Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.
icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 June 2023, 15:48

View original

346 replies

Userlevel 1

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

A question for T-Mobile: Does T-Mobile consider the Bluebird Debit card an eligible payment method for the Autopay discount?

This is simply a money grab plain and simple, I calculated the (maximum current) credit card fees on my monthly payment of $147.11. The (Maximum) T-Mobile could be charged on my Master Card is ($6.98). I have been with T-Mobil for 20 years and I’m switching. I refuse to give them my bank account information and think them very arrogant to think us all so foolish as to do so. The lack of integrity of simply adding the Credit Card fees to the transaction and thinking us foolish enough to think it’s anywhere near their increase, insults my intelligence and that of any intelligent person.  Keep in mind my calculations are based on maximum fees which I can assure you, T-Mobile does not pay near the maximum, they are too big a customer.

money grab…. 

This is bull. We have all our monthly bills set up on 1 credit card to be paid every month with no late fees and now T-Mobile is doing this? I just bought a new iPhone and new plan and now they do this?! I will not be able to keep this plan or phone if they switch payment to a debit card or bank account!!!!! We switched to a credit card for assurance that all bills would be paid every month and paid off at the end of the month not having to worry about switching money to bank accounts and not having enough to pay your bills therefore getting charged late fees and getting disconnection notices. If this is the case I’ll just go to buying minutes for my phone per month instead of being on a 2 year plan. I just received this notification today . Is this true or a scam? 

Userlevel 1

shame on you Tmobile! for stealing so much money back.  Nobody should use their debit card or bank account b/c TMobile has been hacked many times and sued for $500 million class action.

Jan 2023: 37 million accounts hacked.  https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/another-data-breach-has-hit-t-mobile-impacting-37-million-accounts/

Feb/Mar 2023: T-Mobile Announces Another Data Breach. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-announces-another-data-breach/

Aug 2021: breach that affected over 54 million people with social security numbers etc. https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/t-mobile-data-breach-2021-heres-what-it-means-for-securing-your-data/

July 2022: T-Mobile Agrees to $500M Settlement in Massive Data Breach that affected >76 million people.  https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-agrees-to-500m-settlement-in-massive-data-breach/

T-MOBILE!!!  This is the whole reason we need to use credit cards!!  To protect consumers from you getting hacked.  And, credit cards companies charge maybe 3%!!!  You are trying to claw back and charge consumers closer to 15-20%!!!  You could charge maybe $5 total per bill but not $5/per line!!!  

AND this should ONLY be for new accounts!! not longstanding accounts that have been with you for years.  Those accounts should be grandfathered in!!!

Customers:  DO NOT give TMobile your debit card or bank account.  Eventually it will be compromised and thieves could empty your bank account.

Call them and band together!!!  

Userlevel 2
Badge

shame on you Tmobile! for stealing so much money back.  Nobody should use their debit card or bank account b/c TMobile has been hacked many times and sued for $500 million class action.

Jan 2023: 37 million accounts hacked.  https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/another-data-breach-has-hit-t-mobile-impacting-37-million-accounts/

Feb/Mar 2023: T-Mobile Announces Another Data Breach. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-announces-another-data-breach/

Aug 2021: breach that affected over 54 million people with social security numbers etc. https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/t-mobile-data-breach-2021-heres-what-it-means-for-securing-your-data/

July 2022: T-Mobile Agrees to $500M Settlement in Massive Data Breach that affected >76 million people.  https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-agrees-to-500m-settlement-in-massive-data-breach/

T-MOBILE!!!  This is the whole reason we need to use credit cards!!  To protect consumers from you getting hacked.  And, credit cards companies charge maybe 3%!!!  You are trying to claw back and charge consumers closer to 15-20%!!!  You could charge maybe $5 total per bill but not $5/per line!!!  

AND this should ONLY be for new accounts!! not longstanding accounts that have been with you for years.  Those accounts should be grandfathered in!!!

