Solved

Price Lock

Userlevel 4
Badge

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

icon

Best answer by wireproof 22 May 2024, 21:44

View original

279 replies

I too am a ONE Unlimited Plan and am furious. I filed a complaint with the FCC yesterday. They made a promise, now keep it. The complaint took all of 5 minutes. It was delivered to TM today. I encourage you all to do the same.

They had record profits in 2023 and Q1 in 2024 as well.  

2 people have reached out to me from the CEO’s Executive Social Care Team offering to check my account for new phones or new plans. My response is simple. I’m a simple person. I want to keep my plan and my price. 

Kind of reminds me of the line we all heard …. if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Let’s see, how’s that working out. 

Bring John Legere back! 

Userlevel 3

Nailed it. That's all we want, to keep the plan we have at the price were now paying, as promised to us in their Uncarrier Un-contract. It's inconceivable to me that T-Mobile thinks they can get away with this without blowback from their subscribers, or inviting a class action lawsuit or an FTC fraud investigation. In the words of John Legere, “This is bullshit!” 

Same here. We should all file a complaint with the FCC. Has anyone initiated a class action lawsuit yet?

Customer Service tried to tell me there was no guarantee with the 55+ rate plan. I’m so relieved to see others here to confirm there was. I’ve been with T-Mobile for 20 years and this really pisses me off. They broke their promise!! I’m filing with the FCC and will join any class action lawsuit. Just let me know if one is started.

Not sure if anyone has realized this but the price lock policy was changed back in January.  Unfortunately we weren’t paying attention to their potential use of it until yesterday.  Also the policy specifically stated that anyone with pricelock prior to January 2024 shouldn’t be affected.  Clearly it looks like that’s not the case.  Even a small change on your rate plan can allow the price lock to expire.   This feels very bait and switch like and they are using the “updated” policy as the enforcement.  I would recommend everyone to file a complaint with both the fcc and the DOJ antitrust as when the merger took place, there were concerns that this would happen.  Here is a link to the January article.

https://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-new-price-lock-policy-3404851/

I have the One plan for probably 10+ years and have made no changes to it except to add the increased price for better international calling and more tethering and that was probably 9 years ago.

Yet I received the price change notice. So this grandfathered in and no change notice is totally bogus. That is not what they are doing. 

But I see where they may be getting away with this by eliminating the $5/line/month for autopay. They can claim the discount is not part of the locked in price. I say that is splitting hairs nonsense. 

Strangely, like a few others, the website says my June bill will still be the same. It’s clear they are screwed up on this. 

The customer service rep I spoke with said they are not taking away the autopay discount. She confirmed what my text told me, that they are raising the monthly fee by $5 per line. I wouldn't even be as upset if they were, in fact, eliminating the autopay discount. As you say, it is "splitting hairs," but it doesn't seem as blatant of a contract breach as what they're doing. And if they merely took away that autopay discount, while still leaving our grandfathered pricelock in place, at least we'd know there would be no more future increases. THAT is what upsets me. The 10 bucks a month for our two phones isn't the end of the world, but the likely continued increases over the next 25 years (that I hope to be alive), THAT could add up to a LOT.

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I was also sold the 55+ price for life plan some years back. I signed up because it sounded like a great deal not having to worry about rate increases on a low income. T-Mobile is a liar company that used bait and switch tactics, or so it appears. I am going to file a complaint with my state Attorney General and any other agency that will listen. I will also be emailing my representatives and local media to expose this company as a predator company using fraud tactics to sell their service. Everyone being affected by this, please do the same. They are breaking a promise so they can open the door to future rate increases and more frequently. I have kept my part of the deal all these years, so should they. I am sick of these big companies screwing over customers and not being held accountable.  

