Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

This change comes while the CEO made $22,610,659 in 2021 and all the execs of T-mobile make well into the millions of dollars. I guess they need a little more because you know the money they “save” from this change won’t be boosting any pay for the customer service reps or anyone else actually doing the day-to-day (including those monitoring these messages). So disappointed and will be searching for a new carrier after 20 years - starting out with Nextel/Sprint/T-Mobile. 

Userlevel 1

T-mobile community,

Although we are all possibly looking for a new carrier, keep in mind that the discount we are losing was also possible with the paperless billing option. 

I just switched my billing to a detailed summary statement that's doesn't cost anything as opposed to requesting a fully detailed bill. 

I say let's leave them a nice parting gift and all switch to a paper bill. Let's give them the subtle middle finger on our way out the door and cost them a little coin for a troubles of having to write our frustrations about their lack of loyalty to their customers on this website! 

Credit card fees are 1.95% - so taking away a $5/line benefit unless one turns over bank details (in my case $30 per month) is a poor economic decision.  If it is the fees that they want, charge me 1.95% per month to pay by credit card.  T-Mobile - this is a PRICE HIKE and one of about 15%!  Don’t candy coat it any other way.  This is frustrating as credit cards provide free insurance for phones and other devices - that is worth more than the $30 discount.  Just a very sneaky and poor business decision to make customers pay more $ (or expose their bank info and lose other benefits from credit card companies!).  BAD MOVE T-MOBILE!!

$15.00 extra a month….. I will be leaving T-Mobile as soon as my phones are paid off! Which is gonna cost me $150.00 more than it would have before this B.S! I’m done with T-Mobile scam artists! Go F yourself’s! Done!!!!!

How we stop this insanity? T-Mobile, listen to your customers!

Userlevel 1

cant just toss TMO under the bus when it comes to the hacking without pointing out that ATT and V also got hacked..

Yes, I can. They are now demanding direct access to my BANK ACCOUNT and if the wankers don’t take that seriously my account is in the Dark Web and my money gets sucked out. How about instead saying I would only get a $8 discount instead of $10???????? That would cover the full 3%, “My CFO is incompent” range! I would be surprise if T-Mobile pays over 1.3%!!! If they did, Shareholders should demand the CFO is terminated immediately!!! So knock it down to a $9 discount and that makes them money. So for the love of $1.15 they want me to risk giving a KNOWN SECURITY INCOMPETENT direct access to my bank account with NO chance recover of funds.

Nope, I will take the paper route and they can eat that cost which bigger than $10!

Userlevel 1

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.

They could easily take a $1 off. Assuming T-Mobile’s CFO has the competency of a just graduating MBA. I as a small business owner pay on 1.75% through my provider and several others are close… So a company like T-Mobile? Makes you wonder if they want access to grab money in a scam. This has been done before, so it is not out of the realm of possibility. The worst part is if you get money stolen because of a leak when you give you numbers yourself, You have NO protection or ability to recover! No, I will start looking around. For now, it’s paper for T-Mobile that will cost them FAR more then the $10!

Userlevel 1

Just turned autopay off. No one gets direct access to my bank account. That info gets on the dark web… and we know T-Mobile like many companies have had HUGE breaches… and you can get wiped out with NO recourse for recovery! I cannot believe that T-Mobile pays much over 1.25% and that would be a reduction of $1.18 for the use of a credit card. BUT since autopay is a HUGE lowering of costs over paper bills and delays in payment, why are they crabbing? I am NOT going to give T-Mobile direct access to my bank account and my best advice is for everyone to turn autopay off and let them bleed then wake up to reality. Got to your account, On the right hand side is “set up autopay” click. once that page is up you will see Autopay is on. Click on it to turn it off. That’s it. You can now pay online or on your phone once you get that paper bill.