Customers:  DO NOT give TMobile your debit card or bank account.  Eventually it will be compromised and thieves could empty your bank account.

I agree although I’m already in the process of changing carriers. There are better deals out there. It is disingenuous and a money grab. See my posts with current Credit Card rates and the potential 100+ billion in extra revenue using my plan as basis. Deception of the increase rather than charging us for the CCrd fees and no concern of customer security by giving banking info in light of T-Mobile breaches. It’s a German Company not a U.S. company, so why care.

Is this happening to new customers and clients who switch to new plans?

Userlevel 1

A great time to remind people that they can file a complaint with the FCC and contact their local politicians.

-->>And also (or more applicable) is the FTC.  People!! Please go now and file with the FTC.  It takes 5-10 min.  The FTC uses reports to investigate and bring cases against fraud, scams, and bad business practices.

I just did!!  If they get enough complaints, maybe T-Mobile will switch back, make the fee reasonable, and/or be responsible for when people get hacked.

FTC complaint on T-Mobile’s “bad business practices” needs to gain momentum.  Others need to file!!

FTC file here: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/assistant 

then file with your state attorney general:https://www.consumerresources.org/file-a-complaint/

Adding my respectful feedback to this discussion:

I actually quite enjoy being a T-Mobile customer. They have been providing a service for me, at a reasonable cost, for years now. I am happy with the coverage.

I am here today to express my disagreement with the choice to require debit or bank account for autopay. Many millions of credit card customers get an awesome benefit on their credit cards called “Cell Phone Protection”. I have two credit cards that offer this. Essentially the benefit is: If you pay your monthly phone bill on that credit card, the credit card company offers you a protection plan on your phone (if it breaks). I have used this on an old iPhone 6S when it broke and I was cut a check for repair, it was great! No need to purchase AppleCare.

I want to continue to take advantage of this benefit for peace of mind when using my iPhone, but now T-Mobile changes their policy to cut the $5 plan discount if we don’t get off credit cards.

Additionally, one of my credit cards requires me to make 5 purchases per month in order to receive full points - setting up autopay for my phone bill here at T-Mobile for that card was a no-brainer, but now I have to remove this monthly purchase?

Extremely disappointed and hope someone reads our feedback and reverses course.

I really hope TMo is reading these comments.  Today I called to register a complaint and concerns about Tmo not being able to keep my account info secure, and was suggested I open a cash card like Paypal Debit and fund it so I can pay through there.  Now I have to put a firewall between the two just to protect myself from their incompetence?  The only reason I haven’t switched yet is the logistics of getting 7 lines moved to another carrier with new SIMS and porting of numbers, but this is likely to happen soon.  

Now I will have to budget and make sure funds are in my account based on my paycheck rather than the flexibility I have now with paying off a CC before interest accrues.  

Also, how can a massive org like Deutsche Telecom not be able to negotiate better deals with Visa/MC etc.  or even just absorb the cost?  Are their  margins so thin that 3% credit charge is going to bankrupt them?  Do Better T Mobile. We’re not asking for free stuff, we’re asking you to not make it difficult to give you our money.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I really hope TMo is reading these comments.  Today I called to register a complaint and concerns about Tmo not being able to keep my account info secure, and was suggested I open a cash card like Paypal Debit and fund it so I can pay through there.  Now I have to put a firewall between the two just to protect myself from their incompetence?  The only reason I haven’t switched yet is the logistics of getting 7 lines moved to another carrier with new SIMS and porting of numbers, but this is likely to happen soon.  

Now I will have to budget and make sure funds are in my account based on my paycheck rather than the flexibility I have now with paying off a CC before interest accrues.  

Also, how can a massive org like Deutsche Telecom not be able to negotiate better deals with Visa/MC etc.  or even just absorb the cost?  Are their  margins so thin that 3% credit charge is going to bankrupt them?  Do Better T Mobile. We’re not asking for free stuff, we’re asking you to not make it difficult to give you our money.  

so which carrier will you be looking into?

