Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.
icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 June 2023, 15:48

View original

346 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My family will be switching to someone else. Not going to use my debit card or bank account info especially since a T Mobile employee had stolen my credit card number. I was able to get the money back since it was the credit company's money not my own... With a debit card it will be impossible to get the money back if the debit card number gets stolen since it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card... So since my info was already stolen once by these idiots we will be switching to another company now.. This is what happens when you screw over your customers.... It's insane... And T Mobile had 3 data breaches already... 

Mint Mobile here I come after 13 years as a loyal customer of T-Mobiles I am leaving along with my 4 lines. Always paid on time via my credit card and this is the thanks T-Mo has for loyal customers? I can see if they did this with new customers but to do this to long standing customers is just stupid business.

I needed new phones anyway..by Felicia

Tmobile is in the process of buying Mint. Also if you switch to Mint you will lose domestic roaming and a couple of other features not offered to MNVO’s.

UN-CARRIER no longer, now just acting like one of the other big cellular companies.  Oh wait no your not, your worse, because AT&T and VZW honor Autopay discounts with credit cards because they understand it helps keep their customers protected.  I am looking for a new carrier that will do what they say and say what they do!!!  Goodbye Big Pink!!! 

Att is doing the same thing. I have them and tmobile, they're knocking my atuopay credit down to $5 from $10. 

Don't let these companies tell you..it's about a surcharge because your using a credit card to pay your billing.  The change is due to getting the banks and credit card service set up for the cbdc scoring system. Just sayn

I just spoke to customer service to be sure they aren’t making any exceptions to avoid losing customers and she said that they are not… just to save anyone else the hassle of having to call in.  I, for one, WILL NOT give my bank account info to a company that has a shaky past with data breaches.  Not to mention, losing the built-in insurance I get from the credit card I use to pay my bill.  Time to shop for a new provider.

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.

Yep, bad decision on their part and my “happy” customer score just went from 10 to zero. Irresponsible payment method, won’t be happening.

The best alternative is to wait for the X-mas season.

At that time there will be many offers to entice new subscribers.

There could be buy-out incentives to payoff the old carrier.

That could be the best time to make the switch.

I will be looking for another carrier… unacceptable..

The agreement with my credit card for cell phone insurance is that I pay the monthly bill with the credit card. Such a unfortunate situation that I have to choose between being insured for this $1000 phone or paying an additional $5 a month for nothing. So disappointed with this carrier.

Don't accept this crap. I called customer service when I got the message about this theft. The representative had the nerve to lie and tell me it's because credit cards are NOT secure. So I filed a complaint with the BBB. I will NOT be giving T-Mobile any of my bank account information EVER. I will drop them if they try to make me. Then I'll find out the truth to their other lie that they don't have us in a contract.

And I didn't even know about the data breaches they had! As a paying subscriber that could have been compromised in these breaches why didn't T-Mobile notify me?

Every T-Mobile subscriber needs to do the same so they see that trying to screw their customers to save the 3% ish credit card processing fee and saving more money by raising millions of subscriber's bills is a horrific mistake that will cause a loss of money and subscribers and negatively affect their stock as well.

Fight back and demand the status quo remains or dump these crooks.

On my current plan I was paying $70 with a credit card on autopay and receiving a $10 credit.  So, TMobile was, supposedly, paying roughly $2.10 (3% of $70) in credit card fees.  

I refuse to give TMobile assess to my bank account, so, now I pay $80 with a credit card - no discount and TMobile pays $2.40 in fees.  TMobile screws a formerly happy customer and makes an additional $9.70 each month - assuming I keep my service.  What a windfall for TMobile.  

I feel like I had a contract with TMobile and they changed the terms.  So much for customer satisfaction and loyalty.

I moved 3 lines from ATT to T-Mobile because the cost was cheaper. Now without the autopay discount, I am paying almost the exact same amount. What was the point of switching T-Mobile? If it wasn’t for MLB, I wouldn’t have any reason to stay. At the very least you should keep your terms the same for my entire 2-year contract. 

I’ve also read about the financial burden from customers who don’t pay their bill. How can autopay with a credit card not be a benefit to customers who do pay on time? It would be a simple benefit for your customers who make you a profit.

