Solved

Price Lock

Userlevel 4
Badge

On the Magenta 55+ it says taxes and fees are included in the price $70 (with auto pay) and is locked in for life. I just got a text saying my price is going up $5/month per phone.  What happened to my price lock GUARANTEE?  You can charge more to new customers, but do not change the terms of our contract!!  Eventually we will age out….

icon

Best answer by wireproof 22 May 2024, 21:44

View original

279 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So far .. I haven’t received the dreaded text… yet.

Mine would be much more … 4 lines + 1 free + Home Internet on T-Mobile One.

To make it more interesting - the 5th line was ‘free for life’ with One plan.  Similarly Home Internet is $25/month as long as I keep my existing plans.

TBH, I’m not surprised that a BIG set of plan/price changes were coming.  Neville Ray effectively created the good (got a lot of customers, T-Mobile+Sprint deal) with the bad … making promises/contracts that would allow customers to not have plan increases.

It will be interesting to see how many lawyers start jumping at this for a class action.

Everyone who has been affected by the increase needs to not only contact the FCC, but their AG's office, Better Business Bureau and your local TV station.  The more you reach out to, the more will hear you.

This is a true definition of Bait and Switch!!!!

Also file with the FTC

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So because of this price hike can I leave TMobile without worrying about the device installments??

It states ‘monthly recurring charges’.  I’m doubtful that it means ‘monthly intstallment payments’ … as not all have ‘monthly recurring charges.  I may be wrong.

This is probably the best take on the changes:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-confirms-the-news-customers-were-dreading-and-is-prepared-for-backlash_id158577

Userlevel 2

The part I marked red below seems important for protecting our options.  From the Terms & Conditions link provided by an earlier poster:

HOW CAN I DISPUTE MY CHARGES?

If you have any questions about your bill or want to dispute any Charges, please contact us by visiting www.T-Mobile.com, by calling 800-937-8997 or 611 from your Device, or by writing to T-Mobile Customer Relations, P.O. Box 37380, Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380. Puerto Rico customers may contact us at www.T-Mobile.com, by calling 1-800-937-8997 or 611 from your Device, or by writing to us at: T-Mobile Customer Relations, B7 Tabonuco Street, Suite 700, Guaynabo, Puerto Rico 00968-3349, Attn.: Customer Care Manager. If this does not fix things, please notify us in writing. Unless otherwise provided by law, you must notify us in writing of any dispute regarding your bill or Charges to your account within 60 days after the date you first receive the disputed bill or Charge. If you don’t, you may not pursue a claim in arbitration or in court. If you accept a credit, refund, or other compensation or benefit to resolve a disputed bill or Charge, you agree that the issue is fully and finally resolved, and T-Mobile shall be released from all liability regarding said dispute. Unless otherwise provided by law, you must pay disputed Charges until the dispute is resolved.

Userlevel 3

The January 2017 T-Mobile announcement from John Legere can be found here in full:  https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next   It’s also on the Wayback machine in the event they go ahead and delete it, and I’ve printed out and downloaded a copy as well.

Despite T-Mobile personnel trying to tell me it’s unclear, or that they’re only obligation is to pay my final bill if I decide to leave because of a price increase, they can’t change this iron-clad “Un-contract” after the fact. There’s nothing in that agreement that’s unclear, nor anything about paying my final bill.

Because I got nowhere on their PM chat on Facebook, or on a phone call with one of their managers, I’ve gone ahead and filed an inquiry with the FCC, as well as the Antitrust Division of the DOJ. Maybe something will come of it, and maybe not, but it’s worth a try, as T-Mobile clearly is in breach of contract. They waited until the dust settled from their merger with T-Mobile, which took a 4th carrier off the board, which confirms the fears of those who claimed the merger was anti-competitive. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a class action lawsuit brought over this as well, and I wouldn’t be opposed to being a party to that.

I too recall being promised price for life. Customer service is of no help at all. Time for a class action lawsuit.

Userlevel 3
Badge

When we signed up for a 55+ account 6.5 years ago, we were promised that the rate would never increase. 