Understand why T-Mobile is charging $10 more for a credit card auto pay to cover the credit card fees.

This is wrong.  Signing up for the Megenta plan for Seniors for 2 lines was supposed to be $70 and no increase FOREVER.Now T-Mobile is charging an additional $10 for using a credit card will be $80 a month.  Don't want T-Mobile to have my Bank account info.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Understand why T-Mobile is charging $10 more for a credit card auto pay to cover the credit card fees.

This is wrong.  Signing up for the Megenta plan for Seniors for 2 lines was supposed to be $70 and no increase FOREVER.Now T-Mobile is charging an additional $10 for using a credit card will be $80 a month.  Don't want T-Mobile to have my Bank account info.

Unfortunately Tmobile didn't change the rate plan  they just removed the perk of autopay.

I hope T-Mobile listens. This action will get you a short term gain but in the long run you will lose people. It seems that a director came up with an idea to make more profit by saving the 1 or 2 % the credit companies charge ( based on the credit company) while it sounds like millions but that if you look at it on one side. If you want to see the big picture, here it is:

1- people will not feel comfortable giving a bank account or a debit as it cause much hustle if they leaked (everything is possible to be leaked and hacked)

2- not everyone has enough cash as most Americans lived paycheck to paycheck, except for T-mobile managers :)

3- T-Mobile advertises its pricing after the autopay discount. Losing it only will result in T-Mobile losing its competitive pricing. 

4- Remember that Autopay is saving T-Mobile so much hustle, time, and money to collect payments, follow up, send letters...etc, So forcing your customers to go through this trouble and frustration so you can save an extra 1% or 2%  that's called greed!

5- When ATT & Verizon got bigger, they came up with some greedy ideas. As a result of this, they lost their ground to T-Mobile. Now T-Mobile is getting bigger, will it do the same mistakes or it will be wise?

Think about it! T-Mobile can't keep hackers out of their databases and now they want your bank account information!  😱

Userlevel 1

lets hope for the best. I called also and looks like is going to happen … maybe class action will change their mind,  Any lawyers out there? 

I have been a Sprint/Boost/T-Mobile customer for 25 years. Everyday lately, T-Mobile has been giving me reasons to dump them. This is the last straw for me. I’m out.

Userlevel 3

Totally agree with all of those here complaining about T-Mobile’s policy change to remove AutoPay discount if using a credit card to pay with.  (I just got the text a couple days ago that I have till next month to change how I use AutoPay or lose the discount.)  I will also be hurt by this due to using a CC that provides phone protection against theft or damage.  It certainly feels like T-Mobile has used a loophole to increase its profits while supposedly keeping its promise to not raise one’s rates for the life of the plan.  I certainly didn’t read the entire terms & conditions so have no idea what was said about AutoPay, but nevertheless this is extremely disappointing and am not sure there is much alternative (have not found Verizon or AT&T as competitive but will now start shopping around).    For now, my plan will be to use t-Mobile Money and keep just enough there to pay the bill.  Hopefully, T-Mobile is paying attention to these comments as well as the FTC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

V doesnt allow auto pay discounts for CC cards unless you are using their own Verizon CC card..then it counts and you can get the discount..

aside from that theyre debti/bank info.

from the V site.

Re: Want to sign up for paperless billing
vzw_customer_support
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@JimmyMac53 ,

We're sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble, but let's find out a bit more on this. You would be set to paper-free billing by default, but if you changed that to where a physical bill is sent out each month, please check out this link for steps on turning on paper-free option: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-205735/ . You can always access and view a digital version of the last 12 months of billing statements through My Verizon. Please keep in mind that you don't get a discount just with paper-free billing, as you must also be enrolled in Auto Pay with either a debit card or a bank account. If you are using a credit card for Auto Pay, it's not going to give you a discount through us, unless it's the Verizon VISA card. Please check the same link I had shared for steps on managing your Auto Pay. 