Everyone has the issue with a security breech, 

but the real issue is a multimillion dollar corporation is having Credit Card companies (another multi million dollar corporation) “eat into their revenue”

Then they give you the choice to either risk your bank information getting stolen or no more discount,

T Mobile has the right to change THEIR policies,

but they do not have the right to force anyone to do something they do not agree to, this is called a breech of contract and you can simply walk away from the contract, return all equipment and move on, 

Again, the reality is this

on millionaire doesn’t want to pay another millionaire, so they force you, the consumer, to take on their responsibilities

we are contracted to pay T-Mobile, that’s it

if t mobile has issue with the people that are in charge of how we pay them, then that is between them and the credit card companies, not us….we pay, that’s it, and if you were given the autopay discount and now all of a sudden that doesnt work for them anymore…

LAWSUIT

Here’s my response to T-Mobile on this change sent snail mail to the customer relations address.  Hopefully enough people will take the time to complain and have it changed back:

Good day T-Mobile Customer Relations,

I have an issue with your new auto pay policy forcing me to switch from a credit card to a debit card or bank account to continue to receive my $10 per month discount.

I understand that you are a business, and this change is a business move to bring in additional revenue without the added credit card company charges.  From a consumer standpoint this is a bad idea.  I don’t want a business having access to my bank account either through a direct withdrawal or debit transaction.  Too many businesses have security breaches.  We see the headlines where the company says basically, “Oops, we had a security breach but here’s a year free credit monitoring.” And we’re supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy. 

If money goes missing from my bank account through either of those transaction types, the money is gone and it’s up to me to deal with my bank and show that I did not authorize it.  It takes time and energy to prove someone else did something wrong before I get my money back and I’d most likely be charged with a stop payment fee from my bank. 

When I pay with a credit card, I’m safer from fraud.  I elect to pay you a certain amount every month and you charge my card.  If there’s fraud or money has been incorrectly charged to my account I call the credit card company, explain what happened, possibly fill out a form, and the charge is removed.  Problem solved.  I may need to have a new card sent but the process is smooth, including activation of the replacement card. 

You have already realized the benefits of having customers use autopay by the time savings, cost savings, consistent revenue on time, increased revenue by people more willing to purchase with the card already on the account, and other ways too.  Now you appear to look greedy, and it makes me want to go back to paper billing and spend 50 cents on a stamp each month and mail you a check as I have free checking from my bank. 

Please cancel this change or revert to the credit card autopay with discount. 

Thank you for your time,

I just stopped autopay. I will be snail mailing my check in.

I am in the same boat. Just opened account with T-Mobile 4 month ago, my choices were Mint or T-Mobile. I discussed credit card explicitly while enrolling... why?  

• With credit card I have insurance from Amex.
  • I never use debit card or checking account because of security.  
  • if somebody states that they would like to remove fees for credit card use… fees are not 12% they are just 2.3%

Is it even legal to violate terms of agreement during sign up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am in the same boat. Just opened account with T-Mobile 4 month ago, my choices were Mint or T-Mobile. I discussed credit card explicitly while enrolling... why?  

• if somebody states that they would like to remove fees for credit card use… fees are not 12% they are just 2.3%

Short answer is yes.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

for what its worth TMO is in the process of acquiring Mint..so you would have been in the same boat no matter the choice on this one. V allows CC usage but no discount for using it unless its the Verizon CC card. ATT just lowered their discount from $10 per month per line to $5 and only with certain accounts.

Badge

T-Mobile has had 3 major data breaches since I signed on with them.

In each case, I have had to cancel cards and monitor my credit.

T-Mobile’s response to their failures?  Each time has been to place a bigger burden on me to assume greater risk both in how their new security works (such as requiring me to use a 3rd party to store my sign on credentials) or to shift more of the risk directly on to me.

Such as demanding I use a debit card or provide my banking information to allow T-Mobile to pull funds via a means with less consumer protection, but which exposes the customer to far greater risk.

After 3 breaches, there’s no way I would trust T-Mobile with even a new credit card number, much less my bank account information.  So I’m cancelling AutoPay.  The risk is too high.

Taking away a 14% discount to make up for a (claimed) 3% charge from the credit companies isn’t really making sense.  As an excuse, that is a joke.

It also makes ATT & T-Mobile the same cost, with ATT offering better data limits.  As a marketing strategy it seems unwise.