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

I’m looking into shifting to US mobile. 3 phones for $35 each and comes with a perk of your choosing. For example free Netflix 

Just so everyone can see how many data breaches T-Mobile has had 

Userlevel 1

T-mobile is deaf to this feedback.  The only feedback that they will really care about is when customers start moving to other carriers.  Don’t just consider VZ & AT&T as alternatives.  There are MANY other virtual carriers (MVNOs) to choose from.  Ting and Consumer Cellular consistently are rarely highly by Consumer Reports.

I had 7 lines with T-Mobile.  I cancelled my Apple Watch line today and will cancel the kids lines as soon as the bill credits towards their phones are gone.  Ultimately I will end up with no more than 2 mobile lines on T-Mobile plus the 5G internet at my aunt’s cottage.

Way to go TM suits, you took someone who was a RAVING FAN, and caused them to ultimately drop 4 of 7 lines.

For how long now, ever since I have been a customer, never once late and always in full. Now you have the ordacity to ask me for my debit card number or do a bank draft. Long, long ago I learned about using debit cards and paid for someone to go on an inter-continental vacation and the fact I had to contact the bank from an overseas location and wait for the paperwork to go back and forth I wasn’t even able to challenge it with the bank. 

With the great track record that T mobile has on security, this is a no brainer! Literally no brains, if my bank account has any issues stemming from this move I will not just cancel my service, I will sue or join any class action lawsuit that follows this very risky proposition.

I swear T-Mobile is getting more and more money hungry. Someone said switching service. I hear AT&T has some deals going on! T-Mobile and their corporate are money hungry SCUMS for this!!! I hope someone in the office shows you how much we HATE you and your money hungry ethics. Spreading the word on T-Mobile ASAP. Word of mouth is powerful! People use your words to spread to everyone about how many times T-Mobile has been hacked and data stolen but want us to give them our information. Someone up the food chain is more than likely assisting with the data breach as it happens WAYYYYYY too often. So before giving them that data think twice!

The CFO has to report the monthly EBITA to the CEO, and obviously the EBITA doesn’t look good, and the CFO’s job is probably on the line.  All this does is line their golden pockets more so, and the bite is on the consumer, as usual.  #CORPORATEGREED

T-Mobile is affiliated (I suspect they actually own the bank, likely through their parent company) with some bank, you may rest assured that they are getting a very good rate on the credit card discount.

One of the inducements for me to use T-Mobile was the discount they offered and now they are taking that away. They are changing the terms and conditions of their deals with their customers ex post facto.

As individuals we are powerless in the short run and we will be forced to comply with these lying lowlife reptiles.  In the longer run we may abandon these sobs for other carriers but it is my hope that some law firm sues them in such way as to make them notorious for bad faith dealings with their customers as their modus operandi.

In the current competitive environment they can’t openly raise prices, this is their lowlife means to screw their customers. 

Why not just deduct the cost of the transaction from the $20.00 savings? 

This is not a good solution.  There is much more protection for the customer when paying by credit card in the event T-Mobile is hacked.  This change indicates that T-Mobile really doesn’t care about their customers. We do do not like this change at all.

UN-CARRIER no longer, now just acting like one of the other big cellular companies.  Oh wait no your not, your worse, because AT&T and VZW honor Autopay discounts with credit cards because they understand it helps keep their customers protected.  I am looking for a new carrier that will do what they say and say what they do!!!  Goodbye Big Pink!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

UN-CARRIER no longer, now just acting like one of the other big cellular companies.  Oh wait no your not, your worse, because AT&T and VZW honor Autopay discounts with credit cards because they understand it helps keep their customers protected.  I am looking for a new carrier that will do what they say and say what they do!!!  Goodbye Big Pink!!! 

