Solved

Price Lock

Userlevel 4
Badge

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

icon

Best answer by wireproof 22 May 2024, 21:44

View original

279 replies

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person angry about this.

Back in 2017 we got a $30/month plan for people over 55, two phones, so $60/month (with autopay). The price was locked in for life, or so T-Mobile claimed. In 2019, my husband took a job outside of the continental US, and he had to get a new phone and plan there. I insisted we continue paying the $60/month to T-Mobile, because I didn't want to lose our "price lock." For the 2 1/2 years that we lived there, we kept our T-Mobile account active, paying them $720 a year, thinking it would pay off in the long run.

I'm not going to accept this without a fight.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what I need to say when I contact the FCC and other agencies? I'm not sure I still have our original contract, to prove the price lock.

Userlevel 1

This is bull!  How despicable to raise the price of the 55+ plan. It appears to be a poorly veiled plan to push people to newer plans which cost more. I feel I paid inflated prices for new phones through T-Mobile, but justified it given the plan price. Squeezing those of us who are over 55 who are loyal, honest, and believe in right and wrong is a truly ugly move by T-Mobile. I hope they thought out the optics of this when someone calls them on it on the internet or television.  

Badge

Also file complaint with your state attorney generals office

Userlevel 1

They tried to get me to change my plan by saying it would save me about $10 a month. I said no that's not worth it. I filed a complaint with the fcc  so hopefully they will make them honor the contract we all signed up for.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Like the other T-Mobile customers in this thread, I signed up for a 55+ rate plan with the assurance that my monthly rate was price-locked for life.  This incentive was a primary reason that I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.  Now, T-Mobile is trying to raise my monthly rate by $10.00.  When I spoke to their customer service people this morning they told me that there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem.  I also noted that they changed all of the marketing information on their web site to delete all references to the price-lock guarantee which I was offered when I set up the account.  We need to find a way to complain loudly to T-Mobile about this breach of contract and breach of trust.  If we do nothing, they will raise our rates again in the future.  Let’s fight back.  Thanks for listening.

Userlevel 4

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

I love how T-Mobile marks this thread as “Solved”😡  It is anything BUT solved!  Let’s all keep going on fighting this breach of contract.  Do everything you can think of to fight it, and keep this community informed of what you do.  For example, I just submitted a complaint to the SC Department of Consumer Affairs.  (I live in SC).  I’m guessing each state has a similar organization.  Also, it would be a good idea to complain to your representatives in government (Congressmen, Senators, etc.)  With enough information submitted, it should be clear that T-Mobile is guilty of a breach of contract.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I highly recommend filing a complaint against T-Mobile with the Federal Communications Commission.  The online process only takes five (5) minutes.  If enough T-Mobile customers complain loudly and forcefully, perhaps the FCC will do something.  We have nothing to lose by taking a shot.  Here is the link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Our plan is Magenta 55 which was set for life. When we look at the Price Lock information it sounds like we may be exempt from new rate increases that the message sent informed us of ($5.00 per line)??? Does anyone know? Seems we should be!

Userlevel 3

T-Mobile says one thing then does another, trying to hide behind “well the price of everything is going up” - I wasted 45 mins listening to BS from a rep in the Philippines likely getting paid $3 an hour…..      You would think their costs should be going down by moving customer service to a 3rd world country.    I was with ATT for almost 20 years, then switched to T-Mobile 7 years ago….    I am on a grandfathered 55+ plan and I was told it would be price locked unless I changed to another plan.     They are LIARS…….    They used to be a great company, but not anymore - with less than 10 days notice they are increasing the price of my service by almost 17%   ($60 two lines / $10 increase).   I don’t need a Pilipino telling me its only $5  a line.   I will file FCC/ State Board of Public Utilities & State Attorney General & State Consumer Affairs (unfair business practices).   Plus, BBB / YELP/ PissedConsumer/ FB/ X/ Tick Tock/ & Insta.   They went from Hero to Zero ….    I doubt T-Mobile will do anything until they realize they are hemorrhaging loyal customers and become inundated with complaints.  There are better, lower priced choices. from other carriers and resellers. I intend on switching

Badge

Good luck looking for a new plan for a similar price as your grandfathered rate plus $2 a line.

🤣🤣🤣thanks!

Badge

My message said $5 per line and I have 4 lines: 2 phones, a watch & home internet. Whatever happened to price lock? My bill will be going up $40? I will be looking elsewhere for service. For one thing, and especially with all the trouble I’ve had lately with my 5G home internet along with Comcast coming out with a new internet service they are calling NOW for $30/month including taxes, fees and gateway making them less expensive than T-Mobile and more stable that will likely be my first change. That alone will save me $15/month (I pay $40 for the internet which will soon be $45). I’m still paying off phones and a watch but will look elsewhere as soon as those are done. T-Mobile has become just like all the others. Loyalty is a one way street with them. 

Exactly! Service isn't getting better, but yet price is going up! Plus they limit the unlimited plan

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have filled my FCC complaint as well. I moved quite some time ago to a One plan with the promise that my rate was locked for life. But now this new CEO has decided he no longer needs to honor the contract made. 