Userlevel 1

Add me to the list. When we signed up for 55+ plan we were also told no price increase ever. In fact, T-Mobile’s May 2023 Term & Conditions actually states, “if you are on a price-lock guaranteed Rate Plan, we will not increase your monthly recurring Service charge (“Recurring Charge”) for the period that applies to your Rate Plan, or if no specific period applies, for as long as you continuously remain a customer in good standing on a qualifying Rate Plan.”

We have been Sprint/T-Mobile customers since 2000 which meant nothing to the customer care reps I talked to. 

Glad I’m not the only one!  I have been in conversations with T-Mobile about this.  So far they have not acknowledged that there was such a plan in place, and told me that I was pre “Price Lock” so my plan does not apply.  Currently I am requesting a copy of my initial contract agreement with them.  So far, they can’t come up with it.   I feel as though this is futile, but I’m willing to stay in the fight.  For us this increases our bill $120 per year.  As we approach our senior years, the idea is to keep as much money as we can!    And yes, the FCC complaint website is good to go to because they are bound to connect with the consumer to “rectify” any issues.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you APE for your message.

I have done both the FCC filing and an email to Mr. Sievert.

FCC was very quick to respond to my compliant inquiry and assigned me a number to the case.  I was told T-Mobile has 30 days to respond to my inquiry.

I’m hoping for the best outcome!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Promised fixed price “for life” Yet, with this increase they’ve instructed their staff to deny, deny, deny.

Get on social, people. Best way to get their attention.

Userlevel 1

Yeah I am in the same boat, I was a customer since 2017 and I have the one plan. Despite the new plans that came out over the years, I was still able to retain my one plan along with some bogo line discounts, effectively allowing me to save almost half every month. Only things that were an issue with the plan was that I was not eligible for some locked phone discounts, but that didn’t matter much to me since I mostly use BYOD anyway.

I wouldn’t have particularly mind if there was no autopay discount since there are plenty of targeted cash back credit cards out there to offset the discount. If I change to the essentials plan to replace my current One plan, I would be paying around $80-$100 extra a month since the discounts would no longer apply according to a chat rep.

I used to work for an MVNO company that operated under Sprint’s network but supported both GSM/CDMA where Sprint was used for CDMA, so this whole thing is raising red flags for me. If T-Mobile can get away with this, it sets precedent for the company to push limits which could cause a domino effect where  T-Mobile could wiggle their way to give grandfathered customers the ultimatum to change to a newer plan, or to no longer be able to use the service in the next cycle.

I’m really hoping it doesn’t come to a class action. As I have said before, the amount that individuals would get from the settlement is extremely small in comparison to the money current grandfathered customers would be providing to T-Mobile after a year of service, assuming they have at least 3 lines.

For anyone that are talking to or have talked to customer reps, please pay attention to your account’s add-ons and try to avoid in-store reps unless necessary, its not uncommon for reps to put an addon under your nose.

Like with other customers in this thread, my June bill is currently unaffected.

Userlevel 1

They Say its only a $5 per line charge!! Well that 5$ equals to a 16.7% INCREASE!!!!!!!!!! How many companies raise that much after they promise you no increase ever!!!!!!! I have 3 lines=to a 15$ monthly increase!! I know they won’t miss the $1,260 they would get from me yearly however to make up that they have to collect from 21 customers the 5$ increase!!!! All who stay just remember they can increase anytime they want  another 16.7% increase.. Remember that when you buy your next high dollar cell phone from them!!! They have no crediblity!!!

Userlevel 1

They say its only a 5$ increase on a 30$ plan!  That equals to a 16.7% Increase & they have no credtiblity anymore when they promise you never an increase.. Remember that when u buy your next high dollar phone from them.  Since they have lost all credibility they can raise your bill another 16.7% increase anytime they want!! The 1260$ per year they will lose from me they will make it up by charging 21 other customers the 5$ 16.7% increase. I have never had a company break their promise/contract with me before,  This speaks loudly that their word & contracts mean nothing to them.  Good luck to all that will continue service with them!!! 