VZW does not allow discounts for using a CC card unless its their OWN CC card..

from the VZW forums

Re: Want to sign up for paperless billing
vzw_customer_support
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@JimmyMac53 ,

We're sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble, but let's find out a bit more on this. You would be set to paper-free billing by default, but if you changed that to where a physical bill is sent out each month, please check out this link for steps on turning on paper-free option: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-205735/ . You can always access and view a digital version of the last 12 months of billing statements through My Verizon. Please keep in mind that you don't get a discount just with paper-free billing, as you must also be enrolled in Auto Pay with either a debit card or a bank account. If you are using a credit card for Auto Pay, it's not going to give you a discount through us, unless it's the Verizon VISA card. Please check the same link I had shared for steps on managing your Auto Pay. 

-Russell

View solution in original post

Userlevel 1

I just received a text notice of the discount terms and highly discouraged by such action and would have liked to know about the change sooner. My credit company lets me know if there are changes in reoccurring billing, this does not happen with banks. My friends and family were fed up with billing issues like extra charges and changing bills and so forth ... most of them ended up changing providers.

It is not correct to say banks don’t send alerts on Debit cards.  It is correct to say it is not the default (nor is it for credit cards) but generally you can setup alerts for many things.   I get alert for any debit card use and a plethora of other things based on the settings at my bank.

Of course I’m still not going to give my Debit or Bank account number to T-Mobile but did want to point out what you wrote had that one bit of misinformation in it

Userlevel 1

$5.00 at 3% = 15 cents. And this is not a new charge, T-Mobile has been paying that CC processing fee since inception of this program. I think there is something else going on. 

If you're plan is $100 the cost to process it at 3% is $3.  The $5 autopay fee discount isn't what's processed it the plan total.

For one subscriber $3 may not be much but with thousands or millions it adds up.  I still think they should eat the cost or even reduce the discount if it is really costing them more for credit card fees than debit rather than eliminating it.

I once worked a job where I encouraged a customer doing a 2000 site rollout to use external modems but they wanted to use internal because the hardware vendor was going to charge $6/month extra on support contract for external vs internal.  Although I understood the math of the situation I strongly suggested they should be calculating in the cost of having to take down their site central servers in a reboot because that was the only way to reset an internal modem as opposed to simply resetting the external modem.

T-mobile should be calculating the cost of lost goodwill and loss of customers rather than just the difference (if any) between debit and credit card fees they pay.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I once worked a job where I encouraged a customer doing a 2000 site rollout to use external modems but they wanted to use internal because the hardware vendor was going to charge $6/month extra on support contract for external vs internal.  Although I understood the math of the situation I strongly suggested they should be calculating in the cost of having to take down their site central servers in a reboot because that was the only way to reset an internal modem as opposed to simply resetting the external modem.

T-mobile should be calculating the cost of lost goodwill and loss of customers rather than just the difference (if any) between debit and credit card fees they pay.

Really like your tech analogy.  Companies (and their bean counters) sometimes don’t see the complete picture, but probably T-Mobile has considered the potential loss of customers, and calculated that the additional $5 gained from each line will more than make up the loss.

I’ve been a loyal customer with 4 lines.

With all the data breaches, there is no way I’m going to provide my bank or debit card (linked to a bank account).  

Instead of forcing customers to do this, they could have partner with Visa and brand their own credit card.  

They could have also grandfathered in customers that have been with T-Mobile for lets say 2 years or more.
Unfortunately, this is going to force me to go to another provider, most likely Verizon. 

This is not a great way to keep customers.  

My family will be switching to someone else. Not going to use my debit card or bank account info especially since a T Mobile employee had stolen my credit card number. I was able to get the money back since it was the credit company's money not my own... With a debit card it will be impossible to get the money back if the debit card number gets stolen since it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card... So since my info was already stolen once by these idiots we will be switching to another company now.. This is what happens when you screw over your customers.... It's insane... And T Mobile had 3 data breaches already... 

Mint Mobile here I come after 13 years as a loyal customer of T-Mobiles I am leaving along with my 4 lines. Always paid on time via my credit card and this is the thanks T-Mo has for loyal customers? I can see if they did this with new customers but to do this to long standing customers is just stupid business.

I needed new phones anyway..by Felicia