Solved

Price Lock

Userlevel 4
Badge

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

icon

Best answer by wireproof 22 May 2024, 21:44

View original

280 replies

Userlevel 3

Spent an hour on cs chat last night. Isaac, cs person,was barried in chat complaints. He told me it's  $10, no big deal (wow). I told him if it wasn't a big deal, then TM can just pay it for me. He told me there is nothing TM can do about it. 

I've been a customer since March 2014. He said sorry you are unhappy but bill is going up. 

I will be leaving TM. Picked a plan out from Consumer Cellular for 55 a month, 2 lines; waiting for the end of billing cycle on 6/5. 

Also won't be moving to TM home Internet. Pulled plug on those plans with this cluster. 

Like many, I filed a complaint with FCC and plan to do the same with Michigan Attorney General. 

File with the FTC as well. I wrote to my local PUC, and they told me that Cellular doesn’t fall under their purvue, but that I should file a complaint with the FCC, which I had already done, and also file a fraud complaint with the FTC. I too had considered using T-Mobile for home internet, butthat’s not going to happen now.

I also note that there is a lawsuit againt T-Mobile moving forward that the judge refused to throw out, which is challenging the merger with Sprint. The claim is that reduced competition will result in higher prices. That claim is well founded, as we’ve all seen this past week. Thirteen State Attorneys General had previously tried to block the merger but they were unsuccessful. I’ve written my State AG and complained as well, since my state was one of the thirteen.

The price increase cannot go unchallenged. If T-Mobile is able to get away with this price increase despite their iron-clad promise, their Uncarrier Un-contract, to not raise prices, then how can we believe any other company that commits to never raising their price, such as Boost Infinite cellular, and CenturyLink Fiber price for life. I urge everyone to flood the FCC & FTC with complaints in a massive effort to stop T-Mobile’s breach of contract efforts.

I too was just notified via text that there would be a rate increase.

TEXT:

T-Mobile: For the first time in nearly a decade, we're making a change to the price of some of our monthly service plans. Starting on 06/05/24, your rate plan(s) will increase by $5 per line per month. You'll keep all the benefits you currently enjoy, and your rate plan type and bill due date remain the same. For more information, visit sms.t-mobile.com/4rTDezF5

i spent several hours yesterday on the website chat, as well as through chat on 611. I firmly insisted that after 20+ years with them, I was mad. We’d been lied to. After all was said and done, I asked for a lifetime guaranteed statement. Was given that by both agents through chat. I screen shot most of my chat sessions as proof. I’m expecting the same $60, no additional charges, to be my monthly automatic charge. I’ll let you know mid-June!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good!

Where’s the promise we will never!! Raise your rate ! You said advertised , guaranteed ! Won’t raise rates 

Are you also allowing customers to get out of there plans for breach of contract on your part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Are you also allowing customers to get out of there plans for breach of contract on your part.

There's no service contract just equipment plans.

You can leave anytime as long as your phone is paid off.

Userlevel 4

Hope all have a good Memorial Day weekend.  However, don’t forget… on Tuesday we need to get back on track to hold T-Mobile’s feet to the fire.  It seems it’s up to all of us to force them to find some integrity amongst all the corporate greed.  Honesty and integrity are the most important character traits … whether as an individual or a corporation.  This new regime at T-Mobile seems to think it’s optional.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Like so many others I just received a text notice of a June $5 increase. At first I thought it was just me, recalling my Magenta Unlimited 55 plan (opened 2021) had a rate lock guarantee, for at least for 10 years. Thinking that must be an over sight in T Mobile account records I contacted T Mobile’s Customer Support (@ 5/26/24, 4:21PM) and explained to a very nice Service Representative (named Patience) that I was promised a rate lock and not subject to rate increases. The Representative said she has been with T Mobile for 7 years and was not even aware T Mobile ever offered such a rate lock guarantee. We went around in circles for almost an hour, so I asked to speak with a supervisor, who's name is George. George tried very diplomatically using word-salad to tell me that basically I had no such guarantee, and that even if I did, it was T Mobile’s prerogative to change its mind, so there was nothing he could or would do for me. Realizing I was wasting my time talking with George, that is was very likely T Mobile’s management position was to make the rate increase to senior citizens regardless of what they promised and/or the consequences, basically “let them walk”, they’re old, after all how long are they going to live – Ouch! George ended the conversation by saying thanks for contacting T Mobile, was there anything else he could help me with today, I laughed out loud.  Now over the years I have had promises made to me before and broken, but honestly none so blatant as this. Given my documentation, and that so many other customers are making the same claim, and voicing similar concerns, I feel its necessary to right this injustice and take actions against T Mobile, and file a complaint with the FCC. It goes without saying I’ll find an alternative mobile service provider (I wont do business with liars) but I’m not leaving until T Mobile acknowledges they broke their promise to me/us and will change course on their actions. If you were impacted then please participate and take action.  I’ll end this post by saying its not the $5 its the principle. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

