Solved

LG IMS has stopped

Show first post

188 replies

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

No, this doesn't work. It has not for most people.

If you are trying to get through the every 2 or 3 second popup, just tap on the area where you are trying to go (NOT on the white rectangle box with the error).

This will clear the error box and you will have another 3 seconds to get to the settings - general - apps - app Info to get to the three dots … to show system apps. and fclear out the com.lg-ims- rcsprovider App and force it to stop.

I have done it twice. Nothing is fixed for me yet. 

Userlevel 1

Funny enough I just bought this LG G8 ThinQ like 5 months ago. Now trying to get me to buy a new phone. The error is still popping up. Like hello T-Mobile why sell me this when you want me to buy xyz phone. Just very annoyed atm. 

this works.

WiFi Off, airplane mode on <apps> drop down menu to <show system> <com.lge.ims.rcsprovider> <storage> <clear cache> <clear data> back one screen <force stop> airplane mode off

This worked for mine

airplane mode on <apps> drop down menu to <show system> <com.lge.ims.rcsprovider> <storage> <clear cache> <clear data> back one screen <force stop> airplane mode off

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

Where is that exactly like Google play?

Userlevel 1

The more I look at all aspects of this nonsense the more it seems that this is a ploy by T Mobile to get you to go in and get one of their newer phones that are likely preloaded with spy apps or spy hardware that you cant opt out of.

Keep in mind that LG stopped manufacturing phones around this time last year. So I doubt LG even has an interest in “fixing” this.

BE PREPARED for T Mobile to announce to all LG phone owners some lame “Trade in” or discount to get a “new phone”.  I’ll be shocked and surprised if the actually fix this. Seems like too much nonsense to just be due to some minor technical oopsie.

Agreed. Spent all day figuring out a fix. 

put the phone on airplane mode. 

Then

Force stop/clear data from com.lge.ims.rcsprovider

This makes is stop, but phone does not work

Then

go to phone, dial 277634#*# to access secret menu

Then 

Go to IMS SETTINGS and switch IP VERSION to IPV4V6

Then restore phone functionality by switching airplane mode off.

Haven't seen the error since doing this.

I still stopped auto-pay. If T-Mobile wants to play they don't get paid. I'll switch carriers. Sick of this nonsense

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

If it's not a t-mobile Issue then why is it only LG devices on the t-mobile networks metro pc  etc?

Could someone from T-Mobile support please respond to one of the questions about this topic with an update as to what we should to or when we can expect this to be fixed?

I feel like they are trying to push me into buying a new phone. 

Userlevel 3

The LG IMS Service is a service that is specifically available on the LG devices to have both VoLTE and WIFI features. The LG IMS Service is used on any supported LG devices. But recently, it is showing the error, “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped functioning”. The reason why this error is popping up is still unknown. However, this only happens when the Wi-Fi is switched to the Mobile network. Yes, you can fix this error and make it that you have multiple options for solving this issue.

Firstly, remove any updated programs from your device. Also, remove newly downloaded apps. This should be done if you have downloaded any recent apps. In your phone’s app, dial the number, “277634#8#”. From the menu, click on the IP Version and change it to IPV4V6. If nothing works then the simplest way would be to Factory reset your device.

DO NOT  DO THIS! IT DOES NOT WORK!

The more I look at all aspects of this nonsense the more it seems that this is a ploy by T Mobile to get you to go in and get one of their newer phones that are likely preloaded with spy apps or spy hardware that you cant opt out of.

Keep in mind that LG stopped manufacturing phones around this time last year. So I doubt LG even has an interest in “fixing” this.

BE PREPARED for T Mobile to announce to all LG phone owners some lame “Trade in” or discount to get a “new phone”.  I’ll be shocked and surprised if the actually fix this. Seems like too much nonsense to just be due to some minor technical oopsie.

Well, it’s SIM card or T-Mobile network related for sure. I have 3 nearly identical LG V30 phones.  One with a cracked screen and no SIM card that I use for audio books, wi-fi Facebook and web surfing.  It has never shown the dreaded LG IMS error note. The other two get one about every 30 seconds now.  My wife’s started yesterday, mine today  Coincidentally (or maybe not) I recently got a notice that my phone could now be unlocked from T-Mobile.  Hmmmmmm?

BTW, I’ve tried all of the resets, forced stops, cache clearing, restarting and so forth that have been mentioned above. Also tried shutting off w-fi. All no joy so far. Results are a recurring message every 70 seconds or so.  And it drains my battery really quickly.

I’ll put in a public plea here for T-Mobile to find out what’s happening and deal with this problem. It could lose you lots of customers who are not interested in being forced to replace fully functioning smartphones.

Wel its likely a T Mobile issue die to them shutting down their 3G at the end of the month and they cant get the technicals right on network or LG phones have compatibility issue now.

They have delayed the death of their 3G at least twice already due to issues. My guess is they are not wanting to come out and admit because they dont want their stock to suffer.

T Mobile will probably offer some lame discount or “Trade in” vale if you take your LG and trade it for a “new phone”  Also keep in mind its not a coincidence that LG stopped manufacturing phones around same time last year.  So I doubt LG will do a fix.  This seems like a forced ploy by T Mobile to get you to go and get a new phone that is probably loaded with spying apps that you cant disable and are in the hardware.

I think this has a lot to do with T Mobile getting rid of their 3G at the end of the month supposedly. They have had several delays before and had to push the rollout of the 5G back already.