-Russell

View solution in original post

This is such BS…I prefer to pay with  my CC to receive my rebates but now I’m forced to use my bank account. I’m definitely looking for another service provider because I don’t think it’s fair to be FORCED to use a bank account only. It’s such an inconvenience.  At least allow current customers to stay the same and any new customers pay with their banks.  TMobile will lose a lot of business.

Data breach is more important than getting $5-$10 auto discount. Debit card is direct access to bank account and loosing all money if hacked. Better to change the carrier. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Data breach is more important than getting $5-$10 auto discount. Debit card is direct access to bank account and loosing all money if hacked. Better to change the carrier. 

Not true. Debit cards that are backed by Visa and MasterCard offer the same fraud protections as credit cards do. Some even offer rewards and/or deals. At the same time, most banks offer card controls that can limit debit spending, spending categories, single transaction accounts, alerts, locks, etc.  I get pending debit alerts in real time and all it takes is phone call to halt any suspect activity before the COB - debits don’t occur until close of business. Once I notify the bank the burden falls on them to prove it wasn’t fraudulent activity.

I don’t like it any more than anyone else but nearly everything I have now is eliminating discounts when paying by credit card (some add a fee when paying by credit card). TMO isn’t unique in this whether it be taxes, utilities, or just about anything else. Not apologizing for TMO’s action but folks need to get over it at this point and change carriers if it’s a burden or simply continue using their credit cards.

In reality I’ve got a second free (no minimum balance) checking account with a debit card (and strict debit spending controls) that I keep a minimal balance in as needed for bill payments. It has no overdraft protection.

Just un-enroll from autopay.  Let them mail you a paper bill and send them a check for payment.  See what that does to their costs.

I’m keeping autopay for now (and losing the discount), just changed to get a paper bill as a protest. Maybe they did me a favor, I’ll be looking for a new phone soon and now I’m free to move?

Adding my respectful feedback to this discussion:

I actually quite enjoy being a T-Mobile customer. They have been providing a service for me, at a reasonable cost, for years now. I am happy with the coverage.

I am here today to express my disagreement with the choice to require debit or bank account for autopay. Many millions of credit card customers get an awesome benefit on their credit cards called “Cell Phone Protection”. I have two credit cards that offer this. Essentially the benefit is: If you pay your monthly phone bill on that credit card, the credit card company offers you a protection plan on your phone (if it breaks). I have used this on an old iPhone 6S when it broke and I was cut a check for repair, it was great! No need to purchase AppleCare.

I want to continue to take advantage of this benefit for peace of mind when using my iPhone, but now T-Mobile changes their policy to cut the $5 plan discount if we don’t get off credit cards.

Additionally, one of my credit cards requires me to make 5 purchases per month in order to receive full points - setting up autopay for my phone bill here at T-Mobile for that card was a no-brainer, but now I have to remove this monthly purchase?

Extremely disappointed and hope someone reads our feedback and reverses course.

Excellent point . . . that coupled with the T-Mobile data breaches and potential headaches from having a debit card “stolen” means I’ll be losing my autopay discount. Not positive that I’ll be jumping ship but I’ll sure be open to offers from other carriers. I see why they are doing this BUT they should have grandfathered existing customers!

Agree. I quit AutoPay over this and will continue to pay via credit card. Let’s see how that affects their bottom line. T Mobile has been hacked before. Why they would ask clients to risk their bank accounts is beyond me. I’m more open to switching to another service now. We’ll see how much more it costs and whether they continue to do this.

If everyone just turned off paperless billing and autopay, this would make them reconsider. They’d now have to print out hundreds of thousands of bills, pay postage and then process paper checks. I guess they’re hedging that people will not do that. I love the simplicity of autopay using a CC but if i have nothing to gain from it, then i have no issues going back and doing things the old fashioned way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

for those throwing out the “I’ll pay with a check and see how they like it” threats..keep in mind that you’ll be mailing this in via snail mail so it might or might not make it in..which if it doesn’t that issue falls on you...not TMO..