I have been a long time loyal customer of T-Mobile. 14 years and I'm a 68 year old widow having lost my husband of 45 years a couple of years ago. I live on only social security and just found out my magenta plan is going up by $12 a month. That's ridiculous and I can't afford it. When I called in the girl told me that her plan was increasing too. That's all I got. Feel bad for her because her plan was going up more than mine. What can I do ?

Christine Taylor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Personally, I am not a fan of Mike Sievert’s business strategy but it has made T-Mobile the most profitable US carrier and with those profits, comes network improvements.  I haven’t received any notification that my plan or lines are going to increase in price.  4 of my lines are on Magenta and mine is on Magenta Max.  

Userlevel 3

Reply after submitting formal complaint to the FCC.  What was T-Mobiles CEO thinking would happen? Hopefully this gets national attention.  Oh that’s right, T-Mobile had to do this because of inflation … wait … inflation? what inflation? …. CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CNN says inflation is more right wing propaganda.  This story will never make any news.

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. xxxxxxx was served on your provider on May 24, 2024.

Here's what you can expect from the FCC's informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
- The FCC's role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
- Your provider is required to submit to the FCC a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
- The FCC will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Companies break promises all the time, if they think the reputational damage will be less than the $ saved. This case was especially disappointing to me since their whole schtick was like “we’re different, help us defeat the bad guys! We have great customer service!”. And they stuck with until they got away with swallowing Sprint and not getting an anti-trust action. The T-Mobile I know would have just been honest and said “hey guys we made a bad deal, sorry! We know we made a promise but you gotta let us out of this!” And that’s all I asked repeatedly on the customer service chat. Just to be honest and say it, but they couldn’t of course. Just my opinions, I could be wrong.

I’m still not fully convinced they can do this even if they are ok with the reputational damage that comes with it. My clear memory of signing up for the One plan in 2018 was that it could never change, that “T-Mobile was signing on the dotted line” and all this weasel-wording about just paying your last month if they break the promise must have come way later and shouldn’t be enforceable for those older plans. The original un-contract language even says, in part,

CAN T-MOBILE CHANGE OR TERMINATE MY SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT?

Yes. Except as described below for Rate Plans with the price-lock guarantee (including the "Un-Contract Promise"),

If you are on a price-lock guaranteed Rate Plan, we will not increase your monthly recurring Service charge (“Recurring Charge”) for the period that applies to your Rate Plan, or, if no specific period applies, for as long as you continuously remain a customer in good standing on a qualifying Rate Plan.

Which appears to bind T-Mobile to the original terms. But, I guess they snuck something in on us somewhere along the line. Again, just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Same lie to my family, “Rates will never go up”!!! I file a complaint with the FCC. It only took a couple of minutes. Has anybody talked to an attorney yet?? It appears that there are a lot of people from all over the country that were lied too. It is not isolated to on store or person. This appears to be what the sales people were told to make the sale. Maybe speaking to an attorney on behalf of everybody (class action) can resolve this issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I suspect that the term “qualifying Rate Plan” … may not be qualifying anymore.

Don’t know what happened, but chatted for third time with agent yesterday after receiving June bill with rate increase to $69.24. We thought it had been settled and we would be paying no more than $60. Well, this agent said the account had been changed and rate increase was in effect. She worked her magic and put our account back on former Unlimited 55+ plan. Bill will remain as it was! Respectful persistence pays off! Actually, this agent made it sound like our account wouldn’t have been changed if we’d not chatted...🙄

I submitted a complaint with both the Federal Trade Commission (https://reportfraud.ftc.gov), and the FCC.