I think T Mobile has some compatibility issues, or some kind of technical issue wit the network, but they wont say and keep blaming LG because T Mobile doesnt want company value to go down and scare investors. You can see their ticker TMUS and its been rather steady and nothing crazy, I think they dont want to botch the rollout again because it may adversely effect the stock.

So they blame LG. I am guessing that they will NOT come up witha fix , rather T mobile will come up with some lame discount on one of their newer phones if you trade in your “Old” LG. T Mobile may even compensate LG to go along.

If this is the case and they are pulling these kinds of stunts then I will just switch carriers and keep my unlocked phone but just transfer to another network. Get your act together T Mobile. Some of us use our phones for work and not just to play video games , watch YouTube and take selfies. We actually rely on our phones for a living and dont need these kinds of shenanigans.

Could someone from T-Mobile support please respond to one of the questions about this topic with an update as to what we should to or when we can expect this to be fixed?

I am having the same problem

I just went to Network and Internet in the settings and then to mobile networks and changed the network to lte/3g/2g then everything started working.

1:40AM Texas Time and suddenly all of the “Test Texts” and Emails I sent myself from my T-Mobile LG-V60 & ATT work phone (Samsung) flooded into my V-60… Voice calls are going through both ways… 

All of this AFTER :

1. Going to Airplane Mode
  2. Go to settings
  3. Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots ->
  4. Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  5. Storage and clear data clear the data at least 4 times. 
  6. THEN go to Force Stop.

Went back to WiFi Mode again to see if it was a T-Mobile/LG Fix… 

Error came back 😡 

Turned the WiFi back OFF and repeated 1-6… and phone functions again… for now

I have an LG Stylo 4 on our plan, it is having the same problem as everyone else here, I have tried the cache/data clearing, airplane mode, no wi-fi, etc……  I can get the message to stop showing up if I put the phone in Airplane mode, clear the data/cache, and then get it to force stop. Only problem the minute I take it out of airplane mode I’m back to square one.  This is very frustrating; the phone is my fathers who is 78 y/o and this is his primary source of communication and his lifeline in the event of trouble. Yes, he can still call and message if needed, but the amount of frustration and confusion on what to do with the notice has him overwhelmed. 

Shame on Tmo, LG or Both for not pushing a notice to customers that this a known system wide issue. If they have a plan to correct it, say something so people don't start factory resetting their devices for no reason. Or make a system level change in the hopes of solving the problem. 

Keep in Airplane mode and do the data clear at least 4 times in a row before turning off airplane mode. Make sure to force stop after data clear not before. That's how I got it to stop completely .

I have an LG Stylo 4 on our plan, it is having the same problem as everyone else here, I have tried the cache/data clearing, airplane mode, no wi-fi, etc……  I can get the message to stop showing up if I put the phone in Airplane mode, clear the data/cache, and then get it to force stop. Only problem the minute I take it out of airplane mode I’m back to square one.  This is very frustrating; the phone is my fathers who is 78 y/o and this is his primary source of communication and his lifeline in the event of trouble. Yes, he can still call and message if needed, but the amount of frustration and confusion on what to do with the notice has him overwhelmed. 

Shame on Tmo, LG or Both for not pushing a notice to customers that this a known system wide issue. If they have a plan to correct it, say something so people don't start factory resetting their devices for no reason. Or make a system level change in the hopes of solving the problem. 

LG IMS keeps stopping I will take you guys word for it that they know about it and they're working on it. I've tried everything. I even did the factory reset and it still came back luckily I didn't lose anything but If they don't fix it with some kind of update from the phone or Google play I guess I'll just have to get a new phone because this is driving me nuts. I tried the above tip and it didn't work for me. the app is wacked out.

If not fixed by noon tomorrow. New phone, and new network. 

The fix for clearing the data will work but you must do this 1st. 

1. Turn off Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling.

2. Put phone in Airplane mode .

3. Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage and clear data. Then go to Force Stop. Then go back and forth and clear the data at least 4 times. If you don't clear it this many times then the message will return once you take it out of Airplane mode. 

Did the data clear without turning off Wi-Fi, though I’m guessing turning off Wi-Fi makes it easier to clear the data before the process restarts. Either way, I only had to clear the data once and it stopped failing.

The LG IMS Service is a service that is specifically available on the LG devices to have both VoLTE and WIFI features. The LG IMS Service is used on any supported LG devices. But recently, it is showing the error, “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped functioning”. The reason why this error is popping up is still unknown. However, this only happens when the Wi-Fi is switched to the Mobile network. Yes, you can fix this error and make it that you have multiple options for solving this issue.

Firstly, remove any updated programs from your device. Also, remove newly downloaded apps. This should be done if you have downloaded any recent apps. In your phone’s app, dial the number, “277634#8#”. From the menu, click on the IP Version and change it to IPV4V6. If nothing works then the simplest way would be to Factory reset your device.

“However, this only happens when the Wi-Fi is switched to the Mobile network.”

This is incorrect. My phone has been on Wi-Fi all day without me turning it off or going outside the range of my home Wi-Fi. The ONLY thing that has worked to solve this is by force stopping the “com-lge-ims-rcsprovider” process and clearing it’s data before it is restarted. After that, it has stopped failing. This has nothing to do with updated programs or network settings, and a factory reset (as many others on this thread have ALREADY said) does not resolve the issue. Something stuck in the IMS process data is causing the issue and clearing that data resolves the issue.

The other thread has a fix I copied below, it worked on my Stylus 4. Be persistent, keep tapping what you need thru the popups.

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

This worked for me as well on my LG G6. For those that try this and it doesn’t work the first time, try it a couple times as if the process comes back up before the data is cleared I don’t think it’ll work.