Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.
icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 June 2023, 15:48

View original

346 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Won't Tmobile have your account information on their servers after payment is made? The bank has to supply routing numbers and the bank account for payment.

I'm curious do you pay your bills with checks? They just send an electronic payment. They (t mobile) don't have info to withdraw from my account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I pay with a credit card on file but all transactions that aren't in cash has a digital foot print saved to who you're paying to so basically paying by bank transfer is going to leave a record in T-Mobile’s system that hackers will have access to.

I have never had any problems paying through bank. If I put my debit card or bank info in tmobile web page to withdraw payment then I can see how hackers can ask for any amount. But im telling the bank what amount to send. Im curious when you state “I pay with a credit card on file” is that on file with bank or tmobile?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have never had any problems paying through bank. If I put my debit card or bank info in tmobile web page to withdraw payment then I can see how hackers can ask for any amount. But im telling the bank what amount to send. Im curious when you state “I pay with a credit card on file” is that on file with bank or tmobile?

According to IRS rules there's a digital foot print on all transactions not done by cash. So even by paying how you do, Tmobile has to store routing numbers and accounts for your transaction leaving it exposed to hackers.

Give me a break!! T-Mobile is worried about the 3% credit card charge?  Really?  T-Mobile is a mega company & the 3% cc fees they’re charged is tax deductible!!!!!  How dare them!!
They’re making plenty of money & are reneging on promises they’ve made to their customers, “ You’re fee will never go up”! They’re becoming hugely greedy & what will be next? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Give me a break!! T-Mobile is worried about the 3% credit card charge?  Really?  T-Mobile is a mega company & the 3% cc fees they’re charged is tax deductible!!!!!  How dare them!!
They’re making plenty of money & are reneging on promises they’ve made to their customers, “ You’re fee will never go up”! They’re becoming hugely greedy & what will be next? 

The pricelock is for the plan not any fees.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/price-lock

Userlevel 1

I am a long-time (>20 years)T-Mo customer. I contacted T-Mo customer service concerning T-Mo plans to discontinue credit card payment eligibility for their autopay discounts. On seeking more detailed information, I was informed that no one in customer service has information about the specific points being charged by credit card companies, or the financial reasoning behind T-Mobile’s scrooge-like behavior. Customer relations could not provide me with any corporate contact information (i.e., email/phone#) and suggested I write a letter to an address they offered. Ironic - an e-communications company, incapable of e-communications. Considering the individual net worth of T-Mobile executives and the company’s current profitability: total service revenues increased 3% year-over-year to $15.5 billion, this decision illustrates the hypocrisy of their “customer-obsessed Un-carrier team” marketing. I will not be sharing my bank routing detail with a company that exposed 40 million of its customer files that included names, birthdays and social security numbers. I will be returning to a non-automated, mail-in check process while I peruse alternative cellular and internet service options.

Mr. Sievert, you and your executive team can do better!

Class Action Lawsuit is warranted. If Tmobile loses me, I will NEVER EVER RETURN. I am filing every complaint that I can. And I am contacting class action lawyers and I am doing my due diligence to find another phone company.  

Badge

This is terrible.  I feel discriminated, I do not have a bank account and I am not open to have a debit card at all, I use my available cash for food and medicines only, the rest I pay with credit card, I was offered the discount for enrolling/using my card in autopay and I agreed to that deal years ago, I have not broken my autopay agreement, this should not be taken away. I have had my account for decades and have never been late on any payments, have used my card with no issues. Plus, my credit card gives me insurance on my phones, Is T-Mobile going to give us all free insurance? I am scared to use a bank or any debit card with this hacking technology that we live in now days, it is also known that T-Mobile has had security breaches. This is illegal Please help.  I don't know if the BBB or FCC or FTC or the CFPB can help us.  forcing consumers into making personal financial changes is not acceptable. 

Userlevel 1

Fraud potential.  TMO Customer Data Breaches Sept 2023, April 2023, Jan 2023, Aug 2021, Dec 2020, March, 2020, Nov 2019, Aug 2018. See the data breach news on Firewall Times Sept 28, 2023 article by Catherine Reed.  Ah No you may not have my debit card or bank account information to give to hackers.  I will also remove my credit card from the TMO customer profile, as I don’t want to be in the next hack. As a 20 year plus customer with TMO, can’t believe we can’t have the credit card option, even a small service fee for use of the CC (1.5% to 3.5% of transaction), but docking us $15 for your own TMO data breaches to keep our bank accounts on file -- that's a no.  30 year banker here with payment industry experience.  Don’t do this folks.  There is far less protection for the consumer if your bank account or debit card is breached than a credit card. KNOW your rights as a consumer.  Don't let your bank account or debit card be compromised by a company with 8 hacks in 5 years.  Shop around. 

T-Mobile is going to lose a lot of customers they are now behaving like the other carriers with subpar service I call bs on the team of experts because when I call 611 my call gets routed overseas and I can hardly understand the rep on the phone not to mention the data breaches they have had I hope someone gets really smart and bring a class action against them because they are reckless with your info and it’s just flat out wrong. They want your bank info so the next data breach all of your money will disappear 

What are some national carriers / plans where current T-Mobile customers can find a better price for the same or better quality of service?

This is so wrong. The company really hasn’t thought this through. I argued with customer service about it and they said they would escalate this issue and ask if I could continue using my credit card with autopay. They were probably lying. Sales people do that. I was originally a Sprint customer, the service with T Mobile has not been good. Lost messages and late messages. Time to look at other carriers.

Moved from Verizon because of lousy local service to this bunch of ridiculousness from TM!

Bills higher than we were quoted, no credit for my wifes TRADE IN and now this credit card crap. Our local store manager basically told us to go ahead and sue TM since they will not do anything to help.