I called customer service and they alternated between “we never promised that” and “that wasn’t a contract”. 

I would like to hear from management what the policy is here and how to arrange to keep our rate fixed as promised.

Userlevel 2

I just filed my complaint with the FTC this afternoon.

Userlevel 1

Are they saying our Magenta 55+ is no longer a qualifying rate plan ?????  

If you are on a price-lock guaranteed Rate Plan, we will not increase your monthly recurring Service charge (“Recurring Charge”) for the period that applies to your Rate Plan, or if no specific period applies, for as long as you continuously remain a customer in good standing on a qualifying Rate Plan. If you switch plans, the price-lock guarantee for your new Rate Plan will apply (if there is one). The price-lock guarantee is limited to your Recurring Charge and does not include, for example, add-on features, taxes, surcharges, fees, or charges for extra Features or Devices.

Not an attorney but sure seems like bait and switch to recruit us with a price lock guarantee, then raise rates.  Class action perhaps?

Userlevel 1

bait and switch. Unethical…

I too am on the 55+ plan and was told by T Mobile service representatives / had in writing on original documents when I first enrolled that i had a price lock guarantee!!! WHAT happen to that? Thats false advertising. I will switch to another company because that's just lying to your costumers and i want no part of a company like that. 

Userlevel 1

So, I just received a text.  My Magenta Unlimited 55 price lock guarantee is not being honored.  I was told by a representative the plan featues would not change, but the price now can; I was also told my plan is retired when I said it was now discontinued.  (I am not sure why that word was being used.)     Additionally, the page that lists all the information about the Magenta Unlimited 55 plan features is no longer available on the website.  I asked a service representative to email or text me a copy of the features of the plan so I can comparison shop with other plans, both in and out of the TMobile sphere, but she said she could not send it; she could only talk to me about it.   I am realizing a  $12 increase which equates to a 15% hike. I am feeling duped. I found multiple articles on the internet talking about the price lock guarantee on the Magenta Unlimited 55 plan.  Way to support your senior customers, TMobile!

Sure seems like a bait and switch.  Recruit us with a price guarantee, then increase prices! Shameful

Userlevel 1

Does anyone have the documentation rate lock guarantee for the magenta plan?

This seems like fraud to me!! I called the number for customer service and the lady told me she couldn’t take a complaint, but that I could mail one to this address:

Tmobile Wireless

PO Box 37380

Albuquerque, New Mexico

87176-7380

I have submitted complaints with BBB and the other one recommended above. Please submit your own as well! They shouldn’t be able to take advantage of us like this. I will be looking for another mobile service.

Userlevel 1

Bait and switch

Unethical

lack of commitment to their customers

and just plain lousy

I’ve created a pdf document of that web page as well.  I say we scream bloody hell about this so if anybody has suggestions about what to do and who to contact share them please.  T-Mobile just thinks by sending a low key message and saying that they haven't raised rates in 10 years that we’re just going to sit back and take it.  Negative. I am in no mode for that.  I’m in the mood for giving T-Mobile so much negative press that they won't know what hit them.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The part I marked red below seems important for protecting our options.  From the Terms & Conditions link provided by an earlier poster:

HOW CAN I DISPUTE MY CHARGES?

If you have any questions about your bill or want to dispute any Charges, please contact us by visiting www.T-Mobile.com, by calling 800-937-8997 or 611 from your Device, or by writing to T-Mobile Customer Relations, P.O. Box 37380, Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380. Puerto Rico customers may contact us at www.T-Mobile.com, by calling 1-800-937-8997 or 611 from your Device, or by writing to us at: T-Mobile Customer Relations, B7 Tabonuco Street, Suite 700, Guaynabo, Puerto Rico 00968-3349, Attn.: Customer Care Manager. If this does not fix things, please notify us in writing. Unless otherwise provided by law, you must notify us in writing of any dispute regarding your bill or Charges to your account within 60 days after the date you first receive the disputed bill or Charge. If you don’t, you may not pursue a claim in arbitration or in court. If you accept a credit, refund, or other compensation or benefit to resolve a disputed bill or Charge, you agree that the issue is fully and finally resolved, and T-Mobile shall be released from all liability regarding said dispute. Unless otherwise provided by law, you must pay disputed Charges until the dispute is resolved.