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

I’m also in the same boat only I pay $60 for 2 lines since 2017 with a Price Lock guarantee. I called customer service and received the same canned answer as everyone else! Notice how this topic is marked “SOLVED”? 🙄

I have a question.   I was also promised no price increases so I have been checking other companies.   Has anyone had any experience with Mint Mobile $15/month, Visible $25/month, Consumer Cellular $20-$50/month or Tello $10-$25/month?   I have been with Sprint/T Mobile ever since I can remember but it may be time to switch.   (Especially for those of us who are retired on a fixed budget.)   Let me know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any other carriers.  Thanks

My son is with Mint Mobile and they have been ok, not great. But….they are now T-Mobile. They bought them out and Mint Mobile uses their equipment. I thought of going there, but it’s still giving TM my money. Ugh!!

I submitted my FCC complaint with this details.  Feel free to copy and use in your FCC complaint if you have the same situation.

We signed up in 2017 for 55+ plan with promises from T-Mobile and then CEO John Legere that our monthly plan prices were locked for life.  Now they are stating rates will increase next month $5/line.  This a breach of the company’s promise to us (the elderly) who are struggling like everyone with inflation issues.  I am in favor of a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile and their dishonest business practices.  Current subscribers should be grandfathered in and our rates should remain unchanged.

Let’s all be sure to report this to the FCC. Share this link.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The end of price lock means that TMobile is breaking their word to never increase the price of their plans for those of us loyal enough to stick around for many years.  We’ve been TMobile customers since before they were TMobile, and have loved them.  But, we find this anti-customer move the complete opposite of what we’ve loved about TMobile for years. Previously, they were the customer-first carrier that always had our back.  Now, TMobile has completely lost its way.  Zero integrity, shareholders first rather than customers. The whole thing is very sad.  TMobile is no longer the uncarrier.  It’s simply just another big company who does not care about customers.  Very sad. 

Badge

I left Sprint and came over to T-Mobile years ago and now T-Mobile and Sprint are united, they’re starting the same price increase BS!  If T-Mobile got rid of those stupid perks and just give cell phone service perhaps they could honor their promise about pricing!  Greed and deception!!

Check out the MVNO’s. Many have great reputations, lower cost without all the perk games the major carriers are playing. Much more economical for the same service, even if you want to pay for some of the perks like Netflix. I have new SIM cards on the way and will be leaving after this month's service. This move burned years of well-earned customer goodwill and Mike Sievert has single handedly undone all the great work John Legere lead. Shame!

What is an MVNO?

What is an MVNO?

Mobile virtual network operator

Basically, they lease bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently. T-Mobile has many MVNO’s that meet a variety of customer situations as does Verizon and AT&T. They don’t allow the MVNO’s to advertise it’s the same service for obvious reasons. There may be a lower prioritization on super busy towers but that will impact less than a single percent of customers and frankly if you are deprioritized you likely wouldn’t know it. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223-Phone-Form-Descriptions-of-Complaint-Issues

I just filed a complaint with the FCC. Hopefully a lot of people do so as well. Maybe they’ll do something about it. Probably a class action lawsuit. Here’s the URL is you want to file a complaint. It’s easy to do!

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223-Phone-Form-Descriptions-of-Complaint-Issues

Userlevel 2

Spent an hour on cs chat last night. Isaac, cs person,was barried in chat complaints. He told me it's  $10, no big deal (wow). I told him if it wasn't a big deal, then TM can just pay it for me. He told me there is nothing TM can do about it. 

I've been a customer since March 2014. He said sorry you are unhappy but bill is going up. 

I will be leaving TM. Picked a plan out from Consumer Cellular for 55 a month, 2 lines; waiting for the end of billing cycle on 6/5. 

Also won't be moving to TM home Internet. Pulled plug on those plans with this cluster. 

Like many, I filed a complaint with FCC and plan to do the same with Michigan Attorney General.