NEVER, EVER, EVER give anyone your banking info, particularly one that has a track record that, and I’m being kind, is less than reliable! Leaving this company as soon as phone is paid off.

Another joke of a Cell company.

I just received the note that T-Mobile will eliminate the credit card discount. I spoke with customer service, initially they said they could reinstate the discount using credit card, but then they called me back saying that I would need to provide a credit card or my checking account number, which I will definitely not do. I did a company research and found out that a competitor to T-Mobile allows auto-pay on credit card, provided you use their credit card, which also provides money back. I will have to change several lines, but I am seriously considering this option, as I am not happy to pay an additional $30/mo to T-Mobile.

My family will be switching to someone else. Not going to use my debit card or bank account info especially since a T Mobile employee had stolen my credit card number. I was able to get the money back since it was the credit company's money not my own... With a debit card it will be impossible to get the money back if the debit card number gets stolen since it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card... So since my info was already stolen once by these idiots we will be switching to another company now.. This is what happens when you screw over your customers.... It's insane... And T Mobile had 3 data breaches already... 

Sounds like you need a new bank. 

In a chat conversation today with “Jivy”:

Me: Why is my credit card no longer eligible for the autopay discount?

Jivy: To be honest with you that one of the reason why the credit card is not eligible for a Autopay discount is because when you use the debit card it will make sure that you have funds on your account and will avoid any back out payment that might cause you a draft fees.

Me: Draft fees don't apply to credit cards, only debit cards.

Jivy: We get your point. Also we want to continue to provide customer with the best value in wireless through our Autopay Discount program and the best way to keep this program is to get you to use either a bank account or debit card for autopay. I understand that you may still prefer to use your Credit card as a payment method, and I can help you work through your options. However, I strongly recommend that we switch you over to an eligible payment method so you can keep the discount. Is this something you'd like me to help you with ?

Me: The best way for ME is to use my credit card, and especially since T-Mobile has suffered not one but MULTIPLE data breeches, two just this year! Tell me again why I should entrust my bank account information to T-Mobile?

Jivy: I totally understand you on that. And as part of T-Mobile my apology for this kind of inconvenience. Our systems and policies prevented the most sensitive types of customer information from being accessed, and as a result, customer accounts and finances should not be put at risk by this event. If you prefer, you can still use your credit card to pay your bill, however it won't be eligible for the AutoPay discount.

So basically, a fancy-worded “go f*** yourself” from T-Mobile.

They are really gonna lose alot more buisness not letting us use credit cards it also was helping me with experian boost now its like wow tmobile why they highly need to rethink what their doing i’ve been with them for 10 years so this is super upsetting i guess time to switch to verizon or we probably have to come in personally to pay with credit card!!

T-Mobile is going to lose a lot of customers they are now behaving like the other carriers with subpar service I call bs on the team of experts because when I call 611 my call gets routed overseas and I can hardly understand the rep on the phone not to mention the data breaches they have had I hope someone gets really smart and bring a class action against them because they are reckless with your info and it’s just flat out wrong. They want your bank info so the next data breach all of your money will disappear 

What are some national carriers / plans where current T-Mobile customers can find a better price for the same or better quality of service?

🎯🎯🎯

I have a theory that this move has more to do with a strategic attempt to manipulate customers into to purchasing T-Mobile cell phone insurance to be honest. I signed up for T-Mobile budgeting for what my services would cost based on the autopay ( not really a discount if you state your prices loud and clear with the discount already factored into the advertising of price by the way ). I signed up for and pay the fee on a specific credit card in order to pay my T-Mobile bill with it because one of the card benefits is insurance on my phone should it be lost, damaged or stolen. I also receive valuable reward points with every T-Mobile bill I pay on this card. This was a great system for me. Now I am forced to either 1. Pay $10 more to T-Mobile in order to use my own Credit Card phone insurance or 2. Pay T-Mobile for their phone insurance plan. T-Mobile gets paid either way now … if I pay them $10 for my credit card insurance it’s especially beneficial to them because they don’t even have to provide coverage. It’s a win win for them no matter what and a lose lose for me. I personally will be going elsewhere. I don’t like shell games, indian giving or overt manipulation to feed greed machines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have a theory that this move has more to do with a strategic attempt to manipulate customers into to purchasing T-Mobile cell phone insurance to be honest. I signed up for T-Mobile budgeting for what my services would cost based on the autopay ( not really a discount if you state your prices loud and clear with the discount already factored into the advertising of price by the way ). I signed up for and pay the fee on a specific credit card in order to pay my T-Mobile bill with it because one of the card benefits is insurance on my phone should it be lost, damaged or stolen. I also receive valuable reward points with every T-Mobile bill I pay on this card. This was a great system for me. Now I am forced to either 1. Pay $10 more to T-Mobile in order to use my own Credit Card phone insurance or 2. Pay T-Mobile for their phone insurance plan. T-Mobile gets paid either way now … if I pay them $10 for my credit card insurance it’s especially beneficial to them because they don’t even have to provide coverage. It’s a win win for them no matter what and a lose lose for me. I personally will be going elsewhere. I don’t like shell games, indian giving or overt manipulation to feed greed machines.

Wrong, Verizon is going to require a bank account for auto pay discount, no debit card for new users. Thanks for the conspiracy theory though.

https://www.droid-life.com/2024/02/14/verizons-10-auto-pay-discount-changes-to-bank-accounts-only/

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

T-mobile is still the best deal going for a full featured mobile phone company, with included taxes and all the other perks they offer, not to mention the plan itself is such a better value than Verizon or AT&T.  I have never given up my banking details to any company, but I forgo the $5 dollar discount and just pay manually from my bill pay app each month when T-mobile texts me that it’s due  It goes to them electronically and is easy as pie to do, with more security than giving up your banking details.