This will come in handy after those of us who stay with T-Mobile get billed the additional cost, as we cannot dispute what hasn’t been billed yet. T-Mobile can still decide to stop this rollout if enough people fight against it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I received a text message today from T-mobile of a price increase starting on June 5, 2024 on some old service plans.  The text message is unclear as it states on SOME PLANS.  I like to know if my current service plan will be affected by this rate increase.  My current plan is the 2 Lines TMO ONE All In Promo.  We signed up in March 2017.  Our plan price is covered by T-Mobile’s Price Lock guarantee for as long as we have this plan at the time we signed up for this.  T-mobile CANNOT change the term of the contract when we signed up knowing that the price is LOCKED IN guarantee.  Please confirm what we are currently paying will remain the same WITH NO price increase.   Thank you for your help!

I am on a Military Plan and got this message during Military Appreciation Month.  Nicely done indeed TMobile!  "Uncarrier" My ...

Userlevel 1

It’s going to cost them $50 a month as soon as I find a new plan. I filled a complaint with the FCC they promised me my 55+ plan was locked in and it would never increase in 2021!!! Everyone should join in on the class action lawsuit. I’m in! 

I also was promised a price for life when i signed up for the 55 plan a number of years ago. This is absolutely a breach of their agreement to try to raise prices by $5 per line. If a class action attorney sees this reply, feel free to contact me (vegasvice@aol.com) to be a lead plaintiff in a class action lawsuit. We also should submit complaints to the FCC but I think a class action lawyer would want to litigate this egregious fraud by T Mobile.

Userlevel 3

I’ve done 3 things today…. filed a complaint with the FCC, another with the Antitrust Division of the DOJ, and a third with the Nevada Attorney General. Nevada was one of 13 states that filed suit to try to block the T-Mobile merger with Sprint on anti-trust grounds. I don’t know any attorneys, but I’m hoping as news spreads about the outrage customers are feeling, that one will pick up the ball and run with it. Web sites are blowing up over this, and it won’t be long, I believe, before a class action suit is filed for breach of contract.

I have already called and talked to customer service and basically they plan to no longer honor the price lock even to older accounts even though it states on their page that plans prior to Jan 2024 still qualify for the old price lock terms. They said they will only honor the new terms of paying your final bill if you switch because of the change. 

I too received a text today and they told me the same. Going up $5 for each line and explain I was grandfathered in and even called a while back to opt out and when I called they rest assure it will not go up , yet today they say will go up. To me this is high way robbery by corporate America doing as they please to our seniors . I have been a loyal customer for over 22 yrs and they don’t care. America is falling about and destroying us all and don’t care about our seniors and veterans. We need to contact our representatives and let them know and put pressure on them.

Thanks and good idea to complain to the FCC.  My plan was also had a lock on price and I was just notified of the 5.00 increase.  T-Mobile was desperate a few years ago to increase their customer base and offered these good deals and now they just think they can take it back because their shareholders want more profit.... No doubt a lawsuit is coming, it's sad to think their management has no real integrity.

Userlevel 2

I have been with T-Mobile for 6-years.  They were A+ until today.  Signed up with T-Mobile in 2018.  This was their 55+ plan which was $30/line, locked in for life.  They absolutely stated "FOR LIFE" and I thought that was awesome.  Now they have fallen to a D grade in my mind because I cannot trust them or what they tell me.  It’s been a long time since I lost trust in a company this quickly.  Their customer service agents don’t even seem to know what the term “Grandfathered-in” even means.  I’ve repeatedly been told it means:  “An old plan that is no longer offered.”  Who educated and trained someone to say something like that?  I was told that it had to do with Inflation.  Dishonoring your contract has to do with Inflation?  I do hope they reverse this terrible decision based on customer feedback.  All they told me was that I could write to a P.O. Box in New Mexico to complain.   

Userlevel 1