In my case T-Mobile denied I was given a price lock guarantee. That came after a lengthy debate with both a representative, and the supervision.

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

I filed a complaint with the FCC. Everyone should! It's the only way to get T-Mobile to undo this!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Good for you (us) because the more people that call out this scam the better!!!  I’ll look into the FTC as well, thanks for that tip.  Just an FYI, talking with my brother he told me that he experience some problems with Verizon so he switched to a company called Visible, he said its $25 a month, unlimited data, text, phone, and was available nation wide. I have no experience with Visible so I can’ recommend them, but I’m going to look into them as an alternative. 

Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not just the FCC and FTC. File a complaint with the Public Service Commision (if they regulate T-mobile in your state). And if you are feeling especially spicy, go ahead and drop a note to your congressional reps as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Don’t forget the FTC and PSC as well. I’ve heard that in states that regulate T-Mobile, a complaint to the PSC will require T-Mobile to respond. 

Userlevel 2

T-Mobile has blatantly lied to the consumer. They could care less if we leave or don’t . I left a carrier years ago because of this plan and what they “promised” and for them to come back with the following response is ludicrous “Thank you again for making sure we have covered absolutely everything. We did make a promise to you, and that promise is that we won't raise prices. And then the guarantee against that is that if we do raise our prices and it causes you to leave, we pay the final month's service charges, as long as you let us know within 60 days of that price change. While we never want to lose any part of our T-Mobile family, I understand needing to do what is best for you, and we've got you covered if you need to make that move. “ you have me covered ????? I am outraged and I have to say before this I actually enjoyed T-Mobile and their service . I have lost ALL faith and looking for a new provider . I am outraged and I hope there is a class action . T-Mobile you are a disgusting 

Userlevel 3

“And then the guarantee against that is that if we do raise our prices and it causes you to leave, we pay the final month's service charges, as long as you let us know within 60 days of that price change. “

“Price Lock” was introduced in May 2022, and said nothing about paying your final month’s service charge if they raise the price and you decide to leave. That was changed in January 2024, so they’re changing the agreement on everyone who signed up under Price Lock prior to January 2024 retroactively. 

My agreement pre-dates all of that, going back to January 2017, where those of us who signed up under their Uncarrier Un-contract. This wasn’t a price lock for us. It was an iron clad agreement that they would *never* raise our price. The only one who could change what we decide to pay is *us*. 

So there are two classes of subscriber that have a commitment affirming their price would never change. There are those of us who signed up in January 2017 and later (until May 2022) under the un-contract, and there are those who signed up under the price lock after May 2022 but before January 2024. Both classes of subscribers have suffered a breach of contract on T-Mobile’s part.

My advice is to file a complaint with the FCC, file a fraud complaint with the FTC, and if your state’s Attorney General is sympathetic (one of the 13 who sued to stop the Sprint merger) file a complaint with them.  T-mobile now wants to merge with U.S. Cellular, taking yet another player off the board, further reducing competition, and giving them an even less of an incentive to hold the line on price increases. Make your voice known and file a complaint opposing the merger. Last, I, too, am hoping a law firm picks up on this and files a class action suit. This action by T-Mobile leaves us no other recourse.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Don’t forget the FTC and PSC as well. I’ve heard that in states that regulate T-Mobile, a complaint to the PSC will require T-Mobile to respond. 

And the Better Business Bureau too.

(What is the PSC?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I suspect that the PSC is similar to PUC (Public Utilities Commission).

If I’m not mistaken, T-Mobile has NOT targeted California ‘yet’, as it has legal obligations with the state PUC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I suspect that the PSC is similar to PUC (Public Utilities Commission).

If I’m not mistaken, T-Mobile has NOT targeted California ‘yet’, as it has legal obligations with the state PUC.

Thanks. About not targeting California, I did receive a notice that my rate was going up, and I live in California. Although my June bill does not show a price change yet. We shall see.