Question

trade in phone stolen while in transit with ups and empty box delivered.

• 8 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I sent my trade in phone in a box with prepaid label by UPS. I have a drop off receipt with a weight of .45 lbs. My trade in was delivered at the Dock with a weight of .20 lbs. T mobile said box was empty. I am being charged $33.34 a month for a $799 S22 that was supposed to be free with my trade in. I did everything correctly. Obviously,  the phone was removed from the box while in transit with UPS. MY responsibility ended when I dropped off the phone in box with prepaid label and got a receipt.  Isn't T Mobile responsible for investigating UPS theft? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You are the shipper.  You need to open up an investigation with UPS to find out what happened and file a claim with them if they determine that something happened to your trade-in device while they were in possession of it.  Report the device as missing to T-Mobile and if UPS determines they can’t find it.  Report it lost and have it blacklisted.  The trade-in process unfortunately is not complete until Assurant or Asurion scans in your device and accepts the trade-in.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Since the weight changed from the time you dropped it off to the time you shipped it UPS will adjust charges reflecting it. So did UPS issue the label or Tmobile? 

Badge

Tmobile called me and said they found the phone and will credit me. They are unable to say exactly how or where they found it...at least I am getting my new S22 for free.