Solved

LG IMS has stopped

Show first post

188 replies

I was one of the early ones to call in. The tech had me *wipe my phone*, restoring factory settings.  It's my work device as well. I explained this, but he was insistent this was the only solution. 

I've spent the day bringing years of apps and authenticators back up, while stopping every 3 seconds to clear the error. I can't even enter a full password without it interfering. 

So at least that didn't happen to you today.

The LG IMS Service is a service that is specifically available on the LG devices to have both VoLTE and WIFI features. The LG IMS Service is used on any supported LG devices. But recently, it is showing the error, “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped functioning”. The reason why this error is popping up is still unknown. However, this only happens when the Wi-Fi is switched to the Mobile network. Yes, you can fix this error and make it that you have multiple options for solving this issue.

Firstly, remove any updated programs from your device. Also, remove newly downloaded apps. This should be done if you have downloaded any recent apps. In your phone’s app, dial the number, “277634#8#”. From the menu, click on the IP Version and change it to IPV4V6. If nothing works then the simplest way would be to Factory reset your device.

The fix for clearing the data will work but you must do this 1st. 

1. Turn off Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling.

2. Put phone in Airplane mode .

3. Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage and clear data. Then go to Force Stop. Then go back and forth and clear the data at least 4 times. If you don't clear it this many times then the message will return once you take it out of Airplane mode. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

i have this problem on V30 from this morning. My husband V60 ThinQ got this issue a few hours ago and his phone stopped working at all, mine functions but popup does not go away.  i just tried Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage Force stop and clear data.

it worked, at least it took away the popup. Thank you

But did it REALLY work?? I have a V30 and did the same as you earlier today as to what you note. But mine came back as soon as i turned wifi on and took it off airplane mode after the fix. Did yours stay fixed?

Leave the Wifi OFF

And DO NOT power off the phone.

Ive tried the above suggestions. Some didnt work at all. Some DID work - but only for a little while. It keeps popping back up. 

Could someone from T-Mobile support please respond to one of the questions about this topic with an update as to what we should to or when we can expect this to be fixed?

I waited in store over 2hrs today to be told they can't help me. It's not a TMobile issue. It's LG. When i askedthe manager what I'm to do as a customer I was told, and i quote, "I don't know". There were several people steadily coming in with similar issues.

#poorresponsetmobilesprintconglomerlotsofourmoney

No ph

The other thread has a fix I copied below, it worked on my Stylus 4. Be persistent, keep tapping what you need thru the popups.

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

Yes. I tried EVERYTHING. This is the only solution that worked. Thank you.

No phone all day and 4 attempts finally worked. Thank you.

Anyone have a solution for Tmobile tv Internet? It just suckz!

Dear LG and t-mobile… the global issue time started counting 

My guess is the fix will be in 2 days (based on my experiences with big it companies). Your bets, guys ? )

I have three LG G7’s on my plan and they’re getting the same ”LG IMS has stopped” error.  I tried all the suggested workarounds posted here and none worked.  Tried a factory reset on one G7 and it didn’t resolve the issue.  It appears to be a network issue.   I thoight I had a good backup before I did my Factory reset but I did not.  It’s been a heck of a day….

LG Aristo 2 + t-mobile “LG IMS stopped working” message popping up every 5 seconds, mostly makes my phone useless. Issue started on 5/22 

Thinking where I was wrong: to choose LG as cell phone or t-mobile as cell provider

same here...it says

LG IMS keeps stopping...ugh

Userlevel 1

We appreciate your strong effort to message us in regards on your LG device. We know it's very important to have a good working device specially to get in touched with our love ones and work purposes as well. We see here that There's on going enhancement on the LG device based on the manufacturer. Yet we assure you that the technician of the manufacturer is currently fixing it now. The benefit of this enhancement is to provide a best and easy use of the device.

that's the response I got from T-mobile customer support and they are giving $10 as compensation for this issue with LG Devices. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I am still able to use my phone to send messages and make calls.  The pop-up message has not affected any of that.  It’s just annoying and either LG or T-Mobile should fix it considering all the people affected.

Well, it’s SIM card or T-Mobile network related for sure. I have 3 nearly identical LG V30 phones.  One with a cracked screen and no SIM card that I use for audio books, wi-fi Facebook and web surfing.  It has never shown the dreaded LG IMS error note. The other two get one about every 30 seconds now.  My wife’s started yesterday, mine today  Coincidentally (or maybe not) I recently got a notice that my phone could now be unlocked from T-Mobile.  Hmmmmmm?