I used to recommend T-Mobile to friends.   But increasing the price I pay by 14% because they lost my information to hackers is just not a way to keep customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

since 2022 V was hacked 3 times.

since 2022 TMO was hit 3 times.

ATT was hit 2 times including 2 months ago.

mainly for those that are wanting to jump..dig into those other options..many of you are only concentrating on looking up stuff for TMO but not any of the other carriers youre thinking about jumping to.

Badge

Since I am no more willing to hand any of the others a debit card or bank account information, it’s a moot point how many times they were all hacked.

What is a point is the one I was making - without the discount, T-Mobile is no longer price competitive with AT&T, and AT&T has better data limits for the same price.  I’ve no idea WRT Verizon.

“Everybody blows” isn’t really a good marketing position either.

And, as I said, after three strikes, deciding on a policy that puts me at greater risk in the next round of data breaches is an even worse one.

Claiming that the 3% charge justifies what is basically a 14% price increase is also a turnoff.

So feel free to address those points.   Rather than complain that I’m picking on T-Mobile as if it were the only offender.   I wasn’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Since I am no more willing to hand any of the others a debit card or bank account information, it’s a moot point how many times they were all hacked.

What is a point is the one I was making - without the discount, T-Mobile is no longer price competitive with AT&T, and AT&T has better data limits for the same price.  I’ve no idea WRT Verizon.

“Everybody blows” isn’t really a good marketing position either.

And, as I said, after three strikes, deciding on a policy that puts me at greater risk in the next round of data breaches is an even worse one.

Claiming that the 3% charge justifies what is basically a 14% price increase is also a turnoff.

So feel free to address those points.   Rather than complain that I’m picking on T-Mobile as if it were the only offender.   I wasn’t.

did TMO prmote this somewhere?

my point is pretty simple..its for ALL to do a bit of research before up and jumping. most of yall keep pointing out how youre jumping to V due to this whole ordeal..which V does not give discounts for CC card auto pay (you must use the V CC card  to get the discount if youre going the CC route)..ATT just cut their discount in half from $10 per line per month to $5..and limited it to only certain plans (would be interesting to see why they cut theirs in half out of the blue)..research.. but TMOs been hacked such and such amounts of times..yeah..they all did lol..numerous times..even this year its happened.

since you seem to have missed the bottom part of my post above yours i’ll re add it here..might even bold it for those that cant see it…

mainly for those that are wanting to jump..dig into those other options..many of you are only concentrating on looking up stuff for TMO but not any of the other carriers youre thinking about jumping to.”

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

How many other carriers pay the plans taxes when you start looking? I'll be interested.

TMobile does NOT pay your taxes.  That’s silly.  They build the taxes into the price of your plan and don’t supply the detail.  So, instead of saying your plan is $55 plus $5 taxes they say your plan is $60, taxes included!  Woo!  It’s marketing BS.  Don’t fall for it.

I just posted an open letter to management re this up-charge on Reddit.  Please pile on and comment on Reddit since that is a much more visible/public venue, rather than this forum site T-Mobile keeps in the closet and out of public view.  It only exists to let people vent and then move along quickly to the acceptance stage.  Don't let TMobile manipulate you.

Here’s the open letter:  https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/15fqxvh/open_letter_to_tmobile_management_re_autopay/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

How many other carriers pay the plans taxes when you start looking? I'll be interested.

TMobile does NOT pay your taxes.  That’s silly.  They build the taxes into the price of your plan and don’t supply the detail.  So, instead of saying your plan is $55 plus $5 taxes they say your plan is $60, taxes included!  Woo!  It’s marketing BS.  Don’t fall for it.

It's funny since I was paying more for service on my old plan with taxes than I'm paying now for 2 lines with taxes paid Depending on where you live taxes are more than $5.

https://www.wirefly.com/guides/cell-phone-tax-by-state

for what its worth TMO is in the process of acquiring Mint..so you would have been in the same boat no matter the choice on this one. V allows CC usage but no discount for using it unless its the Verizon CC card. ATT just lowered their discount from $10 per month per line to $5 and only with certain accounts.

Mint still works, with CC, great choice for those who moves from T-Mobile, if they prepay for a year or 15 months right now. Another option is comcast. Every company has limitation. What T-Mobile did seem wrong.