “NO” for me make we want to look someone else for my phone service.

I texted 611 last night and politely explained that I did not want to entrust sensitive bank account data to TMo and, if they could not figure out a way for me to keep my autopay discount (I have had 5 lines for 12 years) I am preparing to port my numbers to ATT.   I really thought they would send me directions on how to leave TMo.  But I was wrong.   They proposed an acceptable alternative to me. I’m not going to explain it here because it was a bit complicated.  I think TMo management may be hearing the outcry from customers.   Others may wish to contact 611 by text.  Don’t call them.  You will need to start with a short clear statement of your concern to get past the bot agent and be queued to a real person.   It will take several minutes.   Hope this helps.  

I tried this and was told that I don’t have any other options (my request for other options was denied by management).  I’ve been bombarded by requests from AT&T and Verizon.  Time to start looking in a different direction.

I just called my credit union to ask a question about a what-if hack scenario and they advised that if there was a hack, it would take up to 45 days to get my money back.  This change does not give me piece of mind at all.

Userlevel 1

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

But unfortunately  T Mobile does NOT have a track record of security their customers PII (Personal Identfying Information) along with any banking account data.

November 2019 - 1 Million Pre-Paid customers had their data stolen

March 2020 - Another hacking in which T Mobile did not disclose the number of affected customers

August 2020 - 2 Million customers had their data stolen

December 2020 - 200,000 customer had their data stolen

August 2021 - 40 Million customers had their data stolen

January 2023 - 37 Million customers had their data stolen

April 2023 - 836 customers had their data stolen

That is 7 breaches of data in the last 4 years.

This information can be found easily on the Firewall Times website.

Furthermore, in reviewing the company’s Annual statements and a continued search on the web, they do not have any SOC 2 Reports (System and Organizational Controls)  These report would indicate the vetting of their own security systems as well as any third parties that they would enter into agreements with.  Someone in the Corporate Compliance and Audit department is not doing the due diligence in ensuring their internal systems and controls could handle data integrity losses.

With all said above, it is not worth the $60 savings annually that I would receive as my bank accounts and the hassle of dealing with lost personal information is worth more than that.  They can send me a paper bill for me to pay them.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I tried this and was told that I don’t have any other options (my request for other options was denied by management).  I’ve been bombarded by requests from AT&T and Verizon.  Time to start looking in a different direction.

Good move Tarm, I’ve also switched.

I too do not like providing t-mobile with Bank information electronically. The cost that credit cards charge is nowhere near the extra $25 / $30 being charged.  It’s more like $2.00 or less. So why not just add that $2.00 fee which credits cards charge. If that is not possible, what guarantee, and safety protection does t-mobile provide since they have been hacked by 3rd party hackers before? which is mentioned earlier in this thread. Is there a liability insurance that t-mobile can provide to all of us insuring our accounts will not be compromised?

I understand a company wanting to cut costs but a company needs to serve the customers with the best possible approach. Deciding to be a company brings certain responsibilities and expenses. Serving the customer and allowing customers to pay for that service with acceptable forms of payment, is one of those responsibilities. Credit cards are used worldwide in many purchases. Banks charge fees, fact. Companies should not limit their service because of the costs of operating the business. Linking to a bank opens up security vulnerabilities to the customer. Yes credit card information can be compromised too but it is one more layer of security to the customer’s bank. Don’t take away a discount that has been in place since many of us signed up. T-Mobile should allow paying by credit card with a discount. If nothing else, they could deduct the credit card fee from the discount. This is unfair to the customers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

AT&T is now joining the bandwagon of reducing the discount using a credit card on autopay.

https://www.att.com/autopayinfo

What to know

We’re reducing the monthly discount for accounts enrolled in AutoPay and paperless billing for wireless accounts that use a credit card. The discount will decrease from $10 to $5 off per phone line.

You’ll see the change starting on your October 2023 bill if you continue using a credit card as your payment type.

I don't like this, because the credit card has phone insurance covering theft and accidental damage

They said only you can make changes to your plan. Verizon has better prices even before the $20 hit for paying with a credit card.  First bill I see with the $20, I will drop T-Mobile.

Tmobile your move is not good, paying with debt card or bank account. You already know, your system was hacked previously many times. Rethink about this move. 

I use my credit card because if I use it it covers damage or loss. When my phones get paid for I am changing to another provider. Lots of bait and switch already occurred