I encourage as many of you as possible to file a complaint as well. I’m also looking to see if the FTC might also be a place to complain.

The issue is that T-Mobile knows that even with this price increase it’s still lower than you can find anywhere else, so they don’t care. 

I remember when T-Mobile treated customers like they were important. Now they are just another large corporation phone company that can no longer be trusted. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have also submitted a BBB complaint as well as a complaint to the FTC (https://www.report fraud.ftc.gov) as well. I encourage others to do the same. We may not get T-Mobile to change the rate back, but we can sure waste a lot of their time dealing with as many complaints as possible. 

Userlevel 3

Relevant paragraph from T-Mobile’s January 2017 announcement. The entire announcement is still on their web site. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next

New Rule: Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay –Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE
Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched anotherindustry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. Withthe Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-MobileONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will neverchange the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay.

They’re trying to tell me it isn’t clear (it is) and that their only obligation with “price lock” is to pay my final bill if i choose to leave because of a price increase. But, their price lock came later, and doesn’t supercede their earlier promise not to increase the price to those who signed up for their “One” plan at the time.

This was the concern when they merged with Sprint, removing the 4th carrier from the board, that consumers would end up paying higher prices. I’ve spend several hours talking with T-Mobile customer care, but they do little more than read from “the script” despite my pointing out the uncarrier “un-contract” which is on their own web site, and they’re choosing to ignore it. I’ve gone ahead and filed complaints with the FCC, the Anti-trust DIvision of the DOJ, my state’s Attorney General, and my state’s PUC. I imagine that a team of lawyers is chomping at the bit, readying a class action lawsuit, seeking injunctive relief, as well as some hefty damages for material breach of contract.

I was promised this as a lifetime rate also. No help with customer service either. Fraud complaint filed with the FTC. Currently shopping for alternative providers.

I just filed complaint with FCC. 

Same here -- I signed up for my TMo One plan in 2017 shortly after this  January 5, 2017 press release was issued: https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next

It includes the following promise:

“New Rule:  Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay – Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE

Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched another industry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. With the Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-Mobile ONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will never change the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay.”

There are no asterisks, footnotes or fine print.  Language could not be clearer.  For those of us who have remained on the One plan, its hard to see how T-Mobile can now raise the fee. I spent hours this morning on the phone with customer care, and they were unable to provide a justification or solution.

Userlevel 3

My local PUC suggested filing a Fraud complaint with the FTC as well, which I’ve just done.

My local PUC suggested filing a Fraud complaint with the FTC as well, which I’ve just done.

I just filed a fraud complaint with the FTC as well.   All of those affected should do so. 

I think it may be time to get a lawyer. To charge per line and this is something grandfathered in. With all the price lock guarantee using the word guarantee means something. My service has been terrible and charging more?

I’m happy to help some with price of a lawyer. If enough of us hold them to their word we’ll get a settlement big enough to pay a new plan for the rest of my life. 

I totally agree. I have filed my complaint with the FCC. Google what grandfather plan means. They can only raise rates on new customers not ones who were grandfather in.  This is fraud!

I have also submitted a BBB complaint as well as a complaint to the FTC (https://www.report fraud.ftc.gov) as well. I encourage others to do the same. We may not get T-Mobile to change the rate back, but we can sure waste a lot of their time dealing with as many complaints as possible. 

I totally agree. I have filed my complaint with the FCC. Google what grandfather plan means. They can only raise rates on new customers not ones who were grandfather in.  This is fraud

I totally agree. I have filed my complaint with the FCC. Google what grandfather plan means. They can only raise rates on new customers not ones who were grandfather in

This is fraud 

I just filed a fraud complaint with the FTC as well.   All of those affected should do so. 

I totally agree. I have filed my complaint with the FCC. Google what grandfather plan means. They can only raise rates on new customers not ones wjo wete grandfather in

Relevant paragraph from T-Mobile’s January 2017 announcement. The entire announcement is still on their web site. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next

New Rule: Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay –Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE
Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched anotherindustry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. Withthe Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-MobileONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will neverchange the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay.

They’re trying to tell me it isn’t clear (it is) and that their only obligation with “price lock” is to pay my final bill if i choose to leave because of a price increase. But, their price lock came later, and doesn’t supercede their earlier promise not to increase the price to those who signed up for their “One” plan at the time.

This was the concern when they merged with Sprint, removing the 4th carrier from the board, that consumers would end up paying higher prices. I’ve spend several hours talking with T-Mobile customer care, but they do little more than read from “the script” despite my pointing out the uncarrier “un-contract” which is on their own web site, and they’re choosing to ignore it. I’ve gone ahead and filed complaints with the FCC, the Anti-trust DIvision of the DOJ, my state’s Attorney General, and my state’s PUC. I imagine that a team of lawyers is chomping at the bit, readying a class action lawsuit, seeking injunctive relief, as well as some hefty damages for material breach of contract.

I totally agree. I have filed my complaint with the FCC. Google what grandfather plan means. They can only raise rates on new customers not ones who were grandfather in.  This is fraud!