BTW, I’ve tried all of the resets, forced stops, cache clearing, restarting and so forth that have been mentioned above. Also tried shutting off w-fi. All no joy so far. Results are a recurring message every 70 seconds or so.  And it drains my battery really quickly.

I’ll put in a public plea here for T-Mobile to find out what’s happening and deal with this problem. It could lose you lots of customers who are not interested in being forced to replace fully functioning smartphones.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

My Wi-Fi is off and the steps to clear the LG IMS has stopped box does not work.  It isn’t working for most people.

Appreciate all the potential fixes here, but they do not work on my V20. Only pulling the sim will the error stop. Time to backup all my data while on my wifi. Luckily I have an old iphone 6 as a temp.

This is obviously a T-Mobile network problem.  LG has not made any changes to their cell phone android operating system or system apps, so T-Mobile must have made a network change that caused this error to pop-up.  Push T-Mobile to correct their error.

We have 3 phones with T-Mobile network, only one of them is an LG. The LG phone is the only phone having this issue. We contacted T-Mobile and they had no idea about fixing the issue, we contacted LG and they said they are aware of the issue and are working on it. Sounds like a LG problem to me!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

Userlevel 3

None of the ‘fixes’ have worked for most everyone. This is a T-mobile / LG  issue and likely T-mobile. Since you can remove the sim card (bypassing T-mobile) and power up the phone and use all its functions including navigating settings without the annoying popup, this seems to point to T-MOBILE BEING THE CULPRIT.

T-mobile tech support ‘assured’ me 6x itwas an LG problem LG will fix by midnight EDT tonight (Sunday). They have 2 hours left. I believe T-mobile is lying.

With hundreds of thousands of affected customers why has T-MOBILE NOT NOTIFIED THE MEDIA OR THEIR CUSTOMERS?

Also happening on my V20. This is a major fail.

THIS IS AFFECTING MANY MODELS OF LG phones...all with T-MOBILE SIM cards. It is not the phones.

Also happening on my V20. This is a major fail.

Userlevel 3

None of the ‘fixes’ have worked for most everyone. This is a T-mobile / LG  issue and likely T-mobile. Since you can remove the sim card (bypassing T-mobile) and power up the phone and use all its functions including navigating settings without the annoying popup, this seems to point to T-MOBILE BEING THE CULPRIT.

T-mobile tech support ‘assured’ me 6x itwas an LG problem LG will fix by midnight EDT tonight (Sunday). They have 2 hours left. I believe T-mobile is lying.

With hundreds of thousands of affected customers why has T-MOBILE NOT NOTIFIED THE MEDIA OR THEIR CUSTOMERS?

Userlevel 2

I have an LG 5 Arista. Metro is my carrier. Upon updating I got the LG IMS stopped working notification up until the update all was well. I live on a very very tight budget and the thought of an upgrade phone makes me break out into a sweat. I'm old school, so Tech challenged I'm dangerous. T-Mobile you have to do something to fix the situation.

I had the same issue today(May 22, 2022). I ran the clear data but this solution didn’t work on my LG G7
Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage Force stop and clear data.

That could be a virus!!!

I have the same issue on both of my in-laws LG G6 phones. Both started showing the IMS error at the same time. I am a computer nerd and I have tried every possible ways to fix it. And it didn’t work. finally i replaced the SIM card from my LG V60  to see what happens. When I put the SIM card back, my LG V60 also started showing the same error. This is definitely a malware or a bug that sits on SIM cards. 

i have this problem on V30 from this morning. My husband V60 ThinQ got this issue a few hours ago and his phone stopped working at all, mine functions but popup does not go away.  i just tried Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage Force stop and clear data.

it worked, at least it took away the popup. Thank you

But did it REALLY work?? I have a V30 and did the same as you earlier today as to what you note. But mine came back as soon as i turned wifi on and took it off airplane mode after the fix. Did yours stay fixed?

Userlevel 2

The other thread has a fix I copied below, it worked on my Stylus 4. Be persistent, keep tapping what you need thru the popups.

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

I don't even see 3 dots...wtheck??? :-/ 

Useless